Why do movies/TV shows keep pushing the idea that living with your parents over the age of 21 means you're a failure?

Why do movies/TV shows keep pushing the idea that living with your parents over the age of 21 means you're a failure?

Cos it is.

Fucking shamefull go on and live your own life.

it is

>tfw 27yo and living with parents
>normies who find this out care more about it than I do

why does it make normies so butthurt when they find out someone is living a cozy life in their parents basement?

If you are going to school or working a nice job and just trying to save money until you get married I suppose it is fine. If you parents are supportive of it. If you are NEET and/or don't help around the house with bills and shit you can go take it right up the ass.

It's because your capitalist overlords don't want you to keep too much of your hard earned money for yourself

My most successful friends still live with their parents

Someone's gotta pay the rent-seekers

You aren't living at home are you goyim?

Why would anyone want to live with their parents?

Get a real job

based puddy

>don't pay rent
>don't pay for heat, water, internet and food
>clothes are always washed because mommy does it
>all the money I earn with some minimum wage job stays in my pocket

Because most TV writers are in their 40s and 50s and come from a time when property was cheap and jobs were plentiful

>why do (((movies/TV shows))) keep pushing the idea that living with your parents and not paying (((rent))) means you're a failure?
The world may never know

>have actual job
>pay for all those things and still have higher pocket money than minimum wage
It's not even a stressful job either.

too much work to set it up, i'm already comfy, so why bother

it's not bad necessarily--it just means that those of us who have been living on their own since 18, working and putting ourselves through college while paying bills, .ect think less of you and generally feel superior (because we are). so as long as you are ok with the fact that you'll be seen as a shit sucking mooch than nothings wrong with it

They aren't butthurt, they pity you for being a man-child.

meant for

>live with my widower father
>we both feel like part of a family
>I move out
>we both become alcoholics and distance ourselves from the rest of our relatives

If he remarried I would leave no question, but we're both happier together so why NOT stay

>live better and more comfy than they do with less stress
>they act all butthurt while i'm 100% chill

Jealously mostly. They mask it as pity. Why should they have to work hard and pay lots of money to keep things while this guy gets to live comfortably with his family?!

I will say though is right. Otherwise it should be fine.

>this post

>feel when only had to work for 2 years then half of my family died of and left me with enough money to NEET life

Why are there never TV shows about people who live middle income lives of their families money? If they do a show about this it's always about someone stupidly rich. 100%of the house owners i know under 35 did it through inheritance, monetary so they can afford or actually inheriting the house. This will become even more the case in 10 years or so.

>think less of you and generally feel superior (because we are).

I'm 32, I have been on my own since I was 17, your an ass hole for thinking your better then anyone. I want to know what wonderland you live in. I live in good old USA and this place has become a fucking third world country for anyone under 50.

Food, housing, transportation, schooling all cost way too much and your lying out your ass if you got your job all by your self. Its not about the grades you make its the hands you shake.

Every time I see a post like yours I just see some kid talking out his ass about how great he's thinks he is going to be.

I also drive a nice car that I can only afford because I live with parents, can afford nice fitting brand clothes and expensive electronics like a good smartphone.
Always makes the normies rage when they find out I live with parents, I ain't even hiding that fact because I don't really care what they think.
People like this are not worth my time and its also a good test to see who is a genuine friend and who isn't

Because mainstream media is part of the capitalistic system that our modern civilization runs off of, and in order to perpetuate that system we need good hardworking rob- people to help keep that system strong and flourishing. If you spend your whole life living with your parents then you obviously can't contribute to our grand and glorious accumulation of wealth.

tldr capitalism is destroying everything

lucky bastard

>all these losers trying to justify being losers

I don't like paying rent but 545 CAD a month is a small price to pay for absolute freedom, but especially for the freedom it gives my parents. They have their house to themselves and no longer have a grown man living with them.

>pay 0 rent and live with parents
>house is big enough that I sometimes don't see my dad for days
>still got the freedom to do whatever I want

Hi, I'm 34 and I've been unemployed for over 7 years. I am better than you, he is better than you. You are worse than us because you blindly followed a system that is going to end up destroying the planet. You are the moron, you are the idiot. You are the one that ate up the bullshit and now you can't live with yourself unless you try to make others eat it too. Go fuck yourself kid. You don't mean anything, any neither do the rest of us. This whole thing is a joke and if you genuinely think you're better or more important than anyone because you contribute to a decaying and ultimately corrupt system then you are the biggest fucking dumbass on earth. Btw feel free to ignore this as you can't possibly let it sink in because it would collapse the entire foundation of your pathetic and meaningless life, faggot.

All that projection.

Also thanks for not reading what I wrote. Go ahead and ignore what I wrote as you rage like some underage newfag twat. Also blah blah reddit handwave meme.

