Why didn't they just take a helicopter up the river?

Why didn't they just take a helicopter up the river?

What the fuck dude is everhthing lord of the rings? Also it was supposed to be discrete.

Real answer: probably bad writing
In-universe answer: to give Willard time to familiarize himself with all the Kurtz intel

No the real answer is because it was a contemporary adaptation of Heart of Darkness and also it's a fucking movie

Because Kurtz would've had them shot out of the sky.

>bad writing
Doesn't change the fact it's still a 10/10 movie.

How can a helicopter land in the tree covered jungle?

Sure. I consider it to be one of the greatest movies ever made. But it's not perfect. The military logic of sending Willard up river in a random boat of ordinary soldiers is questionable.

They were going to Cambodia, they weren't supposed to be there.

Also the further up the river, the more dangerous it got. Hence the downed aircraft the further up they went.

>The military logic of sending Willard up river in a random boat of ordinary soldiers is questionable.
Is it?

Of course. The more sensible thing to do would have been to insert him using a special crew of special ops types.

Do you not remember the scene where they drift past the helicopter that had gotten shot down and landed in a tree with all the dead soldier sprung out around it? That's why

Willard was the special ops type

where were they going to land it?

Ok. Why? Was it as important as Willard thought it was to kill Kurtz?

Yeah, but they could have found some more special ops types to go with him on the boat rather than bringing random sailors who couldn't even be told what the mission was about along.

Yes, realistically they would have sent Special Forces and probably some Civil Affairs operators too.

What are you assuming about Kurtz?

The spooks who briefed Willard obviously thought it was important.

How important? Why are you trusting their authority here?

yeah, it's ridiculous

they would have gone in with the period equivalent of an SF CAT, maybe supported by CA

Well, Willard was a sharp enough cookie that I assume that if he smelled something was off about the mission he would have clued us into it in one of his voice-overs.
That said, I suppose that if secrecy was of the utmost importance it might have made sense to send just one guy who knew about the full mission.

>Well, Willard was a sharp enough cookie that I assume that if he smelled something was off about the mission he would have clued us into it in one of his voice-overs.
He was a very smart guy, but he was completely under the authority of the American military. So much so that he only killed Kurtz when he was given permission to by Kurtz. I'm not saying any of these suggestions are wrong, and I'm not suggesting that FFC has Hemingway's literary ability. I'm just wondering what our assumptions are based off of. You all seem to know more than I do about military operations.

In modern times, you don't want to land on the x because it's loud and a dead giveaway that you have arrived. You bail out somewhere else and walk to the objective. I'm not sure if they did that in Vietnam though. They might have taken the boat because they weren't big on helicopter travel, because in Vietnam helicopters got shot down a lot.

You can fast rope if there are any gaps in the canopy, like a tiny meadow, you could fast-rope down. I wouldn't attempt it, but it's not impossible.

Did you even watch the fucking movie? Or were you just born retarded?

>Real answer: probably bad writing
>discreet mission into Cambodia
>take helicoptor there

Are you retarded? It's much lower profile to use a patrol boat because we had them all over the river. They even say this in the movie.

Did you guys actually watch the movie?

>everything needs to be spelled out for me in order for me to believe it
yeah dude and I'm the retard

>How important?
Important enough for a lieutenant general and the CIA to be involved.
>Why are you trusting their authority here?
They are had enough authority to commit the resources they did. You don't get to order colonels around and make air-strikes into a foreign country that you're not even at war with if you don't have a good deal of authority.

did you not see the all the crashed helicopters upstream? Or was that only in Redux?

>going to Cambodia, being discreet
>helicopters are easy to shoot down, as shown in the movie, multiple times
>after killing him, how are they supposed to get back in a helicopter after being dropped off?
>boat is only answer

Yeah dude, you are a fucking retard. Every question you ask was answered in the movie.

Sure, it makes sense to take a boat into Cambodia. The question is: why not take a helicopter to close to the Cambodian border and then a boat the rest of the way? What's the point of taking a boat across all that territory in Vietnam?

can't. the guys repel down from the helicopters. i forget the name of the battle but i remember reading about one where we couldn't repel enough guys down fast enough to defend against an attack.

