The Ancient One: a badass Asain monk, is now a white woman. Why?

The Ancient One: a badass Asain monk, is now a white woman. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0
twitter.com/search?q=tilda swinton white washing&src=typd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Chinese don't like to be reminded that Tibetans exist.

I still don't get this excuse. Ancient One could still have been asian, just don't specify where they're from.

Blame the cancer that is PC culture.

Because then people who question the change can safely be labeled as sexist and dismissed for not wanting such a talented actress playing the role.

I don't even understand what point you're trying to make.

I love Tilda too much to be angry.

Because Tilda Swinton is cool

this. It always feels like she is trying and just ends up in shit scripts (like with Constantine)

Chinese here. In China we get reminded Tibetans exist all the time.

Tibetan are Chinese, the same way blacks can be American, and like with blacks in American being paraded around in media as symbols of assimiliation and multicultural life, in China minority groups like Tibetans get paraded around too. Just look up the singer Han Hong.

It's just that the party and the government are paranoid about any pop culture symbol outside their control. They think if they let foreigners create a Tibet symbol, it'll become a rallying point for separatists, which is true. Just look how the Dalai Lama is a symbol for separatists even when the guy himself has officially come out as opposing separatism.

>1.) Ancient One like the Mandarin is considered a racist stereotype.
So they made her female...
>2.) China will ban any films and companies that show Tibet in a positive light, they banned Seven Years in Tibet & all Disney films for almost a decade. And banned Brad Pitt & the director from ever entering the country.
So they made her no Tibetan.

Writer of the film talks about it here at 17:54
youtube.com/watch?v=eEpbUf8dGq0

Exactely, normally I would be bother but she is too much a good fit for the role. She is perfect when it come to incarnate an eternal being.

>A dc fan, who has never read any marvel comics in his life, and does not care about the character of The Ancient One, pretends to care about how different the character is in the movies, just because he is butthurt that his favourite company's movies suck dick and that makes his want to start shit on a vietnamese competitive dog brooming forum.

Sup Forums, ladies and gentlemen.

>Tibetan are Chinese

>David Bowie died before he could play the Ancient One switching out with Swinton between shots

>1.
So they couldn't have just removed the stereotypes instead?
>2.
They could have not specified that he was Tibetan, and just referred to him as Asain.

Because white women think that asians are offended when they're badass monks in movies.

bait harder

>retarded fag on company wars

These are the most patethic people on this site. I will can you be so autistic that you are sub-human?

Because it would have caused problems with the China release of the movie.

SJWS: "WHITE WASHING IS OK WHEN *WE* DO IT!"

>So they couldn't have just removed the stereotypes instead?
The Ancient One is a key unmovable aspect of the lore and any Asian Sorcerer character is considered Racist no matter how well its handled.
Mandarin wasn't racist in anyway shape or form in Iron Man Haunted or Fraction's run but people still claim he is a racist character.

hit too hard home i see

Fuck, what is the deal with sjws hating asians so much? They pretend to give a fuck about EVERY other non-white "minority", but they openly hate asians.

Can any actual asian person explain this to me? Why do you guys keep voting democrat when the left is unapologetically racist against you?

no, it's just no one gives a shit about your company war bullshit.

who are you trying to fool?

>and just referred to him as Asain.
Do you know how offensive that is? "Asia" is not one fucking country, it's an entire geographical region filled with a large variety of people from numerous cultures and widely different descendants. Just slapping the label "Asian" on a person who just looks the part, according to you, is extremely ignorant and helps nobody but self-serving corporate white people who think they are "making a difference", while they're actually just undermining narrative potential for unique voices from a non-white perspective.

It is a cruel, unjust world.
>David Bowie as the Ancient One.
>Prince as the Ancient One.
>Lemmy as the Ancient One.

>1.) Ancient One like the Mandarin is considered a racist stereotype

Which is bullshit. It looked to me that they were playing the Mandarin up to be middle eastern anyway. They didn't have to cop out on the character entirely because of some fu-manchu bullshit.

tumblr is in an uproar that Ancient One isn't a Chinese lady.

sorry this TRIGGERED you SJW's

Isnt racist to say a asian monk CANT be a white woman?

i was being sarcastic in my last post, i realize theres no difference on sounding dumb as possilbe and what people actually say....

