Is The Rifleman the greatest western show ever created?

Is The Rifleman the greatest western show ever created?

Western tv was hokey trash for Boomers before Deadwood

>tfw you have the Amon goeth physique

*tips fedora*

sad, lad.

It's the only one I've seen but I'll say yes.

The pinnacle of the genre would be Unforgiven, but it is true that without the spaghetti westerns, the themes in Unforgiven wouldn't really have a place. And of course, without the classics, John Ford and John Wayne, the spaghetti westerns wouldn't have worked, so it took the whole evolutionary development of the genre, with lots of remarkable films, to build up the context to make Unforgiven possible.

>discussing film in Sup Forums

My wife's son is reading over my shoulder, he says you sound gay.

Say that to my face and not online fucker

I currently have a bunch of westerns on my watch list and I plan on watching Unforgiven last. I'll watch The Shootist right before it seeing as how it was John Wayne's last role. So far I've watched The Revenant, The Great Silence, The Searchers, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. All were very good for their own reasons.

The Searchers was absolutely brilliant and has become one of my favorite films. I plan on stringing together a bunch of John Ford westerns now.

Both Gunsmoke and Bonanza were better.
>tfw no more western shows with good family values, no cussing or sex, where men are men, women are ladies, and good always beat evil
We truly live in a decadent, degenerate timeline.

>The pinnacle of the genre would be Unforgiven
please kys
The genre peaked with John Ford. Anything Spaghetti and beyond is utter postmodern trash.

Gunsmoke is way better, it has Miss Kitty

I prefer Rawhide but The Rifleman was great as well.

Ford is underrated but Once Upon A Time in the West and TGTBTU are still the best.

>Ford is underrated
No, Ford is consistently ranked as one of the best directors of all time, which he is. Leone is Tarantino-tier. Fast food, flashy colors, no substance, no grace.

I'm not a huge fan of the John Wayne westerns, or really most of the "classic" westerns. Exceptions that I did like would be the Searchers and the John Wayne version of True Grit, but I think those are transitioning away from "classic" westerns to "modern" westerns.

I prefer the westerns that have a more nuanced and realistic take on the characters. Shades of gray morality, highlighting the thin margin between survival and death at the edge of civilization, no true "hero" or "villain", and a hard look at the consequences of the violence upon the characters.

What makes the western genre captivating to me is that the frontier at that time was a refuge for the broken, bitter, scarred remnants of the civil war. Basically a bunch of murderers with PTSD were all driven out of civilization and out onto the frontier at the same time. That's why I think the genre is so unique, that hasn't happened anywhere else in history.

Some people were redeemed, some people destroyed themselves, others were just victims. There's no other genre where you can have so many fucked up, violent, extreme personalities all plausibly collected together.

incorrect. and rude.

spaghetti is modern, unforgiven is postmodern, there's a distinction. you don't have to like them, but please educate yourself.

>spaghetti is modern, unforgiven is postmodern, there's a distinction.
please enlighten me

Is The Loner any good? Did based Serling do it again?

>There's no other genre
What is Jidaigeki, Alex?

I just started watching the rifleman on amazon im on season 2 it a great ahow definitely up there with the best, im more a fan of laramie but the rifleman is becoming a favorite definitely loved the 2 episodes with dennis hopper

I understand you want to look like a well-read and intelligent cinema enthusiast but we're talking about television not film.

>There's no other genre where you can have so many fucked up, violent, extreme personalities all plausibly collected together.

Well, the entire genre of war cinema disagrees

>There's no other genre where you can have so many fucked up, violent, extreme personalities all plausibly collected together.

fucking retard

Imagine being this stupid and pseud at the same time.

Imagine liking the Tarantino of the 60es

How the fuck has no one mentioned Maverick, old school black and white with James Garner.

The high chaparral the virginian laramie laredo bonanaza wagon train rawhide gunsmoke death valley days. They are all fantastic deadwood sucks

Dont you ever disrespect john ford like that by comparing him to that nigger loving unoriginal hack

Is is pretty good.

>Dont you ever disrespect john ford like that by comparing him to that nigger loving unoriginal hack
I was referring to Leone you dense idiot
I said that John Ford was the greatest western filmmaker

Peckinpah made a TV show called the westerner which was considered high brow but got canceled due to low ratings

unforgiven is deconstructing the modern westerns. Eastwood's (and sort of Freeman's) character are extrapolations on what becomes of the man with no name if he survives all the shit in those spaghetti westerns. What happens to his psyche, his life, those around him.

"deserve's got nothing to do with it" is like a meta-comment on all those gritty westerns were the protagonist is a vicious bastard almost as much as the antagonist, he's just the audience's POV and typically the victor.

Unforgiven wouldn't make sense without the whole body of modern westerns for it to take apart. Moreover, the characters with the most screen time are the whores, the kid, the journalist. Basically victims/witnesses who's lives are steered by the memory/consequences of all these violent men who came before them, leaving their mark.

