Shin Godzilla, and Godzilla in General

My local theater is showing Shin Godzilla along with other Godzilla/kaiju movies as part of its Godzilla Fest. Can any anons here give me their impressions, good or bad, on the movie? Worth a watch?

There are other movies being shown over the weekend, like King Kong vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, as well as some Korean monster movie called Dragon Wars, among others. I have never seen any of the movies being offered, and I will probably get the chance to see one.

While I am leaning towards Shin, I can go either way. Friends and other people online have told me mixed things about the movie: some like it, other think its lame garbage. I'd love to hear whether or not it's worth a watch (versus some of the other stuff).

Also you can talk about Godzilla movies in general, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JXf6BO6UkyM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go see it, if you dont like it get ready to forfeit your kino license

It's top tier, OP

>2 hours of boardroom meeting
>half the times the effects are mediocre to terrible
>2 good scenes

Don't see it

you're looking for

aw man, I worked my way to that license after years of shitty b/w Swedish art films. I can't lose it now.

Maybe this is why the theater itself lists the movie as "controversial among Godzilla fans"??

If you don't go in expecting a showa style kaiju slugfest you'll be fine. Anno's style and structure translates really well to the material. And shit even if you aren't sure about it, a theater is the best place to see a film like this regardless

this. can confirm

reminder that Sup Forums is the Sup Forums of watching things, you're surrounded by 14-20 year olds with no attention span, shitty posts like this are rampant.

unironically /m/ is where actual gojira discussion takes place. shin was amazing and I dropped my jaw multiple times watching it in theaters, not something I do often in movies. audience shat a few bricks at certain times. the boardroom scenes were largely comedic and often pretty funny, and filled with social commentary on japanese government which you wouldn't find interesting if you were glued to a smartphone while watching it.

No, it's controversial because of some of the changes Anno made to G's characters

>He goes through metamorphosis
>He shoots beams out of back and tail
>was going to produce xenomorph ripoffs to fight for him but that was cut

No, I dislike the film because it doesn't just have boardroom meetings, but because those boardroom meeting are filled with paper cutout "characters" whom most of them are only introduced through text on screen and then disappear to never be seen again

It's lazy writing and nobody should defend it

Go see it. The characters are likable (among the best in the genre), story is engaging, and editing keeps things interesting. Easily one of the best Godzilla flicks and miles better than the Legendary joint. Reviews have been largely positive (many Japanese critics called it a masterpiece) and its the most financially successful Japanese Godzilla flick in several decades.

All right, I think I am convinced enough to give Shin a shot (seeing it in a theater is a big draw - a so-so movie can be made better with a theater watch). Hopefully I am not rused by Anno like Evangelion fans were taken on-board the 3.33 ruse cruise.

Maybe if I am lucky I can convince friends to see vs. Megaguirus too. I know I got'em for one night.

This movie is the greatest plebfilter of modern Sup Forums

It litterally works outside holywood stabilished formulas of only one important character and instead gives you a situation where many has to professionally deal with except it follows a more realist approach instead of showing a character in his perfect home talking to his perfect daughters and wife it just cuts to them struggling between action and bureaucracy (like in real life)

Its a masterpiece, every shot is impressive, peak cinematography, and the effects aren't 250$ spiderman homecoming level but does its job regardless.

this movie is a 10/10, whoever dislikes it is reddit personified.

I am guessing your perfect shin godzilla would start like this youtube.com/watch?v=JXf6BO6UkyM

ShinG was kino
Probably the best kaiju film ever

PERSE
CUTION
OF THE
MASSES
SACRED
BLESSINGS
COUNT FOR
NOTHING

shin is great because it is a remake of the original with references to current Japan's politics and challenges. if you like the early showa go for it, if you've only seen the western films you won't like it.

if they're showing Godzilla vs Hedorah, drag a fried to go see that too

Shin was the best Godzilla we've had in decades, and it blew 2014's Kick-Ass Looks Concerned and Shares a Broment with Godzilla featuring Walter White out of the water.

This. Shin Godzilla was an actual film, had stuff to say and was made with craft and vision. Definitely worth checking out.

For my money, user, it's worth missing, because he not only looks nothing like Godzilla, he looks nothing like a shin.

If you can only see one, see an actual Godzilla movie, not this failed, destined-to-be-retconned reboot.

You're watching movies about a radioactive dinosaur that shoots lasers from his mouth. You don't get to be condescending.

Yes I do wtf. Fuck that ameriburger, Hollywood hoo-rah wankfest that was 2014 'Zilla

You really don't. You're like one of the neckbeards arguing about which shounen anime is more mature. They're all for kids.

