So is the Image boom over?

So is the Image boom over?

I don't see that many people talking about shit that's not BKV or Kirkman that much anymore

thats cause the only good thing to ever come out of image was split off as an independent then sold to dc

Fuck off Chew is a great fucking comic

I like rich tommaso's new comics dark corridor and she wolf, I've been a big fan of joe casey's recent output from them amd Paul grist is supposed to be putting out more Kane comics soon but in general I don't care about publishers unless they have an IP directly tied to them

There was never any boom to begin with. Just empty hype.

Chew is just okay at this point. It should have stopped around 30 or so.

As long as they have a steady flow of people tired of the big two they'll be ok

This board is company wars central. Image is putting out some of my fav comics right now

>Monstress
First trade just came out and art alone is worth it. First issue was triple sized so this trade collects about 9 issues worth of content. The world is amazing and the art is to die for
>faster than light
Best sci fi coming out. Humanity just geys FTL and this is their only ship in space. Last few issues have been very Star Trek.
>autumnlands
Dark and brutal fantasy, done by busiek.

East of West is good, but the rest is just pseudo-artsy garbage and LGBBQT bait.

nobody talks about non cape shit on Sup Forums really

>monstress vol 1 is 200+ pages for 10 dollars

nice nice

>Image is putting out some of my fav comics right now
Same

She Wolf, Rumble, Pretty Deadly, Prophet Earth War, Island, Mirror, From Under Mountains.

Image hasn't been relevant since the 90's. what the fuck are you ralking about?

>I dont read comics

I'd say so, their market share has been declining for a few months now.

Things might look up for July though because of Snotgirl.

>pseudo-artsy garbage
Like what
>LGBBQT bait
What? The Wicked and the Divine? Thats one fucking comic. Does anyone one Sup Forums read comics anymore? Most Image stuff is is about violence and death.

No Sup Forums does not read comics or they would know Image is about what authors want, not some mandate by a big corporation to make LGBT and minority characters

Right now I'm reading mostly Image books, just because there's enough variety to keep me interested. I wouldn't say I'm an Image fan really, they're just a publisher.

Yes but they are filling the space of vertigo. They have quality and i love the idea of gicing the team a break after the trade comes out. It gives good artists time to work ahead

Yeah, I do kind of feel like the main reason Image has so many cool creative teams with them is because Vertigo's current set up isn't good. I mean, Image is reprinting Prince of Cats for fucks sakes, that's a pretty big coup from Vertigo

People are still enjoying Image. With Image you don't have to deal with obnoxious "EVENTS", Tie-ins, or stupid reboots.

Half of their comics are shitty fanfics of 100 Bullets and Ex Machina tbqh.

There's no shared universe and important moments, no big sales.

If a book ends and you still want more...too bad it's ended.

Only hipsters and emotionally retarded fans read image.

>AMC Pilot Pitches: The Company

no.

it will certainly not end if people who read comic books continue to reach adulthood and stop wasting money on single issues of capeshit

The problem with that is that almost every writer is a mediocre fuck that doesn't know how to continue or finish a book with a satisfactory ending.

The Image-style comic writing is 'create a promising first TPB, stop caring about the book and bank on the hype faggots'. Literally tv pilot-baiting.

all the HYPE around books like Saga has died down, and right now it feels like Image is too flooded with cookie cutter tv pilots

Do you feel the same about other mediums?

I think there's still plenty to dig from them.

I also think part of the problem with them right now is announcing projects and having to wait longer than a year for the project to see any light.

Vertigo didn't give a single fuck about Prince of Cats, they didn't even bother giving it a regular sized trade

>has died down
Hype only lasts for the first, maybe second, trade. The industry is obsessed with #1's

> they didn't even bother giving it a regular sized trade
Or keeping it in print.

>There's no shared universe and important moments, no big sales.
Is that a bad thing?

>If a book ends and you still want more...too bad it's ended.
And that doesn't happen with the other companies?

>Only hipsters and emotionally retarded fans read image.
Well I'm not a hipster, but I might be emotionally retarded. Whatever that means.

Spoken like someone who truly has never enjoyed a piece of art aside from corporate comic books?
Have you ever read a book or watched a movie? This is how storytelling is supposed to work, namefag. Stories are supposed to end.

you really shouldn't be so hard on the qt lesbians, their barbecues are fantastic

and they're great places to pick up guys, which would suit you i think

>>Monstress
This looks really promising, I'll check this out.

They are Vertigo without the fun.

IMHO:

Black Mask Studios is what modern Image should be like. Black Mask isn't perfect -- in large part because they can't attract top-tier talent -- but in terms of genres and style, it's a lot better than Image, even accounting for the fact that Black Mask comics are basically just minis.

