SDCC 2016 ROUND-UP: MARVEL STUDIOS

DOCTOR STRANGE

>The movie will introduce the concept of alternative timelines and parallel universes, building up to the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse.

New trailer.

youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RCB_OcJcDYY
youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Looks great.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

Plot details.

>The Guardians of the Galaxy - Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Drax (Dave Bautista), Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Groot (Vin Diesel) - have become celebrities after saving the Nova Empire and offer their heroic services for a proper price. They are hired by Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki), a member of an extraterrestrial race known as "The Ancients", to embark on a dangerous mission.

>Star-Lord and Gamora's relationship has progressed to the point where they are co-leaders of the team and often bickering, with Star-Lord being impulsive and reckless, and Gamora being stoic and careful. Drax and Rocket are still adapting to being part of a team, and Groot, still in an infant stage, is more immature and impulsive than his older self.

>Yondu Udonta (Michael Rooker) joins the team the Ravagers mutiny against him for allowing Star-Lord to escape with one of the Infinity Stones. The Ravagers are now led by Taserface (Chris Sullivan).

>Nebula (Karen Gillian) also joins the team, but might have ulterior motives for doing so.

>The team crosses paths with Star-Lord's father, Ego (Kurt Russell), an ancient extraterrestrial lifeform that appears to be a living planet. Out of loneliness, he created a human form to explore the cosmos and wound up on Earth, where he fell in love with Star-Lord's mother.

>The clairvoyant Mantis (Pom Kleitmantieff) is one of the inhabitants of Ego, unexperienced with social interactions due to years living alone, and joins the team as well.

>Sylvester Stallone will play a pivotal role in the movie.

Footage description.

Scene 1

>Yondu, Rocket and Baby Groot have been captured by the Ravagers led by Taserface, who is planning to surrender them to the Kree. Yondu and Rocket are locked up in a prison cell, while Baby Groot, whom Taserface considers "a harmless twig too cute to kill", gets put on a birdcage, and one of the Ravagers is ordered against poking Baby Groot's eye out.

>Baby Groot manages to escape, and Yondu calls for him to retrieve his fin, which allows him to control the Yara arrow. Baby Groot instead produces several other stolen items including a mechanical eye, an office desk and a pair of underwears, before Rocket manages to give him proper instructions. Yondu gets his fin back, and calls for his arrow, which slaughters hundreds of Ravagers in rapid succession as Jay & The Americans' "Come a Little Bit Closer" plays on the ship's speakers.

>During the mayhem, Baby Groot finds the Ravager that wanted to poke his eye out and throws him off of a catwalk to his death.

Scene 2

>Star-Lord and Gamora are standing atop an alien-looking skyscrapper, waiting for an extradimensional beast they've been hired to kill. Star-Lord notes it's weird seeing Gamora with a gun, as she usually prefers swords, but she chastises him for thinking she'd take on a monster with only a sword. As they begin to bicker, a montage follows, to Fleetwood Mac's "Break the Chain".

>Star Lord suiting up for battle.
>Drax stranded on an alien landscape, saying "screw spaceships" under his breath as he's left behind.
>Gamora taking on the extradimensional beast with her sword after her gun is destroyed.
>Rocket firing at all sides, with Baby Groot on his shoulder.
>Drax punching organic-looking walls.
>The team meeting their newest member, Mantis.

>The team meeting their newest employer, Ayesha, one of the Ancients. Rocket introduces himself, saying that Star-Lord had told him the Ancients were a bunch of "conceited jackasses", but he thinks they're cool. Star-Lord shuts him up and refers to him as a raccoon, which Rocket takes offense to. As they bicket, Star-Lord settles for calling him a "trash panda".

>Finally, as the team stands on the same alien landscape from earlier, an technological egg-like ship appears, from which comes Ego, the human manifestation of the living planet they're in. He introduces himself as Peter's father, to the team's surprise, and talks of how, out of loneliness, he made a human form for himself, so he could visit Earth and where he fell in love with Peter's mother Meredith. When asked by Drax if his human form is anatomically correct, Ego confirms "Yes, Drax. I do have a penis. And it's a pretty good one, too".

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

Plot details

>Peter Parker (Tom Holland) is struggling to balance his private life with his responsabilities as Spider-Man, which is further complicated when his efforts to find a date for the homecoming dance converge with the emergence of his first supervillain, The Vulture (Michael Keaton).

