Why no discussion of this? too emasculated by the power of womyn?

why no discussion of this? too emasculated by the power of womyn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ke9LpxcZz8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what have they done that's powerful? it seems that they just get victimized all the time.

maybe next season we'll get some civil war action.

she carved that thing in the wall and the lesbian escaped to canada

>too emasculated by the power of womyn?
I'm sure this thread will be filled with reasoned and thought-provoking discussion.

i dont know how to start a thread without b8

just wanted to know why i havent seen anyone shitting on this piece of shit series
nothing is thought out in the slightest and i cant stand the ugly whore from madmen

oh...well then.

Thing about a regime as violent and extreme as Gilead would be that it would provoke quite an extreme and violent response. Would be an interesting theme to explore.

making the "resistance" like the Jacobins would be interesting...

meh, I liked it

Mildly entertaining show. I like Peggy and I'm glad I got to see her naked. I really enjoyed watching women used as breeding sows.

its pretty good but like most adaptations its not as good as the book

i didn't think women could ever come up with something as embarrassing as the guy fawkes mask or fedora.
i was wrong

>oh gawd dos evil Christian's want to oppress your rights! Even though Christianity is weaker and toothless than ever
>please ignore the non fiction version of this movie currently occurring in all Muslim countries

What did they mean by this?

Pretty funny
youtube.com/watch?v=-ke9LpxcZz8

The Handmaiden > The Handmaiden's Tale

You are aware that this series is a work of fiction right?

Fuck hater. Go after mudslimes why don't ya?

So is Islam

I guess they meant
>it's 2deep4u
since you apparently can't seem to understand how fiction can use parallels and the war on women's rights has been a part of the GOP platform for quite some time now.

I thought Atwood's story was decent but this adaptation was kind of shitty. The OST was okay but whoever the musical director was should be hung from the gallows. General visual direction in the series was poor too.

how will drumpf ever recover?

>"killing your own kid is wrong"
>WAAAAAAAHHHHHH MUH RIGHTS

Even the bible says abortion is okay.

I don't care

jej

Not really only since the 80's that's less than a 3rd of the party's history in existence.

Meanwhile democrats platform has included the protection of agrarian slave labor for the vast majority of it's existence. whether it's indentured servitude, slavery, peonage or illegal immigrant wage slavery.

I just did not find it terribly interesting
The monologues were mostly annoying because they just held up the story a lot, and I did not really find the Christian fundamentalism thing very interesting because it really did not line up with any relevant part of Christian fundamentalism
Also it just seemed to absurd that such a movement despite a vast majority of the population hating it could take over, especially since the US government has a plan for everything including the girl scouts rising up and would rather nuke everything than die.
The only thing I appreciated is at least the puritans accurately disliked Catholics

>Also it just seemed to absurd that such a movement despite a vast majority of the population hating it could take over,

It's not that absurd. They coordinated three isolated attacks on the three branches of government that killed most of the people in office, then replaced those people with their own fundamentalist representatives and declared martial law, and during that indeterminate period secretly prepared their military and their militias to be under the control of sympathizers and then started rolling back civil liberties bit by bit, enforcing the law violently when protests started. And then it was too late already.

>playing with their phones

I get too depressed watching it, and realizing that the utopian paradise depicted in the show won't come about in my lifetime.

For the most part, it's primarily based on the book. And in the book there's no cause/correlation for the birth rates declining. It also ends in the same shitty way. So there's no material for a second season, they need to make it up as they go along now.

That's how a feel about Man in the High Castle.

*parasite
It doesn't do anything except feed off nutrients it's not intaking itself

>you get to live in a mansion, get taken care of completely and fuck a hot dude. It's like 50 Shades of Gray without the torture. One thing though. You can't be a cunt.
>NO CAN DO, PATRIARCHY!

>forced to conceive multiple babies throughout your lifetime until your cooch shrivels up and dies and get sent to clean up toxic waste
Yeah, sounds great

Sure, if you ignore all the physical and psychological abuse, being turned into a birthing machine with no rights and no freedom, having to live in constant fear that they will send you to the colonies or hang you and publicly showcase your corpse if you object to anything done to you...

Its just by any logic these attacks would fail miserable
And at best you get a civil war with that scenario
The US gov and military generally work for its own interest and would be readily able to respond to these thing in an effective way

Would you honestly enjoy watching a character choose a comfy boring slave life over a rough dangerous free life. No meming

Id be more willing to buy a transformation of the US government not overthrow
If not that a small carved out government like ISIS but it all seemed to stable for that

Roasties spotted

>why no discussion of this?

