What went wrong? I loved the books btw

What went wrong? I loved the books btw.

not that much, actually. i don't think a hollywood adaptation of such a cerebral novel could've turned out much better. it's remarkably faithful to the source material. that said, it still feels super rushed, especially the first 10 minutes - like there's an hour missing from the film. and there is, because they cut the Peter & Valentine subplot.

All homosexual pedophiles love that book.

the kid's great strategy at the end was to suicide bomb the alien planet? they had to go through years of eugenics for that shit? no adult on earth could've thought of a plan like that?

This bothered me in the books as well. The moment they described how that weapon worked my first thought was "just aim it at their fucking homeworld then".

he sacrificed innumerable human lives in a genocidal suicide attack on the homeworld of a non-aggressive alien race whose entire conflict with earth was basically a giant misunderstanding, which they eventually realized. at the time the film takes place, humanity had no reason to believe they would attack them again. no adult could've thought of this strategy because it's too inhumane to consider for anyone who realizes it's not a simulation.

I thought it was a good movie.
Just a lot of filler scenes when the story is actually complex.
I guess they wanted a safe bet rather than try to be something unique.

it was horrible stupid

think is was all the flaccid penis being shoved down your throat.

>I loved the books btw
thats what went wrong.

The Peter/Valentine subplot is probably the subplot that has aged the worst in the entirety of fiction. Somehow fucking Don Quixote has aged better than kids becoming world rulers over having cool blogs.

i agree, but they didn't add anything to replace it. it's important to the pacing of the story, and you can feel its absence even if you haven't read the book.

Child actors

homophobic agenda

>become rulers of the planet by shitposting as kids
what a concept he had. also only the first book was good, all others fucking sucked. stupid pig people thingys and cathlics in space, talk about boring

For one it has some of the most generic visuals fucking possible

"Nothing" went wrong, basically. A someone who really likes the books, I thought it was about the best possible adaption you could do, short of splitting the story into two movies

Are you kidding? If anything that's aged better. Their entire plot is manipulation of the matters through constructed online media personalities.

I liked it. Harrison Ford seemed out of place though.

Bad casting.

Nothing it's pretty good. It's not like it's some genius source material that they ruined, just a smart YA sci-fi novel

Same thing that always goes wrong, Pinky
Jews

>The Peter/Valentine subplot is probably the subplot that has aged the worst

Only because we have yet to reach the point where society is being governed by imageboards.

No but seriously, you can't claim that has aged badly. While it's true that you probably can't take over the world anonymously on the internet and never will be able to, it was still an accurate prediction of the ability to craft entire identities on the internet. Think about how many popular youtubers there are that never show their face and have not said their real names.

>pretty cool short story gets acclaim
>better spin it out into a full novel
>better spin that out into a trilogy
>let's just write 20 ender books
osc is piers anthony tier

Are any of the 40 million sequels good?

in fairness, speaker for the dead was great

Did you miss the point in the book where the it explains how the bugs were learning how people fight. From all the evidence they had they knew that the humans would attempt to minimize any losses they suffered.

The reasoning in the book was that the buggers were too alien for us to understand and therefore outhink in battle. They had every advantage: speed, technology (not as much in the time the book takes place but certainly in the first two wars), and their soldiers were born and bred to die.

Earth's only chance was a commander who could understand and therefore outhink and outstrategize them, which was discovered in Ender. He was also charismatic enough to win the total loyalty of his soldiers. That was how they won most of the battles, Ender outhought the hive queen (whom he thought was Mazer Rackham controlling the opposite side of what was essentially a space RTS) and beat the buggers in every one of the traditional battles. And (unfortunately this was only done in the book IIRC), after every battle, Mazer viciously attacked him over his losses and mistakes, because he had personally known each of the soldiers lost to Ender's mistakes or tactical choices, which Ender misunderstood as overly aggressive reprimanding.

When the final battle came, he thought it was a test, with the odds against him so unfair that he essentially ragequit and did what he knew would enrage Mazer the most: a suicide attack. This was where Ender's amazing mind did not come into play. Any dipshit can think of a suicide attack; the problem was that no commander good enough to beat the buggers while simultaneously winning the hearts and minds of his underlings would have been willing to give the order to sacrifice them, and no commander callous enough to give that order would have been able to command the respect and love of his soldiers the way Ender did, so they wouldn't have gone with what he said.

