Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space
metacritic.com/movie/the-void
imdb.com/title/tt2793490/?ref_=nv_sr_1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think there aren't
still, some people say The Void has some Lovecraft-like elements
and you'll probably be recommended In The Mouth Of Madness

Hollywood will never make a good Lovecraft movie because they just focus on le epic monsters, not the real substance in the stories

>The Void has some Lovecraft-like elements
The whole plot and ending.

Bloodborne is unironically the best thing inspired by Lovecraft in recent years

Harry Potter and the Aeons of Ineffable Horrors

The Pest

re animator

this is pretty much it.

Dagon
>ReAnimator
>In The Mouth Of Madness

Avoid The Void.

>inb4 Bloodbornefags derail the thread

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space

Hellboy is pretty comfy Cosmic Horror Kino.

Hellboy

>hellboy movies
>lovecraftian

kys'

I know it's a meme, but True Detective has some pretty interesting Lovecraft elements

Hellraiser

>interesting Lovecraft elements
It doesn't. It has cosmic-horror themes but that's it.

Dagon is pretty good, while the change of the location away from New England does almost ruin it, as does the fairly bad effects and overall gimmicky mood, the scene in the hotel with the door is really good. It's actually an aspect of Lovecraft's writings that is forgotten; there's several pretty good action-horror sequences, like the one in Shadow over Innsmouth that the movie is adapting or the one in the Color out of Space when the protagonist is running away near the end.

More "ian" is the Blair Witch Project

It wasn't written by Lovecraft, if that's what you mean. It's certainly Lovecraftian.

those movies suck and comic books are for children

It really isn't. It's got themes he uses but it's not lovecraftian. Do you read Robert E Howard works and think, shit this guy stole all of lovecrafts ideas?

The Call of Cthulu movie

Lovecraft, if nothing else, was very factual in his work.
>A common dramatic device in Lovecraft's work is to associate virtue, intellect, elevated class position, civilization, and rationality with white Anglo-Saxon ethnicity, which he often posed in contrast to the corrupt, intellectually inferior, uncivilized and irrational, which he associated with people he characterized as being of lower class, impure racial "stock" and/or non European ethnicity and dark skin complexion who were often the villains in his writings.

Dagon.

It would've been interesting if it had gone full-on cosmic horror/lovecratfian in the second half of the first season, instead of pulling the "the retard did it" card from its ass. It was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever felt watching a movie or TV series ever. I didn't sit through all that shitty existentialism and nihilism just so I could watch how they capture the obvious Boo Radley knock-off in a plot-twist so uninteresting and unoriginal you could sell it to china.

I'm of the exact same mind user and I can't agree or have said it better myself how I feel about it

avoid the noid

go back to /lit/ guy

THE NOID

I have never seen a good adaptation of a Lovecraft story. One particularly bad one had this gem of a line though "I kiss my lovins and wake up with the bad things."

THE NOID

>/lit/ reading fantasy

Definitely the Void. I know some people on this board think its low-budget bait but honestly for me it had the perfect mixture of gross-out practical effects body horror and beyond the realm of comprehension terror. Also Windom Earle really knocked it out of the park as the villain and the ending was fantastic

Sure shill. It's almost universally panned except for the practicals

contrarian faggot metacritic.com/movie/the-void

>uses an aggregator site to form his opinions
>uses this as a defense

Reddit misses you

>The Void - IMDB - 5.8/10
>Dagon - IMDB - 6.3/10

>/lit/ reading

It's just as bad as here. People would rather meme what their tertiary sources on Plato said rather than actually read what he wrote there

Dagon was kind of neat.

I imagine the non-English language they used in the film was butchered like hell.

The spanish or the old one speak?

Was that Spanish then?

fuck back off to Sup Forums

Yeah, the films made by the spanish, featuring a spanish town and the local dialect, spanish.

Bloodborne

there, fight me

>In the Mouth of Madness - IMDB - 7.2/10
>Re-Animator - IMDB - 7.2/10
>Hellraiser - IMDB - 7/10

Stop recommending Mouth of Memeness you plebbit monkeys.

Why? It's lovecraftian, directed and written by Carpenter, has 3 great actors. What's not too love?

>it's lovecraftian
Stop.