The thing is, when people call Image series "TV pilots / movie pitches", it's tragically accurate because they remove a lot of things that would only be possible/allowed in a comic: crazily inventive surroundings and trippy atmospheres; unusual character types; even things as simple as good paneling.

Even though Black Mask has less-talented creators, you get the feeling that -- pound for pound -- these people are making their "dream comic". With Image, I only get the sense that one of these big-name creators was sitting around and said, "You know what, I have this idea that would TOTALLY get picked up by a studio!"

It's kinda a selling point for me. There's not much comparison to make between the Big 2 and Image imo but I like that with the latter, I can just start a comic with the first trade. And I know that with that trade, and the ones following, I won't get railroaded into a shitty event or tie-in or whatever. It would be a sweet, streamlined ride towards the end of the story without anything in-between.

>Mediocre
Kirkman, Millar, Hickman, Vaughn, Brubaker, Fraction, Straczynski, Aaron, Busiek. Yeah, none of those guys ever made anything good.....

>doesn't know how to end a story

and yet capeshit stories never end. perhaps that's your problem with it? that is ends at all?

m8, pretty much every example you've listed, except maybe Brubacker and Busiek, are mediocre at this point in time.

Except they do. They're called "arcs".

It's cheap enough to check it out. Adult female fantasy but not commenting on Sup Forums just females are there cause its fantasy. And face it females are prettier and funner to draw

Brubaker is a one trick pony

Dude has little range

I just want Bedlam back.

Half of them are mediocre and half of them are selling only because of their prior fame, which doesn't mean that they are still good.
Also
>kirkman
Off yourself, my man.

I didn't say that.
Remember the golden age Vertigo? Almost every book ended on a satisfactory point because the writers knew from the beginning how to end it, while the current Image mates just want to keep banking on retarded hipsters and stretching the books as long as possible, like that Saga faggot.

Yeah, no. Some are arguable but Vaughn's Saga is great and Kirkman's Invincible is still very good month in and out. Better than any Marvel book at this time outside of the Star Wars line.

>Saga
>great
Saga hasn't been good since the first couple of issues. The hype went straight to BKV's head and he's coasted on it since

>Aaron and Busiek are mediocre at this point in time
What a Marvelfag thing to say

Remender and Hickman went there at the height of their careers

Go back to reading Gwenpool.

>Aaron is mediocre at this point in time
What a Marvelfag thing to say

>Vaughn's Saga is great

how could anyone come to this conclusion?

At this point, I would say it's "readable" at best now. It is not even remotely a great series now.

Where are the non-mediocre writers then?
Marvel has gone to hell. DC is alright but by no means leaps and bounds ahead. Valiant is decent.

>The Fix, coming to AMC this summer

I feel like you would need someone really creative to capture that type of humor on film.

>Saga isn't good
>REEEEEEEEEEE YOU LIKE THE BIG 2 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DC is the best publisher these days and is doing better than it's been in at least half a decade

I have no problem with the Big 2. I read a decent amount of Marvel and DC titles I just think you're writing something off to be contrarian.

I like Spencer but this really feels like a screenplay he wrote in the 90's and dusted off to make a quick buck. It's one of those "wacky" Tarantino knockoffs from the indie movie boom with some extra comedy bits glued to it.

>DC is the best publisher these days
It really isn't, not when Aftershock, Valiant, and Black Mask are still around. Fuck, even Action Lab and MonkeyBrain too some times

>and is doing better than it's been in at least half a decade
Well I'll give you that much

While I've really liked Rebirth so far that's a huge jump to make as most titles are just getting started.

As others have said, Image has a lot of its own problems and they've just become more and more apparent recently as it's churned out a lot of duds. I don't bother with most series from Image till they're done anymore, I'm so sick of reading a promising first trade and then dozens of issues of filler until cancelation time finally makes the author get off their ass and write the conclusion the book was meant to have. Most Image series should just be a 300 page OGN rather than an ongoing. Some books don't even get that much, they're garbage plotwise from the start and just coast on their art.

Now that's not to say there aren't good Image books. There are usually 2-5 great books coming out at any given time from them, just like Marvel and DC usually have roughly that number as well. If you're trying to show off how cool and hip you are for not reading the Big Two, I'd suggest First Second or Fantagraphics or Dark Horse just as much if not more than Image. Or even Archie is slowly catching up.

If you're talking in terms of sales and general hype, then to me it comes down to the fact that they were just a flash in the pan like the Wii. People saw Saga and The Walking Dead and went nuts for it at first, but now that they've had their taste, they're over it. I'm not a marketing genius so I don't know what they should do to revitalize interest, but it's pretty clear that coasting on what they have isn't working.

