I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed

I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed.

At least the scenes with her mother were alright.

Could this movie have been better if ScarJo wasn't the Major?

Definitely. It wouldn't have fixed the many other problems but ScarJo sucks you out of the movie, just awful.

Nah. Scarlett Johanson was good casting, seeing how she acted in Under the Skin or Lucy, but the direction and scriptwriting was regular Holywood shit, trying to pander to everyone and ending up with the blandest shit possible.

I'm probably gonna watch it because spidertank fight is in it

They wouldn't dare fuck up that scene, r-right?

Maybe, I think it was more of a screen direction than anything else, the plot wasn't good, the villain was weak, it honestly felt rushed, not knowing what direction to take.

I mean, sure you can dumb down GITS to some degree and you have to make something different than the original material but the writing was weak as fuck.

>scenes with her mother
>Shes asian and scar jos white as hell

Its like they didnt even hide the fact they whitewashed major, it makes no sense

>ou have to make something different than the original material
Thing is, it didn't try to differentiate itself from the original, but come from it like a goddamn cancer. An original adaptation of GitS was done before, TWICE, the Oshii films and SAC.

screen direction problem*

The did... they completely emptied the scene of its symbolism and beauty, changed it into a basic hollywood fight, and the spider tank reveal is fucking weak, basically just bad guy #1 literally saying "is the spider tank ready"?

Holy fuck how can you mess up that badly.

Not sure couldve been the direction, she seemed less robotic and more human but kept her smart ass attitude

0/10

I've seen a webm of it, major actually succeeds in ripping the hatch open, while the tank is crushing someone else's head (?) and then it explodes for either no reason or because batou arrived 30 seconds early and is out of shot with the anti tank cannon

It actually makes sense: there are no canon on her shell's appearance, in the animated movies she has a seemingly caucasian shell, with blue eyes.

It's also one of the point of the story: you're losing your identity, who you are, they told her she was a migrant so not being japanese actually made sense.

Go back to Sup Forums. This is Sup Forums baby. We don't give a fuck to the story in the manga.

So she was like an anti government hippie?

It's not that bad, I want to be dominated by ScarJo in that bodysuit.

Yeah, and Batou takes down the heli, weird.

It's not about the movie following the manga you retard, the movie itself is bad, you don't need to know the manga to see that.

You don't even realize how much you are responsible for the movie's mediocrity.

They put that scene in only to gather anime fans, not because it was necessary for the movie to work.

Of course they fucked it up, but that's not the point. They fucked up in general by literally translating the series into live-action material, instead of trying to develop leading themes into movie form.

But then again, nobody would watch it, because it doesn't resemble something they are familiar with. The target audience is the reason why it became souless copy-paste holywood garbage.

With that in mind try to understand why I roll my eyes everytime someone bitches about ScarJo, because she wasn't good enough. The movie sucks, but not for reasons everyone complains about.

The manga's bad, mamoru oshii movie is gr8 precisely because it butchers the manga

This movie pissed me off. I'm not even a weeb but they shit so hard on the source material, changed the entire interesting and compelling plot of transhumanism for "muh individuality" and a "love story".

Fuck this movie in the ass with a rake.

stop eating the bait

I never asked for a live action GITS, I never went to see it and if I do watch it it'll be thanks to that rare breed of people who seed their torrents

The spidertank fight is garbage. The 1995 movie it was thrilling to watch, and had genuine tension as she fought it to get at the Puppet Master.

Had to watch the anime after, I honestly to god belive some of us weebs on Sup Forums with the budget would make a better movie.

Thanks for the opinion reddit spacing user

>reddit spacing

What did he mean by this?

The matrix was basically live action GITS with some Akira flavoring. I never liked the matrix.

> (You)

>>reddit spacing

>What did he mean by this?

What

did

he

mean

by

this

?

I saw the movie. The movie is very nice. You're a faggot.

