What happened to Saturday Night Live?

What happened to Saturday Night Live?
It seems like it's practically irrelevant nowadays, I personally stopped watching it regularly in 2008-2009. I watched the new episode and I'm just astounded and dumbfounded by how bad it's gotten. Even Keenan can't save this shitshow.

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.com/snl-cast-member-leslie-jones-says-ritz-carlton-hotel-racist-2558323
people.com/movies/leslie-jones-single/
youtube.com/watch?v=wkINTzMwqgY
digitalspy.com/tv/saturday-night-live/news/a819546/saturday-night-live-president-barack-obama-farewell-to-sir-with-love/
theblaze.com/news/2017/01/22/watch-snl-cast-memorializes-barack-obama-as-worlds-greatest-president/
youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtfMLGnok
youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Well Sup Forums? Is she right?
ibtimes.com/snl-cast-member-leslie-jones-says-ritz-carlton-hotel-racist-2558323
people.com/movies/leslie-jones-single/

Standup and sketch comedy are quickly becoming dead mediums at the point. Younger people only think of comedy in terms of memes. Millennials and younger don't care for actual jokes.

Not really a lot of popular comedy is just skits on YouTube. They just have shit talent at SNL

the animal on the left is a prime example on why niggers are not humans.

People have literally been saying this since season 3.

>a lot of popular comedy is just skits on YouTube.
[Citation needed]

>shit talent
>SNL
pick 1 and only 1. The core cast from 2015 is still there.

Exceptional talent actually. I think the live format does absolutely everyone; performers, writers, and audience members alike a disservice. If they retooled it to a monthly show that had been rehearsed to the teeth it would be awesome.

Soooo just like MadTV then?

>I think the live format does absolutely everyone; performers, writers, and audience members alike a disservice. If they retooled it to a monthly show that had been rehearsed to the teeth it would be awesome.
I, and many long-term fans would drop the show entirely. The entire point of the show is that it is Saturday Night LIVE. If they did a reboot or a spin-off for scripted material that would be one thing but SNL is the only thing stopping me from going out and drinking on Saturday nights.

>watch SNL when Chappelle was hosting
>literally 15 minutes of commercials after every 5 minute sketch

Fucking jews

>exceptional talent
>show is 95% unfunny these days

Say this from time to time here, you idiots have problems.

Idiots like you seem to see and think about Jews non-stop, beyond most actively practicing Jews I know.

Dog shits in your yard? Bet you think Jews
Stuck in traffic? Let me guess, Juden?
History doesn't support your worldviews? Know the answer.

Before you call my attack Jewish, let me admit I am. Doesn't make me wrong though.

>show is 95% unfunny these days
Post a source for "95%", I'll wait. (You're wrong btw)

Jump in an oven moshe

>writing a long-winded response to someone because they said "Jews"
lol?

That's just hateful and uncouth.

post a source proving otherwise
>muh burden of proof fallacy
brainlet.

dude the current cast is utter shit. possibly the worst it ever has been. we will never see a return to the GOAT original cast, the godly 80's resurgence casts, the Sandler/Rock/Myers cast or will Ferrell era.

>post points out how the show has disproportionately more commercials than content
>'waaaaah he said the j-word'

>can't provide a source for his erroneous claim
>f-fallacy!
t. IQlet
If you provided actual statistics we could have a discussion but as it stands you have nothing important to say it seems. SNL has been running for decades, you can't just wave your wand and magically declare that it's "95% unfunny". Show proof or shut the fuck up.

>anyone unironically thinking SNL is talented

oh to be so fucking blue pilled again...

>dude the current cast is utter shit.
>DUDE I DONT WATCH THE SHOW LMAO
Who exactly is 'utter shit' objectively speaking?

not that user, but you're literally an autist if you are taking that percentage claim used to emphasize a point as an actual claim of statistics.
PKYS

There have been some genuinely talented people to go through the show, but if you're talking about it right now then yeah.

t. retards that doesn't even watch the show

Watch this and try to tell me its not funny.

youtube.com/watch?v=wkINTzMwqgY

You literally can't.

A lot of the enjoyment of the show comes from seeing which cast members or hosts can wing their way out of a shit situation.
Many of the more memorable skits came from people improvising live, an example being Chris Farley's Motivational Speaker.

i assure you i'm talking about right now SNL

>tfw you'll never have Belushi samurai chef skits or token black guy Eddie Murphy skits

the problem with SNL is they're so busy trying to sell their politics and ethics that they forget they're supposed to be making you laugh first. Laughter comes at riding the line between taboo/offensive and not

>>a lot of popular comedy is just skits on YouTube.
>[Citation needed]

Look up the ratings for an episode of SNL, then look up the views of a popular YouTube sketch video. You will see a huge disparity.