>Zendaya Coleman is playing Michelle, one of Peter's classmates, who is kind and smart.

>Laura Harrier is playing Liz Allan, one of Peter's classmates whom he has a crush on.

>Jacob Batalon is playing Ned Leeds, Peter's best friend.

>Tony Revolori is playing Eugene "Flash" Thompson, one of Peter's classmates who often bullies him.

>Shocker and the Tinkerer are reportedly also in the movie, played by Bookem Woodbine and Logan Marshall-Green, respectively.

>The script written by John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein ("Vacation") was revised by Chris McKenna & Erik Sommers ("The LEGO Batman Movie") and Jon Watts & Christopher Ford ("Cop Car"). Watts is also the director of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING.

What happened to the Inhumans movie?

That's not till like 2018.

Removed from the lineup indefinitely.

>Star-Lord is reckless and impulsive!
>Gamora is stoic and careful!
>Drax and Rocket don't play well with others!

Sure would be nice if these characters got some actual development.

why did they pull it back indefinitely? don't they have faith in it?

gotg worked well considering the premise, why not apply the same process for the inhumans?

Probably shitcanned.

>judging character development based on the synopsis for a yet to be released film

are you for real?

>Star-Lord's father, Ego

>Ayesha, one of the Ancients
>Ayesha is created from the same group that made Adam Warlock in the comics.
This might be a clue of how they might introduce him when they decide to.

Footage description.

>Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation" play over a series of yearbook pictures of Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Natasha Romanoff and Bruce Banner, among others. "EVERY STORY HAS A BEGINNING" appears onscreen.

>Peter Parker arrives at school and notices a banner for the Homecoming Dance. At math class, he's watching footage of himself fighting Giant-Man instead of paying attention. The teacher asks a question which Flash Thompson eagerly answers, but gets wrong. The teacher turns to Peter, who answer it correctly despite not paying attention, upsetting Flash.

>At women studies class, Peter and Ned Leeds are checking out their female classmates. Peter notes they have to stop before it gets creepy, and one of the girl quips "too late". Later, at chemistry class, Peter is using school supplies to synthetize his web fluid while the other students are working on their assignments.

>At gym class, Peter is doing push-ups while eavesdropping on some girls playing "F, Marry, Girl" with superheroes. While the other girls don't like Spider-Man, Michelle thinks he's hot, which interests Peter.

>At webdesign class, Peter gets a text and hurries out of the classroom. Michelle asks "What are you hiding, Peter?", followed by a series of flashes of Spider-Man running up cars, climbing walls and fighting muggers. While Peter is trying to come up with an excuse, Michelle jokingly tells him she was just messing with him.

>"SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING" appears onscreen, followed by the Vulture menacingly emerging from the shadows.

Because comic readers don't give a shit about them, why would normal movie goers.

It's apparently important enough to put in the synopsis so why shouldn't I?

You'd figure the events of the last movie would count for something.

It was Ike Perlmutter's pet project, nobody else really wanted it. Now that he's been booted there's no reason for anyone else to go through with it.

>why did they pull it back indefinitely? don't they have faith in it?
No. Feige never did, it was Perlmutter's pet project, and it was likely related to his feud with Fox over the X-Men. I'm pretty sure he's been behind the entire Inhumans push.

Face it, tiger incoming

THOR: RAGNAROK

Plot details

>Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is exiled from Asgard by his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), who has usurped the throne and joined forces with the Queen of the Underworld, Hela (Cate Blanchett), to unleash the Ragnarok upon the Nine Realms. He ends up on a faraway planet ruled by the Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum), where he is forced to become a gladiator and crosses paths with the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), who is become the champion of the area. The two then join forces to escape and stop Loki and Hela before it's too late.

Concept art description.

>Thor with a shaved head, tribal war paint and a new helmet in the arena.

>Hulk in gladiatorial armor in the arena, wielding a massive axe.

>Loki in regal wear in the Asgard throne room.

>Hela in her domain, wearing a comics-accurate "elaborate headpiece".

>The Grandmaster in his office. He is not blue-skinned and is described as "Jeff Goldblum in space".

>Several towering figures, believed to be the Eternals, standing protectively around an altar.

>Thor locked into battle with the "gigantic" Fenris Wolf.

>The fire demon Surtur unleashing an attack.

Let's be honest, the only important thing is that his dad comes from the stars.

