Learn Japanese or Chinese?

>Japan has better movies / anime
>Way more Chinese in the US than Japanese
>Japan would be a more enjoyable vacation spot, but if for some reason I wanted to immigrate and become a citizen thats pretty much impossible.
>Japanese reseach is more robust than Chinese, but their best stuff is published in English anyways in all likelihood
>No idea whether Jap or Chinese online community is “better”.

Which would you chose to learn? And why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XGmDCWXc2OQ
iwillteachyoualanguage.com/how-to-write-in-japanese/
youtube.com/watch?v=yrbpwCJIlEA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ask yourself.

both

If both then which would you learn first and why

ちんぐちょんぐぴんぐりんぐです

Neither

Learn Japanese. Fuck Chinese, it’s like the most overrated language in existence. People keep treating it like you’ll instantly be a millionaire the moment you can speak mandarin and will have secret connections with the Chinese elite or some bullshit. Just learn Japanese.

Whatever comes to you first. Though I'm guessing a lot of the CCP shills here will vehemently defend Chinese because they're insecure as fuck chinks.

>you’ll instantly be a millionaire the moment you can speak mandarin and will have secret connections with the Chinese elite

Kek’d

You'll NEVER follow through with learning a language if you're just doing it for """""business opportunity""""". Actual interest is way more important.

Thus, Japan seems like a better choice, unless you specifically happen to be a Sinoboo, in which case you're better off with Mandarin.

I’m not a huge weeb, I dont binge watch anime or have anything japanese in my house. I do enjoy their movies though.

From what I see chinese media is india tier low budget shit, and nobody watches their cartoons.

BUT if I hear someone speaking an Asian language in my vicinity IRL, 99% of time it is chinese. I’ve only met one jap descendant in my 30 years in the US.

learn something, learn anything. just stop procrastinating and asking other people and do it yourself THEN come back and brag literal child

>learning east asian languages in USA
>ever
If you're in USA just be monolingual, it doesn't mean you're dumb, it's just that USA is completely isolated with outside world other than mexicans and leafs and mexicans will learn english themselves
China and japan are usually quite autistic, don't like gaijin or laowai and you'd never be able to get with them well even when you can speak japanese or chinese like a local chinese or japanese

If thats really the case that I cant bond on a personal level with them, then I should learn Japanese just because I enjoy their media content, and forget that most people I will come in contact with will speak Chinese and not Japanese if they speak either at all.

>you'd never be able to get with them well even when you can speak japanese or chinese like a local chinese or japanese
Yes, but you can also just speak to other people who are also learning the language or gaijin hunters. They will engage in conversation likely. Also, you can read the packaging on products

>that I cant bond on a personal level with them
You can always bond with us user. Some people on Sup Forums are also learning Japanese. Also, you have to realize that 99.8% of the words you are hearing every day are English, so you'll never get to use either language really

Surprisingly my spanish has stayed strong despite not hearing it much (maybe a 30 minute conversation a week) but I’ve known spanish for many years.

It is concerning though that theres no real Japanese community here to kind of feel out whats a normal way of saying certain things.

Sounds good since they'll learn english in USA anyways
Chinese stuff is quite shit thanks to ccp killing stuff that might hurt their future chinese citizens because they're either violent or sexual somehow
Would suggest only when you're commies
While japanese have things ranged from cp anime with traps fucking loli while old man eating scats of that trap to quality content so yes you'd be able to get some good stuff as long as you don't fall into some parts of shitty culture in japan (in my opinion)

Or this
Or do it for yellow fever if you are suffering from one
No other reason to learn desu

Why are you trying to discourage him, you filthy, uneducated chink? You are just one more Japanese among milions of them. You don't represent absolutely ANYTHING to say such things.

OP, don't listen to him and learn whatever you want.

Yeah one negative factor for learning Chinese is its a communist state and I wouldnt feel safe there, I could get kidnapped and tortured for information on my employer (tech company).

Whereas knowing Japanese and visiting Japan isnt a red flag since allies.