SNL regularly gets tens of millions of views on YouTube, you are literally delusional.

It's been bad as long as I can remember. I'm 34. I have no idea why people like it. But then, I never found any of the Will Ferrell movies funny,

The cast sucks. That's fucking it. None of them are funny, at all. There is no Bill Hader, no Andy Sanberg, no Will Ferrell, no Eddie Murphy.

SNL has had, for long stretches, transcendent comedic talent. Right now, it has a cast less funny that my fucking friends shooting the shit.

Yeah and so do a lot of YouTube channel skits. Your "citation needed" implied that you didn't believe there was a lot of popular comedy on YouTube. You are literally retarded.

This was predictable as fuck and actually incredibly average and typical of what their comedy is now.

>Normal person (typically the host)
>Two ridiculous people;
>uncomfortable situation for the normal person
>personal space gets invaded awkwardly (classic kristen wigg joke that began with her deformed arms character)
>ALWAYS ALWAYS ends with the "normal person" doing a 180 and going along with the ridiculousness as a "TWIST"

painfully unfunny user. genuinely. I'm sorry but i legit tried to enjoy it, but as soon as i predicted where it was going it just collapsed.

ya I agree some scetches are just not funny but it seems like they always have down times. Maybe all their good riders left and they need time to recuperate.

When I was younger I always wanted to grow up and be on this show.
Now that I'm doing my own sketch comedy (before you ask, yes it is shit) I couldn't think of anything worse than being on the show right now.

Lorne Michael should bury SNL in a grave along with his own body

Had a couple funny moments, but most of it was miss. Nowhere near as good as anything from old SNL.

very painfully unimpressed and it felt like my soul shrank watching this.

maybe if the show wasn't so busy trying to bust up patriarchy and whiteness and empowering gays and black people it could actually attempt some edge and have a skit that suggests that black people see racism in fucking everything while a white guy is doing literally nothing. Legitimately, literally, nothing remotely racist. Or how about a skit where gays are demanding respect while at the same time being blatantly disgustingly overly sexual and fetishistic.

That would achieve a surprise out of me and with surprise comes a laugh. but nah. SNL can't achieve either.

Those YouTubers pale in comparison to SNL whcih is why I needed a citation in the first place, because it's simply not true. I"m sorry that you are literally wrong about everything all the time but you don't have to name-call like a child, sweetie.

its nothing more than pandering to the reddit tier "le drumpf" crowd.

I voted for Rand, and think the whole election was a WWF spectacle for the rubes, but the shitty flat, applause sign jokes are like watching bad high school talent show skits

best ratings in 20+ years

thank Trump, it will be fun to laugh at him for a while

and go back to not caring about snl after he is no longer

>wrong all the time

you are literally the only wrong person in this entire thread right now.

t. mike user

hahaha

oh wait. you're serious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>a non rebuttal

aaaaaaaand scene.

>cast sucks
>writing sucks
>shoe is written from out of touch NY liberal POV
>nobody watches TV anymore
>there are no celebrities worth tuning in to see them host
>can't push any boundaries and do anything slightly offensive
>no bands to tune in for
>you could literally be doing anything else
hmm I wonder

Honestly the quality of SNL has never been really good, it's just a show that has stayed super up to date with the young folk, and that demographic constantly changes so you are left behind, it won't be the last time it happens

mad TV was always better

>Jewish, let me admit I am
GET OUT

The scene you shared has a SINGLE LAYER of comedy. There is no depth. There is no commentary about a silently understood and unspoken truth about society or relations in the workplace in general going on.

it's """"funny"""" because it's /seemingly/ an uncomfortable situation for the guy to be hit on by two ladies he hasn't even met, which is such a basically constructed and 1 dimensional joke that it is painful.
But then the joke pops itself by the guy revealing that he isn't entirely all that uncomfortable, and choosing the skinny chick, who he had just admitted to barely even knowing. It's a joke that kills itself. Learn some taste you pleb.

>American "comedy"
Are Americans good at anything besides killing people?

Its to liberal and not edgy anymore...they used to make fun of people because it was funny now they just do it to be cool

user you fucking retard, all he is trying to say is that the show is mostly unfunny.
How the fuck can someone be that fucking dense?

