Multiversity / Grant Morrison General

What went wrong?

Nothing

DC for putting his eggs on Johns and not on Morrison

Poorly defined what the difference is between a universe from another multiverse and a universe from the same universe are.
Intentions for each setting to be a pilot hook for a series were unsuccessful.
That then leads to a lot of loose plot threads.
No cosmic six shooter.
People took the map WAY too literally.
The DC history it laid out got quickly undone with Convergence undoing CoIE and Rebirth undoing Flashpoint. (On the up side Convergence bringing back every old universe works with the idea of now there's multiple multiverses)
Some parts became disjointed. Like Darkseid returns and then nothing.

great analysis

what was your favorite part in this whole mess?

Nothing, it was good

Jeff Parker wasn't able to do his big follow-up on it.

>What went wrong?

DC

Morrison can't write good books for new readers, he's way too meta. They're not going to make any money with morrison.

He would have done it justice.

Too much cuckoldry.

>black characters in every universe except the loli one
>doctor fate is black

What "went wrong" were people not really using his characters or ideas. No one ever wants to touch anything Morrison writes.

I don't get ALL the love that The Just gets but my main issue with it is a very shallow conceptualization of Earth 16. But there's nothing really "wrong" with The Just and most everything else was an out of the ballpark home run, which is why the Just is disappointing, IMHO to me personally, given the rest of the run.

Darwyn Cooke didn't want to do the S.O.S. issue

We haven't gotten a Thunderworld ongoing or mini yet

>What went wrong?
That nigger who thinks he's Superman

Nothing. Best thing DC put out in years.

>We haven't gotten a Thunderworld ongoing or mini yet
We haven't gotten an S.O.S. or Earth-13 ongoing or mini yet either. Those worlds have so much potential.

Earth-4 as well. I want to know what happens next, dammit.

>Earth-4
I'm 100% okay with that being a stand alone story

And immediately surpassed by Omega Men

Wasn't one point of Multiversity to develop new characters as starting points for new series? It resulted in nothing at all.

I'm not. Morrison said it was going to be Watchmen with the actual Charleston characters. While I did really like Pax Americana, I really wanted to see more political craziness.

Welcome to Morrison

>develop new characters as starting points for new series? It resulted in nothing at all.

Seven Soldiers of Victory 2.0

>bought a cheap Multiversity trade on a whim
>pages were still glued together
>translation was terrible
>get to Pax Americana
>suddenly none of that matters

I love it.

What?

Multiversity as a whole < Omega Men
Pax Americana >>>>>> Omega Men

>Wasn't one point of Multiversity to develop new characters as starting points for new series?
Kek no. One of the things Morrison was criticizing in the series was over demanding faggots like you.

Very little setup, several of the issues failed as standalones, he failed to make the stakes any higher than your average Crisis event, little in the way of setup for later development of the characters, Gentry are so genericized they're indistinguishable and only one or two have a memorable design, the overarching plot is thin and by-the-numbers which is only exacerbated by its self-awareness, and there is no resolution only metatexuality that shoots itself in the foot with its message. Most of the worlds in the Guidebook are uninspired and lazy, but that's not really an issue with the story itself.

It's the opposite. Grant criticizing people for wanting to develop new characters and starting points would go against one of the big themes of Multiversity.

They made Barack Obama into Superman.

Putting aside any opinions on Obama's reign as a president it was just a majorly tacky thing done to pander.

Read Sholly Fisch's backup to his Action Comics appearance. It's a very thorough critique of the President Superman concept.

Tried too hard for diversity points.

Got a link?

>Aquaman is a woman
>Mary Marvel a central figure

Not on hand but it shouldn't be too hard to find through Google.

That's because no one ever wants to use his concepts.

WHERE ARE THE MULTIVERSITY SERIES WE WERE PROMISED GRANT? WHERE IT AT?

>People took the map WAY too literally.
At first I just thought it was just a nice shape with a few important placements. Like the Stan Lee and Jack Kirby Earths.
Then the collected edition dropped and the rabbit hole went deeper than we thought.

There was Final Crisis Aftermath D.A.N.C.E. and Demon Knights to an extent.
So, almost never.

And now we're never getting any Darwyn Cooke anything anymore. K I L L M E

Is this his best?

I think so.