Why so mad brazilian?
You learnt both? Or you're just weeb or sinoboo?
Share your story then

>It is concerning though that theres no real Japanese community here to kind of feel out whats a normal way of saying certain things
Actually Japanese is very easy in that regard, as they only use a limited set of sounds in the language. Once you start going through the anki deck, you'll quickly pick up the correct pronunciation. You'll still probably be off somewhat, but you'll be close enough in many cases

>gaijin hunters
Wut?

I mean, for example, I dont know the exact example so bare with me, but I hear the way to say “hiking” in chinese is to combine the symbol for “climb” and “mountain”. Do you memorize that?

What if you say “climb” + “hill” instead of mountain? Will I be understood? Will people think I mean to walk up a slope instead of hike?

I imagine sometimes there are different kanji combinations that could gve you the same “idea” but I imagine theres certain common or favorite combinations to mean specific things.

Hey, Japanon has a point. Learning Japanese (or any language for that matter besides English) is basically retarded, since English is the global lingua franca. Japanon is giving this guy a heaping dose of reality. The only benefit this user will have from learning Japanese is personal accomplishment and bragging rights

>I have to justify being an EOP so I'll just say I don't need to learn anything else
Okay bud

Learn Latin and Greek if you are an European descendent.

Opposite desu
They're not commies anymote but they need to say and do propaganda that they're commies to say they're still that good old commies that defeated japan and saved china
No commies will ever do good in economy
Not even mentioning that they're not that deep in desire for average tech anymore unless you have some f22 maps and material with you
They're pretty much capitalists now and you'd end up pretty safe in china if you are willing to do so other than breathing some dirty but cleaner air than India and eating food you never eat in USA chinese restaurant and maybe suffer from stomachaches
You literally don't need to worry about anything in japan other than being watched every time you're outside and them speaking weird english to you with annoyed face, which is also likely to happen in china too
Still, you'd never want to learn a language because of a trip, it's just not worth it, especially in USA where you have to take plane and fly 23 hours or so to get to a place worth visiting

Both languages are fucking dogshit but if you had to choose then I'd go with Chinese, at least that is useful.

I know guys who barely know Chinese that got very well paid jobs because of it.

I get what your saying user. I'm new to Japanese, so I encounter these issues all the time. For example, in Japanese, cow is 牛 (ushi) and meat is 肉 (niku), but beef is 牛肉 (gyuuniku). However, if you didn't know the Japanese word for beef, you could always just say 牛の肉 (ushi no niku), which would literally be saying "cow meat". I'm sure a native Japanese speaker would understand it. Actually, part of the fun of learning Japanese is playing around with these combinations when you don't know the correct words. But, you are right that there are some obviously correct usages that you won't know at first and will result in you producing some clumsy sentences which can be misinterpreted

It's a term used to mean Japanese men and women that are attracted to foreigner. It's like the reverse of someone who has yellow fever

>You'll NEVER follow through with learning a language if you're just doing it for """""business opportunity""""".

works just fine for most eur languages because you can learn 500 words a day

China has way better TV dramas. Japan shows are shit compared to recent Chinese shows. Nirvana in fire is absolutely epic, nice action shows and melodrama. Of course korea destroys both in tv drama but it's korea > china > japan in media terms. China has the best literary history, many great classics that japanese doesn't have as many. In literature it's China > Japan > Korea. For economics, there isn't much for either if you don't have a business to outsource or get partners in that region but if you do, China > Korea > Japan. Aesthetics and sound, I think it's China > Japan > korea since hangul is lame and boring. China has more people to talk to and practice as well and more places you can visit with it, I think China > Japan > Korean in usability. Overall China #1. If you want to move over there permanently I think Korean is the best option, then Chinese(you can to taiwan or hk if you want to try canto). so Korea > China > japanese but maybe this is not you. Examine why you want to learn it.

Let's face it, he just wants to get into some Asian qts panties. Chinese in that case. But if he's an autist who prefer watching shows then Japanese. Learning both is kinda tricky since many words overlap with different pronunciations

I’m torn between both of those motives, leaning japanese for the media because thats a sure thing, whereas I might not date a chinese girl, and even if I do she probably will speak english better than chinese.

I dont know i find Japanese to be a prettier sounding language, followed by chinese, then korean, then the south east asian languages.

