DUNKIRK

What we know so far:

>a big budget film that is not a remake/reboot/sequel/prequel
>full white male cast
>all the soldiers will be nameless with no history being told
>zero propaganda, the focus is the physical situation they were in, not sentimentality or fake empathy for the characters
>as minimal as possible dialogue, everything will be told purely through visuals and audio, that's why it's the shortest Nolan film since Following
>Nolan made a conscious decision to never show German soldiers on screen to accurately convey the perspective of the soldiers on the beach—for whom contact with the enemy was "extremely limited and intermittent"
>"The empathy for the characters has nothing to do with their story. I did not want to go through the dialogue, tell the story of my characters… The problem is not who they are, who they pretend to be or where they come from. The only question I was interested in was: Will they get out of it? Will they be killed by the next bomb while trying to join the mole? Or will they be crushed by a boat while crossing?"

KINO INBOUND

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n1VJ39nVIBk?t=5m32s
youtube.com/watch?v=gTv_4DPQUnQ
dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3610394/325-extras-cardboard-cut-outs-line-beaches-recreate-World-War-II-evacuation-330-000-soldiers-epic-new-movie-Dunkirk.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PqthvLXonBc
youtube.com/watch?v=D2gfMxETEms
youtube.com/watch?v=DeyBsyx3uCE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>zero propaganda
>anglos depicting running away as some kind of win

heh

DUNKINO

>56%
>portrayed as a great country
Why I don't watch american flicks

>movie about English and French people
>all white cast
how am I supposed to take this movie seriously?

FIFTY
SIX
%

will they at least mention holocaust? sorry i dont watch hollywood films which dont.

>anglo

>hops on a boat while the French fight and die to cover his retreat
>70 years later he has the gall to post about America grinding his malformed teeth at the irrelevance of the UK

Sad desu

>ran away in the pacific
>lost to rice farmers
>white minority in 5 years
>still thinks he can make fun of anyone else
>you yourself are in all certainty overweight
lol!

all praise nolan the memegod

>What we know so far
almost 50 years after Battle of Britain, it will have weaker aerial scenes

>"Nolan reconditioned actual warships for the shoot, including the French Navy destroyer Maillé-Brézé, and reportedly spent $5 million of the budget on a vintage aircraft so as to attach it with IMAX cameras before crashing it on-screen"
I doubt it user.

French soldiers were fighting and dying to slow down the Germans and we get to see some anglo boys jerking each others off on the beach

How assblasted is this movie going to make naziboos?

lets be honest

the french probably deserved it

there are frenchies in the film too, you can see the french troops at 1:07 right in the trailer

Their "vintage aircraft" are the wrong model

Pretty much why I don't even need to see a trailer to know I'm going to watch it.

not much if the german soldiers will not be even shown up close, which means no stereotype "crazy le evil nazi general"
the enemy can be intergalactic aliens for all that matters

Sounds like kino to me

Well french were the good guys of history so it can't be

Well yeah, probably one guy or two in the background.

t. Buttblasted french

>full white male cast
...and that's a good thing, because? No BMWF relationships in film = no watch

no, there are whole troops, and that's just in the trailer

Honestly, I hope the present the French as snivelling cowards just to maximise butthurt
>Why arnt you fighting for OUR country?! REEEEEEEEE

>tiny island nation jealous of having enough testosterone to drop nukes on people
>getting hopelessly reverse colonized by mudslimes
how long 'til the moors outlaw tea EH GUVNAH

youtu.be/n1VJ39nVIBk?t=5m32s

Looks like kino's back on the menu, boys!

>implying I'm American

I hope they show that one French tank that chewed through a German tank column on his way to retaking a town, where the German troops turned tail and ran away when they saw the blood on that tank's tracks

>saving the army to fight another day
>defeat
armchair general pls

Anglo boipucci is gonna get rekt by superior Aryan men though.

>tfw yuro colonized by mudslimes
>tfw murika colonized by mexicans
>tfw leaf and straya colonized by chinks

>zero propaganda
>Red Cross ship getting sunk

chose one anglo scum

so the brits won the battle of france?
thats amazing, i never heard that before.

I am sure this movie will provide lots of polite and informed discussion for Sup Forums

Like 99.99% of the audience will notice or give a shit

The main attraction of this movie will be Bane himself, young and before he was forced to wear the mask, before it was painful to be without the mask. Before he became the big guy.

>>Nolan made a conscious decision to never show German soldiers on screen to accurately convey the perspective of the soldiers on the beach—for whom contact with the enemy was "extremely limited and intermittent"
Jesus fuck. The more I learn about this film, the shitter it sounds
>pg-13/12a rating
>Tom Hardy wearing the mask
>crashing a plane (again)
>cardboard cutouts used as extras (no, I didn't make that up)
>Harry Styles lead role
>what little dialogue we've so far is among Nolan's worst
>the 20 second teaser (read 20 seconds of an entire film) had an extra fuck and smile like a retard with delayed response as everyone else was supposed to duck from the sound of a plane

Is this gonna be Nolan's worst film yet? How does he consistently make each film worse than the last?

