Dr. Strange's Strongest Opponent

As the Sorcerer Supreme, Dr. Strange goes up against plenty of Lovecraftian deities, Demons, abstracts, and other really powerful things.
But who is the most powerful? Cthon, Dormammu, and Shuma-Gorath seem like the most likely contenders to me, but I was curious if there was anyone else who fit the bill.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gqy5jqpLbgw
youtube.com/watch?v=_6mDxjG49K8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shuma, no contest. If Shuma breaks into 616, the universe just ends.

This.

Dormammu in his own realm is strong as fuck and definitely Strange's true nemesis, but Shuma-Gorath is simply not on a tier you can 'fight' in a classical comic book sense.

Shuma-Gorath pretty much the final boss for Doctor Strange.

Shuma can attack you on so many metaphysical levels, I know he's not the only "many angled one", but Shuma is a death sentence.

If you can even defeat Shuma-Gorath, you're still fucked because you become him. Hence why Strange will always fight enough to push Shuma back to wherever he's coming from

I've only ever seen Shuma in the context of Marvel vs Capcom games where he's just one more weirdo with kind of a jokey story-line.

What stuff can I read that has him as this terrifying outer-worldly force?

Okay, I know Shuma is the obvious answer... but can a case be made for Zom or Cthon?

Doesn't he end up in Conan the barbarians universe at one point?

Marvel Premiere #3-15 is pretty much it? Any other time Shuma appears it's a one off or just a name drop

Pretty sure the most recent was during Infinity. Strange is brainwashed into summoning a physical manifestation of Shuma to New York, but gets pushed back by Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau

He shows up during Strange's new run

I wouldn't recommend reading it though. Imperikul is so lame and the "death of magic" is such an obvious depower for movie synergy

Yeah. Crom fucks him up.

Based grim God of the north.

He plays a big role in Strange Tales v2.

>Shuma-Gorath is simply not on a tier you can 'fight' in a classical comic book sense.
tell that to Conan

Is Crom the reason we have to deal with Shuma?

CROOOOOMMMM!

Conan didn't really fight Shuma, he relied on From and some magic books to do the heavy lifting.

Crom*. Stupid autocorrect.

Sort of. Marvel's Conan the Barbarian comics actually take place in the distant past of Earth-616 (and yes, through time travel, Conan and Red Sonja have traveled to the present, and Spider-Man and other superheroes have been to the Hyborian Age). They can't actually reference Conan himself or other characters from the books because they lost the license, but Marvel can still use things they created in the Conan comic, and they are still considered canonical to Earth-616's history.

Score Strange rouges gallery general?

Loved when he took on the Fear Lords. RIP Straw-Man

Silver Dagger is clearly the most powerful

heh that's pretty cool, so sort of like Godzilla and the Micronauts?

Chthon raped Strange's ass when he tried to attack him in the Flickering Realms.

Strange does not understand Chaos Magic, which Chthon created.

What are the best Doctor Strange comics? The movie trailer got me interested.

Yep. Exactly like Godzilla and the Micronauts (albeit easier to sweep under the rug when the license expired, due to the whole "being set in the distant past" thing).

Hey, don't knock Silver Dagger. He's a great idea that just hasn't been utilized properly in a while.

Everything that doesn't feature Blue Mage or 90s goth trenchcoat Strange

Man, fuck 90s Strange in the ass. Those were some terrible comics.

Pretty sure Silver Dagger got rekt by Rintrah?

Is Rintrah still alive? Has he ever come back?

Well yeah because Chaos magic is a misnomer and it's the magic of womankind

Fuck Robinson

>Is Rintrah still alive? Has he ever come back?

No, because Roy Thomas is a dick.

C'thon #1 vagina super fan

I don't know, I thought it has been pretty fun.
Though I've been wondering why none of the abstracts or really powerful magic guys haven't done anything about those magic killing fucks yet.

Didn't Doom take his cookies?

Who, Strange?

one version of one planet in the omniverse having a bit of a dry spell for a year is probably so far below their radar its not even worth looking into

I think the last time Zom showed up was World War Hulk?

Strange made a deal with Zom for more demonic power to fight the Green Scar and it basically amounted to big maces for fists.
And that was somewhat related to Strange losing his position as Sorcerer Supreme

>TOP TIER
Shuma-Gorath, Dormammu, Kaluu, Mephisto

>GOOD TIER
Umar, Cthon, The Fear Lords, Dracula

>MEDIOCRE TIER
Silver Dagger, Mordo, Satannish

>SHIT TIER
Zom, Mephista, Yandroth, Lilith

Shuma-Gorath is actually from one of Robert E. Howard's Kull stories, "The Curse of the Golden Skull." He's just a name invoked in a curse, though.

