Why are so many comic books little more than storyboards for cartoons/movies that they haven't convinced anyone to make...

Why are so many comic books little more than storyboards for cartoons/movies that they haven't convinced anyone to make yet?

I mean seriously, why is it so few seem to take full advantage, or at least most of the advantage of the medium?

because your a faggot

Pretty sure my sexuality doesn't determine the creative direction of publishers, but that'd be kinda cool

Because Bryan Hitch popularized "widescreen comics" in the early 2000's with his work on The Authority and Ultimates. Cinematic comics became the thing and now readers/journalists will complain that comics are hard to read if they deviate

Most people just aren't that imaginative.

I think the answer is a little simpler:
it's too expensive. Getting crazy with backgrounds takes time and effort (which costs) plus increases print costs.

> takes time and effort
There's no denying comics are full of hacks working for paychecks on projects they don't care about

What are examples of comics that take advantage of the medium and how do they do it?

Any of the ones that break away from the whole linear "sequential images" thing and take advantage of the ability for you to linger on a page and explore it independently, unlike in film/animation where the combination of framing and passage of time affects how long you can spend with any given scene and is dictated by the director/editor.

That's vague as hell user. What do you mean ones that let you 'explore independently'? Do you just mean comics with detailed backgrounds and more foreshadowing?

A good example is showing multiple moments of time on the same page like this page by Frank Quietly. Same room, but different points in time

Here by Richard McGuire is basically a whole graphic novel of this

It's vague because there's a shitton of ways to do it (and I'm kinda drunk so being more specific is hard). Additional detail is one of the things, but really I'm referring more to being experimental with the the space much like what posted. Right now, the general practice is to use it in simply the same way as a cartoon's keyframes but with a little more implied action between frames.

Art isn't profitable.

Someone explain the sequence of events particularly how the gun and statue end up on opposite sides of the room?

Robert Kirkman ruined it for everyone.

Also this, the assembly line method for comics has been in practice since the 30's since it gets product out fast and that's the main concern of the Publishers. Cinematic comics are a uniform pattern to help get them made faster, like when the Eisner/Iger studio just gave artists pages with the panels already drawn

Zack Snyder does exactly this and everyone hates him for it.

Sure man. So the Question is investigating a murder. You see the man and woman hugging? That's during the day. That woman comes back at night for whatever reason. Why? I don't know, I haven't read the comic. Anywho, she's standing there and that guy is watching her behind the statue. She freaks, rightly, because hey, she heard a noise. She goes to grab the gun from that chest because it has a gun in it. Again, just go with it. So, with gun in tow, she goes to look behind the statue, but at this point, the man has already snuck around, took the marble bust, and proceeds to bash her skull in. After sustaining the injury, she proceeds to walk a couple of feet before falling and dying in a pool of her own blood. Meanwhile, the man throws away the bust and presumably leaves elsewhere. Hope that helped.

He didn't follow panel by panel adaptation through, there are shit ton of changes. Besides, movie techniques he used like retarded slow-mo just wasn't fit for Watchmen.

And on personal note, he completely changed the ending to make it look like his edgy husbando was as right as humanly possible, completely missing the point of extreme ideologies.

There's a time and a place for each, especially regarding gestures or action scenes. It seems that more comic artists don't have confidence in varying panel sizes, making their work more storyboard-y than comic-y

The middle rows are well done but cinematic panels (or at least better framed panels) would've been better for the top and bottom rows sense their part of the environment are relatively bare and open.

>Bryan Hitch popularized "widescreen comics" in the early 2000's
And that got coupled with Bendis style Decompression and here we are.

This is such a weird fucking post. I don't think you know anything about comics or film.

>Any of the ones that break away from the whole linear "sequential images"

So is Watchmen not taking advantage of its medium? Most of it is sequential panels, and for the most part doesn't do anything like

not every book can be Here user
I love it because it's special

Bump because this interests me.

Not the same user, but Watchmen does take advantage of the medium. It's very detailed in details, paneling and structure.

You can say that about 99% of entertainment. It's full of commercialization rather than trying to make higher art.