I think Unforgiven can be called "postmodern" because it is such a significant step past those "modern" westerns, and also because it's trying to make commentary on the genre itself.

some other examples would be Coward Robert Ford and (while not quite a western) No Country For Old Men (think about Tommy Lee Jones' monologues about his father and his dreams, and what Antone Chigur symbolizes)

>Well, the entire genre of war cinema disagrees
I concede Samurai films, not sure about ganster films, have to think on that.

But I think war is a different context. In war films, the war is what's insane, and the characters are trying to cope and (usually) hold onto their humanity. In a western, their violence and extremity is pretty much baked in from the time the curtain rises. Maybe you find out why, maybe not, but that's usually not the point, the point is where do they go now. I see that as different than war movies.

I have the (movie) Amon Goeth physique except my stomach hangs over my pants just slightly more when I sit like that. More of a pot.
The real Goeth looked worse than I do even.

What a fucking faggot.

Dont you ever disrespect Sergio leone by comparing him to that nigger loving unoriginal hack, leone created some of the greatest western ever made

Prove me wrong you old fuck. Not a single western tv show was written as anything other than generic completely unrealistic 1950's good golly Andy Griffith with a gun and shitty overactors. Literally the capeshit of it's time.

>nigger loving unoriginal hack
What did he mean by this?

Lonesome Dove

>ctrl+f
>django
>no results
embarrassing

Because it is italo trash. Watch some real films.

django was actually garbage. worst western i ever had to sit through. people said it was really good. people lied.

probably seen 10x the amount you have. only newfags to the genre think italian westerns are bad. you do realize the dollars films are spaghetti, right?

what the fuck. did the dub just demolish it or something? or do you guys have vaginas?

unless they said some crazy important shit in italian, it wouldve still been garbage. its fucking terrible. and i dont mean terrible as in, "he he im gonna say this good movie is bad" terrible. i mean actually, legitimately, terrible. i dont know what you see in it because its just a bad movie, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Yeah and they are also trash. Get some taste. God damn, am I surrounded by shit for brains plebs?

name three good westerns. just want to see what kind of little girls I'm talking to.

>not only are you children, you are also girls
gee thanks. heres my list of films:
1. fuck
2. you
3. nigga

are you satisfied with my choices? cause i am

Why? I will just name a few, and you will call them shit. Lets save our time here.

just as I thought. if you had any confidence in your opinions you'd share them. watch more movies, watch them in their original languages, and pay attention when watching them.

Django is a classic the people hating on it are the ones who need to be spoon fed everything.
>the major has to die and i have to be the one who kills him

Okay buddy, you win. You presented such outstanding arguments that you changed my mind. Now go home and tell your mum, maybe she will even let you watch one of your childrens flicks before you go to bed.

The beat italian westerns are the dollars trilogy , pnce upon a time in the west, the big gundown, death rides a horse, day of anger, a pistol for ringo, the return of ringo, the mercenary, companeros, the great silence, a bullet for the general, django, navajo joe, the hills run red, seven guns for the mcgregors, the sartana saga starring gianni garko, sabata, the grand duel, keoma, the dirty outlaws, the hell benders

You are just a wannabe tough guy with nothing but snarky remakes john wayne would be disappointed in you

yeah, movies with ambiguous protags are pure sex. not a lot of those with older westerns.

>84888315
not even giving that sad damage control a (you)

reminded me of a few I've meant to watch for a long time, thanks.

I literally own a book about a italian westerns maybe i should let you borrow it so you can get your head out of your ass there roy rogers wannabe

You're welcome

>d-don't make me get my book!!
wuss.

In my opinion the best american westerns ive seen are shane, hondo, johnny guitar, the seachers, the original true grit, big jake, the shootist, mclintock, rio bravo, el dorado, the wild bunch, the professionals, butch cassidy and the Sundance kid, the man who shot liberty vallance, Shenandoah, high plains drifter, pale rider, the outlaw josey wales,

favorite episodes anyone?
my personal one is where Lucas is stranded out in the desert, no gun, no shirt, & ends up outsniping the jackass that stole his rifle with nothing more than a pistol & some scrap wood that he fashioned into a pseudo stock

You're the kinda pussy Lucas mcain fucks up on every episode of the rifleman you remind me of the sniveling reporter who gets blasted in season 2

I don't really like westerns but I've always heard this show was fantastic.

Should I try it?

That was a good episode, i really enjoyed the episode where the apaches kidnap mark the way he's yelling at the apache when he's strangling him, you took my boy! Gave me chills

You should the episode are about 25 minutes long compared to shows like laramie or death valley days where an episode runs for an hour

I used to watch it every Sat or Sun morning (I forget why channel airs it; TBS?), but for the sheer homoeroticism. Same way we view Top Gun now.