Can someone explain the plot of this show to me?

Can someone explain the plot of this show to me?

All I remember is that this girl had to fight monsters that only she and her grandma could see (and some other characters), but she wasn't allowed to tell anybody and the grandma was a huge bitch about it. Also she wasn't allowed to leave her home town, but the monsters she has to fight can leave no problem.

Is the show actually good? I know it has a talking dog so it's not completely terrible.

I liked it better then American Dragon. Better writing and there wasn't any cringy forced attempts at trying to sound urban and hip

I've never seen that show either, but judging by the images a google search gave me, it looks like the kind of show that wants to be hip.

it's one of those early attempts at 'can we make a legit action show without an action show budget?'
the answer was no
so basically it ended up being something akin to a kim possible or a star vs, but without enough of the charm to enjoy it as a comedy

but yeah significantly better than the likes of jake long or randy cunningham or shit like that
i think a LOT of animators make it big in LA, get their shot, wanting to make their own fighting show, and you just can't. you can't for like sixty reasons. nevermind every red-blooded kid in america wants to watch fighting.

This show had a LOT of problems.
A girl with magical powers that she barely used ,
most of the time she use punches and kicks .
Her little brother was a little annoying jerk.
no good villain , just some random not really danger but kinda funny ones .
On the bright side , it had a great character design , and the art direction was very good.

The depressing part is that

She can't leave the city.

Yet another show with an asian protagonist I didn't get to see enough of.

Like that show about the three CHinese kids who work for a family Chinese business.

I only saw it on cable at my college, though.

But if she is the only one who can see and interact with the monsters, how can the monsters cause problems for everyday citizens. What harm could they possibly do, and couldn't the military just blow the monsters to pieces?

And what if she just jumped on this monsters back in this picture? Would everyone else think she is flying?

What if she was in a car that was leaving the city, would she be crushed to death?

I think that came up a couple times.

I've only seen a couple episodes but I remember her getting flung around and people wondering why she was acting weird.

She was incredible Flat .
and it was weird to think she was one year younger than Mabel ,
she said in one episode she was eleven.

>Can someone explain the plot of this show to me?
In a world, full of monsters and demons, June is the only one who can see them.
In this world full of problems, June's the one who has got to resolve them.
Got to resolve theeeeeeem GO!

But why? What would happen in that world if she just stopped caring and ignored all the stuff.

Good thing we have fanart.

Shit would fall out of balance.

She's basically a cop for the spirit world. They can't hurt humans in anything but roundabout ways, but they sure as hell can hurt each other.

So its still a responsibility.

The main problem with the show was that the supernatural designs were pretty dull and uninteresting to look at, the little brother was annoying, and they resorted to body humor a bit too much for an action girl cartoon.

>Can someone explain the plot of this show to me?
IN A WORLD FULL OF MONSTERS AND DEMONS
JUNE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT SEES THEM
WHEN EVIL BEASTS START THEIR PLOTTING AND SCHEMING
SHE KICKS BUTT AND SENDS THEM HOME SCREAMING

>cringy forced attempts at trying to sound urban and hip
That shit was so bad in AD that it was the sole reason I refused to watch it.

I remember playing GTA: San Andreas once when the show came on. Now I can separate one from the other for some reason.

>can't separate

Juniper is the Tei Wan Zee how the fuck do you spell that? She is basically a guardian of Orchid Bay(holy shit I remember the place where she lives) and fights monsters that threaten it and shit and these monsters are both invisible and inaudible meaning to other people she appears to be batshit crazy. She has all sorts of magic powers and shit, but for some reason she cant leave Orchid Bay.

Chinese kid inherits legacy to be the protector of the peace in the paranormal community of her area...which she can never leave until she passes the mantle on to a female descendant. She is joined by her annoying, boderline idiot kud brother and a talking dog. Adventure ensues. Easter Bunny was teh hot.

Uh...ASIAN. Secondary sexual traits (like boobs and hips, or muscle definition in males) aren't reall expressed too dramatically compared to other races, as asians tend to physically look unisex unless one of their parents is ANYTHING else.

>Now I can't separate one from the other for some reason.
I know how it is. I used to watch Sitting Ducks a lot while playing Tibia and now I can never think of them separately.