Well if that's the case, why are foot soldiers even a thing?

Yeah. Just fly a helicopter to Cambodia (which legally we weren't even allowed to be in) doing a top secret mission no one can know about into a literal death trap to kill a fellow U.S. soldier. Also, just shoot him in the leg so you don't kill him.

This thread is retarded.

>literally state the only reason theyre taking boat is because its quiet enough that people wouldnt be suspicious or surprised
>objective is to get close enough to the border than hump
Williard tells you everything you need to know 10 mins into the movie

SOME FOLKS ARE BORN

>getting that close to Cambodian during the height of Vietnam
Not only do you not know history but you have no idea how much attention that would draw

again, you're the person who trusts everything they see, and that makes me a retard

Fuel. Enemy .50 cals. Stealth.

the slopes had AA guns
the military probably wanted to keep the mission as classified as possible so sent a bunch of expendables who had no idea what was happening to go along with charlie sheen

I assume that the US and SV militaries were conducting operations close to the Cambodian border fairly frequently. If so, it would have been easy to insert Willard and the boat team close to the border under cover of a routine operation.

>Well if that's the case, why are foot soldiers even a thing

fucking civvie, you don't know shit

Leg 11B's exist for major offensives and long/short-range patrol, that's pretty much it. Air assault 11B is for seizing air strips. Airborne 11B is the same as leg because there hasn't been a major jump since like WWII.

Special Operations are the future of warfare, though, so you're on the right track despite being completely ignorant.

t. Special Operations MOS

You'tr constructing a plot in your mind that doesn't exist.

Just checked and in the original they're there.

how the fuck am i supposed to know whether or not it exists until i've examined every aspect of it?on the other hand a bunch of virgins and neets on an anime chat board are somehow more intelligent than a movie that's worth more than all of their lives combined.

You know what they say when you assume things. You make an ass out of u am me.

Yeah Ok operator, and I make a million bucks as a chef for Wendys

>taking the easy way out

That ain't them.

But judging by your questions it's almost as if you weren't paying attention to the movie, or you were are just too dumb to understand it.

You keep asking "Why didn't they do X" when the reasoning for not doing X is clearly explained in the film.

why arent black ppl special forces

I'm a

>Civil Affairs Operator

I've done my time at SWCS, I can talk shit now.

>fucking civvie

no one actually says that. also learn to read

they unironically can't swim

Same reason why they aren't in combat arms, they use it as a jobs program to get out of bad situations (nothing wrong with that!). That being said, there's a black staff sergeant I see at the SWCS DFAC with SF/Ranger/Sapper/Airborne on his shoulder.

alright man if you don't want to challenge your assumptions that's fine but don't call me an asshole for it

It would take me a while to dig up evidence for a solid analysis, but I'm pretty well acquainted with the military history of the Vietnam war as a military history buff, and I don't see any reason why a team couldn't have been inserted close to the Cambodian border at almost any point in the war. We don't know where in Vietnam the movie is supposed to take place, but Vietnam is narrow. Saigon was only about 30 miles from the Cambodian border. It's not like the Cambodian border was ridiculously far away from the areas where the US was constantly operating.

I say that

go fuck yourself

god you're a piece of shit. i hardly asked anything about what the movie actually was, i'm asking about what people thought of the movie you fucking retard.

Kek

i read a book on navy seal training where they get hogtied and get thrown into the pool and have to swim to the other end.
apparently they had a black guy go first and he sank straight to the bottom and had to be rescued.

BAHAHAHAHAHA FAGGOT

Real world he probably would have a sheep-dipped ID and rank, and been flown in from Thailand (look at a map) via an Air America heli, then walked in the last 20 miles. But not solo.

There were tons of places in South Vietnam where you simply couldn't land a heli unnoticed. The VC watched available LZs.

The expectation was that he probably was going to get killed trying to kill Kurtz, and hence the B-52 strike standing by. Flatten the place, cover up and evidence.