Bavaria

What is about this part of German that makes them stand out?
It's like there's Germans and then there's Bavarians.

They have a strong identity and are culturally closer to Austria than northern Germany.

They're big guys, they are homogenous and they are kinda the quintessential representation of Süddeutschland, even more than Austria IMO.
Bawü isn't as popular probably because they were more influenced by Western Europe and are less folkloristic, may be saying bullshit though.

Also pic related the Austrian-Prussian war. If you exclude Saxony and Hannover it's a pretty accurate depiction of the North-South rivalry, which is mostly unheard of abroad but it's historical way more important than the more recent West vs East.

they look like italians

>closer to austria than northern germany
is this the power of american education
holy shit you're fucking stupid

he's right though

Wasn't Austria literally settled by Bavarians?

soon?

It's always fun to see an ignorant prick insulting smugly someone who said something right and obvious.

They were occupied by Americans after WW2 (still are) and Americans are the ones who determine the popular image of people in the world (see coward Frenchmen etc). It also helps that Bavarians are historically very submissive, they are known to bow down to all foreign invaders without fighting back and sort of exemply the way other people would like Germans to be, that is some fat dude in Lederhosen drinking beer and being non-threatening and a bit dumb. As opposed to the evil Prussian militarist who eats children stereotype (these are the only two German stereotypes that managed to enter the popular imagination).

Austrians literally speak a Bavarian dialect and both Salzburg and Tirol were once part of Bavaria. (Salzburg for notably more time)

Everyone who buys Bavarian products shall be cursed and his children teeth and hands shall rot

My dad lived in Bavaria in the 70's, he said that they're more chilled out than the G*rms up north

>It also helps that Bavarians are historically very submissive,
They aren't submissive - they are stinky Catholics and therefore non German. If they are invaded by all kind of trash, it's like a liberation for them.

>they are stinky Catholics and therefore non German
Schlechtes meme.

Notice the Amrimutt/Vatican line.

Doesn't explain why Bawü is mostly unheard of

because americans can't handle the swabian autism

My next door neighbor is unironically from there.

It's a pretty important Bundesland actually, it isn't that strange. Its population is almost on par with Bavaria.

>Doesn't explain why Bawü is mostly unheard of
Actually it does. Because that are less stinky Catholics and therefore the Vatican is less ready to back their ass.

Sud Tirolo?

>Vatican holds any real power in the world on current years
Paranoia

I HATE THEM
but they are still better than filthy Pr*ssians

Nope, just a Roman Germanboo. I'm moving to Hamburg for a while though.

Who are the Prussians nowadays anyway? The Brandenburgers? The Easterners? All the Northerners?

>No elsass
>No aosta
Never gonna make it without ALL Alemannians

De fugging Ronnies
So GDR with el goblino Berlino

Everything north of the Main

Not him but did you know that the etymology of "Prussia" comes from a baltic tribe and nlt a germanic one
I fail to understand this attachment to the name 2bqh

>Who are the Prussians nowadays anyway?
Prussia was a state and not an ethnicity, so they died with their state. Most of the modern German east was never really Prussian, the Poles got all their land. Brandenburg was the core of Prussia but I wouldn't call them Prussian. It just doesn't work that way. Imagine if the US collapsed into tiny states and you'd ask about what happened to the Americans.

I know that’s why I call them that.

Prussia eventually became a German-majority province, so that etymology doesn't really apply anymore. I remember reading somewhere that the Hohenzollern opted for "Königreich Preußen" instead of just Brandeburg because they were allowed to annex provinces of the HRE this way, since Prussia wasn't de jure part of the HRE, not sure though.

I know that, but I often see germans referring to some unidentified group of germans as "prussian", but I do not understand what they mean with that. I would usually associate that with Brandenburg, but that seems to restrictive.

The Hohenzollerns annexed Prussia to found another Kingdom in the HRE next to the Bohemians.

t. slav rape babby

It's pretty simple. The Teutonic Order founded their own state in the Baltics. At some point they elected a nobleman of the house of Hohenzollern as their grand master. That guy turned it from a catholic order-state into a protestant hereditary fief. At some point his line died out and the lands passed to another line of the house of Hohenzollern, who ruled over Brandenburg. so they kinda merged these domains into Brandenburg-Prussia. Brandenburg was part of the HRE, so they were electors and subordinate to the emperor. Bit Prussia was originally subordinate to the king of Poland and not part of the HRE. At some point Prussia became independent so the electors of Brandenburg wanted to become kings, because king > elector. Because Prussia wasn't part of the HRE, they used that name for their new domain. So what really was greater Brandenburg vame to be named Prussia, sort of a legal trick.

>lalalala im pretend im stuuuupid
Here, I have a tasty snack for you Catholicu/ck

t. eternal Protestant
Thank you for allowing France, Osmans and Sweden into German territories

We are just as we are.
And we are succesful with this while being kind and nice people that know how to value the beauty of the world.

This upsets N*rthern G*rmans. They beleve you have to suffer through life in a deep hate towards yourself for being an eternal loser.

But Saxons are based!

This
Eternal W*stfalians and Pr*ssians will be destroyed.
Pls gib back Schwaben.

southern germans call everyone up north prussian even though it doesn't really apply. prussia was the most modern but also sort of most encroaching state, they were known for heavy censorship and state control but also social security, promoting compulsory general education and the special relationship between the king, the state, the church and the people. the rest of germany was way more oldschool in comparison, especially in the south. that's also kind of evident in the later hohenzollern-habsburg struggle over germany. so in the south the prussian is basically the typically overbearing, overly serious german.

>Westfalian
Doesn't really add anything to the discussion, but I find triggering that there is Westfalen and no Ostfalen. (Also Saxony should be called Upper Saxony)

anyone here any opinions on northhesse?

Ostfalen is Niedersachsen nao

>this mad
lmao at sh*tal*ans

Taci, bestia.

Why is an Italian beating an American?

>dumb shart sharts
more new at 10

There should be more people like you user, good posts.

Nice try Catholicu/ck.

Reminder: The Catholic shits and the pope were enabling and pushing for open borders for mass migration of Muslims from Africa.
>muh bridges, nigger foots and shiiiiet

You mean the new (((pope))) is.
Meanwhile in Protestant territory...

>jew )))))(()((()())jew jew jew jew jew jew)()()())))))))()((((((
>implying protestants aren't an offspring of the same Catholic garbage

>posting homofaggotry
WTF WOW NORTH GERMANY BTFO

What a cringe fest.

I think it's interesting. The Germans are usually quite insular, and you almost never actually see them discussing their culture/politics in English.

t. angry jew

Bavarians have a particular strong identity because they're a big Bundesland and beer memes. Reality is all parts of Germany are different but Bavarian identity more solidly correlates to the Bundesland rather than a vague area of Germany.

For example Bavaria sill has pretty much the same borders as 200 years ago, while states like Nordrhein-Westfalen and Niedersachsen aren't historical areas, they were just made up more recently and as such don't really have a unified regional identity.