>claim to be be 34
>act like you're 14 and just discovered nihilism

Not that user but STFU dude. Also 32 tho.

At least he's not a 34 year old goth kid.

Because shitty network television shows are aimed at boomers

this lol
>NEET around couple of months while also living with parents
>friends who wageslave get butthurt to no end

this though it's more about consuming (a new home means double the appliances furniture etc) than working

Like I'm the dude he responded to and I was going to argue but its clear he didn't read more then the one line in. I can't even understand what exactly he is fighting because half of what he said backs what I said.

t. dead before age 40 due to being a fat sexless NEET

I fucking hate it how almost everyone at uni is judgmental of the fact that I still live at home. Fuck you, you're not independent and you're still living off your parents' money

that's what I get for choosing a meme degree dominated by normies

>keep debating on moving out

>keep remembering im around almost no one that even gives a fuck if i live at home or not

what do?

>move out
>realize how lonely I am now
>move back in

if your parents don't charge you for living with them there's no point in moving out

I used to work with a 27 year old lady who still lives with her parents. She never seemed worried about it, but she's a super religious type who wouldn't move in with a bf until marriage.

I live at home, I dont actually plan on ever moving out either.
>took 2 years at community college, lived at home and drove
>actually moved out of my parents house for 2 years and finished bachelors at state college

Moved back into my parents house. Have jumped from a few jobs, but at this point it I dont even give a fuck.

Parents are like a few years from paying the mortgage off, lived there a long time.
Im 26, they didnt have me particularly young. They arent in the best of health. They dont have many friends our acquaintances they routinely see. Not a lot of hobbies. Most relatives dont live near by.

They enjoy my company. Im and fix the house and do all the labor work.
Knowing that its going to be my house whenever they pass, ive just started acting like its my house already doing whatever work I deem necessary .

At this point I dont see anything wrong with it.
You see people moving back into their parents houses in their 40s because they are in poor health, or you see the parents moving into their house because of poor health. Then when they die they sell off the property or whatever

Im just cutting out the middleman, im here just 10-15 years before their health really declines.
Luckily they own their house, I know a lot of people whos parents still rent.

that's pretty neat user

>actually know a guy who's a 1st-wave Millennial, who still buys into the pre-9/11 USA bullshit

>feverishly believed that he needed to go to college right out of high school because "that's just what you're supposed to do"

>is now in the process of getting himself a mortgage in dead-end suburbia because "that's just what you're supposed to do"

>coasted himself into acquiring himself a wife in his early 30's because "that's just what you're supposed to do"

>Will probably be having kids "on schedule" as well, because "that's what you're supposed to do"

I mean, by all accounts right now, he looks like a real winner (especially to his Boomer parents,) but as the years go on the reality is going to eventually set in that he is utterly stuck in that suburban life, where he contributes exactly nothing of worth outside of being a wage slave, not to mention the fact that if it all comes crashing down (as it so often does these days,) he'll be starting over from scratch again, in his 40's, his 50's, etc. and it will be such a free-fall he'll never recover.

Meanwhile, all those people who actually allowed themselves to live/make mistakes/learn lessons - AKA all those people he definitely started down his nose at all those years HE was doing everything "right," will ultimately win out.

The old sequence of "being an adult" is fucking bullshit. Outmoded, dead, fucking Boomer bullshit.

Stay at home unless your relationship is really toxic

>moving out just to rent a out
>literally paying someone elses mortgage

Stay at home and save up a decent chunk of change, then buy a house. With a big enough down payment, you can get a decent rate and length on your mortgage.

Just hang out at everyone elses house and youll be good. I knew people who couch surfed for a whole year or two.

Because several gnerations living in the same house is literally patriarchy

I was taking night classes with a woman who was living with her parents in her mid 30's

Shit man, I work part time at Starbucks and have nothing else and still afford my own apartment.

I wish I had. A friend of mine did, and saved up about 80 grand by the time he was 30 then decided to take out a small mortgage to buy a sweet house.

How much of your takehome pay goes to your apartment complex?

Thats what my friend is doing
He has lived at some since he got his degree, somehow found a decent job close enough to his parents house.
He puts away every single dime as he doesnt have any expensive hobbies

every advantage you have living with your parents is lost in the experience you get living on your own--which is priceless. learning how to problem solve and self-actualize to pursue your own dreams is probably the most important thing you can acquire in your early adulthood.

but keep making up excuses for why you failed at life. i guess that's all you have. just know that in the end it was really because you didn't have what it takes.

>nice car
>nice clothes
>nice electronics
>all things that become outdated within a year of their purchase
hahhaahahahah

>learning how to problem solve and self-actualize to pursue your own dreams is probably the most important thing you can acquire in your early adulthood.