Jason was a one-off in the old stories and J'Son is a huge piece of shit character I don't want anywhere near the movies. I wanted Starhawk and I'm still baffled Gunn didn't go for him but what can you do?

I actually believe that they havent canned the movie is just there waiting, it will happen but by that time is hard to predict how good or bad the x-men movies will be and how will the x-men movie that is going to release the same year as the inhuman movie do.

Fox still has enought material to make the x-men a good brand again.
>Deadpool 2
>x-force
>Gambit
>New mutants
>Wolverine 3
>Proper Phoneix saga

>Star-Lord shuts him up and refers to him as a raccoon, which Rocket takes offense to.
This better be bait, son

>Rocket firing at all sides, with Baby Groot on his shoulder.
This is funny though

Sure would be nice if they were closer to the DnA run

Yyyeah...

Is this pic from the Power Rangers remake

There are more comic readers that give a shit about the inhumans now than there were comic readers that give a shit about the Guardians before their movie came out.

BLACK PANTHER

Plot details

>King T'Challa (Chadwick Boseman) confronts two enemies who join forces to usurp the throne of Wakanda, forcing him to become the Black Panther once again. T'Challa enlists the aide of the Dora Milaje, Wakanda's guardians, and CIA, to prevent a war.

>Lupita Nyong'o is Nakia, a member of the Dora Milaje, and T'Challa's childhood friend and love interest.

>Danai Gurira as Okoye, the leader of the Dora Milaje and T'Challa's loyal advisor.

>Michael B. Jordan is Erik Kilmonger, T'Challa's nemesis, and the movie's main villain.

>Martin Freeman is government operative Everett Ross.

>While this is unconfirmed, the other enemy is speculated to be Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue.

Ego just seems bizarrely outlandish for the sake of being bizarrely outlandish

>>Tony Revolori

Did anyone else read that as Tony Ravioli?

I may be wrong but aren't all the comics that feature inhumans kind of struggling right now? The only time they seem to matter is when one appears in an event.

>Uncanny inhumans # 11 ( Mosaic first appereance ) = 29k
>all new inhumans #8 = 17k

I dont think so Tim

>Proper Phoneix saga
>proper any X-Men thing from Fox
Deadpool was an exception, man.

I'm not ashamed to admit that's a lot of attractive black people

Hype, ready to watch.

Looking forward to a trailer.

>webdesign class
If they don't make any sort of painfully obvious joke I'm going to be upset

CAPTAIN MARVEL

>Brie Larson is confirmed to be playing Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel.

Fuck off DnAfag, these characters existed for years before Giffen touched them. The movie versions are an amalgam of different traits from over the years. Blame Marvel for starting Cosmic movies with a recent event-heavy series.

You're lucky Star-Lord is even a funnyman cause Gunn says the old stories are his favorites.

Are you going to do a round-up of the Legion tv show ?

I still have faith in the new mutants movie because I want my demon illyana or my sexy readhead werewolf

They probably want something that keeps up the audience expectation of wacky sci-fi.

A big word-of-mouth marketing for GOTG was that it had a talking raccoon with a gun and Vin Diesel as a tree. They want all the casuals to go "Dude talking planets lmao" and give them free marketing.

Got to say, I'm very curious about the climax for Dr. Strange.

>Sup Forums now makes fun of people who likes DNA gotg

What happend ?

I have zero interest in a Carol Danvers movie unless it deals with space shit, does it deal with space shit?

How the fuck did hulk get on some random planet? Did he build a warp drive and shoot his own ass into the unknown?

This is not a synopsis, it's a round-up of information released at comic-con.

something something Ultron upgraded the quinjet before Hulk smashed

"Gambit" is dead.

Why wouldn't it? It's coming out around Avengers 3, and aside from GotG pretty much nothing else in MCU so far has taken advantage of space, really.

I hear you, but Gunn is apparently banking on him being a truly sympathetic character.

And really, is it any more outlandish than Peter getting his powers and mission from a magical sun god? Though even that was retconned some years later into being an ariguan trick, kek

Groot, Rocket, and Star-Lord were z-listers that Giffen pulled out of the asscrack of the marvel backlogs (in the case of Rocket because he created him), while Drax and Gamora were just a pair of Starlin pet characters. The DnA GotG run was a cult favorite but hardly a high seller, with its first major arc being in service of the Inhumans at that.

On the other hand, the Inhumans are a classic Kirby creation. 'Nuff said.