Personally I think this philosophy of Card's- that the soldiers wouldn't have suicide bombed the homeworld of the buggers without being commanded by a general they respected- is incorrect, but that's beside the point.

Speaker for the Dead is arguably better than Enders Game. The two other sequels after that drop off a fair bit.

The alternate Shadow series starts okay on a pulp entertainment level (since it's basically about the world playing 4d chess with the other Battle School children once they return to Earth after the war ends) but has diminishing returns the longer it goes on.

The middle-sequel things they made about Ender I don't think had much value.

Speaker, Xenocide, and Children actually are pretty interesting if you go into them knowing they are very different from Ender's Game. Realizing they were story concepts that became sequels to capitalize on EG's success keeps it in perspective.

I read Ender's Shadow, found it absurd and never read any of the others.

Ender's shadow was good

>no adult could've thought of this strategy because it's too inhumane to consider
It's the first thing that literally anyone vaguely psychotic would have come up with.

And, at least in Card's universe, nobody who would have thought of that would have been respected and loved enough to be obeyed.

Psychopaths don't progress up the ranks to become supreme commanders, and as says they wouldn't inspire the people under them to undergo the kind of suicide mission required to actually pull off his plan even if they did

Hell that's part of what the Shadow series is about, a Battle School prodigy who washed out because he was a sociopath.

If I remember right, the entire thing that lead to Ender being chosen to lead the war is that his siblings are equally as smart as him, but sister is an inherently good person who would fiercely inspire loyalty but be too good hearted to have gone down the path Ender did, while his brother is ruthless and violent and absolutely would have but his personality would have repelled people and made him a poor leader.

Not enough naked kids desu

it's just another shitty book adaptation trying to pander to the hunger games audience

>he wouldn't last a day in the starch

Compared to Hunger Games The Maze Runner is actually an ok book series with decent adaptations.

>loved the books
faggot

Did the movie have Ender beating a bully to death? That's the only reason I would watch it.

I've watched the movie but not read the book. I don't recall Ender killing anyone.

Ender killed both the bully at the beginning and Bonzo, in both the book and the movie.

well, must've been one shit movie if I don't remember anything

The movie makes it more ambiguous but in the book they explicitly talk about how they can't let Ender know that he killed both of them.

I don't recall him killing the original bully. I thought he just fucked him up really bad. He did kill Bonzo.

ELLE GOULDING XD

He killed him. That's one of the reasons he got selected to battle school

Exactly. It proved he wasn't too soft like Valentine but he only went as far as he needed so he wasn't a psychopath like Peter.

DUDE GENOCIDE IS BAD LMAO

wrong teen book movie

So bad that they have cancelled the last movie.

>BRAAAAAP

oh shit I completely forgot about this tripe. did it ever get a sequel?

They needed to play up the Valentine incest angle more.

Two sequels but the last one has been cancelled after the third bombed hard. They decided to make the 4th into a made for TV movie but Miles Teller and some of the other actors said "fuck off" and pulled out so it's dead.

the shadow series was pretty great throughout

Ender brained Bonzo in the showers just like in the book, the only difference is Ender gets to see him on life support and is told he's going to be looked after and fine (the same way a parent tells a kid their dead pet has gone away to live on a farm where they'll be happy and have lots of room to run around)

Sad with all the POC-ization of the cast, and, the worst casting mistake, getting that small guy to be bonzo, when it was vital that he were physically threatening to ender. Other than that, it's an ok film, nothing went too wrong.

>Sad with all the POC-ization of the cast,

proof that Sup Forums rots your brain

The only person they did this to was Mazer and considering his weird fucking name he could have been any race for all we know.

Garbage pacing, like everyone is saying. Also a boring, mostly linear perspective. They tried to build up some emotional connection with the game, but it seemed flat. Overall it seemed like a bland, soulless take on what I remembered as an emotionally charged teen/YA novel. Let's just say they didn't have the writing and direction talent to match their acting talent.

I'd watch the fuck out of a Zach Snyder remake.

At the same time how are you supposed to find someone that
>looks like a child
>is /fit/
>can act

For some reason I thought he'd been implied to be Jewish. Might have just made that up though.

They didn't do anything to Rackham, he's a Maori in the novel and shown as such in the movie.

Didn't they play up the romantic subplot a lot? Wasn't a fan of that

It leans heavier on Ender and Petra's relationship but it's not really romantic. And it's mostly picking up the slack for the missing Ender and Valentine stuff, since that wasn't very adaptable.

sorry that i like to watch what would you do movies