I dont know enough about the tv drama scene. I do know I enjoy the old black & white japanese movies though, they have a western or Shakespearian quality to them that I like.

>learning about japanese for the first time
>start getting into how the two kanas work
>start understanding the origin of some kanji
Holy fuck I have never seen a bigger clusterfuck before, how do people manage to operate with such a mess as a language?

A decent number of the Chinese in the US speak cantonese and not mandarin so you could put in all that effort and get fucked.

I understand you guys discouraging him. World these days is pretty competitive, nah? Anyone who wants to improve themselves must be put down with silly excuses like "well, you already know a language everyone is learning", is it?
You're pathetic. Fuck off.

The fact that they started the slow process of simplifying their language after getting nuked twice is a bit funny.

I wonder how much economic prosperity is lost by Japan due to the inefficiency of Japanese language and lack of really good English connections to the outside.

>how do people manage to operate with such a mess as a language?
It's really retarded their system user. They could actually just simplify the entire thing by using only hiragana and adding some punctuation to their sentences. It would save people having to memorize 2000 kanji

>I dont know enough about the tv drama scene
watch nirvana in fire, battle of changsha, the advisors alliance, sound of the desert, three kingdoms, love o2o, a love so beautiful. and there is taiwan dramas. autumn's concerto, black and white, and many nice movies. do not worry about media to explore with chinese, it is very top quality, much better than india. look at this: youtube.com/watch?v=XGmDCWXc2OQ

Japan has better movies and anime obviously. The newer Chinese TV shows are really good, especially traditional stuff. Little down side is the better ones use little bit of acient spoken Chinese as suppose to modern Chinese. Korean has mostly romantic drama geared towards women. Japanese TV shows usually have same plot, logic and over acting as anime, so you might as well watch anime. But then most anime are translated due to popularity

>Anyone who wants to improve themselves must be put down with silly excuses
You're retarded. There is no economic benefit from the OP learning a language in the modern age of technology. The only benefit is personal achievement. That's all we are saying. You and I both know this brazilanon

What about the Chinese / Japanese internet landscape? I imagine China’s firewall impedes them a bit.

There’s 2chan for Japan I know that

>economic benefit

there's something worse called jealousy

What happened to you user? What made you get so mad at the people in this thread? Do you wanna talk about it?

You don't have to learn Japanese.

Depends what you want, forums Japan maybe. Video sites bilibili is ahead of nicnico by maybe 5 years at this point. Mobil apps Japan basically gave up, while you can easily find Chinese gaijin hunters on their tinder. Chinese vine/ Twitter are also gold mine for reddit reposters. However Japan remains the king for YouTube bloggers since the ppl share YouTube videos are mostly kids

Tantan?

I'm looking at iwillteachyoualanguage.com/how-to-write-in-japanese/ right now and holy fuck
>hiragana and katakana
>both together are called "kana"
>even tho the shared part is "ana"
>Hiragana
>the whole particle clusterfuck
>but also some native japanese words for some (????) reason even though it's Katakana that deals with non traditional words
>katakana
>used for foreign words
>doesn't has 99% of the consonant SOUNDS
>literally meaning you can't write or teach certain SOUNDS in japanese
>meaning you have to write Hanbaagu because Hamburger is impossible for them
>kanji
>the easiest ones meant to look like simple caricatures of certain objects
>look absofuckinglutely nothing like said objects
>certain words are the combinations of some characters
>for some reason other characters are supposed to look like the combination of simpler characters and their meaning
>look absolutely nothing like the original ones the meaning is absolutely not intuitive
>Kanji can have two different sounds depending on whether or not it's on a compound word just to piss off the chinese
I LITERALLY CAN'T STOP LAUGHING
IT'S LIKE A JOKE

It's really not hard

Tantan, momo and wechat search stranger function. Not sure which is the best. Most Chinese Mobil apps don't have a default monopoly yet unlike the us. Same goes for video sites and streaming sites, they have 2~4 major ones fighting to become the YouTube and twitch

So tantan works in the US? Theres that many peking ducks ready for fucks?

Is it mostly chinese girls who are new to the US or even americanized asians use it?

Does that voice Japanese men do when angry or trying to sound tough have a name?

I have yet to see a single japanese movie as kino as Hero.