Or maybe they will do a saint row 4, where an alien appear in the ship before it crash and teleport the hulk to another planet.

Is not

>This better be bait, son

Why would it be? He didn't like being called a raccoon in the first movie either.

>Fleetwood Mac's "Break the Chain".
Damn, that's a good pick.

the first major arc of DnA GotG had nothing to do with the Inhumans

Yes. Feige said way back then that the center of the movie is Carol "choosing between Earth and Space".

Rocket was NEVER an agry, angsty type.
Giffen's Groot sounded about right; movie innocent Groot, not so much.
Movie Drax was passable. Sort of a mix with earlier Drax with the "alien race" excuse.
Gamora didn't feel remotely like the "deadlest woman in the galaxy".

And DnA Star-Lord wasn't as much a funnyman as the straight comedy guy.

Don't get me wrong, the first movie was fun, but if they're changing anything, better going for the best comics version than going further in a worse direction.

That it ? I tought you were going to include the Legion tv show in this.

>What happend ?
What happened is that fans of cosmic marvel were replaced by fans of "DnA's cosmic run and literally nothing else has ever mattered or will ever matter anywhere near as much as the absolute 11/10 masterpiece that is Abner Landing's genre-defining Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova."

Having an insufferable fanbase is a great way to sour people on the thing they're a fan of.

According to a recent leak, Loki was still butthurt about the "puny god" incident, and as soon as he usurped the throne, he used the Bifrost to take Banner away from Earth and dump him in Sakaar.

>Quill's mom was such a slut, she fucked an entire planet

What does that have to do with the Inhumans falling flat on their faces since their big push?

Because it could just as easily be about Mar-vell crash landing on Earth and Carol getting her powers and just staying on Earth and the threat coming to her.

>Gamora didn't feel remotely like the "deadlest woman in the galaxy".
Complete honesty here, since when has Gamora ever really lived up to that title?

Sup Forums and Sup Forums turns on everything they like.

once upon a time they even liked mark waid...

It is, bro. They removed it from the schedule and reshuffled the release dates so the X-movies being released in 2018 are "Deadpool 2" and "New Mutants".

>Peter is doing push-ups while eavesdropping on some girls playing "F, Marry, Girl" with superheroes. While the other girls don't like Spider-Man
What I thought of
youtube.com/watch?v=RCB_OcJcDYY

Might be interesting then. Would rather see a Nova movie, but I'll take it.

I read in newsrama that Kingber guy, who is the Fiege of FOX, demaned a re-writing of the Gambit script to be more comic like as the deadpool movie.

that's different, Mark Waid just got bad

Fair enough... off-panel, I guess. She DID earn the money for those sweet cybernetic enhancements somehow.

Thought he didn't even know what a raccoon was? Been a while, but Sup Forums wouldn't just let it slide if it were anything like bendis' shit run.

That run was the reason we even got a movie though.

>Because it could just as easily be about Mar-vell crash landing on Earth and Carol getting her powers and just staying on Earth and the threat coming to her.
Yeah buy my point was that going into space for most of the movie would make a lot of sense for Marvel as far as keeping the movies feeling fresh goes.

Of course it COULD easily be set on Earth an nothing more for any number of reasons. Although as far as the Mar-vell connection goes I'd point to

I realize not many people know about Mar-vell and I don't expect him to play a big role in the movie, just a dying mentor type figure.

I'm just hoping most of the movie takes place in Space.

So there saving the Inhumans up for once they get the Fantastic Four back.

Because that a great way to introduce the classic Inhumans.

Last I read his Daredevil run, it was pretty good. He did well with The Incredibles, if I recall.

But then I learned he was responsible for that one Fantastic Four run which crapped all over Doom...

We could only wish

I have a feeling that they will really play Ego through the film. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the film takes place on Ego and gives a very claustrophobic feeling.

I just want the planet to have a big dumb Kurt Russell face

If Spider-Man is fighting Shocker, I want this banter.
>>Why are you called Shocker? I mean, you don't exactly use electricity. You kinda make shockwaves and shake things. HEY! Why not be the Vibrat-
>>Cuts off by Shocker blasting him.

>That run was the reason we even got a movie though.
And that somehow excuses treating it as some holy grail of cosmic marvel at the expense of all the amazing cosmic comics that came before it? It doesn't remotely compare to the likes of Starlin's Warlock or Lim's Silver Surfer and despite what DnAfags think, Rich Rider existed for decades before Annihilation happened and there's more to his existence than a single run that spent its last 1/4th of the book wallowing in shit and meandering plotlines.