>reddit spacing

Nice

Meme

Breh

t. pleb

Thanks, I'm uploading it on /r/Sup Forums as we speak

My point is still valid. Even though nobody asked for it, they made it with the GITS's audience in mind. The audience that will flood the imageboards with "they butchered it" unless it sticks tip-top to the original material. But of course nobody realizes that such thing is impossible and pointless, which is why neither do the fans get what they wanted, nor does the movie try something different.

It's just an unfortunate loop of failure.

>le pleb meme
Wake the fuck up kiddo. You know dick about kinographia.

Your point is invalid because hollywood movie making business is an elaborate money laundering front for child sex trade.

Daily reminder the guy who did it is the same who directed snowhite and the huntsman
>he have no new movies ahead KEK

Which is exactly why they wouldn't dare taking any risks. Had the audience been less mentally challanged, they would adapt more adventorous strategy and try to milk that cow by making something appropriate.

how to fuck an adaptation beyond all recognition the movie

let's put aside the casting debate, frankly this adaptation missed the mark on so many levels it's insulting to anyone who enjoyed the anime iterations or the manga.

The esthetics are sort of ok production design/wise, but that's all there is to it really. The stunts did absolutely not convey the superhuman capabilities of cyborgs. The action scenes were bland and uninspired, they were very poorly trying to imitate the anime

The plot made sense I guess but simply didn't do justice to the franchise. The Hanka plot is absolutely meaningless. Kusanagi never had identity crisis of this magnitude in any previous entry in the franchise. It's not who the major is that matters, it's the reasoning behind how she does what she does that is the core of the character's appeal. The whole mother plot was absolutely off topic, double mother plot actually. To me it felt that the people behind this adaptation did not understood what Gits is about.
Even the soundtrack felt completely disconnected to the franchise. I thought I was listening to the mass effect 2 soundtrack the whole fucking time. It wasn't spiritual nor inspiring.
And wtf was Aramaki doing with a gun killing henchmen? This is the polar opposite of what he's supposed to be. His weapon is his cunning mind not a fucking century old Smith & Wesson.

It just was a weird strange empty shell of an adaptation, a remix of what we've all already seen previously but without any soul, without any balls. Then again what can one expect from an Avi Arad production nowadays?

Pretty spot on post mate.

stand alone complex oddly has a lot of parallels with islamisim

Hollywood tried to make a quick buck and failed. I've already had to endure Arise so watching this turd wasn't as painful anymore.

the anime movie is a mess to begin with, i watched it years ago and i remember being confused, i dont know why japs love these "complicated" movies, like with that kid on the red bike. honestly i watched it for scarjos ass and didnt get much of that either.

Just because you're dumb doesn't mean the movie is.

One of the best of the year so far
Ghost Hunting
The Florida Project
El mar la mar
Personal Shopper
On the Beach at Night Aolne
The Other Side of Hope
Dark Night
The Bad Batch
Ghost in the Shell(2017)

Stick to Sup Forums or /r/movies if you can't read cinema, kid

>i dont know why japs love these "complicated" movies
>"complicated" movies

Oh sweetie.. I bet your mum called you special all the time.

did i hurt your feelings chinaman?

No but we've clearly hurt yours

well, shit

kys

she did alright, just the writing and direction

>/r/movies

go fuck yourself with unopened funko toys

>I roll my eyes everytime someone bitches about ScarJo, because she wasn't good enough. The movie sucks, but not for reasons everyone complains about.
The movie sucks but ScarJo was catastrophic. The guy plays Batou was fine, it doesn't make the movie good but at least it makes it watchable. I'm baffled how this woman got into acting all these years and haven't improved a bit. She looks like a total random woman picked off the street. No wonder she played an alien who can't even talk, everyone knows she sucks but she had big boobs and lots of fags would watch her films without thinking. But I think she finally hit the wall.

She was better than I expected, but the whole script was changed too much

i fucking liked it, i dont get all the hate. it was cool