Too bad Dunkirk is a fucking boring as shit battle
>bunch of soldiers escape using fishing boats and yachts while Germans are too busy mopping up the French, how exciting

I will get up and scream it in the theater to make sure everybody realizes Nolan is a hack.

If the movie was about the actual battle of France it would have to show that the Brits refused to commit to the fight because they were already shitting their pants at the thoughts of Germans landing on their beaches and walking through London.

>war movie
>age restriction of 12 in the UK
lol no thanks

>PG-13 movie that involves a bloody war is now available for all ages! We made it PG-13 to expand the demographic range...

Dropped, should of been R

>cardboard cutouts used as extras
Those are just perspective reference points for the compositing and adding the additional soldiers later on.

Here's an explanation for the PG-13 rating which makes sense in the terms of the narrative
>[Saving Private] Ryan is a film about the body, blood, fear of being dismembered. Fear is physical. Steven was able to create a visceral intensity of the experience of war. Dunkirk doesn’t play in the same category. It’s a movie with suspense and a race against time.

So basically it will be a film about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B while being in extreme danger of being completely BTFO'd by Stukas.
There will be no close quarter one-on-one battles, don't expect the usual war movie, it will be a thriller in a war setting, much like every other Nolan film is a thriller in a dream/space/comic book setting.
Most of Sup Forums casuals will even say it's "boring" and "nothing happens", screencap if you want

no they weren't, look it up

They knew how to make war kino back then.

youtube.com/watch?v=gTv_4DPQUnQ

>long before Star Wars, there was BoB and The Dam Busters

>zero propaganda

The whole dunkirk "le defeat in victory dude lul xD" bullshit myth (which is featured in the trailers) is post-war allied propaganda you idiot

The allies got BTFO inredibly hard by the axis and tried to spin it ever since

>Retarded halt order stops the eradication of the British army because Hitler wants the ideologically Nazi luftwaffe (at least compared to other branches) to get the credit for the victory
>air forces can't cut it and the brits escape to fight another day
>BTFO
Maybe if Hitler actually left the whole military stuff to his subordinates things wouldn't have gone to shit so bad as the war went on.

BTW, you haven't actually watched the movie, just the trailer, so you can't exactly comment on what the movie is or isn't.

not the guy you're replying to but I have to ask, are you genuinely retarded or do you suffer from debilitating mental illness?
post some reference of what it is you're talking about and show how think the cardboard cutouts are being used.

you do realize that movies are not real right? you realize that even way back when people were doing everything in their power to fool you into thinking that what you're seeing on screen is real even though they were using fucking animatronics and models and all that shit, right?

I bet you'll be really disappointed to hear that the original star wars used glass screens to create certain environments, models of space ships and robots and other shit you stupid fuck.

what are you implying here? that because, for example, in a war scene that's supposed to have like 200 soldiers battling it out the director is supposed to use 200 actual people just so your autism doesn't flare up?
no, you cumguzzling faggot, he'll use even just 2 guys and CGI that shit in post if it means saving money and if it means 99% of the general audience won't fucking notice on their first viewing.

>t. triggered Nolan fanboy who can't handle that his favourite director is a hack

He got the extras in Batman The Dark Knight Rises
I'm sure he can get them for Dunkirk unless he used the budget for dumb shit
(not the same guy)

The reasons Hitler gave this “Halt Order” have never been fully agreed on, either by those living through the battle or historians after the fact. On the surface, it seemed like a halfway logical concept. The German troops had been fighting for two weeks straight without a break, something that an old Great War soldier like Hitler knew all too well. They needed time to rest, replace their losses and reorganize their forces, which had taken heavy losses in France. The German armor had outrun their infantry and supplies, having advanced much faster than expected, and were running out of fuel and ammunition. Also, the ground around the Dunkirk area wasn’t ideal for tank operations, full of the marshes and canals that had bogged down German soldiers in the First World War. The pause made sense to Hitler for another reason: Luftwaffe head Herman Goring had assured him that air power could wipe out the British on the beaches, and Hitler was all too happy to give him a chance.

>Maybe if Hitler actually left the whole military stuff to his subordinates things wouldn't have gone to shit so bad as the war went on.

>mfw Hitler was just a raging autist who insisted on being obeyed above all else

inb4 Hitler did nothing wrong.