>Tibetan are Chinese

I guess Palestinians are Israeli too. I mean they're occupying them and everything. How's the cultural extermination thing going?

Tilda Swinton is literally only cast to be an androgynous character.

No they aren't. They openly encouraged taking a role away from a potential asian male.

This is the best answer. Everything else is baiting.

Because the Democrats are a right-wing party as well.

there's HAN Chinese, which is the ethnic group and CHINESE which is a citizen of china.

>No they aren't

Could have fooled me. Most folk in the SJery were pretty pissed off about another instance of white-washing. I imagine you can find a tumblr somewhere that's more than likely some dude from Sup Forums trolling the shit out of you. You guys spend a lot of time trolling each other, falling for it and getting supremely butt-hurt.

It's funny.

no it wouldn't you just don't need to reference that he's Tibetan, same way Swinton won't be referenced as a Tibetan

because let's be real was there ever a white, fermale tibetan?.

>Tilda Swinton
>White
>Woman
>Human

I mean you can assume that sjws are reacting a certain way, or you can, I don't know, look it up?

twitter.com/search?q=tilda swinton white washing&src=typd

Dalai Lama wants Tibet to have a Taiwan like status with him as the head.

Really? Being referred to as Asain is offensive? Are you retarded?

Marvel looked at the cast of Spider-Man: Homecoming and felt the need to white wash a bit.

>The Ancient One
>badass
pfhahahahaha
At least try.

Marvel was fucked no matter what they did.
If they made TAO Tibetan, China would have banned the movie and they'd lose billions of dollars.

If they made TAO another Asian ethnicity, it implies all Asian cultures are interchangeable.

So they genderbent the role and hoped it would offset the whitewashing.

>Ancient One could still have been asian, just don't specify where they're from.
WOW. You fucking RACIST!

it's Sup Forums's doing anyway

David should've played Morningstar in the never-going-to-be-made Sandman movie

Prince? A flamboyant alien, I'd allow Starfox even.

Lemmy? Agamotto's voiceover

>democrats
>right-wing

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/anymentalhealthinstitution/
>>>/seriouslyyouneedhelp/
>>>/becauseyouredelusional/

How is that racist in any way? I hope you're joking.

>Mandarin wasn't racist in anyway shape or form in Iron Man Haunted or Fraction's run but people still claim he is a racist character.
He was created as an offensive racist stereotype, and didn't really become anything more than that for a while. I agree, I don't think it should taint the character indefinitely, but you also can't pretend it was never an issue

What about making him Indian? The India subcontinent is diverse enough from the rest of Asia that people know it isn't lumping everyone together, while still allowing for a ethnically mystic background.

You're a fucking retard and seem to belong on tumblr judging by how you type.

Hollywood has a tendency to treat all East Asian cultures as the same; a giant cultural mishmash. They will also cast Koreans as Japanese characters, Japanese as Chinese characters, etc.

Not really though, much less so than making the character a white woman

Something something China, something something political shit, something something better make her a girl to appease SOMEONE

See It's not an issue of referring to someone as Asian, it's an issue of suggesting all Asian cultures are interchangeable. I mean, we get pretty pissed off when they turn a white character black, even though they're still American you know? Or what if they made Red Skull Italian, they're both white European axis powers.

But at the end of the day what makes sense doesn't matter. What matters is sales. Which means what matters is not pissing off China, which means no Tibetan. If they're already forced to change that and take a PR hit, might as well be with an actor that people like (and name an Asian with as much recognition as Tilda)

This has been explained so many time and covered in so many interviews what is even the point of pretending this is something to be upset about?

It was an unwinable situation and they chose the least painful sword to fall on. Deal with it.

Part of that is due to the work force, there is a much smaller selection of Asian actors in Hollywood so the likelihood of finding the right ethnicity who also fits the role well is much lower than just casting the best actor and not giving a shit about the specifics

Because if you have to take a token out, just replacing it with another token will make things right. That's how tolerance works, don't it?

I can't tell if you're retarded because you're American or irrationally bigoted because you're European.

>there aren't enough talented asian actors in America to play the part!