Not that user, but of all the Japanese pop culture that white social inadequates use to assert their superiority over other white social inadequates, Godzilla is the lamest.

Apart from Gaki no Tsukai. But those people know they're retarded.

>they're all for kids

>I don't get to be condescending cause some insecure white men told me I couldn't be.
uhh, I'm able to enjoy the things I like and make clear criticisms about what I don't. You can like 2014 Godzilla, if you want, I just wouldn't recommend you admit that lol

not a real fan of zilla but I did enjoy Shin more than i thought I would the human characters are really charming besides the engrish girl

>I haven't seen the original Godzilla

You don't get to be condescending about laser dinosaurs, and you don't get to act like a Godzilla movie where mankind wins is superior to one in which mankind is a speed bump.

By all means, keep liking your edgelord statue that shoots disco lights. I prefer the Godzilla who smashed another kaiju into paste with his tail.

(Honestly I liked both, but 2014 was a lot more satisfying in the monster scenes. Apart from who will know.)

It's okay to like what you like, go ahead and enjoy the 2014 Godzilla if you want to. That movie sucks, but if you like it you like it.

>That movie sucks

Unlike Shin Godzilla, which wipes its ass with the whole concept but which you like because it's grimdark and you're arrested at the age where grimdark is impressive.

sickdark*, but you're projecting anyway.

Nope, that's you and your badical movie.

me too

That's giving a fuckload of credit where none is due. People like shin because it came second. If legendaryzilla had come after shin, this entire board would be nothing but praise for how much he moved like a real animal, how the mutos were decent baddies, how he was properly indestructible and so on.

I don't thiink so. You see 2014 Godzilla and you watch a pretty standard monster movie, you see Shin Godzilla and you get glimpses of a traditional (and generic, possibly boring) monster movie WITH development and new ideas and even cool cultural criticisms. It's just a more well-rounded film than 2014 Godzilla was, even if it was an okay monster movie (which it isn't).

You're probably right, pure novelty can take a movie a long way.

100% this

I can respect your opinion, but I go into every Godzilla movie wanting Godzilla to do stuff, and in Shin he just... didn't. Once he hit his fourth form he just stood there. When something triggered his lasers he lasered things. He grew arms for absolutely no goddamn purpose. He was just a giant statue. I would argue he wasn't even self-aware. The main conflict of the third act was "Oh no. In two weeks he's gonna stop standing there and wander somewhere else."

I mean, I fucking cheered when 2014 pancaked the flying Muto with his tail. The most emotional I got in Shin was giggling when they hit him with the train to stub his toe and piss him off.

>tfw american godzilla is about to ruin my favorite monster king ghidora

ITS NOT FUCKING FAIR

Look at it this way: so far, Ghidorah has been curb stomped in every movie, sometimes by monster team up, sometimes just by Godzilla or even Mothra. He literally cannot do worse than that.

>yfw they replace his weird chittering roar

I absolutely get your reasoning. As someone who sees a lot of anime, video games, derivatives of big-battle fights like Godzilla became, I just wouldn't be interested if Shin Godzilla had been a punch and laser fest.

2014 Godzilla was wrapped up in this disgusting patriotism/American idealism that really offended my sensibilities, and then I just thought it was boring because so little of it was monster stuff and the monster stuff that was there was resolved instantly. The only good things, I felt, that movie had going for it was the brief portion with Brian Cranston and the visuals.

> If legendaryzilla had come after shin, this entire board would be nothing but praise for how much he moved like a real animal, how the mutos were decent baddies, how he was properly indestructible and so on.
What does one coming first have to do with the other? People who prefer realism are still going on about how "realistic" Legendary Godzilla is. And realism isn't inherently better. But we're discussing a films and he's barely in his. Meanwhile, Shin Godzilla provides the whole package and a fresh new take on the character.

>Yfw he isnt an alien weapon anymore
>Yfw mothra isnt a goddess anymore

shin godzilla is the best godzilla movie next to the first one

anything you could criticize about Shin Godzilla is 100x worse in the others.

98 godzilla is peak zilla kino

anyone who disagrees is parroting internet critics

t. trannyfucker

> hated by most Godzilla fans
> dismissed by general audiences
> trashed by critics
> underperformed by several hundred million dollars and only barely broke even

>disgusting patriotism/American idealism that really offended my sensibilities

Oh, you're one of those sad people with ethnic dysmorphia who puts "Tokyo, Japan" as their location on Facebook.