Because people on Sup Forums get so asspained by the concept of the show they miss the entire point. There are people on here who seriously think it's a liberal attack against Christianity and Western values - it's not at all.

>And at best you get a civil war with that scenario

The nation of Gilead are in a civil war with some the surviving states, dummy.

>The US gov and military generally work for its own interest and would be readily able to respond to these thing in an effective way

You don't think living in a highly authoritative fascist nation where the military and central government are granted massive amount of power and influence isn't appealing?

I've never read this book or watcher this series, but I read Oryx and Crake a long time ago and the way Margaret Atwood depicted both the future and the autistic character in that book convinced me that she was, at the very least, a decently clever mother fucker.

Would you mind explaining what the point of it is then?

I know it's based off the book but what was the purpose of it?

>but it all seemed to stable for that

You see very small glimpses of how fucked up the world has gotten due to the low birthrates. Mobs praying in front of hospitals, trying to kidnap babies... And the show mostly takes places in the neighborhoods filled with the elite, the flashbacks show how fucked up it is once you get past the gated communities where the big shots live.

Not interested in watching it because a second season has been greenlit on already stretched out material.

>on already stretched out material.

It's not really stretched because the book ends ambiguously with no concrete end and it's then revealed that everything in the story has basically been a collection of audio recordings that a college professor is using as part of a historical lecture about the period of history where Gilead ruled America, almost two hundreds in the future.

>almost two hundreds years in the future.

fixed

>I really enjoyed watching women used as breeding sows.
This is my fetish.

Basically, the events in the book were largely inspired by the Iranian Revolution. You have these young men and women that are going out and having fun on the weekends, jogging, drinking coffee, etc. and then society changes around them in the blink of an eye. Suddenly they have to conform to roles that they don't understand, out of threat of violence.

So, as far as 'attacking' Christianity, it's really more against the religious fundamentalism as a whole. However, they specifically do 'Islamic' style things, for example there is an uncomfortable scene with FGM, and a politician that makes a mistake is forcibly amputated for his crimes. Also, I found it interesting that they don't really mention Jesus or Moses. They talk about specific biblical characters that relate to their problem of fertility, but the main parts of Christianity are intentionally ignored. They don't even go to a church for example.

As for the Western values, the protagonist has a healthy relationship with a guy and they have a child. They have a very ordinary and happy nuclear family. They're the most Western thing about the entire show, only to be distorted by the religious take over.

It's basically a look at the extreme side of theocracy with some fantasy elements involved. The author sets it in the US so you can really empathize with what it would have been like to be some Iranian woman, wearing bell bottom jeans and going to discos, now having to be a second class citizen.

don't play dumb, the show is insulting Christianity and not islam in any way, the books are different though I agree

>they don't mention Jesus
>they don't go to church
>they don't show any crucifixes
>there's no Christian iconography or memorabilia
>politicians conversing about distorting religious texts

Like what? They do everything they can to show you it's not Christian at all.

>the show is insulting Christianity and not islam in any way,

It's depicting zealous religious fundamentalism as bad. Getting hung up over muh Christianity is just autistic since the story could easily be applied to other major religions like Islam as well.

Look at the audience, they aren't taking it to be a statement against Mohammed

They're using Christianity because the book was written in the 80s and it is easier for Americans to digest. But it could just as well be Islam.

What's this position called?

>Christian marriage was the genesis of women's rights
>Dude Christians r so evil lmao

keep telling yourself that

she is, and i doubt anyone on this board would ever know that. that being said, the tv show adaptation of the handmaid's tale is a hamfisted bore

The funny thing is the author got all her idea about Gilead from Islamic countries lol

>Society threatened by infertility
>confirmed fertile women are treated like sub-human garbage

What a retarded premise.

The point is to continuously churn out babies like a factory. Of course they're treated like cattle while there's a flimsy pretense that they're actually sacred.

In order to churn out babies like a factory you have to be healthy. That means no mind torture, no physical abuse.
Basically nothing this feminist strawman nightmare world would allow.

>In order to churn out babies like a factory you have to be healthy.

They are pampered to certain degree. But when they don't get pregnant despite repeated attempts, of course some entitled and privileged assholes get mad and start abusing the handmaiden by punishing them for not being fertile enough. But it's little shit, since they can't danger the uterus.

