Norwegian Pronunciation

REEEEEEEE, why is this language so hard to pronounce? Norwegian by far has some of the simplest grammar and vocabulary of any language I've studied, but the pronunciation is so fucking difficult for me that I'm on the verge of giving up.

Why the fuck are there so many different ways to pronounce "o?"

What determines whether or not the "g" is pronounced as "g," "j," or just left silent?

How do I know when I am supposed to make a "sh" sound? It seems you always do it with "sj," but then there are times when you do it with others and times when you don't. I can't tell if the people I'm listening to just have regional dialects or not.

Does anyone have a GOOD pronunciation guide on how to say this shit? I've downloaded and listened to countless of them, but half the time whenever it gets to a sound that is difficult for me to say, it just says "no equivalent in English" instead of giving tips on how to make the sound. It's infuriating.

Just keep on what you're doing, it will adjust automatically after a while when you speak with norwegians.

The dialect is something you will adjust to also and it will be part of the way you talk in the future. You can't learn to speak a dialect you need to be there and it will be part a of you

You just have to know. Listen to people talking and you will eventually learn.

I can usually pronounce stuff pretty well when I speak super slowly, but as soon as I try actually forming sentences, it seems like all of the sounds just run together and it sounds like a garbled mess. Like there's no way that anyone will be able to understand me when I'm speaking, I feel like.

I'm trying to find places online where I can speak with native Norwegians and stuff but it's kinda difficult. Like I said, there isn't a whole lot of learning materials out there for it, it seems.

>learning norwegian

Hmm I think I have seen something regarding language learning via skype.

Anyway if you know for certain which part of Norway you most likely will have to deal with people from in the future then you should focus on the way they speak there. Like for example get in contact with east norwegians if you plan on staying in Oslo

Sorry nobody wants to learn your disgusting mutated Portuguese, HUEHUEHUE.

>caring what a brazilian thinks

english is kinda the same when it comes to inconsistency between pronunciation and the written language

>does not care
>still replies

It's not just the inconsistency, it's the fact that the sounds themselves are very strange and foreign to me. Like I said, it seems like there's a hundred different ways to make an "o" sound, each one made in a slightly different part of your mouth or by shaping your lips slightly differently. And Norwegian kinda "bobs" along as you speak it. Not sure if that makes sense, but what I mean is that it seems every other syllable switches between being spoken in a low tone, followed by accenting it by raising your voice slightly. Idk, it's all just very strange for me. I'm going to stick with it and hopefully I'll start making some real progress and start speaking more naturally.

>but what I mean is that it seems every other syllable switches between being spoken in a low tone, followed by accenting it by raising your voice slightly.

Sounds weird to danes as well. We don't do it, and can't do it like the norwegians or swedes.

>Like I said, it seems like there's a hundred different ways to make an "o" sound

it's because of the dialects burger

This. Hardly anyone speaks it and most know english anyway.

No I don't just mean that. I mean "o," "u," "y," "o," and "å" seem to all make an O sound that's only slightly different.

You got him good, m8

I don't care. When I go to someone else's country I at least make an attempt to speak their language instead of assuming they'll cater to me. You're why no one likes American tourists, mutt.

Apparently Sup Forums doesn't let you us the letter for "oe"

>Norwegian by far has some of the simplest grammar and vocabulary of any language I've studied

I became interested. Is it really easy?

Yeah, I've been learning grammar and vocabulary much quicker than I have with any other language, even German. Like I said, it's really just the pronunciation that is a nightmare for me.

Whenever I hear a foreigner speak Swedish in cringe and just try to speak English with them instead. I much prefers tourists if they speak English.
I’m no Norwegian though, might be different.

lær trondersk

Well I would prefer to get good enough at it that I don't sound awful when I'm speaking it. I'm not going to Norway for about 3 years, I've got time to prepare.

>brazilian
>thinking

Rarely happens to me

good boy

I’m not saying you shouldn’t try. It’ll be fun learning and there’s a big reward in the end. Watch tv shows and find Norwegians to talk to try and learn The voice pattern.
That’s how you notice someone’s a foreigner (if they don’t speak the same melody and rythm).

ask on reddit r/norway if someone wants to skype with you so you can learn the language and dialect. they are more educated there than us here

As if there's any consistency in your spoken language.