It's true that it peaked at trade two but you have to be an idiot to think it isn't better than 90% of marvel

Valiant is solid now too. Nothing deep but a lot of fun titles.

I don't think user was arguing it was. I don't think anyone would argue that at this point.

Uh...valiant is the only one doing well.

you know the guys who still do comics for comics i.e. Remender, Hickman, Kot, Zub are putting out great work over at image. I'm sure I'm missing other examples. but the rest of those guys are tv pitch buttholes

If you are so pissed at cancellations then just trade wait. Their business is partly built for it. They make creators to an arc then put out a trade and tell them to take a couple months off. This is a geeat strategy cause it gives authors time to get new ideas and artits time to create a backlog

Go stuff a ballot box, bae.

wut

Dude I don't care desu. I rather have new creative teams than the same team making zombie Charlie Browns.

Video games and most soaps go on forever and there's comic strips too.

Yeah it is. It's not how the industry standard has been. At least for shared universes.

I have no problem with events, sometimes they make a book better.

Can't get into image of all publishers, you have better chance of telling to check out IDw or darkhorse.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Real life, maybe you got some kinda mental illness or something my chinaman.

Image's biggest problem, and biggest asset is their complete freedom. It allows books to be books, creators to be creators, but man does it fuck them over. Books shouldn't be launching with only one or two issues ready to go. The Goddamned is great, but four issues have released in a year. Dying and the Dead, even knowing that Bodeheim is disgusting slow, even knowing what happened to Secret, still got released and delayed like it did.

Sex Criminals is down to an issue every five or six months. It most likely will not return this year.

Southern Bastards just secured Aaron an Eisner, and yet it will most likely not return this year. It launched two months after Remender's Black Science and Deadly Class. BS has 23 issues, DC has 21, and Southern Bastards has 13. Yet it's a "monthly" comic.

WicDiv, Saga, Walking Dead, we can cry and bemoan and point our fingers at whatever culprit we want, but I think the success of these books is also largely due to the fact that they release on time. I don't think Saga has ever been delayed. It releases six issues, then takes off three months. It does this every arc.

The lack of editors, deadlines, event driven, headline grabbing writing has to be attractive. Do what you want how you want. But writers need structure. They need a second voice. It isn't just comics. GRRM, Rothfuss, Togashi, all show what happens when writers are allowed their freedom.

Image is supposedly rectifying this. And it seems they're diversifying their genres too.

I'm getting the distinct impression that you are not in fact, an owl. An owl would have much more difficulty typing and probably wouldn't read comics.

Are you drunk or high. Or are you just posting on the wrong threàd?

Go stuff a ballot box. Do it for democracy. Do it for freedom. Do it for Valiant.

You're not adressing what that user even said though, you just rambled about how you prefer one type of long running style over another and then mentioned soap operas and video games.

>much more difficulty typing
kek

>ITT tripfag is wrong
Never fails

I see what you mean and I think you have a point. There is a role for (good) editors to play for sure. Most people have forgotten that since Marvel's seemingly only exist to ruin books by forcing synergy or tie-ins or some other godawful thing and DC's are hit or miss.

I totally would too. I'm really liking their line right now.

Owls read comics man. Just like anons do irl, you don't ever see Owls or anons on shops buying books? I do. I've never send this fictional creature called Humans buy comics in my life.

Manifest Destiny is pretty great.

So just trade wait. Most image is better that way anyway

Ur wrong bubba.

>mfw I'm the only human who reads comics and it's been Owls in disguise selling them to me for 15 years.

Reading in trades doesn't make bad books suddenly become good.

I dust did. He addressed nothing runs that long but I just did.

Images problem is late books, shit art, lack of appealing to what the majority wants.

And they still don't dominate the sales charts by total, even with all that creative hyperbole.

Image will publish fucking anything if you pony up your part of the printing cost and because of this they get people who basically want a cheap tv pilot but you also get shit like She Wolf and Head Lopper which are clearly done by people who just want to make comics and they're the easiest publisher to go through today

Togashi has health problems though.

This is a meme, Image is not that easy to get into otherwise half of Sup Forums would have comic.

>late books
Ot happening anymore cause they makes sure they can do a trade
>shit art
Well you haven't read any image

agreed

>black mask
>get young terrorists #1 last year
>#2 in sight almost a year later

>Image
>get Nonplayer #1 in 2011
>get #2 last year

Art is shit. Enjoy your tumblr art for beginners comics.

When you're as smart and of such refined taste as I am everything is mediocre.