What we know so far:
>Nolan
Droppedkino

more like Batkirk

DUNKIRK should be the story of the French forces holding off the Nazis, so the English can evacuate.
But a true anglo would never make a movie glorifying the French. He'd rather make it 100% about Tommy. Even if it means it will mainly be about idiots with bad teeth sitting on their arses, whining about the fact that it's no fun fighting an enemy that actually shoots back, until some fisher boat comes to pick them up.

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3610394/325-extras-cardboard-cut-outs-line-beaches-recreate-World-War-II-evacuation-330-000-soldiers-epic-new-movie-Dunkirk.html
>Cut-out soldiers were used in place of real actors along with cut out trucks to give the illusion of a bigger crowd
>Nolan, the man behind Instellar and Batman, is said to be keen to avoid too many digital effects, relying on inexpensive tricks like the cut-outs and a huge number of extras.

Nolan-apologists BTFO

not posting the godlike intro
youtube.com/watch?v=PqthvLXonBc

Hiring actual 400 thousand extras which need to just stand there would be the most retarded business move in this day and age.

Where is the "BTFO" part? He used cut outs for people that are standing far away which will be just a big fucking blur because of depth of field. And if anything looks wrong they can touch it up in post, just like with Interstellar or any other Nolan film.
You won't notice a damn thing.

Since he did hire a lot of extras then what the fuck is the point of the cartboards?

I bet you don't complain that Ancient Greek literature is almost all about Ancient Greece though do you?
If the French want a Dunkirk about the French they can make their own fucking movie, just like the Russians can make their own movie about the Eastern Front if they want to, just like the Germans have made dozens of movies about the experiences of their people during the war.
But no, French filmmakers want 3 hours of B&W footage of cigarette smoke wafting in front of a stained glass depiction of Christ and Russian filmmakers are too busy swilling cheap spirits to make anything of worth, so you get nothing, faggot

Because there were almost 400 thousand men on that beach, so placing cardboard cut outs helps everyone on set giving them the sense of scale instead of imagining the rest of the men and it helps the CGI renderers later on for perspective when compositing and adding soldiers onto the beach.

>what General De Gaulle called the Battle of France ...

It's fucking WEYGAND, not DE GAULLE.

Fucking historically inaccurate subtitles REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kek'd. So much this.

>it helps the CGI renderers later on for perspective when compositing and adding soldiers onto the beach
except nolan's not doing this because he doesn't believe in cgi as stated in the article above
stop lying

top kek, 10/10

>never show German soldiers on screen
Wtf, so we never get to see the good guys?

>nolan doesn't believe in CGI
just listen to how retarded you sound
he even states in interviews that he prefers that all CGI effects start off from something real.
example: the ship spinning in interstellar.
sure, he could just CGI that shit 100% no problem, but he started off from a practical effect with real lighting and real movement and then enhanced it with CGI in terms of outside environment (in this case: space) color correction and grading and so on.

same with the cardboards in dunkirk probably.
helps with forced perspective, gives a visual reference for people to work with in post, gives a visual reference for people on set as well most likely like some other user said, it's easier to actually see something than imagine it.

Who says it's portrayed as a win? You have genuinely been brain damaged by burger movies to the point where you can no longer entertain the idea of a non-propaganda war film

>same with the cardboards in dunkirk probably.
Even though he literally stated he was using them to avoid using cgi
Christ, the cognitive dissonance is astounding

Do you think just because it says on an internet article it's the absolute truth?
Do you think Nolan bent gravity itself so he can put the whole city upside down in Inception?
Do you think Nolan actually went through a wormhole and into a black hole to film Interstellar?

Yes Nolan prefers to use as much practicals as he can, but he isn't an actual retard to dismiss the CG technology all together.

>makes claims with 0 evidence
>gets mad at being contradicted by articles which say otherwise
literally lmao'ing at your life right now

The thing that always amazes me about the kind of threads is there's always some incredibly knowledgeable autists debating each other passionately on obscure details about history, or whatever else the thread is about. If it was a history board, posters like these would be a treasure and it would be the best place to discuss the subject on the internet. Yet it's a board about TV and film but the actual discussion of this subject is the opposite, no one here is passionate or knowledgeable, it's pleb central and nobody gives a shit about obscure details about film history and argue about them. It's really fucking strange.

>nolan soing daage control with a movie based on choreography so we can forget tdkr

Pathetic.

Nobody cares about Dunkerque in France, even the battle of France itself isn't that interesting to anybody. But we did get some good resistance films.

>Even though he literally stated he was using them to avoid using cgi
Please post where did he "literally" state this.

where's the cognitive dissonance?
please make an effort to understand what you're saying and what I'M saying.
it's always best to avoid CGI and it's always best if you ARE going to use CGI to based it off something real.

some people like the computer generated look in films, others don't, nolan being one of them.
I personally don't mind it, unless it's pretty jarring (no clear examples come to mind right now) but I can tell you this:
in all of nolan's films the visual effects look pretty impressive and they have a nice feel to them. they also don't feel cheap or fake and it helps with the immersion.

try seeing one of his films in the cinema though.
interstellar was a phenomenal experience in the theater (saw it in IMAX too) and when I saw it on my 40inch TV screen it simply wasn't the same.