>like Godzilla became

Oh, you're one of those sad people who pretends that the 1954 film isn't a pompous chore that nobody would watch if it hadn't led to the fun stuff.

Earthworms
FISH
Bobber guy
Babby zillas

Its kino and you know it

underage pls go

I went to G-Fest a couple years ago and it was full of sniveling obnoxious autists that smelled like shit and had the mannerisms of a 5 year old. Made me really embarrassed to be a fan of this kid shit. People talk about how retarded mlp and undertale fans are but I can assure you Godzilla/kaiju fans are just as bad.

I am not. I don't do that, and even then!

I'm in my thirties, man. The movie is overpraised.

>I fucking cheered when 2014 pancaked the flying Muto with his tail
Which you got to after sitting through an hour and a half of some of the most dull drama ever. Legendary Godzilla has arguably the worst human narrative in the entire franchise and its 2/3 of the film's running time and thirty minutes longer than the average Godzilla film.

As opposed to impossibly-handsome-beurocrat's boardroom subtitle adventure. That shit was absolutely riveting. Nothing makes me thirstier for kaiju action than watching people set up photocopiers and overhead projectors. Both movies drag. One had more Godzilla, but all he does is stand there and noodle his tail around. Then later he stands there and DOESN'T noodle his tail around. They're both awesome because they're both Godzilla. Learn to enjoy things.

Shin doesn't drag, cause the point of that movie isn't JUST Kaiju action. 2014 Godzilla's human drama was so generic and contrived, they couldn't have thought it was worth much consideration or the point of their movie. That pancaking? That was the point, and it dragged to get there. Shin Godzilla had a bunch of reasons to exist, Godzilla and human drama included.

> impossibly-handsome
Really?

What did you want? At least the characters had personalities and were likable. It had better pacing and editing. You hate 12 Angry Men and Dr. Strangelove too I imagine. A bunch of talking and meetings. No way that could be interesting. Might as well throw Gojira under the bus while we're at it. Not enough action in there either.

> They're both awesome because they're both Godzilla. Learn to enjoy things.
That's a cop-out and you know it

1. Godzilla is never going to have worthwhile talk in it, we all know we're watching for Godzilla.

2. The 1954 movie is terrible, as noted above.

Fundamentally disagree with both points.

Shin Godzilla had some interesting ideas but ultimately was a bit too dry in its attempt to combine the franchise with social commentary. Not only that, but at times it seemed unsure of its tone, which varied at times between a serious look at how modern governments might respond to a kaiju attack, as well as the horror of such an event, and the lighter tones associated with seeing giant ridiculous looking monsters fuck shit up and get hit by poorly CGI'd trains while campy stirring music plays in the background.

Ultimately, it's not all that satisfying in terms of being a monster movie or as a human political satire even though there's a lot of potential in both sectors.

>At least the characters had personalities and were likable.
Name three of them and tell me their personalities. No google. No rewatching.

The main character's entire arc was "Someday I want to be prime minister." and then someone else going "Seems legit." That was it.

>Shin Godzilla had a bunch of reasons to exist,
Legendary Godzilla did well, and Toho wanted to piggyback off the new wave of Godzilla hype. That was it. That was the only reason it got made. They even pulled that painfully juvenile 'he's 18 feet taller' nonsense.

>Legendary Godzilla did well, and Toho wanted to piggyback off the...
The point I am making is that, unlike 2014 Godzilla, there is more to Shin Godzilla than appealing to fans and making money. It had themes it exercised and commentary to make. You can criticize the merit of that and its success, but it is something that the US Godzilla did not have at all and was made completely forgettable for lack of.

>but at times it seemed unsure of its tone,
For fuck's sake, THIS.

Sure, he looked pretty monstrous, but are we just gonna gloss over the saccharine "Good news! The stuff only has a half-life of two weeks." garbage?

Oops, I meant for the other guy. I agree with some of your points, but I don't think it is as disjointed because of its tone like you seem to.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah I'll look past that np. It's ridiculous, but it doesn't really matter by that point - the end of the movie.

>The point I am making is that, unlike 2014 Godzilla, there is more to Shin Godzilla than appealing to fans and making money.
There really isn't. The theme of Shin was "Nothing is insurmountable to the power of Japanese efficiency!"
The theme of 2014 was "Military is nice and all, but there is shit out there we cannot stop."

Both had themes, both had messages, but both were made to cash in on grognards like us to make money. That's it.

>there is shit out there we cannot stop.
Like what? Kaijus? That isn't a theme, and even if it were it has nothing to be gleaned from it because anything a military goes up against IRL can be, eventually, dealt with by military. 2014 had no themes, it was HOO-RAH and American family idea propaganda with monsters fighting in the background. I think there's more to Shin Godzilla's themes then what you said, but even if it were so scant your assessment still wins over 2014.