Chinese, you're more likely to use it.

Makes you realize why japs/koreans/chinese never blended together they only killed eachother. They cant fucking understand eachother lol.

Europeans on the other hand often learned one anothers language without too much issue, so there was intermingling.

you know languages all have very similar vocabulary since korean and chinese get lots of words from Chinese? and their alphabet comes from Chinese, even though koreans don't use it much anymore.

I really don't know, never really used those apps. Mostly just hear about it from friends brag. I assume the 100% americanized would just use tinder... So obviously most on momo/ tantan would be exchange students/ yuppies.

*Korean and Japanese

>>literally meaning you can't write or teach certain SOUNDS in japanese
user, the language is mangled so fucking horribly laughable at this point, that the word "plastic" for example
>in English
plastic
>in Japamemes
プラスチック
purasuchikku

The pronunciations are totally different though. So maybe if they write down some kanji/hanzi they can understand eachother but otherwise no

What made that really funny to me was that I had looked into Mandarin and it's organization before and SOMEHOW besides being older and having Kanji built around it, it's much simpler and more practical. Makes you wonder what kind of lunatic would take something and decide to make is as unintuitive as possible, just because...
How do they function holy shit

Chinese.
youtube.com/watch?v=yrbpwCJIlEA

>How do they function holy shit
They literally don't, their economy is in the toilet

Everyone use to use Chinese writing system, hanzi/ kanji/ hanja. Japan popularised the Kanas 1000ish think? Korea ditched Chinese characters in the 1960s and Vietnam switched to half French after the colonization. Ppl who to understand each other by writing

Think with chinese is you have to really get your voice inflection right, and you need to know like 8k hanzi.

Whereas japanese is 2000 kanji but with different pronounciations and kana on the side

Checked.

No seriously why not create some extra Katakana for those consonant sounds, like nigga HOW? How does one NOT certain sounds in their language, how do they say "video" for example? Witeo? Wikeo? It's just so unbelievably funny.

You have a point. Actually I think the recent Korean movies are really good. I think Korea might have better consistency in good movies, China makes a classic once in a while. Mostly memorable Japanese movies are all very very old.

>There is no economic benefit
You have no worth as a human being.

Well when you think about it, why make a symbol for a sound they cant make?

Chicken or the egg?

English has hundreds of thoudands of completely bastardised loan words -you even used a handful without realising- yet no one bats an eye.
Stop being a pig ignorant cunt.

They did add a few actually. For example, the only sound with an f is ふ (fu). However, if they wanted to borrow a word with a fa sound, like sofa, they can add a little ア (a in katakana) to the end of フ (fu in katakana) to make ファ (fa).

However, they dropped the ball in virtually every other case. Video is ビデオ (bideo), as they have no v sounds. Nor do they have any L sounds. For example "file" is ファイル (fairu)

Why am I learning this meme language?

nobody cares poor and shitty chinese tv shows/pop unless you're chink parasites in usa/canada/australia

>tell people they should either learn things for economic improvements or for personal achievement
>this doesn't sit well with the Aussie for some reason
>"You worthless subhuman garbage, you learn because I say you should learn"
Why am I not surprised

But how come they never had to use it before? Also it's not like it's unheard of languages adapting just so they become more practical? Example the letter "w" didn't exist in portuguese, at least the brazilian variation, until recently, when it was added because of foreigner influence. Surprisingly not only it was quickly adopted but new words using said letter were created since then.

I mean it's NOT that fucking hard, make perfect english a mandatory class for all their years and start phasing the old Kanji out.

Are you joking or just retarded? Having loan words is not the problem, the problem is not adapting and making the language your country uses as practical as possible. Adaptability is a sign of strength and your language should be a tool that helps you, not an enemy you have to struggle with.

>Why am I learning this meme language?
Probably for the same reason why I'm for the first time getting interested in it, it's useless, because it's only used in one small as fuck country, it's contrived, and it makes very little logical sense, feels a challenge, trying to break a code created specifically to be unpractical.

>Europeans on the other hand often learned one anothers language without too much issue, so there was intermingling.

Delusional EUshill thinks Europeans didn't kill each other as much as Asians did.