And it's shown that the system isn't anywhere near perfect or highly successful, as it tends to fuck the psyche of some handmaidens. One is even shown to be completely nutty due to the abuse she endured during their training period, and ultimately tries to kill herself, along with her baby. The previous Offred was also shown to have hung herself rather than go through with the abuse anymore. The point is that the Gilead are desperate enough for babies to think it's a good idea overall despite the flaws.

ahahahahaha

>the events in the book were largely inspired by the Iranian Revolution

And yet the TV show is about evil Christian white males and is lauded by finger snapping feminist whales, I will never in a million years watch it go shill your shit elsewhere

Reverse cuck

>Basically, the events in the book were largely inspired by the Iranian Revolution

Atwood is on record saying that the rise of the evangelical Right and the "Moral Majority" in the '80s under Reagan prompted her to write it.

>They talk about specific biblical characters that relate to their problem of fertility, but the main parts of Christianity are intentionally ignored. They don't even go to a church for example

Because the religion is supposed to be like the Old Testament on steroids, it's not some veiled criticism of fundamentalist Islam

t. beta male cuck who wants to live in a bubble

Every feminist whore I knew who read the book loved it because they thought it was anti-christian.

What does that even mean. I've heard people say this show is a legitimate critique on the horrors that women face in Trump's America, that's living in a bubble if anything is

>and realizing that the utopian paradise depicted in the show won't come about in my lifetime
utopia
juːˈtəʊpJə/Submit
noun
an imagined place or state of things in which everything is perfect.

>Every feminist whore I knew who read the book loved it because they thought it was anti-christian.
Are you just jelly they're fucking everybody but you?

Triggered

Are prorestants even christian?

Well it's hyperbole, but not that farfetched considering all the chauvinistic things Trump has said, like women should be penalized for having abortions. It really says something about the country when the President can actively cyberbully women by implying they are bleeding from some part of their body and it's considered to be a relatively okay, scandal free day for the President.

you need to get your brain looked at. I won't let you destroy the world, I won't let you make it worse do you hear me?

so?

>the military and central government are granted massive amount of power and influence isn't appealing?
They already have that.

Like not even the President can control the Deep State.

>I wonder why she chose to make the villains Christian?
See
>Atwood is on record saying that the rise of the evangelical Right and the "Moral Majority" in the '80s under Reagan prompted her to write it.

It's interesting, you see far more of this oppression of women in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities then you do in Christian communities, something the author (as a orthodox raised Jewess) was surely more familiar with. I wonder why she chose to make the villains Christian?

The main actress is a Scientologist. That's approaching Linda Sarsour levels of hypocrisy.

to destroy it, to take over, to gain influence. Christianity is the only threat left to them, don't let them make a foothold and become a christian.

Because most of American are Christians and it's thus more believable and easier to sell to the mainstream readers who are already familiar with Christianity?

Not into disabled chicks

No they just don't have the balls to do something against muslims so once again Christianity becomes the punching bag and its been that way for so long but Christians are such good bunch that they don't retailate and bend over and take it.

I watched the first episode and couldn't connect at all, it all seemed far too contrived

I might have not keked out loud if pic related was the star when they implied she was at all attractive.

check out this show too

The show is based on a book tha was written in the 80s. But sure. Your conspiracy theory is right.

>the author (as a orthodox raised Jewess)
Source?

I think the funny thing is them looking up to fictional women when there are women who went through much worse in real life.

Fiction tends to lend itself better for icons that you imitate and copy. Look at V for Vendetta for popularizing Guy Fawkes masks.

White women can only relate to the real world through TV.

Breh in the modern world abortion is totally fine. I'd want any girl I knocked up to get an abortion

It's funny how all supporters of abortion happen to not have been aborted themselves.

Buy farcry5

Not all pregnancies are unwanted, bruh.

>patriarchal religious societies that treat women as property are evil!
I don't watch Islamophobic shit, thank you.

Social media made it impossible for me to discover the themes and artistry of any modern film.

Often you have 900 liberal article spewers telling people they must watch something because of how it breaks glass ceilings and turns corners or whatever the fuck.

You can't even google the name of the show or movie without that retarded bullshit filling the first couple entries.

Before this decade, I would probably go see Black Panther because it had the potential to be action Afrikino, but now I'll wait because everyone is screaming about how a 95% black cast is "diversity".

Fucking normies

>the war on women's rights