Explain how it isn't

topcatcuck

Event Horizon. It's cosmic horror at it's core but gets overshadowed by some of the worst 90s tropes. Also Sam Neil.

Yea cause oooh big scary monster would have definitely been a earth shatteringly original ending.

that's not a movie you fucking little fag

Dagon
The Thing
The Void

You want a movie that dances around the idea of how horribly scary somthing is without describing or showing it?

You know, half of lovecrafts villains are actually just simple men doing crazy stuff. Often it's not even that, but rather the protagonist's overactive imagination. Actual monsters and eldritch abominations are never seen.

The Void and Mouth of Madness with this theme quite well which is why people always recommend them.

>GDT at the mountains of madness will never be made

kill me

There was an episode of Masters of Horror which adapted Dreams in the Witch House but it wasn't very good, just read the story

Scooby Doo, Mystery Incorporated.

>GDT at the mountains of madness will never be made

give it 5 years or so when Prometheius has been thoroughly forgotten about and it will resurface , perhaps they will even learn a few lessons to apply to it from Prometheius intense mediocrity

Howard Lovecraft and the Frozen Kingdom.

>ywn tame a mini-Cthulhu and call him "Spot"

the burden of proof is on you

Del Toro was working on "At the mountains of madness" (the one in Antarctica) but the project is dead at this point I think?

how do you adapt something when the climax involves seeing something that cant be comprehended

>but the project is dead at this point I think?

yes , prometheus killed it.

Should someone as aggressively bigoted and racist as Lovecraft really be praised and celebrated the way he is?

Would it be better to forget the man and just celebrate the genre? Or is he inextricably related to cosmic horror?

Serious question.

I don't know about movies, but Darkest Dungeon is a great Lovecraftian video game.

meh his racism is pretty tame by the standards of the day and even now not really worth much consideration, its only the tumblr crowd that have recently discovered that books exist and are doing their usual character assassination on someone who has come to prominence for some reason they dont care about.

>Or is he inextricably related to cosmic horror?

pretty much yes , and his name has become a catch all term for "otherworldly horror" regardless of its relation to his work.

>X is Y so X cant also be Z

>Should someone as aggressively bigoted and racist as Lovecraft really be praised and celebrated the way he is?
Yes.
People like you, on the other hand, should be shot on sight.

>his racism is pretty tame by the standards of the day
Except plenty of his contemporaries thought he was a dick. He was actually pretty extreme even by early 20th century standards.

The Thing
Alien
In the mouth of madness
Black Mountainside
The Void
Event Horizon

all have various lovecraft elements, some inexplicable monster, beast, Alien race which has no explanation, main characters going mad, reality fucking up etc

Pisses me off when idiots like have no idea about lovecraft other man "MUH SPOOKY CTHULU" shit

Not that user, but thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't tell that he wasn't talking about a movie (even though he said thing and not movie). You're very smart and helpful for pointing that out.

Lovecraft doesn't mean hammy melodrama.

Sup Forums is cosmic horror.

It drives sane men mad.

Kill yourself.

Serious suggestion.

This.

The question you should be asking is whether Lovecraft's intellectual capacity supercedes yours and if so why would you then question his views on race.

Most anons were already nuts in fact.

Jacob's Ladder is often forgotten for some reason, yet it's one of the most interesting movie of this genre.

I think what user is trying to say is that in practical terms it leans on more Stephen King-ish material. I'd argue it's the other way around, the whole narrative is very King-esque, but the way it's visually conveyed is true to Lovecraft.

That's true, but he was also anti-semite and he still ended up marrying a Slavic woman from a Jewish family. It's fair to say his racism kinda dropped by a wide margin by the end of his (middle-aged) life.
On that note, the worst fallacy of racism is that it is inherent and cannot be changed. As for the original question of user, that is a bit like asking whether Triumph of the Will or Birth of a Nation can be held to such high (if for nothing else, technical) regard, even when every movie, especially Hollywood spectacles carry their genetics.

>He was actually pretty extreme even by early 20th century standards.

>writes that he doesnt like blacks and minorities, meanwhile segregation was in full effect.

>pretty extreme

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Lovecraftian movie about fish rape when?

They're re-doing the ones about apes, so not long now.

Except Lovecraft describes the monsters in great detail in quite a few of his stories.