Don't get me wrong, they're certainly great books but the aren't this be-all end-all of cosmic Marvel that DnAfags insist they are.

>She DID earn the money for those sweet cybernetic enhancements somehow
I was under the impression that Thanos gave those to her.

People like them, because before they existed for awhile it felt like Cosmic Marvel didn't exist. It was dead in the water, kind of like Cosmic Marvel is now.

It's not part of Marvel Studios, but I'll do it for you.

LEGION

>The show will have 16 episodes and will air on the FX in early 2017.

>The show is a co-production between Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox, but is completely standalone from both the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the X-Men Movie Universe, although it is set in a world where mutants exist.

>Dan Stevens is David Haller, an introverted young man with mutant abilites that have been mistaken for schizophrenia, and is trying to salvage his fractured mind.

>Rachel Keller is Syd, a mysterious woman whom David falls in love with.

>Aubrey Plaza is Lenny, David's best friend and a restlessly upbeat recovering drug addict.

>Jeremie Harris is Ptonomy, one of David's former patients and a standoffish, sarcastic washed-up teen prodigy.

>Amber Midthunder is Kerry, one of David's fellow patients and a savant who has lead a sheltered life.

>Katie Aselton is Amy, David's older sister and caregiver.

>Jean Smart is Melanie, David's nurturing but demanding psychiatrist.

>Hamish Linklater is "The Interviewer", a mysterious government agent conducting routine interviews with David to measure the extent of his mutant powers.

youtube.com/watch?v=4SZ3rMMYBLY

>Another green-skin
Fuck

What happened? We told you to guys to read Giffen/DnA figurin it'd be a good introduction and you never bothered to read anything else. Now you go around acting like you know best for reading the most recent chapter of a very long saga.

Rocket was pretty angry under Giffen, man. In the mini it was for being imprisoned, in the movie it's cause his origin is more twisted. I don't see it as a problem when it gives the character more pathos.

Agreed more or less on Gamora, I felt she needed the most work. At least she was impatient and unsympathetic toward her teammates.

Quill was fine. Growing up in space will give you a different perspective than growing up in Earth orphanages desperate to get to space. And to quote Thanos

>"You appear superficial and glib, but oh undertand"

He used humor and charm to mask his issues, angsting over his mom rather than killing a planet. Good enough.

And I'm sorry but I refuse to believe anyone actually cares about Groot. His and Rocket's dynamic just got swapped, with Groot caring and Rocket not caring. Easier to start with I AM GROOT that way, which let me remind you, DnA was responsible for.

Gamora got her body mods from Thanos for being a fuck-up.

Yes, I agree.

Yay, I have a feeling 2017 will be a good x-men year.

>no British accent of any kind
otherwise looks pretty good

Is he Xavier's son in this or are they ignoring that?

>Marvel Cinematic Multiverse.
so X-men right?

>Giffen/DnA
>the most recent chapter
even if you want to ignore Bendis, there's still all the stuff Hickman did

Infinity Watch didn't end long before Annihilation. PAD's Captain Marvel too.

It probably will at some point.

Just reading the synopsis, it really sounds like Ego will be the place they spend most time on.

Oh I don't like that shocker casting. That guy is kind of a forgettable and u charismatic actor.
I Don even care that he's black. Just give me anyone of any race who is pathetic but still somehow charming in how pathetic they are. Its what made shocker one my fav spidey villain. He never gets respect but he's got the underdog quality you have to root for.

If they need a black dude put Brandon t jackson in there. He was good in tropic thunder and could def pull off the role.

Wouldnt that be a good season finale ?

But it will probably be as Gotham where we wont see batman until the last episode of the last season.

Unclear at this point.

>We told you to guys to read Giffen/DnA figurin it'd be a good introduction and you never bothered to read anything else
Exactly this.

Of Course, but Giffen/DnA is the chapter that everyone still refers to. While no longer strictly the most recent it's still quite recent in the grand scheme of things.

How hard is to pull a hair like this ?

>not wanting Mike Milligan in more movies/TV

Fargo S2 means we're going to be seeing a lot more Bokeem Woodbine in stuff for the next couple years.

probably pretty difficult

First I hear of this. I'm down for a sorta Planet Hulk adaptation

Don't worry, she's space Asian in the movie