How did The Secret Life of Pets beat Ghostbusters (2016)?

How did The Secret Life of Pets beat Ghostbusters (2016)?

has anyone here actually seen it? i did and it was so fucking generic. i think i chuckled once or twice

Mediocrity is better than shit.

It's actually not braindead and retarded, for one.
It actually looks nice, and from the trailers, it's pretty good.

Easily?

Cute animals and no Development Hell bullshit.

children
Nothing makes you want a Children Of Men-style infertility epidemic more than being a fan of animation

Easy: Animation trumps live-action

Or for more details: audiences would rather look at retarded animal movies without plots than feminist propaganda

I want to watch it,but only for Louis CK

does he do decent VA work?

It was by the Minions people, had a Toy Story plot and didn't deliberately drive off it's pre-existing audience in an attempt to drum up controversy.

That's pretty much my reaction to the film.

>One movie was trying to target kids and adults
>the other was a remake desperately targeting the fans of the original
It was inevitable

If you feed children garbage it's what they'll come to expect. Why does no one get this? They're young, they just don't know what IS better.

Films like these are safe, bland trash, but it doesn't mean kids wouldn't appreciate something with effort.

>desperately targeting the fans of the original
More like desperately driving away the fans of the original.

Ghostbusters got fucked over from bad PR on both ends of the spectrum.

>Movie looks like shit because not muh ghostbusters and the cast is shit
>Movie is great because the cast is women in it and fuck misogynists who are >muh ghostbusters

And with retards acting like retards, movie didn't do so well because of the bombardment of negative reviews from people that have never seen the movie, as well as people loving it without ever seeing it.

Overall it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, and even though there were obviously weak moments, it was fun. Kevin is too pure

I've heard The Secret Life of Pets was good, but the trailers didn't seem to wow me that much mainly the Kevin Hart rabbit, and I'm still iffy on Illumination after the Despicable Me movies. Has anyone on here seen it, and is it good?

Well, one had an alright trailer, and the other had a trailer so shitty that there's a fan-edit floating around that makes the film look watchable.

Pretty much.
People don't understand that what you experience as a child shapes your standards. My tastes would be completely different if I never saw Kiki's Delivery Service.

It was also a bad movie, user, regardless of your love of Chris Hemsworth. The humor is low effort or improv through the majority of the film, which just doesn't work.

He's okay. Honestly the cast was full of hits and misses. I mean, Louis CK was pretty good, Jenny Slate was fantastic, but Kevin Hart was fucking unbearable for most of it. Then there's Dana Carvey who was fun but felt out of place because he did one of his super cartoony voices while the rest of the cast felt more normal. Steve Coogan was pretty cool though.

Which makes me look like doctor? Listening to the saxophone or playing the saxophone?

The humor of SLoP's trailers was appealing to people compared to four women with zero chemistry to attempt improvisation

go back to tumblr

i legit laughed at this

I don't know how. Both movies have a loud annoying black person in them. And the pet one has a louder and more annoying one.

I'm pretty sure animated kids movies sell more tickets than regular films due to the fact that you're usually buying 3-4 tickets for your family versus 1-2 tickets for yourself and a date

>Calls out both sides including feminists.
>go back to tumblr

okay mang.

Like I said, majority. The hits were way too infrequent.

Yeah I agree, new ghost busters was so mediocre.

This.
Also I feel like people may have overestimated how much cultural cache Ghostbusters has.

The Ghostbusters we got had nothing to do with the Ghostbusters that sat in Development Hell for decades, Boco.

Listening to the saxophone
or playing it?

>Overall it wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be

You and I saw very different movies

Secret Life of Pets was cute and made me miss my dogs

Ghostbusters made me miss the two hours of my life I lost to it

I wanted to ironically watch Ghostbusters but my gf wanted to watch TSLoP

I remember why I hate Illumination now

Also, Louis CK had a the right voice, but not the attitude. He wasnt meant for that kind of role. He's always the slouchy semi-sad type guy

how was the nigger rabbit

Annoying, honestly the only bad part of the movie.

>the other was a remake desperately targeting the fans of the original
No, no it was not.

well at least kids nowadays have watched some great Pixar films like WALL-E and Up. Shame the kids in the future are going to get nothing but garbage from them though

I personally dont like Kevin Hart but he played the role well

But the role itself was obnoxious and trying too hard. If they dropped the revolution sub-story, and made him a supporting character he could have been great. But the "flushed pets" made no difference whatsoever.