Yeah pretty sure any member of the Vishanti, Cyrotakk, or any other godly type being could wreck Imperikul

Doctor Strange? the SORCERER Doctor Strange?

I feel the same way about the monthly releases but going back and reading it 4-5 issues at a time, it's pretty good.

Definitely below God Butcher but definitely above the mess Aaron wrote after it. If anything, I'd say this is a little too much like God Butcher but with Magic.

Chthon created Witches, therefore witches had greatest knowledge of his magic, thus Agatha Harkness understood it.

Robinson completely missed the point with the "woman magic" thing, and missed a whole angle of Chthon's connection to witchcraft as a rich avenue of history to explore to pander to SJWs.

Robinson's Silver Surfer:
"I draw my Power Cosmic not from Galactus, but from the power inherent in Penis."

Chthon = Class 1 (top tier) Demon
Mephisto = Class 3 (mediocre tier) Demon

Umar and Mephista are just rule 63 clones.

>Satannish
>Mediocre

Come on. He's totally equal to Mephisto. Both of them almost got into an all out brawl over who gets to kill Strange

Did anyone ever use Umar after that Defenders mini? Much as I love the mini, I want to see her redeemed from being a joke slut character.

The biggest threat to Strange is that Dark Dimension pawg Clea

OH SWEAT VASHANTI LOOK AT THAT BOOTY

I ain't ranking on power levels. Mephisto's less powerful but a much more enjoyable character than Cthon.

Everyone knows Clea is where it's at. Especially Benjamin Franklin.

Yep. And because Marvel actually did something with Shuma (namely, making him a character instead of a one-off name, and trademarking/copyrighting him), that means they own him.

Incidentally, since Howard's Conan and Kull stories and H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos referenced each other now and then (e.g. a Cimmerian named "Crom-Ya" appears in Lovecraft's "The Shadow out of Time", Howard's "The Tower of the Elephant" explicitly references the Old Ones and outright mentioned Cthulhu in the first draft), and because Conan is canon to Marvel, that also makes Marvel (most notably, Strange's corner of Marvel, due to the Shuma-Gorath connection) a peripheral part of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Figured this would be the best place to ask but is there anything older worth reading with Doctor Voodoo?

I'm about to read Avenger of the Super Natural.

Beyonder.

Sure is PLEB in here.

>'''''people'''' actually think shitstains like Hulk or Sentry can hold a candle to this guy

got btfo by Doom

Robert E Howard was pals with Lovecraft so Conan gets to fight eldritch shit that is even beyond capes powers

>Doom
>not the greatest human being in all of fiction
Pick one.

Huh, maybe this series is actually canon, then.

Who is the most powerful?

How can there be any doubt? Just listen to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=gqy5jqpLbgw

youtube.com/watch?v=_6mDxjG49K8

To be honest, I think Strange's most powerful enemy is Zom.

I mean, if Dormammu and Eternity team up and the most they can do is imprison you...

Also, consider this:

ETERNITY: "Thanos is attempting to usurp me! I ask that the Living Tribunal intervene!
LIVING TRIBUNAL: "nope, lol"
CHAOS KING: "I shall destroy the universe entire! Death, the gods and demons have already fallen before my might!"
LIVING TRIBUNAL: (snores)
STRANGE: "In the name of the Eternal, by the rings of Ragadorr, tho' his spirit be infernal, Zom must live once more!"
LIVING TRIBUNAL:"oshit, nigga, what have you done?!"

>Kaluu
>villain

pls

>thinking Hulk and Sentry are remotely on the same tier

nigga Bob is a reality warper and right now emergency powered by Celestials, he'd lose to Classic Strange of course, but come on he operates on similar level of bullshit asspull powers which I absolutely adore

this guy knows what's fucking up

On the other hand, Zom was originally beaten by giving him a haircut. He's kind of a stupid villain.

That is precisely why he's so great.

Magus

Sentry should have a new mini every year

>Remenders promised "Rising Sun" FUCKING NEVER
>awesome/awkward team-ups never
>cosmic insanity never
>meeting with Ultimates and Thanos never
>rematch with Anti-Man never

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Marvel needs to do more horror. Actually, comics in general needs more horror. It used to be a dominant genre.

Back to page one!

I really want them to bring back Silver Dagger as a super experienced magehunter who's responsible for the relatively low number of powerful sorcerers in the MU: because he's been murdering anyone who gets too powerful for years.

Aaron's whole "War on magic" shtick would have been way cooler if Silver Dagger had been behind it instead of these Empirikul clowns.