What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Computers.
The delusion that 3D will ever be popular.

It was before its time

The box office

Terrible marketing

I was so jaded with other 3D crap films at the time I never saw it in theaters :(

Plebs don't appreciate greatness

3D gimmicks

I didn't know it existed before long after release

Dredd himself is not very interesting

No marketing.

>2 hour grim dark film on low budget

Misses the point of what Judge Dredd is about. Would have worked better as some kind of tv series that could have got into the more juicy parts of the source material

Most of my friends who knew nothing about Judge Dredd just thought it was a shitty fascist version of The Raid

I don't think Dredd's comic book aesthetic and feel could be replicated on-screen.

In terms of the movie? Nothing, it was fucking awesome.

stallone stigma.

Nothing. Its a fantastic movie. I don't even want a sequel desu senpai

You have terrible friends.

How can a post be so completely wrong?

THIS
Dredd was 100%

t. plebs

Nothing. The movie was kinest of kinos. Music, settings, cuts, right dosing of action and dialogues, even rookie Anderson was well fleshed out characters, and unlike the rest of stronk, inpendambmint wymon of today she is distinct, relatable personality. It even did 3D better than any other flick up to date.

Only thing bad was bad advertisement campaign that buried the movie.

Bonus points for Urban not caving to usual actor ego and keeping his helmet on. Easily the favorite movie of mine.

Cursed Earth trilogy when?

>take incredibly rich source material with reams of interesting content
>use about 1% of it

>"movie" shot in front of a green screen in its entirety
>kino
It looked like a late-night show sketch

It was a British film shot in South Africa, and they failed to market it properly. tbqh I quite liked it.

Not enough people went to see it to warrant a sequel.

Judge Dredd 1995 came out before and ruined Judge Dredd in the eyes of the casual moviegoing and American public forever.

Unless you wanted to make some 5-6 hour movie that no one will watch, Dredd took the right move and did the slice of life thing and left the bigger complexities of the Justice Department, other Megacities, Cursed Earth, ect for later so it's not too convoluted for the average movie goer.

No full front Anderson nude scene.

These.

Hope Karl Urban comes back for the TV show.

Mainstream audiences not really knowing who or what Dredd is, and it's not full of quips and leftie propaganda

Nothing it was incredible

The 3D was actually well done though.

It was a combination of poor advertising and Stallone's legacy.

We didn't immediately get a sequel

Not part of an expanded universe.

nothing, it was a good movie and that's all it needed to be

Nothing, loved that movie.

I'd be OK with a 2000AD verse with Strontium Dog and ABC warriors.

>The 3D was actually well done though.

Besides Avatar the Dredd is the only movie shot with actual proper 3D gear, unlike the rest of the movies who are made 3d in post production.
They even made it a little lighter, so that you can actually see shit with those dark 3d glasses. Genius idea, that flies completely over the heads of the rest of movie makers.

Dredd was "capeshit" done right. And the character is pretty different than ordinary "heroes", there was a lot of space and stories available in HQs to be used in cinema.

Unfortunalety, marketing wasn't that big and american theaters boycott it. Brit movie and filmed in South Africa? No chance in US (and any other country who follows Uncle Sam releases).

To be honest, it was a R+ movie selled as PG-13... And that was a wrong move. MFW no Judgefu sequel.

Look at this scene. Basically an 80's homage. Sweet as fuck.

>stallone stigma.
1995 --------------------------------> 2012
Take of the band-aid. 17 years is more than enough for a reboot/remaster/reset/whatever.

>Take of the band-aid. 17 years is more than enough for a reboot/remaster/reset/whatever.
It should be, but I remember the reactions of my normie coworkers at the time of Dredd. It was either
>Judge Dredd? The Stallone movie? That was so bad!
or
>Judge Dredd? Nah, can't beat Stallone. Why does Hollywood keep remaking stuff?

Either way, they had Stallone on the brain. Also, remember that Total Recall had been released just a month earlier so everyone was feeling pretty smug and saying "see, you can't mess with the 90s classics".