This has nothing to do with where you lay your head down at night, and everything to do with how you spend your time when you are not sleeping.
Leeching off of someone =/= living in their property

>all things that become outdated within a year of their purchase
and next year I just buy them again, whats the problem here?

all the money I earn stays in my pocket and doesn't go to some homo landlord or electricity company jews.

Capitalism teaches society to hate free-loaders

I agree, living with my parents means I'll graduate from college debt free and a virgin.

lmao kid what's the point? you have enough money to pretend to be sort of wealthy? the 1% dress in hoodies and cargo shorts. what are you, one of those twitter posers that have a new pair of hot sneakers to show off every week? take lots of selfies with your BMW? no one cares about your stupid materialist fantasy. if you enjoy it--enjoy it. no one envies you, and no one certainly envies the massive insecurities you must have to compensate with material possessions.

Nobody envies a part time barista that lives in a crappy apartment

This. Older people still assume tons of high paying careers are being given out like candy. Instead of realizing things have changed tremendously. Its not the 80s and 90s anymore. Either you luck into a good position or you come from wealth and have connections. If neither neitherof those apply get ready to work 3 to 4 shit jobs to afford your crap car and apartment in the bad part of town. I think its funny how people think having a shit car working 24 7 and living in lil Mexico is applaud worthy but if you live at home past a certain age you re looked at as rapist pedo.

i'd have more respect for a part time barista living in a crappy apartment than your joke of an existence

it sounds like your parents treated you like a retard and always did everything for you desu

>Turn 21 move out
>all three of my younger brothers are still living at home
>Oldest one is now 34 and youngest is 26
I don't know where I went wrong setting an example.

A part time baristas respect has no bearing on my life. Seriously.
Having a crappy job and a crappy apartment where you are obviously not building towards anything good in your own life?
Why would I care what you think?

A large chunk of your takehome pay is being given to some faggot at the apartment complex. Instead of saving up and building towards a better life, you are going to continue to wallow and hurt your future.

Im sure all the people down at starbucks are proud of you though.

>his existence is a joke because he lives a comfortable life without caring about retarded social standards
lmao, how much of a pathetic cuck do you have to be to derive some sense of pride out of paying someone for living in the property they own?

He's got a point. I mean he's going to get laughed off this site and normies would look at him akin to a rapist. But he's right.

>its okay for rich parents to pay a kids way through college and throw money at them
>its not okay to live at home while you put yourself through college
>in fact you re kind of a loser

God I love this planet

>he doesn't know it is

>bc that's what you're supposed to do

Omg I thought I was the only one who had friends like this. I have a few friends living in absolute hell "bc dude I'm (insert age) I need to grow up" went and knocked up a who're and now they have kids they don't really want but pretend to like bc he's an adult now.

But they envy your fake rich Instagram photos?? Someone needs to gas this younger generation.

>saving and building toward a better life
>purchasing expensive clothes, cars, and electronics
l m a o "saving for a better life". you save your money to socially flex with meaningless gadgets and shitty designer clothing that people will point and laugh at 5 years from now. you are the guy with frosted tips and sharktooth necklace from 2000 who thought he was so cool.

fyi i'm a designer at a structural engineering firm at 22 w/ salary and health benefits. i'm 3/4's through my degree debt free. my parents kicked me out at 18 and i've been on my own.

keep flashing your money poser. you can think whatever you want about yourself but everyone else is laughing at you

>ITT: worthless leeches try to rationalize their incompetence

this guy had a nice car, clothes and gadgets too :-)

too disintegrate the idea of a nuclear family, tear you from your roots, and have mass media act as your foster family, turning you into a gay black native lesbian

>fyi i'm a designer at a structural engineering firm at 22 w/ salary and health benefits.

No
If you are going to pretend to be someone else, you should act least try to change your writing style.
You are the only person ITT who uses no punctuation or capitalization. Sorry

>have an actual job
>have the perks of living at home so I can use the saved money towards a downpayment for a home instead of losing it in pointless rent.

You're pathetic. You had to sustain yourself independently because your parents kicked you out and you turned things around and are doing well, good on you man.

But the fact that you're looking down on anyone who takes advantage of the fact that they can lead a comfortable life without spending money on rent makes you a huge cunt, and you even apply some dumb ideology to living by yourself, judging the world by your own subjective metric

It's not. It's actually been the tradition around the world throughout history. Moving out at the age of 18 is an anomaly that developed in the US in the 50s.

Oh yeah. The hypocrisy of those kids who think that their dorms are being paid by their part time student job while ignoring that mommy and daddy's support is bearing most of the weight before said kid gets slammed with loan payments.

you can spend your money any way you want i'm just saying that the people who are actually working hard towards meaningful goals are laughing at you. additionally, i'm ridiculing this kid who thinks that living at home and buying expensive items is something to be proud of.