>noone in a country likes an event in history where they got asskicked
gee, i wonder why?

>Nobody cares about Dunkerque in France
Tu quoi?

The only thing distinguishing us from the anglos is that we already have Dunkerque-kino out of the way.

Oh fuck, forgot my link: youtube.com/watch?v=D2gfMxETEms

There are no close up one on one battles in Dunkirk, it's all from a distance. And Nolan is pretty good at executing big action set pieces.

It seems to me like he really listened to the critiques this time, no exposition dialogue and no close fight choreography problems.

Every war movie is propaganda in a way or an another.

French troops put up quite a fight, but yes for the general public it only amounts to "that time when the germans took the country in 2 months".
If you ask random people about the significance of Dunkerque at best they're gonna think you're talking about Bienvenue chez les ch'tis. There's like one line about it in school history textbooks, the resistance gets all the focus.

About 1 in 3 of the Dunkirk evacuees were French.

dont speak as if youve seen the movie.

>French troops put up quite a fight
They really didn't. At least not until Paris was threatened. Defeatism was rife in the army, and it ran all the way to the top.

And it wasn't even two months, just six short weeks. Hardly "quite a fight."

>There's like one line about it in school history textbooks, the resistance gets all the focus.
I don't know if that's what would apply to everyone. In my school, which had nothing prestigious about it, but where the teacher was faintly "moved" that the students cared, he delayed things a bit so we might know about Dunkirk.

Don't most schools pause to say a word about it, since that's the main reason de Gaulle already had French soldiers in G-B to draw upon? I mean it fits into the "muh FFL" thing...

But probably most people discard that kind of knowledge and you're right.

Aye, but they were only evacuated at the very end. The French weren't even supposed to be there, since Churchill had promised the English might be able to protect their own retreat. IIRC, the French remnants were supposed to be trying to breach the Panzer corridor and escape into France, but that had to help the English instead.

That, and the siege of Calais are probably the most glorious things for France in the battle of France though?

>If the French want a Dunkirk about the French they can make their own fucking movie
We already have some Battle of France kino: youtube.com/watch?v=DeyBsyx3uCE
Look up the losses of the Luftwaffe during these 6 weeks, and the battle for Stonne.

>They really didn't.
A- the statement he was making was enclosed to Dunkirk, so don't know why you're striving to apply it to the whole of the war.

B- the French main force was actually encircled early on in Belgium, when von Kleist's sub-group of panzers breached the city of Sedan and maneuvered behind them. The only French forces remaining between the Germans and Paris were reservists who weren't very apt for the foes they were going against. Also, they actually performed quite well eventually.

>The Germans renewed their offensive on 5 June on the Somme. During the next three weeks, far from the easy advance the Wehrmacht expected, they encountered strong resistance from a rejuvenated French Army.[177] It had fallen back on its interior lines of supply and communications, and had closer access to repair shops, supply dumps and stores. Moreover, 112,000 evacuated French soldiers were repatriated via the Normandy and Brittany ports. It was some substitute for the lost divisions in Flanders. The French were also able to make good a significant amount of their armoured losses and raised the 1st and 2nd DCR (heavy armoured divisions). De Gaulle's division—the 4th DCR—also had its losses replaced. Morale rose and was very high by the end of May 1940. Most French soldiers that knew about the defeats, and were now joining the line, only knew of German success by hearsay.[178]

This will be Nolan's worst, trust me. There is no suprise ending, just an A to B story of hope.

Do you think there needs to be a "surprise ending" for a movie to be good? Are "epic mind twistzzz" the pinnacle of cinema for you?

we know
we want it for its meme-value

You're saying that because the trailer hasn't shown anything of the gay romance between Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy, but just wait, you're going to be blown away.

This so much.

It's so fucking sad that you guys can't form a single coherent buzzword-free sentence about an actual film other than the usual "KINO PLEB REDDIT IMDB" namedropping, but if it's politics or some whatever surface-level moral or history subject than you all passionately/autistically write whole essays for posts along with all the statistics and links needed with it.

Whooo, a WWII film with realism, I'm excited!

What is there to say about this movie really? It's the Rogue One of WW2.

Which Mk.? I bet it's either a V or a IX

Shouldn't be anything other than Mk.1 and II's

>all the soldiers will be nameless with no history being told
>zero propaganda, the focus is the physical situation they were in, not sentimentality or fake empathy for the characters
A Nolan movie with no characters you give a shit about? Really charting new waters here.