Which doesn't work on camera unfortunately.

DUDE NON EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY

wouldnt be hard to do with CG at all , hell some games have impossible geometry .

the difficult part is working it into a movie

Despite the fact people are gonna get buttmad at you for wondering, I think the question's important too. I come from a mixed family and fucking adore Lovecraft, so his stance on race usually comes up after I mention he's one of my favourite authors.

I want to preface what I think with the fact that for most people, this question isn't gonna matter much. I'd say maybe 70% of the people who know about Cthulhu have probably just ambiently absorbed it from pop culture, and mostly like the general aesthetic of the thing. They're probably not going to read the original work (outside The Call of Cthulhu), and aren't going to really be faced with the all-encompassing effect Howie's views had on his work. They're more about the aesthetic and "feel" rather than the detail of the horror content. Which is fine, I guess.

But for people who read his work, the question's pretty valid. And honestly? The answer's complicated, but you can tl;dr it to "It's fine". It's not a case of it being either "He's irrevocably linked" or "The genre is bigger than him" - it's more a case of whether the kind of racism he's got in there is harmfully relevant to what we're facing today, and whether it's frivolous. I'd say no to both.

H.P. Lovecraft's racism isn't just a prejudice, it's an entire emotional indicator. The images he paints of minorities are so antiquated and bound up in stereotype, that it's hard to fully marry them with the people we see today. Sure, you might meet some black people who resemble the horrible caricatures in Reanimator - but unless you're a Sup Forumstard, you'd probably find it hard to amplify out the kind of pantomimic stereotypes Lovecraft projects to the wider population. It was a product of his time, for sure, but I think what excuses it is the fact that time has made his fearful caricatures unfamiliar and ineffective as anything more than narrative tools.

>I dislike Lovecraft/Conrad/etc. because they were openly racist
is just close minded as
>I dislike [black author] because he's black
or
>I dislike [female author] because she's female
Art is art regardless of whether the person who made it liked basketball/wore makeup/hated niggers. Death of the author and shiet.

And the key word here is "fearful". The racism Lovecraft employs isn't hateful, it's utterly terrified. It paints a picture of a man who, through his work, explores not only the horror of the hypothetical, but also his own fears about the world in which he lives.

The tribal, the negro, the native, all represent that sheer, neverending anxiety that Lovecraft felt when he left the house. Stereotype made it easy to associate these figures as embodiments of violence, occultism and unknown threat. There's no denying Lovecraft was a racist, just like many other men of his time. However, his racism seems less aggressive, and more frightened. It's a vehicle for something more primal and important not only to the author but to the vital fabric of his stories: the idea that in all places, there is danger. Race is (or was) an easy and familiar cultural vehicle to express those feelings.

We shouldn't celebrate the sentiment, I think, but it's no reason to put down Lovecraft entirely. There's only so much one can escape the bounds of time and culture, and it's relatively easy to simply read his representation of all races (natives, blacks and Innsmouth townfolk alike) as an extension of his fears.

All work becomes problematic with time. It's the problem of staticness. The only part that we can change is the way in which we choose to interpret that work, and the qualities in it that we decide to value. If we completely expunged Lovecraft's feelings of racism from his work, they'd certainly represent a much less offensive work - but we must decide whether it's worth losing a horrific and beautiful facet of what made his horror so effective.

Not based on Lovecraft but nails the tone

>All work becomes problematic with time. It's the problem of staticness. The only part that we can change is the way in which we choose to interpret that work, and the qualities in it that we decide to value.
That's probably the best way of putting it.
It's like if a Roman dude wrote some racist shit about how Goths are all criminals who ruin fine Roman neighbourhoods nobody today would bat an eye because we're a thousand years divorced from when that might have been politically/culturally relevant.
Right now reading the word nigger gives people a wobbly, put a few more centuries between society and the last 350 years of the first millennium and it will exist as a innocuous historical artefact only.
With that in mind any offence taken at Lovecraft's antiquated views is inherently temporary, and since his work will outlive everyone alive today, anyone with a sound mind would have to concede that getting upset about it is pointless.

Possession (1981) steers towards cosmic horror through the course of the film. WATCH IT

No.

imdb.com/title/tt2793490/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Starry Eyes was a reasonable attempt, got the mood right.