It was about big yellow feet

well why can't she tell anyone about the monsters

You guys pretty much laid out all the reasons why no one gave a damn about this show when it was on the air

Heck the whole can't leave the city thing(which is a retarded limitation for a mystical hero), pretty much guaranteed that no one would care about it after it died either, makes it too limited for the sort of things most fanart or fanfiction would want to do(can't really do any satisfying crossovers for one thing, as Juniper's home city is incredibly bland and you can't take her somewhere more interesting, plus her ability to be involved in any plot would be incredibly limited since she can't leave)

Some girl named after berries beats up monsters and goes to school. There was also this cute goth girl in the show that didn't show up enough.

she has the durability to get punched by a several ton monster and get right back up. the car will just get split in half

Fuck off, Pan.

>most of the time she use punches and kicks .
Her incredible martial skills were part of her magical abilities, though.

You're goddamn right.

>implying I walk around in public with my homemade Invader Zim fanart plastered all over my shirts, which happen to be all black and purple

Unfortunately the show didn't have anywhere near a good enough budget for her using primarily martial arts to look anything but bland and boring

This show was the beginning of the end for good Cartoon Network, same with Miguzi.

The monsters could interact with things, so they could steal stuff easily. There were also plenty who could interact with people and either just did normal stuff like selling items, and others were malicious.

I think the reason she never really used her magic is she never bothered properly training in it. I think she spent most of her time trying to figure out how not to be the Te Xuan Ze to really care. It was supposed to pass form mother to daughter, but June's mother couldn't inherit it so her grandmother held the role for her entire life until June took over. During that the younger brother held the power for a few seconds and ended up being able to see and interact with the monsters as well.

The grandmother tried to train June in her abilities and duties, but June is a kid, she wants to be a kid not a mystical protector. There were a few times when she cared more about her duty, but mostly she wanted nothing to do with it.

Though I am now wondering if there were other guardians for other places. I know that Orchid Bay was a ley-line or crossover point for the two worlds which is why it needs to have a guardian.

Honestly considering how much Juniper overall seems to hate being the Guardian, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up committing suicide within a couple years of where the show ended, cause there's no way being forced to do a job you hate with literally nothing in the way of compensation is good for one's mental health(either that or Juniper is going to get pregnant very young and as repeatedly as necessary to get a daughter so she can just leave)

Basically no matter how you look at it, Juniper does not have a happy future ahead of her

Yeah, the biggest problem I'd say is the show lacked an overarching villain.

It had that secret organization of humans who wanted to destroy all magic, and that witch (all of twice maybe), and some other somewhat re-occurring bad guys, but none of them brought that villain charm that really makes a show feel grand or that it's going somewhere.

The show ended with her bring free of the city.

They didn't air the last 5 episodes on TV, which were plot heavy I guess.

Yeah for camp sherwood they basicly said woo this tree has a hole in the forcefield i can go off to have sexy adventures

>cute goth
Thats an oxymoron

Maybe she should stand by the border of town and charge people 1$ to try and push her out of town, if they do manage to push her out of town (which they won't) they win 100$. Eventually the whole town will be paying her money to try and push her past an invisible wall that only effects her,

What I hated more about this show was tgat EVERY villain or antagonist was a jobber, they were never a challenge for her and she never gets hurt.

Every character that is introduced as a strong challenge is beating up easily.

whoa, are they available anywhere?

Well she is a cartoon child there not going to slap curves on her.

Watchcartoononline has all the episodes.

I'm not 100% sure if the last episodes aired or not, but I do remember the last episode they showed before the show seemed to drop off the face of the network was the one where her grandma was turned into a teenager, and that is the 6th to last episode.

They could've aired the final 5, but with a stupid schedule for all I know.

I read the description for the last 5 episodes on wikipedia, and one of the last 5 episodes I remember seeing on TV.

I remember liking Juniper and her grandmother a lot but hating all of the supporting cast for being either bland or bitches.

Every kid on this was an asshole to their family, i know the "teenagers treat their parents badly" is a recurring thing on cartoons but this cartoon took it really far, made me really mad

Best character, juniper keeping her secret to her made her not have any significant character development

It's funny, because the same thing happened to me except for Jake Long rather than Juniper Lee.

Sadly this happens in a lot of cartoons.
Villains are barely competent and the hero stops them with ease.

>Is the show actually good?

Two words:

Lara.

Jill.

Miller.

I hear that voice and I'm diamonds.

She had a smoking hot cousin in one episode.

this show sure loved big feet

What was the deal with this and American Dragon? Was it another Antz situation or legit just a coincidence?

Except when she fought that one old Te Xuan Ze. She ended up winning in the end but at least it was a proper fight for a while

>someone saved the edit I made eons ago.

also Ray Ray sucked, why the hell did they think adding the cliche annoying little brother (and giving him Kath Soucie's annoying little boy voice) was a good idea?

