This is the best TV show of all time and it's not even close. Now come at with your contrarianism

This is the best TV show of all time and it's not even close. Now come at with your contrarianism.

Why was Mad Men so good according to people?

I agree with you.

Superb writing, characters, and aesthetic.

I have it behind The Sopranos, but I need to give it a rewatch.

I agree.

I disagree.

The Wire

Thinking about doing the same, but I really want the blu-ray collection for the commentary.

The americans is better

I thought the first two seasons were pretty boring. Can someone convince me why I'm wrong? Draper is a great character but there weren't any thought provoking themes, unless im missing something

I agree, but don't be pretentious, as that's already the reputation of the fanbase. Sopranos, the Wire and a couple others are reasonable favorites as well.

I recently finished watching all the commentary and i cant recommend it enough. Comfy and insightful.

Weiner is tv's greatest show runner, having written the great majority of episodes, and directed, unlike almost any other, insuring a consistent auteur vision. It was *his* story, with input from other minds, not just a meandering stew like many series. It was a first class production, with a lot of work in each department to do the best possible job. Costuming, lighting, historical accuracy etc. The greatest, most knowable characters delivered by extremely talented actors.

lost is goat
mad men is okay to watch if you wanna relax or better understand the culture (for non-americans). those background noises of typewriters started to grind my gears by the 4th season. the best one is definetily s5, where most of the action's taking place and really shocking things happen. the best scene, however, is in the last one (part 2), with draper trying to open a window in his new office, but it won't work. way better than the lift shaft metaphor

>I thought the first two seasons were pretty boring.

Yeah, I got bored with the first season and gave up.

I couldn't imagine how it could get better. If it became twice as interesting as the first season it still wouldn't be worth watching.

youre right though senpai

watched one episode, never watched it again.

yeah man there wasnt even one superhero in it, i honestly didnt even see one explosion :/

well lad did you see the show?

Well put user

great show

everything I learned on how to act professionally and not to unprofessionally I got from Don Draper

The show is essentially a close look at American life in the 60's and everything that entails -- subcultures, the public's reaction to historical events, sudden social changes, prejudice, paranoia, depression, women feeling useless, and all that shit.
Weiner was pretty autistic about getting everything right (he even checked the weather forecast for the day an episode was supposed to be taking place in), so the level of historical accuracy is insane. Especially when it comes to the advertising culture.

And then there's the aesthetic and the characters, which are both GOAT.

That being said, the show only really starts getting conventionally exciting until S4, and, arguably, late S3.

So you reckon it's worth the time to get through the first 3 seasons?

The people who wrote this show know little about advertising, and those that do glorify the profession. My dad worked in ads all his life and found it depressing. I did too when I interned in an agency in NYC for six months.

I didn't really enjoy the production design in the show, which is praised to high heaven. It was too blunt and on the nose. Boardwalk Empire was a lot better at balancing accuracy with what people's homes actually looked like.

The writing was self-important and retrospective to bathetic and ridiculous effect. Every character might as well have just repeated "Prestige drama dialogue" ad nauseum.

This show doesn't compare to shit like Deadwood, or even something like BCS. Better than Breaking Bad, though.

Yep. Things really start picking up after JFK is shot. After that, you start getting a closer look at subcultures and there's aa very refreshing change at the end of S3 that I won't spoil.
My granddad and aunt worked in advertising for most of their lives, and they both agree on the fact that Mad Men is pretty spot-on. Keep in mind that the workplace in SC is not in any way similar to the workplace of 60's McCann.

Hell, Don always talked about how shitty McCann is, and the lack of loyalty and ruthlessness in the profession is present throughout the whole show.

Okay, can we agree that although The Wire is on par with Mad Men, The Sopranos is still leagues ahead of all of them.

Question for all Mad Men fans...

I downloaded the entire show and have watched 2 episodes but like.... nothing happens. I mean literally nothing.

Does it get good/exciting? Is there Drama and thrills? At the minute it just looks shit desu senpai. It's just people talking about nothing.

What's the basic gestalt of Mad Men? Because if it doesn't improve I'm just gonna rewatch Fargo

The problem was that the culture portrayed was both boring and repellant.

If you get invested in Draper's life, then things happen.

Or, like me, get invested in Draper's life falling apart.

>I'm just gonna rewatch Fargo
Jesus christ, dude, you don't deserve Mad Men. Stuff yourself.

>you will never be as ridiculously good looking as Don Draper and get free pussy without even trying

>hey, let's make a show about all the wild and controversial issues of the 60's except let's confine all of the action to an office building

Mad Men is trash.

this show is not plot driven, that's why you have don't like it. I didn't really like this show too. Because it's character driven, not plot driven.

I enjoyed it the best in the last season when I knew the show was ending. Show is better when you know how it all ends. Rewatch and all that

I'd fuck Peggy.

Show's good too.

>I haven't actually watched the show, but these are my impressions