Shut the fuck up, school dropout.

Japanese being hard to learn made sure the Portuguese couldn't turn Japan into another bastardized Christian colony.

Besides Mainland Chinese is Maoist Garbage.

Mainly, the Taiwanese still practice Traditional Chinese not the simplified communist crap.

>Japan has better movies

kys takeshi

no, the words often have a similar pronounciation but to the phonetics of the language. for each kanji there is a native japanese pronounciation and a chinese derived pronouncation. and remember how the characters got there in the first place.

>Probably for the same reason why I'm for the first time getting interested in it, it's useless, because it's only used in one small as fuck country, it's contrived, and it makes very little logical sense, feels a challenge, trying to break a code created specifically to be unpractical.
You actually have summed it up perfectly. I picked it up specifically because it's an impractical clusterfuck that virtually nobody uses. It's hilarious to Frankenstein sentences in Japanese together where you can use all of the different writing systems like:
>私は3アップルを食べります。
>I eat 3 apples

latin alphabet is missing tons of phonetics

>Japanese being hard to learn made sure the Portuguese couldn't turn Japan into another bastardized Christian colony.
>"let's make our own lives a lot harder just so foreigners can't assimilate"
>"let's use an archaic understanding of the world to excuse our bumfuckingretarded language not evolving"
Nigga you dumb.

And I'm aware of how the different chinese dialects.

t.たけし

Thank God I'm not たけし. Japan's work culture is horrendous. You guys seriously need to fix that up

It's really not though, it's missing flexions of specific sounds, like for example the Omega sound which like an "r" that's pronounced with the end of your mouth/beginning of your throat. That being said you can still use the letter "r" with, say, an accent to indicate the sound Omega.

On top of that while the english language does have problems such as a far too lax acceptance of different pronunciations, which fucks up a native's speaker understanding of accents, other languages that actually use those can clearly understand the different tones.

All that taken into consideration, even english is a much much more complete and practical language than Japanese.

I'm just gonna leave this here

This graph doesn't take into account unpaid overtime every Nip does, PLUS the sucking of your bosses dick at after-work drinking parties, so take that meme graph and stick it straight up your ass.

well no, for example you can't even romanize korean words effectively with latin since there's no way to mark aspirations. koreans aspirate consonants, in english we voice consonants, and there's no way for us to write that. hangul can, but english can't, because hangul is made for korean language. we adopt european languages to latin writing system instead of making a writing system to match the phones we use, so in a way kana/hangul is much better way to represent language than latin.

No one's fault that you are all beta cucks who can't say no to their boss.

they have a retarded corporate culture where nobody will hire you again if you get fired and the only way to get a job is straight out of school since they only recruit at schools.

お前サビ残がある所で働かされているのか…

可哀想(T_T)

Average Japanese knows 3500 kanji at least. 2000kanji is meme and lie and the educated one most likely know above 4500kanji.And some Kanji mania even knows 8000-10000kanji.

>fucks bitches
Debatable
>successful
Even more debatable
>gives no shit about stupid shit like human rights
So that is why they are trying to model their legislation after the EU, huh?
>anti-imperialist
China is currently ass deep in africa with an imperialist agenda
>enjoys [...]
Ok
>anti-degenerate
Chink society is extremely degenerate wtf are you talking about

Well but then you start falling again into the practicality of it, in terms of phonology, aspirants are much more complex to reproduce than basic consonant sounds. It's not languages using roman characters don't have aspirations either, it's simply that a person must have the situational knowledge of which words have it or not, most people don't even realize that though.

You can't in good mind make a comparison between that and the Japanese language lacking something as basic as phonology for "L" or "V".

japanese words don't use "L" or "V", why should their alphabet?

The Spanish language doesn't use the letter W whatsoever outside of loan words.

To begin with because it makes much harder for them to play on a global field, things such as international cooperation get an extra barrier due to this, several types of tools (such as voice detection, coding languages and scientific tools in general) are completely incompatible with their language.It also makes the population's life in general much harder because since they are a tiny country with a tiny population they have to rely on outside data for non mainstream subjects, which means they either have to learn a different language, or rely on professional translations which due to the language are much more time consuming.

So? New words can be created with the said word now.