Juniper Lee was first pitched to Disney and rejected. Then Disney greenlit American Dragon.

apparently they both came out around the same time, just a few months apart. Both creators acknowledged the similarities as coincidence.

How was this show like? I've never watched it, I'm not even sure if it was aired in my country, but I used to love the video game based upon it as a kid.

I never put two and two together back in the day, probably because both main characters are almost foils for each other.

>girl who is a little snarky and defiant, but is decently spoken and wants to live a normal life
>"Haaah, being a dragon is tight!"

>Read Paranatural
>Shamans/Psychics can't leave the city or they'll be crushed by a spiritual force field
>Spirits can't come in or out on their own accords but there are loop holes
>Juniper Lee could literally never do shit and the monsters could come and go whenever they pleased.
>CN and Disney never did a power hour Asian team up of American Dragon x Juniper Lee.
>Show pushed the Asian Girl/BBC meme
>That ZONE flash edit where she gets bumped the semi-main villain who was a military general that could see the monsters thanks to an amulet.
Show was a fucking mess.

>got a master from yale
>has to work as a clown

I'm still amezed over the fact Juniper Lee and Jake long aired at the same time

But who won the asian-american tv-show MC war?

Did her Grandma just get age-regressed?

>"Take my advice cup cake marry into a species that allows you to eat your young"

well that was dark

agreed my Sup Forumsmrade of exceptional taste

More please

That bothered me about Snips and Snails from Personally-owned Diminutive Equine. They looked like background elf characters from Jake Long.

Say what you will about this show, but Junioer's band, The Short Angry Freuds, did a rockin cover of Body Electric...and Ray-ray nearly fucked it up for me with stupid armpit farts.

Of the two Asian-themed shows, I thought that American Dragon was better, as cringeworthy as it was. It felt like the cast was better developed and it had a kind of arc with Rose sacrificing herself and going back to her dragon hunting clan to keep Jake safe.

Why is that compared to whites or blacks?

my guess is that it likely came about due to a dietary related thing

Juniper being forced to stay in one place was a nail in the coffin for the series

I have some more

I don't fucking care make me an Octopus.

>Implying that Jake did not also want to live a normal life

Dude, there was tons of times through out the series were Jake resented/hated being the American Dragon since he kept on having to miss out on normal teenage shit, and a proper relationship with Rose.

A creature had absorbed a large part of her magical power, which also regressed her age for some reason.

If she's old, shouldn't she be weak and near-death?

Well, she old, but not 100s of years old, it should have just left her a regular 60 year olf woman with no spiritual awareness. But we got loli Jasmine so fuck logic.

I have the feeling the creator of Juniper Lee had as many fetishes as the Jake Long guy

Except for some Vietnamese! I used to work at a nail salon and my coworkers definitely had boobs

Despite the interesting premise the show was flawed, hence the lack of fanfare or nostalgia for it. As some anons have mentioned, the budgetary limitations hampered the fight scenes but I'd posit there was a directorial element to the mediocrity of the action scenes as well. You rarely ever saw interesting framing or camera angles and she didn't use her powers in interesting ways or interact with the environment in interesting ways either. Jackie Chan Adventures was another martial arts action-comedy cartoon with an Asian lead but the action scenes are among the best you'll find in Western cartoons. They constantly provided environment obstacles for Jackie to fight against/fight with, and the talismans provided a variety of ways to enhance the action along with more dynamic camera angles. Juniper Lee was constantly punching and kicking and rolling but wasn't solving new environmental problems. Kim Possible is another example of a cartoon like Jackie Chan Adventures with creative action scenes and constant 'problem-solving'. Juniper Lee felt bland pretty quickly.

The monsters often looked too 'cuddly' to really look threatening and it was dull that so many could be dispatched with the same techniques.

Her supporting cast was underdeveloped. The dog was ok, her brother was annoying, her Grandma infuriated me as a kid (maybe I'd feel differently now) and her friends were alright.

Why did her Grandma infuriate you

It was decent, but this was a show that was SCREAMING for a more serious and consistent world building. Yeah, she's the defender, yes she can't leave her city BUT how about the magic world?

We heard tons of magic non-sense, codes, dimensions and they were so jumbled and badly explained that you couldn't give a shit.

Oh, the villian this episode is trying to summon a level 6 globnark from the seventh magical realm, Ok, what that means, can Juni just kick the shit out of it?

A magical setting without some rules or limitations with no explanation here and there just makes things bland and boring, cause you don't know what's serious or not.