Yeah I don't get why anyone hardly ever uses anything that he makes. The shit he creates is gold, man. I tell you.

I genuinely seems so surreal that he's gone now. Dude was so young, only 53. Shoot that's younger than my dad, and McDuffie was around the same age when he died as well. It's always the good and so and so.

His JLI was all set to be this humongous cosmic BatB-esque meta odyssey.

Then its plug got pulled before he could get it started.

At least Future Quest has been pretty great.

The DC multiverse did not merge with ours, as was promised.

I was really going into 'Ultra Comics' with a sort-of feeling of "if enough of us read this, we can actually affect reality".

I wanted to hear a knock on the door!

It's his most hopeful. Although I don't like to play favorites.

Early Doom Patrol/Animal Man is better to me. Flex Mentallo gets pretty preachy, even though he's basically just talking to himself.

I prefer his Doom Patrol.

Those ideas and adventures could have filled several Omnibuses if Morrison bloated everything up like most modern day writers.

It's a good map with a great amount of symbolism and impressions, but when people start going "Oh all the Endless live in Dreams realm which is set next to Skylands, Apokalypse and Heaven, so Dream, Darkseid, Zeus and Yahweh must all be equivalent" things started to get too autistic and lost sight of the meaning.

>Reading translated comics
What are you, German?

>Wanting the same characters in the same rehashed stories forever

Fuck outta here. Morrison himself is continuing the story, anyway.

>Rebirth undoing Flashpoint
But that didn't happen. It only made Manhattan complicit in whole mess.

>He can't into hypercrisis

Probably Dutch.

They started to publish American comics here again about a year ago and for some reason only the One-Above-All/Source knows, they thought Multiversity would be a good choice.

The translation is an abomination.

>No cosmic six shooter.
This, desu.

>No one ever wants to touch anything Morrison writes.
New X-Men set the next decade of X-Men stories.

SS tied everything up in the end.

>Most of the worlds in the Guidebook are uninspired and lazy, but that's not really an issue with the story itself.
Good thing timestream fuckery can completely change any of the Earths.

>Sholly Fisch'
Best writer in DC imo.
His What If story in the 80's was amazing too.

And they completely shat on Morrison's ideas.

True, but he's still probably the third most influential X-writer after Lee/Kirby and Claremont.

Just order them from the UK instead, shipping shouldn't be much (it's like 5-7£/trade to Sweden) and you don't have to deal with shitty translations.

I already have them. We import foreign comics - of course, I'd almost say. I don't even understand why they translate at all.

>to much meta shit with the comics
>they felt they had to tie the guidebook into the story
>they only included the main map and not the more detailed one found in the concept art at the back of the trade
>they never bothered to explain how exactly the rock of eternity works does this mean the wizard has given his powers to the captain marvel of all the worlds the fuck is going on here

Pax Americana overshadowed literally everything else.

Very good stories, but wrapped in a tired main storyline. Nothing he hasn't done many times before. And he has done it so much better before.

anybody got a picture of the map from the back of the collected edition i have long since deleted the book to make space

i dont know why they could not just use the map they did and then on the next page have the map with all those fancy lines and shit

Reducing hypercrisis and the multiversity map to power levels is abhorrent.

I can't understand why people would read translated superhero comics. There's so much lingo that isn't translatable or usually gets translated very badly. It's gotten a little better, but that's not saying much considering how bad it was.

Like for some time during the late 1990s, early 2000s the Joker didn't call Batman "Bats" in Germany. He called him "Batty".

As a kid I didn't care about it much, though. When I discovered I could watch the english Cartoon Network here, that's when I got snobby with translations.

>Intentions for each setting to be a pilot hook for a series were unsuccessful.
well to be fair you cant really keep earth me from getting boring after a while
it was an excellent comic easily the best of multiversity but it would not work as an ongoing

4 issue mini at the most

I think a book about all the young teen heroes as adults could work. Assuming of course that they now have to be heroes without the robot army.

i suppose if they had the robot army collapse and have everybody have to start doing the defending you could stretch it into a 12 issue mini and then if people like the characters an ongoing

I suppose the elevator pitch would be: Multiversity follow up mini. Followed by a limited series with the option for on going if successful.

That's literally the point of everything Moz does at DC from Seven Soldiers to Batman Inc