Did you just watch the '97 Godzilla and work yourself into a frothing rage and forget where you were?

>Shin Godzilla provides the whole package and a fresh new take on the character.
As opposed to Legendary. Million-year-old-force-of-nature with a whole kaiju biosphere isn't a fresh take. It's exactly the same as the Showa and Heisei Godzilla.

No? I'm not upset, either. I imagine you are a bit worked up for thinking I am though. I was talking about the 2014 Godzilla, full of American families dealing with their boys making sacrifices and contributing to the community and the US military saying "We got this..." and shoving Japan aside lol. It's egregious with this shit, a total patriotic wank-fest.

>the US military saying "We got this..." and shoving Japan aside lol.

This is literally a plot point in Shin Godzilla.

It is a plot POINT.

Oh wait, I want to add to this post by calling you a dumbass. Dumbass...

As opposed to 2014 where it doesn't exist, but you're mad about it being there?

You smell.

It's definitely in there. But, I concede, 2014 Godzilla is a movie that particular people and particular fans will enjoy over Shin, but that doesn't mean much. If you can't see that Shin is a better film, at least, that's too bad I guess.

Rando Higuchi: Frustrated with the system, wanted to get stuff done efficiently, cared deeply about the people and worked tirelessly for them. Serious. No sense of humor about him. Hotheaded and ambitious.

Patterson: Similar to Rando, though a little more arrogant and slightly flirtatious/loose. Very confident. When push comes to shove, her heart is in the right place and she was willing to sacrifice her political career for the sake of her grandmother's country.

Hiromi: Intelligent, though somewhat antisocial and unemotional.

Akasaka: Rando's mentor. While he has similar ideas, he is less ambitious than Rando. He's more conservative/pragmatic, collected, and prefers not to stick too far out from status quo. Very respectful of his superiors.

Prime Minister: His heart is in the right place (his initial refusal to desert his people). However, he's hopelessly incompetent and is a slave to an inefficient system/appearances.

>Legendary Godzilla did well, and Toho wanted to piggyback off the new wave of Godzilla hype.
Anno was approached to write/direct what eventually became Shin Godzilla before Godzilla 2014 even started filming (early 2013). And Toho released a movie after Sony's Godzilla. Guess that was to piggyback off that "success" too, right? Given how quickly Monster Planet popped up, I suspect it and other projects have been in development for a while now.

>the US military saying "We got this..." and shoving Japan aside lol.
For when Godzilla and the Muto land in Hawaii, and then make their way to San Francisco? How DARE they just push Japan aside like that! The sheer nerve!

Watch the movie you fucking idiot.

>suggesting to watch Godzilla 2014 ever
holy shit what a fucking idiot.

I got to see Shin Godzilla in theaters twice and it was one of my best 2016 movie experiences. Absolutely see it on the big screen if you can, several sequences are just breathtaking and the sound design is superb.

>The list of characters.

Fair enough. I threw down the gauntlet and you picked it up most expertly, sir. Well done. I will concede the point.

>Stop enjoying things I don't like!

just don't recommend me to watch movies I clearly don't like!

>2014 had no themes, it was HOO-RAH and American family idea propaganda with monsters fighting in the background.

So again, you're one of those weebs who loathes other white people and thinks he's Japanese.

We realized we weren't getting good motion with the puppet, so we went full CGI. Now our fully CGI Shin Godzilla can stand around and do nothing. Animation is fucking expensive and we blew our whole budget on the first form being adorable.

>theyre gonna remove his weird giggle roar
JUST FUCKING KILL ME

>a fresh new take on the character.

Godzilla isn't a character, it's a special effect.

Since the previous discussion is getting so toxic, is anyone else disappointed that Legendary is going back to retread old monsters instead of coming up with more of their own shit?

I actually liked the Mutos and the whole parasitic angle to their reproduction.

>grimdark
if anything 2014 is more grim just because mankind could do literally nothing to stop the monsters. And considering that 90% of its action is at night to lower costs on CGI it feels darker. 2014 probably had a higher body count as well.

I'm not though. THEN how will you reconcile that in your head?

>Since the previous discussion is getting so toxic, is anyone else disappointed that Legendary is going back to retread old monsters instead of coming up with more of their own shit?
Not really, because Godzilla movies only exist because it's fun to watch men in rubber suits stomp cardboard buildings. Why would we want anything new? Make it new and you remove the point of it.