>every advantage you have living with your parents is lost in the experience you get living on your own--which is priceless. learning how to problem solve and self-actualize to pursue your own dreams is probably the most important thing you can acquire in your early adulthood.

If you can't do this while living rent free in your parents' home, you're fucked anyway. Not to mention the fact that this learning process isn't only limited to your early 20's. I learned it in my teens and I've seen other people get there in their late 20's.

>live at home because parents arent assholes
>mfw this triggers normies

>who are actually working hard towards meaningful goals are laughing at you

Your hard work and goals get much harder when you have less money to work towards them

>people who are actually working hard towards meaningful goals are laughing at you
so living with your parents and saving up money is not working hard towards meaningful goals? paying some jewish landlord rent somehow makes you a better person?

you're honestly retarded, and you must be a very boring and shallow person if your sense of self worth is based on this simplistic shit

What a shit comeback.

The part time barista in your example is thinking short term and that's what you respect?

Learn some decent life planning instead of ignoring your joke of a life perspective.

People who live with their parents don't have to pay a significant portion of their wages towards rent and the money you spend on bills are split between multiple people. This means that the property and utility jews make less money from you. Also living with your parents means you probably won't have casual sex with strangers, meaning you can't embrace degeneracy like the jews want you to.

Buying your own property is recommended if you're able to. Living on your own also forces you to develop basic skills that every self-respecting human should have (cleaning/washing up after yourself, cooking, money management, etc.). But if you're just going to rent a property and your parents live nearby, you may as well just live with them. Doing so allows you to save money, which can go towards your own property.

> move out of moms house
> have to pay rent 50% of my wageslave money
> spend the other 35% on utilities and transportation
> have to live in flat mates
> have to deal with their shit all the time, them having mates over, waiting for shower, waiting for toilet, not being able to make dinner while they are having someone over in the living room
> have to fucking clean everything after yourself, stove, dishes, mop floor, vacum clean stairs etc
> can't talk properly in middle of the night on discord with the boys because I will wake up flatmates
Never fucking again, worst 2 years of my fucking life, now I collect all the dough and just pay my moms for the internet and pocket everything else

>doesn't want to pay some jewish landlord
>instead pays huge car manufacturing company for a new whip to flex on social media with
just keep digging your hole man

i respect people that support themselves and don't mooch off of their parents. a barista making ends meet on their own is inherently more mature and composed than some moron spending all his money he "'"""saved"""" on social media currency

btfo

I would respect you more if you were to move out again

I'm not even that user you retard. Damn, that whole car thing really made you butthurt didn't it?

i'm using him as an example. obviously i don't know the details of your life. jesus, keep up. maybe you guys should continue to live at home you can barely track with an argument on the internet

>people who are actually working hard towards meaningful goals

Most people I know that are "doing life correctly" never "worked hard towards meaningful goals." All they did was play follow the leader and treat their lives like color-by-numbers. They laugh at people that don't do it because "why not? it's so easy.are you retarded?" Some of us didn't want life to be fucking easy and predictable. Some of us actually want/wanted to carve out another way. Some of us aren't so deathly afraid of failure that we do it even if it looks like the normie rubes are currently kicking our asses in life. Just because you're "winning" today doesn't mean you won't be in utter free-fall tomorrow, and most normalfags won't be able to handle it when it happens because they'll be middle-aged by then and still not accustomed to failure.

I'll grant you that you are probably more than that, but buddy you are quite literally the exception that proves the rule. Structural engineering is actually something that contributes to society and infrastructure, but most people "like you" are simply nameless faceless wage slaves desperately climbing some corporate or communal ladder for scant returns, and all to BARELY finance their "normal lives" of wives, children, houses, etc. How the fuck is putting yourself in that predicament, in the state of the present day, a "meaningful goal"? It's fucking house of cards.

Nobody here needs or wants your respect.

>lmao kid what's the point?
having a higher living standard than some wagecuck poorfaggot who gives away all his cash to some landlord homo.

I'm 32. I'm getting a phd and was engaged to a fellow phd student. We lived happily together.

Then, one day, she said she didn't want to be together anymore. Since we lived in a "college town", I couldn't really afford the insanely high rents on a semi-decent place on my own. So I moved back home.

I graduate this year, though, so I'll be out of their hair soon. I've only been living here two months.

Life happens. If you have to move back in with your parents, it's because something shitty might have happened to you. No shame in it as long as you take the time to regroup and reorganize.

your mom respected my dick last night kid. we made you a brother.

>higher living standard
>lives with parents
do you hear yourself?