How did they get an adaptation so wrong? the creator of warcraft literally wrote a script for duncan jones

how did they get an adaptation so wrong? the creator of warcraft literally wrote a script for duncan jones

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Leavitt.
youtube.com/watch?v=WPlnHw7MfME
youtube.com/watch?v=mcLIKwXiUm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>how did they get an adaptation so wrong?
>the creator of warcraft literally wrote a script for duncan jones

You answered your own question

The creative director* of warcraft can't write a good story to save his life.

I play wow and thought it was true to the game

if youre talking about the story its just that, an adaptation its never a like for like story rip

>I play wow

This was the main problem

It's close enough to the book which was a re-imagining of the lore of the first game, I had no problem with it.

LOL HE POLY'D HIM OMG LMAO

>close enough to the book

Which book?

terribly paced and starring a group of actors that should kill themselves

I think it's The Rise of the Horde. I think it's also what sort of served as the basis of Warlords, which is to say it basically kind of became the canon early lore, since in WC1 the orcs were just straight up cunts.

As ab Asian, this faggot infuriates me. Like fine, if you want to has asian elves in your movie, at least get some k-pop looking male model for the role.
Instead, we got this wide face, nigger lip monkey to play an elf. That is some immersion breaking bullshit. Then to add salt to injury, they gave him a shitty and be like "hey guys, this is not just an asian elf, it's a badass asian elf."

I blame everyone responsible for this. Most of all, I despise the actor who accepted to the role. How the fuck can this imbecile look in the mirror and say I can pull it off as an elf. Know your worth, you absolute piece of shit.

>Rise of the Horde

That explains it. There was an okay book they should've based it on instead but Jones is a WoWfag I bet.

>they gave him a shitty scar

They spent all the budget on marketing.

I don't understand what you mean ? The other writer besides Duncan, did not create "Warcraft" en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Leavitt. A dude is just another screenwriter / something, though.

Got a head like a watermelon.

I liked it but it would have done better in 2010

so? and the murloc, member the griffin master?, nothing wrong with a bit of light fan service

youtube.com/watch?v=WPlnHw7MfME

The true Warcraft kino.

Literally all they needed was a little bit more narration at the start explaining the worlds a bit more, and nobody would have been confused.

The film would have done fine and made more than enough to justify a sequel if the budget hadn't been so ridiculously high for no reason. I don't know where that money was going because it didn't really look THAT great visually.

As it is it did pretty well in China but was still considered a failure.

>the creator of warcraft literally wrote a script for duncan jones
The creator of Warcraft forgot the blue people were originally demons and made them into space catholics who ran away from their original planet on a giant crystal spaceship.

Why was the human acting so fucking wooden? I wasn't expecting anything great but I was hoping I'd at least get the cheesy WoW tier acting.

What the fuck? What characters does this refer to?

It's because they cast all these literal whos with no acting experience. I have no idea how they spent so much money on this film with actors like this.

Also: The guy who played Gul'dan was an awful choice and did a terrible job, which is annoying because Gul'dan's voice is awesome in the games. I guess he's the guy in Into the Badlands though? He does a better job there. No idea why they didn't just get the game voice actors for the orcs though, they're CGI so why would it have mattered?

Look up "draenei retcon".

what did you mean by this? what the fuck

who cares about the year? are you an autistic homo?

Don't be an idiot. He said it would have DONE better in 2010, not BEEN better. That's because there was little to challenge it in 2010 and people were spending more money on movies.

JUST

All it needed was a lesbian sex scene between a Draenei and a Night Elf.

fuck you all, I still liked it despite it's flaws

it went for it, you know? you can't take that away from it

What. The Fuck. Does this post. Mean?

I just want a frozen throne movie please

Cast your perfect Arthas.

Charlie Hunnam if he could act.

Fuck that. Cast the whole thing.

>Arthas
>Uther
>Jaina
>Sylvanas
>Kel'thuzad
>Terenas
>Falric
>Marwin
>Muradin
>Voice of Ner'zhul
>Anub'Arak

He can, you jerk.

Andy Serkis for Anub'Arak mocap.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie even with all of the canon changesm cringey dialogue, and general cheesy shit. It was a lot of fun.

I'm hoping we get an Arthas / Frozen Throne movie since that is a more concise and straightforward story that doesn't need a lot of backstory / setup. Only way I can really see them kind of screwing it up is with Arthas fighting Illidan at the base of icecrown.

Overall fun movie. Has a good amount of flaws but I wasn't expecting Lord of the Rings. 7/10. Hope we get a Frozen Throne movie.

>Jaina
Eddie Redmayne.

it was fine actually. funny how adaptations work

You need a voice / possible actor for a very brief Illidan appearance too because of the fight before Arthas climbs Icecrown and becomes the Lich King.

Should have been World of Warcraft instead of Warcraft.

>>Voice of Ner'zhul
Bendadick Cuminabitch

What the hell was up with the Glenn Close cameo? Is she a fan of the series or something?

>I'm hoping we get an Arthas / Frozen Throne movie since that is a more concise and straightforward story that doesn't need a lot of backstory / setup.

I'm glad to hear that because Duncan Jones said that if he did a sequel he would have to make it on a much smaller budget.

Actually, Duncan Jones is the one who's a fan of her, and had enough sway in Hollywood that he could ask "Hey, can you be in this movie?" and she said yes because she likes him.