2 movies, tons of cartoons, vidya and referenced in a billion other things. Ghostbusters has tons of cultural punch but they pissed it away by attacking the fans.

"What're they gonna do, stay home?" OH NO THEY DID.

>feminist propaganda

They were called manbabies and shit babies during the entire promotion of the movie. It purposely antagonized them. The villain of the movie are internet nerds and the people who bad mouthed the movie on twitter.

Fuck off, Ghostbusters was in fact more shit than what the critics made it out to be. The first 15 minutes had a fucking fart/queef joke in it. For a Ghostbusters reboot it fails to understand what made the original movie so good.

>I know better than everyone: the post.
A movie driven by improv is not a good movie, and it is a shame he was stuck in such an awful movie. However, it is funny that everyone, even tumblr, agrees that the only man in the movie was also the best actor, and he alone provided the only jokes in the movie.

Who cares ghostbuster reboot anyway? Isn't this thing's "score" is literally the result of death threat/propaganda/bribery?

It was less mediocre than ghostbusters. That's all it did. My friend Samantha saw it 3 days ago. I asked what happened in the film yesterday and Sam responded with "I don't Remember but there was this 1 joke i liked" which is what most of the film seems to be. Life of pets is mediocre as well but has the kid factor in it

I want to fuck this pomeranian

Because "toy story with animals" is just barely more creative than "same time as last time but with women and terrible".

And it turns out that while you can guilt critics into loving a turd, you can't do the same with audiences.

Ghostbusters had bad marketing that intentionally courted controversy, while Feig and Leslie Jones showed zero descipline. (Notice how Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon came out of this relatively unscathed.)

People are open to new things and can change their minds, but they don't like being preached at. The people behind Ghostbusters were arrogant. They didn't try to win the audience over, they felt they deserved it.

Through the power of System of A Down

Something about that voice man

This. Feig wanted a fight instead of letting the internet do what it does, bitch and then forget about it. Ghostbusters: Answer The Call would have came and went and probably gain some curiosity viewers from the original Ghostbusters but instead he decided to attack not just all Ghostbusters fans but nerds in general. Leslie Jones didn't help matters and even Melissa McCarthy got involved. I'm glad Wiig and McKinnon did the sane thing and kept their heads down and weathered the storm. Rumor has it Wiig wasn't too invested in the movie anyway.
You'd think they would have learned from Fant4stic but nope they repeated the same mistake and took it to an even more aggressive level.

true. They pretty much think relying on the reputation of predecessor can solve everything. Nope, just like many other terrible reboots, audience can tell the differences.

Feig was combative because he took an assignment to revive a franchise. He has never did a movie of this type or this budget and everything was on the line. Which was why he should have been more tactful and used honey to attract the detractors or at least ease their concerns. He chose to fall on some social justice sword and meet criticisms with vitriol and lumped everyone else with trolls. His worrying and trying too hard to defend the film hurt the film more than anything.

Kek. That's the only reason that made me want to see the movie.

Kids would rather see CGI animals doing goofy shit than a movie about ghosts with characters who look like their mom, aunt, or school teacher making crass jokes and doing shitty action scenes.

>Nearly fucking crying at the realization that the old black guy isn't gonna be there when the big doggo gets to the house
>"Oh no pup.."
>Close to bawling in the cinema
>They somehow fucked up that perfect build up of feels with terrible pacing
>The subject of the previous owner is never brought up again
F U CK YOU M E M E W O R K S

That voice, that hopeless romanticism, that adorable naivety, that one-hundred crack fist to a random dogs face, THAT FLUFF. She's the best part of a pretty mediocre movie.

Yeah as a pet owner this shit got me no lie. It's fucked up my first thoughts if something happens to me what happens to my mutt, he'll think I left him.

they wasting time with unncessary slapstick gag and the whole revolution thing, this movie could've focused on duke and max's relationship and developed their character just like woody and buzz slowly. And this is not Dreamworks

It's Illumination (Minions, Lorax), not Dreamworks

CGI kids movie #312 released during the summer.

So that is at least 2 ticket sales per family.

i l l u m e m e a t i o n then

>four men with zero chemistry
Hey they got that right from the original then!

its a "cute animals doing cute things" movie and who doesn't love their precious animals? filled to the brim with stereotypical personalities and cliches if you weren't already sold by the most tear-inducing generic story. when i saw this in theaters i was surprised to see the majority of the audience (and there weren't many to begin with anyway) were older individuals WITHOUT kids. there was this older couple in the theater who would laugh until they hacked during each wiener dog scene. its grandparent humour: the movie.