Seth Myers and Tina Fey happend. Seth wanted to play Jon Stewart-light, introducing what Norm MacDonald called "agenda comedy".

Fey found popularity by pimping out Disney Starlets.

Meanwhile, Samberg, Hader, and Moynihan left leaving behind middle aged Ghostbuster "actresses".

The show is propped up by Baldwin's clown act of Trump and fat ghostbuster Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer.

It was always so gross and awkward when she would hit on him. Was the joke that an animal was flirting with a normie and she couldn't see how ridiculous it was? The audience thought it was funny, maybe SNL is too edgy for me.

How new are you? be honest.

>posting redditlettermedia
>being mad because they make fun of "god emperor drumpf"
>being mad because women are in the sketch
Lol?

SNL is not targeted towards you. Since at least the 90s it has been marketed for teenagers

Only cucks and boomers watch it now

Liberals can't into humor, just like they can't into memes

Why is Sup Forums being raided by t_d? Why are you bringing up politics in a SNL thread??

You mean unfunny women and forced laugher tracks aren't working anymore? I think Ghostbusters partially contributed to people waking up to this.

the first 5 results when searching SNL on youtube are baldwin as trump skits.

Kill yourself shill rat

SNL has always been topical, that's not politically motivated They did the same thing about Obama,

You first t_drone

Why are politics being brought up in a thread about an overly political show?

no, they sucked Obama off constantly, and acted as if he was god himself.

(citation needed)

If anything it's more relevant than ever. It's last year had the highest ratings it's ever had. Usually there is at least something to like about each episode. They have always had horrible missteps every year when it comes to hosts ( Felicity jones) but each episode usually has something funny. Usually the skits suck but the prerecorded stuff is usually good ( fisher prices well for sensitive boys) was my favorite thing from last year.

digitalspy.com/tv/saturday-night-live/news/a819546/saturday-night-live-president-barack-obama-farewell-to-sir-with-love/

theblaze.com/news/2017/01/22/watch-snl-cast-memorializes-barack-obama-as-worlds-greatest-president/

The show has always been topical and political, but they have never been this invested in the past. You've been watching for less than 8 years if you think it's always been like this. There was no crying piano for Bush.

Improvising live gets you banned from SNL.

Example: Adrian Brody.

>There was no crying piano for Bush.

They were celebrating the fact that Obama was leaving the office and Trump was being elected.

>all these statements with no measurables attached
>soon
>soon
>soon
kek

stop trying

Snl in every era has been hit a miss, plus it always seems to have rhythm and groove that you have to ease back into, you'll never be able to watch an episode, after a hiatus of viewing it, and say "o yeah I missed this" afew episodes in and you'll realize why it's still on the air

even old episodes with prime cast mates will seem alien, snl is literally an acquired taste, like coffee

if not, then turn it off and watch old mad tv or in living color or even sctv, they were always superior anyway

>History doesn't support your worldviews

Oh but it does

Please return to your homeland.

What the fuck are you talking about. Improv/sketch comedy is very popular with millennials.

this is copypasta

saw it yesterday

sketch comedy was always the lowest form of comedy

jim downey left

he's the writer lorne trusted the most, and he was willing to go after both sides

Sod off, newfag.

"Dat Carlton iz racist! Sheeeeeeeet." Throws barrel

The cast today is shit. The only good performer in it is Kate.

ive never watched it live, if you're lucky you get one good skit an episode and it gets posted on youtube

Nice try, Drumpftard.
SNL has never been more relevant.

What does Donkey Kong have against Carlton?

Everyone says that about the generation after they stopped watching it. I'm sure there were plenty of people that thought the Adam Sandler/Norm Macdonald/Chris Farley era was shit.

The cast and writers are shit and have been for well over a decade.

More like season 2.

B-boy Bret Bennet used to be a Youtuber before joining the cast

The Lonely Island guys were posting their stuff online pre-Youtube.

your trips found the 5%
congratulations!

The internet killed comedy, as it can be funnier, more insightful, and more offensive than any corporate product.

As someone who grew up with Sandler, Hartman, Nealon, Spade, Farley and I left shortly after Ferrel left. It's been shit for ages.

Please... thiis was 10x better than SNL and 100x better than Mad

youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtfMLGnok

the ratings actually support it now, edgo

Another show better than anything recent SNL did.

youtube.com/watch?v=BkgMbU-we1o