Were Shieldmaidens a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3EG5Nl37RsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who cares

Why at the end she has white old hair ?

>maidens
this part sure was hehe

No? It was christianity that introduced different rights for men and women. Of course they had different roles, but were equal in rights and could say their voice in the society, vote to some degree (went by family). And they had to learn how to defend their family, because many places the men were out travelling or dead. Some of these women eventually joined the wars to fight and defend their kin.

Go to bed Varg

this entire tvseries is a meme
fucking Ivar walking while his legs are paralyzed
bishop Heahmund kidnapped from England to viking lands and fights in their wars
lagertha looking as young as she did in season one which was like 30 yeara ago, shw should be a grandma now
king Aethelwulf cucked and killed by a bee

>"""history""" channel

What's so funny by having a wife that can fight and even join the battles when needed? Don't you like women like that?

see

>putting potential mothers at risk in battle
>in anything but a last ditch resort fight to the death

Yeah no.

mostly

i have no idea, i thought it was just the light?

Oh you guys are referring to that tv-serie. Explains.

>Anglo-Saxons are completely retarded at combat
>don't just burn the Danes boats and wait for them to starve
>Anglo-Saxons refer to "England" long before such a concept exists
>Angles and Saxons are united in any way whatsoever
>Couldn't resist giving the main character yellow fever, so have a random chinese character at some point

yes, women were a baby factory and an object to rape, men just went to war

She has Geralt hair, that's why Bjorn looks her strangely, I made a screen

Last Kingdom is better

i don't think the angles and saxons saw themselves as being different

this chink character was so pointless
i couldn't believe he really drowned her, i thoght she will survive somehow and the whole chink slave plot had any meaning at all, but no, he really fucking drowned her and she died
the last season of Ragnar was pathetic, he was annoying as fuck, his death and the story focusing on his sons was something fresh but it is getting ridiculous now

At the time the show is originally set, which is just around the start of the great migration, they viewed themselves as distinct people. There was no collective "English" or collected "England". A united sense of Christianity maybe existed, as a united Church of England predates England by a long while.

Forgot the Franks from Normandy who come in Scandinavia for a battle

Its really not.

The books the Last Kingdom is based on are a lot better. The BBC couldn't resist fucking up the show.

this looks weird, maybe it was supposed to mean she was so shocked after she killed Astris that she lost melanine in her hair
weirder things happened in this show already

and what was it about Ivar having blue eyeballs that were the sign he could easily break his bones(mentioned while talking to Ubbe)
is this even a real thing?

>Womyn
>Fighting
>Not shitting out young norse for future raids
Western feminism is a fucking joke

For Ivar from french wiki, that says that his nickname could be because of the fragile bones decease.

>Viking """""warriors"""""

Who fucking cares

Not that guy but its not about whether we want it or not. The notion that there were women warriors at that time in human history is absurd. In that pre-gunpowder era, where you needed to be extremely skilled with a sword to use it, let alone survive constant battles and raid, you obviously cant have a woman who is physically weaker than a man out there fighter battles.
Even now with modern gun and tanks that dont need as heavy physical ability (you still need to be physically fit but not as much as having to carry a sword and shield), you still dont see as many women

yes
i recall reading a saga where some shieldmaidens partook in battle but that saga was also clearly fiction going by all the crazy shit that happened. the sister of leif eriksson fought once whilst she was pregnant and that's about the closest we get to a real shieldmaiden. people look at meme sagas and valkyries and think shieldmaidens were a real thing

it's a pretty big tv-series user

i know, but i mean that he mentioned that when he was younger Ubbe had to check if his eyeballs are blue because if they were his disease was in a bad stage or something like that

is this a real thing?

Because no one wants to read a history book like some autist like me, they want to watch poorly choreographed action

Good that you understand

I consider myself an understandable guy

>our first king is portrayed as a manlet cuck
why couldnt they just go with how shit historically played out, itd have been so much better

Damn, that's a good-looking statue
Tell me his story please

well they definitely didn't have some WYMMYN COMMANDO squads like in this stupid fucking series but it's not the only meme thing about it
>muh medieval = dark clothes trope
>not even the jarls wear chainmail, everyone wears some weird biker jacket fuck knows what
>despite the fact that you see a visor helmet in the intro, none of the vikings wear it in the show
>cuckold
>Saxons not knowing how to deal with a fucking shieldwall
>pagans dindunuffin, look at the wymmyn empowerment not like those evil christians

>A show about Vikings
>Every other ethnicity is there
>Except Scandi
>The only Scandis are the Finns
>The French look Iberian
>The Iberians in the show are literal blacks

the first norwegian king was a FINN

>Saxons not knowing how to deal with a fucking shieldwall
This was made me legitimately angry in the first few episodes. Saxons main way of fighting was through shield formations,

>out number the danes
>the danes present a shield wall
>saxons also have archers and a horseman

So of course the saxons just charge all their men straight into the shieldwall and they all die. They don't you know, just surround the shieldwall, while using the archers to stop the danes from moving to match them.

The early raiders were just that, raiders. They came, they killed/stole and then rushed off before the Earls men could arrive. If they got caught by the army, they'd die.

That's Harald Fairhair, the first king of Norway
His father (Halfdan the Black, his brother in the show) died when he was 10. As he was just a kid, other kings tried to conquer his little realm but his nice uncle luckily managed to save his ass.
When he came of age, he met a woman named Gyda, who was so beautiful that he had to marry her. She, however, didnt want to marry him, as his kingdom was so small and she deserved better. When Harald heard of this, he vowed that he should not cut his hair until he became king of a united Norway.

Throughout his early life, he marched around Norway, subjugating the other petty kings, culminating in the Battle of Hafrsfjord, which is traditionally marked as the birth of Norway. At last, Gyda agreed to marry him. Harald now allowed himself to have his hair be cut, by the Jarl of More, who according to Snorri Sturlasson, was the father of Rollo. His harsh taxing of the people led to people settling Iceland and the isles around Britain
In the end, he left behind around 20 sons, all whom became kings after his death. He had several wives and concubines, one being the daughter of the king of the Samis, Svase. He was also according to Snorri a friend of king Æthelstan of England, who raised Harald's son Håkon the Good, first christian king of Norway.

strange world

Very nice

Brief me on shieldmaidens.

t. Not fantasy or we wuz enthuastic

the guy who plays ivar is a dane isnt he

Indeed that show would be better with these kind of stories

You have obviously never seen a woman from Halogåland. If you compare that to an english lad on 16-17, hahahaha.

Even a skinny manlet would overpower a larger woman

"no"

That's true tho. Why do 11 year boys beat grown women at every sport?

No but they were likely the exception rather than the rule though
Its not also uncommon to find ancient reports of warrior women like in celt societies

In finland large women are fat, here they are or at least used to be strong.

Physically non-athletic women are at the level of pre puberty boy. Genes are no factor here. Every adult man is stronger than a woman
It's afeminist powertripping to think otherwise
youtube.com/watch?v=3EG5Nl37RsE
Women should prohibited working as police officers and security guard for their own safety

Wow, nationalistic powertripping on a mongolian knitting board during the late hours.

Go to sleep man.