I'll be honest, it still is a pretty big scope. It is however a lot less than what they had to work with for Warcraft, with multiple worlds, an entire lore to establish, etc etc. There are a lot of characters and story to tell, however a lot of it is confined within itself through Arthas and doesn't need much back and forth through multiple viewpoints to tell.

It really is sad that Warcraft didn't do so well because the Arthas story really is great I feel and more easily digestible for a general audience.

>Cast your perfect Arthas.
Acting wouldn't really be the important part in a cheesy Warcraft movie, even for a tragic type like Arthas.
So long as he could pull off basic expressions, it'd be the look that would be the major selling point. You just need some heavy-skulled, hard looking white boy (not ginger obviously).

This probably sounds weird, but I think a major blow for the recent Warcraft movie was that too many of the humans just didn't "look" the part. That powerful mage guy that went bad was the most believable purely because of his appearance, not his acting ability.

You need more classic strong stereotypes and almost caricatures for Warcraft humans, not what they cast.

cringe

>This probably sounds weird, but I think a major blow for the recent Warcraft movie was that too many of the humans just didn't "look" the part. That powerful mage guy that went bad was the most believable purely because of his appearance, not his acting ability.

No, I definitely get that. Though I think it's weird that you list Medivh's actor as an example of one of the good ones because the dude looked like a dude who works tech support at Best Buy. Not much like a wizard.

How do you guys think they can fit the entire Arthas story into one movie without some serious generalization?

Remember, the story includes major figures such as The Burning Legion, Orcs (ner'zhul), multiple Dreadlords, attacks on major cities, in-fighting and conflict with allies such as Jaina and Sylvanas, Outworld connection with Illidan, Uther as a mentor and foe, Muradin and the journey to Northrend, Frostmourn discovery and corruption, entirety of Azjol'Nerub, Anub'arak, Icecrown, Scourge, CULLING OF STRATHOLME, Frozne Throne

Shit man, how would they pull this off without some major plot teleporting / exclusion?

They should have just made a netflix series. It would have allowed for better pacing, and been overall better.

Maybe they will make multiple movies if they decide to make it.

Or this. Hell, this seems entirely plausible as something that could still happen. Assassin's Creed bombed and is still getting a Netflix series.

>the dude looked like a dude who works tech support at Best Buy.
lmao
tech wizard

youtube.com/watch?v=mcLIKwXiUm0

I never played wow and I liked it, fight me

Well it's not based on WoW which seems to be a common misconception with non-gamers.

That said, I am a gamer and still haven't played any of the Warcraft games and I liked it. I've only played Heroes of the Storm, and the majority of it not until after having seen this film. I find it really weird that people claimed it was hard to follow for people who hadn't played the games because it wasn't. At all.

>Uther

People were expecting Warcraft: Orcs & Humans. Not WoW the movie. Why they weren't expecting the latter I do not know. WoW has had so much time travel shit that the timeline is all sorts of wonky now.

the movie was Orcs and Humans tho, we barely saw any other races
It had other major flaws
For example Orcs win in the first war which didn't happen in the movie so the whole sequels plot is fucked

>For example Orcs win in the first war which didn't happen in the movie
Huh? Isn't that exactly what happened? The king got killed and the humans had to retreat helplessly. It was an immensely unsatisfying ending.

>Muradin
Danny Devito

Vidya writer can't write an entertaining movie

You can't really put all Arthas' story especially Ice Crown without including other TFT campaigns.
You need at least 3 movies (1 for human campaign and 2 for undead overlapping with Illidan's story) just to cover Reign of Chaos story. And you can't just gloss over global shit like Archimonde's attack on world's tree.
And who knows how many movies to cover TFT story.
It's impossible without heavy plot editing

my sides

TIMES CHANGE

Yeah, sounds like this really would be better as a Netflix series instead of a movie. Hopefully they do something like that.

EVERYONE IS GETTING CORRUPTED

when warcraft was first announced and post release tons of people were saying it should've been a series. not just Sup Forums, but even wow players. i think warcraft would carry whoever decided to pick it up GoT style.

I actually enjoyed it. By that I mean I accept that on many aspects it was very bad, but as a cheesy sword and sorcery fantasy movie it was enjoyable and fun.
We don't get a lot of movies like that anymore so I guess I liked it for being different enough.

This. Frozen Throne is the Darth Vader origin story except done right

Oops! I dropped my monster scabbard, for my magnum sword

>the creator of warcraft

Chris metzen did not create warcraft.

The original story of Warcraft that everything builds on it boring as fuck.

Plus they removed any bits of lore that would actually explain things and set up sequels like Seragas and drinking the Fel Blood shit.

They movie should have been ah;f an hour of lore more. Nice digits but...

>Seragas

I turned it off when the CGI Dwarf appeared

>the creator of warcraft literally wrote a script
That's exactly the problem.

Videogame creators are programmers and designers, not writers. They still haven't learnt to hire actual people who know how to tell stories.
Just look at shit like The Last of Us getting 10/10s when the writing would barely be average as a film or TV show.

Our industry has low standards.

Whatever the fuck his name was, they could have added a ten minute intro explaining WHY the Orcs were invading and it would have helped the movie greatly.

>it's one of those gooks that gets xenophobic about other gooks
You all look the same m8