You are a complete fucking retard if you actually believe that.

>He was created as an offensive racist stereotype
So was Crimson Dynamo and all other Commie Iron Man villains, and in IM2 we has something you could argue was even more offensive, what with the hard drinking and ridiculous Heavy Weapons Guy accent.

Liberal Communist Jewish Muslim Gay propaganda?

Name five.

>least painful sword is whitewashing
Yeah okay

Honestly surprised they didn't make Tao black instead

>cast a male
>"OMFG THIS COULD'VE BEEN A WOMYN!!!"
>cast a woman
>"OMFG THIS COULD'VE BEEN *insert nationality of the week*

it's a lose-lose with sjw, who don't take into account the political bullshit surrounding casting.

Listen, I KNOW Asians are not all interchangeable but they are actors. Like, Henry Cavill and Benedict Cumberbatch are Superman and Doctor Strange respectively, and they are British actors playing American characters.
>(and name an Asian with as much recognition as Tilda)
lmao who is going to see this movie because of Tilda Swinton?

Brian Tee
Lucy Liu
Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa
Godfrey Gao
Michelle Yeoh

What's wrong with racism?

What, I can't go to your birthday party? Fuck you.

Literally who: the post

Ben Kingsley

Cuz the Asian stereotype man!! Cant have white person going to foreign culture and mastering it then representing it to the world

So instead we have a white person leading an Asian monastary and representing it to the world and teaching another white person to rule over the Asian monastary and represent it to the world.

That goodness they changed the racist Asian mentor character and saved an Asian actor from a job.

The heroes at Marvel Studios similarily did the same with the Mandarin. Make sure all the Asian actors thank Feige for protecting them from stereotypical roles

Sure, I'm not disagreeing that it's a bullshit reason to not use the character. I'm just saying, if someone were to call him a racist stereotype.... Well, he's been that longer than he hasn't

>asian people rule the most fucking important jobs in the technology industry and fuck us over with trade agreements that affect the lives of millions

WAHHHHHHH THEY CAN'T PRETEND TO BE PEOPLE FOR MONEY WAHHHHHHH

Yeah but no one cares when it's a Brit, people care when it's an Asian. It's bullshit but it's still true.

Relevance?

Yeah lets argue about starving kids in India next and its relation to the Dr. Strange movie next.

99% of Asians in Hollywood are there as tokens, they can't fucking act.

There are very few exceptions (Benedict Wong kills it in everything)

No good reason. Changing a character's race in a movie adaption is wrong.

It was wrong in Daredevil, it was wrong in Thor, it was wrong in Big Hero 6 and it's wrong in this.

>it was wrong in Big Hero 6

> IMPLYING

If there was a white super named Cracker who was just some white guy with a box of crackers it'd be just as bad

>Big Hero 6
>Changing a character
Yeah because the 90s version was so much better.
You on shrooms or something?

The old man Ancient One is reportedly in the movie. He'll probably take the mantle when she's inevitably killed or transcends or gets locked in the shadow realm or whatever

flashback, most probably. the comics Ancient One isn't the first

>old man ancient one appears

>WTF MARVEL BACKPEDALING PUSSIES

it happened with the Mandarin it'll happen again

They were angry about this, Ironfist, Avatar, Ironman, Ghost in the Shell, 21, celebrities wearing a geisha and #cancelcolbert.

You know what would be funny?

>Wong is actually the Ancient One testing Strange
>the Ancient One is actually Wong acting as a decoy

The Marvel Universe has black Norse gods, white Asians, and... white Asians.

I AM THE MANDARIN TONY!!!

Jack Black as the voice of Agamotto

>Batman Begins

tibet isn't china. they aren't citizens. even china isn't china, taiwan is.

Shit I surprisingly like that casting

>wearing a geisha
um

>Agamotto is a fucking cartoon

D R O O P E D

Yes but Tilda does things to me I don't quite understand.

I just hope she gives a performance as gloriously hammy as in Snowpiercer.

don't even know Strange mythos, but if they get that stupid then I'm out

It's a character that was created by white people. Asians don't own the character and this isn't whitewashing

>white woman
It's Tilda Swinton she can turn into anything.

Not any different from having Samuel L Jackson anyway.