Why aren't there any British style panel comedy shows in America?

They're great, and I know plenty of people here seem to like them. Why haven't they caught on here?

>inb4 @nerdnight
That doesn't count and you know it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qk9wCifwnuA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Panel shows require banter and Americans can't do that

What a cop out answer. There's a version of them that exists in podcasts and on radio, already where comedians banter back and forth, so that doesn't work. But then again it still doesn't work on tv over here, so maybe I'm wrong.

i'm an american and i'm obsessed with british panel shows. american tv hasn't had anything like them since the days of fucking groucho marx.

basically this. I'm a burger and love panel shows to death, but I also recognize that Americans aren't fit for it at all. there was some black poet or actor or some such from America came on cats does countdown and was asked this very q and had the same a, he said himself Americans aren't clever enough and American audiences don't appreciate cleverness as much as they do slapstick or other forms of more blunt humor.

Lee Mack is my favorite example of outlining the difference between Brit and Burger comedians. even a Brit comedian whose character is supposed to be on the dumber side as a with as sharp as a goddamn knife

wit*

i agree. american tv is extremely condescending and stupid. there hasn't even been a funny talk show since the 90s.

This

>Lee Mack
Is a great stand up comedian.

Basically a panel show is what stand-ups do when they're not doing stand-up. I think America has a far more profitable stand-up scene compared to UK, so the panel shows arent needed.

Closest thing I can think of for US is Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Who would appear on a US panel show? Joe Rogan? CK? That NY cuck guy, I forget his name. Barnyard pussy woman? Joey Diaz?

I'm all out of US comedians.

Banter is for numales like pommies and aussies to make up for their physical inferiority
t. stoic kiwi

There's SO many though. Almost too many. You seem to be trying to think from a really limited list of stand ups you're familiar with, but that's not the limit. I mean yes there are more stand ups, but there's a whole universe of improv comedians that specialize in off the cuff wit and comedy. From IO to UCB to Second City to the PIT- the improv community already does something similar really well. But it's only popular (read: accessible) as live performances in big cities like New York or LA

Even American tv standards aren't that low.

Basically this. There are exceptions of course, such as based Rich Hall.

dude Joe Rogan is not a comedian.

>based Rich Hall
someone so completely shit that he couldn't find work in the US anymore and had to become the token american in the UK,

>dude Joe Rogan is not a comedian.
He's a stand up. He's about as funny as Noel Fielding, and he's on every panel show.

That's my point, if US had panel shows who would appear on them? You're not gonna get Eddie Murphy or Arsenio on there because the pay isn't enough, so you're looking at B-list stand ups like Joe Rogan.

>Be america like in burgerland.
>Have a brit friend tells me that British television is hands down
>He uses shows like Dr.Who and Sherlock as examples
>Go to bing bong land and end up watching shit like this.

youtu.be/qk9wCifwnuA

Two Pints is awful, but also funny sometimes. It was a cheap comedy made for a BBC channel that only teenagers watched.

It served it's purpose.

even comparing Joe Rogan and Noel Fielding is so retarded. their styles are nothing alike, regardless of what you think of them. Noel Fielding, although smarmy and one-trick is actually a comic actor. Joe Rogan is a podcaster. two very different people.

who would appear on a US panel show... well we don't have comedians doing panel shows but there are hundreds who appear on talk shows. there are many choices. but we don't have the culture for that here. it's just not the same.

*its

>Joe Rogan is a podcaster
No, JR is an actor and stand-up comedian who also has a succesful podcast.

Fielding is a nobody compared to Joe. His TV shows are horribly bad, his stand up is horribly bad, and his appearances on panel shows are horribly bad.

Joe Rogan doing standup is like watching a dad who likes George Carlin try to repeat jokes at a backyard cookout. he is NOT a real comedian. he is just someone famous enough to be onstage. just like most of the fucking podcast comedy scene, totally untalented people who created an audience around youtube-tier "comedy". the only thing he's good at is calling fights.

Comedy Central is remaking Taskmaster. Taskmaster is probably the best panel show going right now but the remake doesn't look promising.

>Alex Horne will be in the remake
Awesome
>Reggie Watts will be the new Taskmaster
Not good. Would be a perfect contestant but not a good taskmaster.
>Ron Funches will be a contestant
Awesome
>the other contestants will be Lisa Lampenelli, Freddie Highmore, Kate Berlant, and Dillon Francis
Jesus Christ that just awful. Lampenelli is shit tier, Berlant is meh at best, Highmore is an actor not a comedian, and Francis is a DJ. A fucking DJ.

I am legitimately mad how bad they're fucking it up.

Fatties can't into comedy.

Ideally the line up would look like this

>Paul F Thompkins as taskmaster
>Alex Horne reprising his role
>Keep Ron Funches as contestant, make Reggie Watts contestant, and then round the contestants out with John Mulaney, Eugene Mirman, and Lauren Lapkus or something like that. Just make sure they're all comedians.

numale

lee mack is more posh than david mitchell but hides it well on tv, mainly because he has a northern accent
i think he went to oxford

>Who would appear on a US panel show?

How is this not the topic of the thread?

Bill Burr
Sarah Silverman
John Mulaney
Ilana Glazer
Bob Odenkirk
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Hannibal Buress

great list.

>lee mack is more posh than david mitchell

Bullshit m8. Mack went to Brunel and studied acting or some shit.

Nick Kroll
Key and Peele
The State troupe
OG UCB

fpbp

Would they appear for peanuts? Panel shows don't pay well. Not like Talk Shows

i think they're about the same so tell me how much they each pay.