Did he know (at that point) that Peter had superpowers?

If not, why all that talk about responsibility?

He figured he was doing martial-arts/bodybuilding, dingus

He had many responsibilities other than crime fighting to look after his aunt, prevent the racial decline of America, to do well in school.

an interesting and provocative question OP. It puts the beginning of Raimi's film in an entirely different light.
You should go post this on Reddit

Because teenagers are fucking irresponsible idiots

I always thought it had to do with intelligence. He knew Peter was a smart kid, and wanted to make sure he used that to his best ability and to help others in the world.

Puberty senpai

If your son, or in this case grandson, had super powers that he'd kept hidden from you, and you still managed to somehow stumple upon this and find out his secret identity, what would you do?
Confront him? Support him?

Because parenting, user. Just because you didn't have any, doesn't mean that no one does.

>or in this case grandson
You mean nephew?

He saw that Peter was growing and changing into a stronger and more confident alpha male, and meant to teach him about the White Man's Burden, the responsibility of the master to discipline the servant.

Just make sure He's doing it for the right reasons, if he dies fuck him

>he doesnt know

In the original script he was supposed to teach him the 14 words in that scene, but I guess the producers felt it was a little too much

>his name is fucking uncle ben
>doesn't know

Because he knew Peter was going through a time of change, and that one day he would be a man. I thought this was obvious.

>Le ebin "Raimi Different Time" meme

This is a good point, funny enough Stan Lee said (in some interview) that when he wrote the line he was just thinking of generic inspiration and didnt mean for it to be character defining. Since it ended up like that i'm sure Stan had nothing to do with it and Steve Ditko thought of it.

>"The jewish problem has a simple solution. Hitler knew this."

What did Anonymous mean by this? I gues 4 minutes ago was a different time..

No, he assumed it was just hormonal teenage phase. Petey was being emotional in the house and he stood up Uncle Ben on their paint date. Uncle Ben then heard about him beating Flash Thompson's ass and his speech was meant to cover that incident and life in general

Good response, I havent seen the movie in a while but that makes sense. I wonder if any other director could of possibly delivered this scene as perfectly.

>my nephew got into a fight at school
>surely the only reason this would happen is that he was bitten by a genetically modified spider, granting him enhanced strength and reflexes

He hears Peter beats up a bully, but doesn't him to get egotistical about it.
Ben just wanted to make sure he wasn't gonna start picking fights with people.

No fun

>stood up Uncle Ben on their paint date

Now I'm picturing Tobey Maguire and Cliff Robertson sensually painting each other's bodies.

Thank you.

>he did call Pete "Michelangelo"

Fuck off.

Because it was just good advice generally. You big retard.