She's got that bellwether voice

Well they didn't try very hard from the looks of it

Jewish Cash-in vs Feminists Propaganda
Jews win

Perhaps 'Troubled Production' would be better.

Cuz man, it was a mess.

>Be happily married, with a nice house and great job
>Took my two daughters to see this over the weekend
>It was OK, I liked the hawk, they liked the bunny.
>Go home after the movie, spend the rest of the day at home
>They go to bed
>Wait for wife to go to sleep
>Sneak down stairs and look up Rule 34 of the movie

Didn't find anything worth jerking off to, though.

>Kiki's Delivery Service.
But it's shit.

Sup Forums really surprised me by not lusting after her more. Normally, this place has very low standards.

It was terrible.
And the last minute shoe-horned romance was so unneeded.

Probably voiced by the same actress.

Literally nobody went to see Ghostbusters. The viral marketing campaign backfired.

>Ghostbusters isn't shit, that's just what Gamergate wants you to believe! Look at these clips proving it's funny!
>The clips aren't funny and look like shit.

Repeat for about 200 "articles" (read: undisclosed advertising) across various media outlets.

>hating a studio ghibli film

we did it. we found that one guy who hates literally everything.

By not pissing on fans of a pre-established fanbase by saying if they didn't like the movie they were bigots.

For one thing, you can actually discuss it without igniting a shitstorm.

"Le funny talking animals xddd" thing is sadly still quite popular. It has established audience, so it's pretty easy to sell it.
Ghostbusters is based on an old franchise beloved by many people, and decides to fuck them over

The Secret Life of Pets was advertised during Zootopia and Kung Fu Panda 3, among other movies. Pretty much everyone who saw these movies remembered Pets, and a good percentage of them likely went to check it out.

Ghostbusters was catering only to people who saw the original movie and have some heavy nostalgia for it, and then proceeds to shit all over those same fans. Not only was it a smaller target audience, but it managed to alienate the better informed part of it.

I really shouldn't be too surprised about the outcome there.

Where were you when furries took over Hollywood

>How did The Secret Life of Pets beat Ghostbusters (2016)?
In every facet of artistry imaginable.

>A movie driven by improv is not a good movie

Almost all of Bill Murray's dialog in the original Ghostbusters was improv. I agree that new one is pretty blah though.

>But it's comfy as shit.
FTFY

There are about six movies on that list that most people would've heard about, and that is including Secret Life of Pets. Seriously, how bottom of the barrel did you need to scrape to locate that Ping Pong Rabbit (clearly Kung Fu Panda + Zootopia's Judy) or Trouble Down Under (clearly Ice Age)?

>comfy meme
fuck off
All anime is shit.

Because it's actually a good movie that didn't go out of its way to piss people off with its marketing.

Simple, one movie tried to be something for everyone and it stayed like that, while the other one was trying to tell everyone "hey guys, this movie is for every Ghostbusters fan" before then stomping every single fan due to "muh soggy knees on twitah" when plenty of people saw that this was being only a rob, just like Trankt4stic

>84844300
Nigga, where do (you) think you are?

>the other was a remake desperately targeting feminists and SJWs
ftfy

>S U B J E C T I VE
Putting aside the nightmare that the movie went through during its lead up (trailers were shit, promo extras were cringy, paul feig flipping out on twitter, feminist pandering) I actually enjoyed Ghostbusters 2016.

It's not an objectively good movie, in fact I'd rate it a 4/10 in terms of quality, but I had fun watching it and I laughed at most of the jokes, as did the rest of the audience.

Yeah, it's a pandering cashgrab remake that couldn't even get its PR campaign right, but it was pretty funny movie to me.

Now that I think of it, maybe their biggest mistake was that they could have approached for both things, and ended up failling in both senses.

Fans of the original movie were attacked, and their money was used for better things, while the rational SJW/Feminists (the ones that actually watch what they support) felt alienated due to plenty of racial/sexual steorotypes in the movie.

so does captain america

It's true and she's dating captain america

Please tell me you're joking.

It actually makes you laugh at least a couple times. Ghostbusters(2016) makes you consider suicide while in the theater.

>Kiki's delivery service is shit.

>The villain of the movie are internet nerds and the people who bad mouthed the movie on twitter.
Lol no, that isn't what happened at all

Because Ghostbusters was an unpolishable turd people could smell from a mile away. It dropped 63% in its' second week.

It felt so incomplete, hell my niece was like "thats it?"