Isnt me or has Steven universe gotten pretty weak storywise

isnt me or has Steven universe gotten pretty weak storywise

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty_payment#Music_royalties
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't watch the show, but I'm guessing you are complaining because the episode was "filler."

Season 3 has definitely been lacking.

Fuck SU Where's my god damn OK KO series Ian

No, townie episodes are like that

it was always weak

just keep on ripping off anime, the /sug/ cancer will keep blowing their loads over it

People say that at the start of every season, it's just the flow of the show. There's always downtime after the big dramatic events.

you say this after the first episode in a while that advances the plot in a significant way

I mean the drama is sorta nothing to cry about anymore and the filler has no build up
the action episodes are kinda weak since they reveal stuff we already know

I dont know man

Why does he look like he's having an allergic reaction

Lakewood Plaza Turbo is shit and so are you.

Oh look, a raysist!

>the start of every season
We're already over half way through

This.

Correct. They've lost focus and are trying to juggle to many damn things at once. They're spending the start of the new season half-assedly revisiting background characters that should have been odne in S1 while trying to give it purpose by jamming in these random new powers being discovered out of nowhere. Characters are being OoC as fuck as a result too, and the pacing that really made the show in S1 is so off track. I'd argue there haven't been that many filler episodes up until this season, but so far, yeah, the first 5 have been filler. The townie episodes in S1 all pretty much had an underlying purpose, in most cases, it was worldbuilding. We got to see more of Steven's world, learn and speculate a bit and having things to keep us engaged. The latest episodes have been nothing but oddly placed bg character development so it all feels out of place and unwanted. They also aren't really explaining any of these fucking powers Steven has shown to have in them so it's nothing but an establishment of the existance of the power, with no reason to back it up. It's very fucking fan-ficy

Centipeedle one was good. At least they remembered there's a plot or something.

I stopped watching by the end of season 2. It's too bad, I really liked the first season

>They also aren't really explaining any of these fucking powers Steven has shown to have in them so it's nothing but an establishment of the existance of the power, with no reason to back it up. It's very fucking fan-ficy
It's been established pretty consistently that emotional state and interpersonal connection are how Steven manifests and develops powers, nothing has really contradicted that yet.

I'm pretty sure it's just the 11-minute format fucking it up

I'll be honest. This show would be so much better if Steven shat himself.

It would be hilarious.

I mean with the fact he can posess people, travel into people's dreams, and enter the apparently existing 'fusion realm'. Especially with the first two, these just happened out of nowhere in the first couple S3 episodes. It's SO fan-ficy, I mean damn, the only thing he can't do in this show is be a fucking man and actually fight something or actually use HIS sword

The problem, if there is one, is that the show has a story to tell, but, ultimately, the show isn't about the story being told.
It was never about the Homeworld gems, or even the crystal gems, it's not about servicing a plot or giving you all the backstory to the gems and their world, or even the world of the Earth as influenced by the gem.
Like it or not, the show's primary focus is Steven and the stuff he deals with, whether it's "plot" related or "filler".

>I mean damn, the only thing he can't do in this show is be a fucking man and actually fight something or actually use HIS sword
Holy missing the point Batman!

No I'm just going on a tangent. I get he sympathizes with others and 'emotions', whatever, but how does that translate into astral projection?

And WHY do emotions affect his powers? It's not like that with other gems and they have emotions too

>sword
Disgusting phallic symbol of patriarchal oppression and war.

But of course! A maleanon would think everything is solved with violence! UUUUGGGHHH. FUCK. YOU!

Then why don't we have an episode about Steven shitting himself hmmm?

>It's not like that with other gems and they have emotions too
Wasn't Amethyt's struggle to reform properly based on her emotional issues?

No, her self-rejection influenced her not to take the proper time to reform. That was the reason she rushed it, but her rushing it is the reason why she reformed improperly

Jesus Christ this fucker is so white the hood has probably excommunicated him

Honestly no, the show has always been this way and to say its getting worse, would be memeing. Take a look at Season one A. There's some really great episodes like Giant Woman and OCean Gem, but then you have shit episodes like Onion Trae and Arcade Mania, as well as Joking Victim and Cheesburger Backpack. Then after the two parter, two really great episodes, you have arguably one of the worst episodes of the series, House Guest. Then theres space race but afterwards there's a string of mediocre and forgettable episodes until we hit another stride with the test and lion 3. From there its mostly smooth sailing but you still have shit like Horror club and The Message.
The Same could be said for Season 2 and 3, there's alot of really good episodes, but there's also some mediocre ones in the middle. With this show, you never know when an episode is gonna be fantastic or meh.

I think since the show's three years old now and its gotten really popular, people expect a lot more from it, especially since there's really very little good cartoons out right now, but as someone who's been following the show since the pilot, its the same quality its always been.

The specific mechanics of why his powers manifest this way are kind of up in the air; probably safe to assume it's partially because he's a hybrid (with humans being a much more empathetic and emotional species than gems), and partially because of Rose Quartz's own powers, which we haven't really seen much of, but can probably safely assume are pretty exceptional.

The sword is only gonna be wielded when he's Stevonnie, I'd say that's a very safe bet. Steven's whole thing is that he isn't aggressive or offensive in any way, he's entirely a defensive character who would rather avoid physical conflict entirely.

But there's no way they set up Connie getting sword training for no reason.

Oh also I forgot to mention, you might be thinking this cause of the huge influx of filler episodes we just got, but the show has NEVER been good with townie episodes.

Seriously can you name 10 good human episodes?

>Steven's whole thing is that he isn't aggressive or offensive in any way, he's entirely a defensive character who would rather avoid physical conflict entirely.

Good Goy!

You might have that feeling because ALL the cool plot twists have been spoiled.

Could be hypercortisolism.

Looks like moonface

And we're already getting into heavy lore shit, what more do you want, Centipeedle to give you a blow job?

BECAUSE FUCK OFF SHE'S MINE

SU is blatantly a very left leaning, "SJW" influenced show, I don't know what else you'd expect.

I can only thinkg of two off the top of my head that actually added something and had purpose

>Lars and the Cool Kids
>Frybo

Where does Stevonnie get their S1CK DrIfTiNG Sk1lLz? They're just pulling shit out of their asses because they don't know how to carry forward with the actual storyline.

Also, what the fuck? Greg gets $10,000,000 from a fucking jingle? No company would pay that much for a fucking jingle!

This season is just pissing me off in so many ways.

Does an episode have to add something or have purpose to be worthwhile? They can just be enjoyable on their own merits. It's a cartoon, filler is par for course, and not much of the filler has been bad.

This

It's almost like you're watching a cartoon.

Also, Steven was formed because of Rose's will to have a son, and her reason for doing that was to create a loving person who could make connections with humans and gems.

Steven is what he is because Rose made him that way.

>Don't defend yourselves. Let Mohamed fuck your ass.
>Yes, good goy. Good cattle.

>It's just a cartoon, user, don't take it so seriously

Is this a new meme?

Well no, but in a story based cartoon, you want every episode to have purpose and a place somewhere. Something you don't HAVE to watch, is something you shouldn't. If something story-driven has tons of these little hole episdoes that don't need to be filled it is pointless.

This is what I think about when it comes to quality standards in the medium too.

Like, the way I see it, in a series, a movie, whatever, the presentation only has a certain amount of time to present content, and if it is faulting and not making the best of it's time ALL of the time, than it is not being the best it could be. There are certain things, ideas, poses, a bunch of things that the creative mind can make, that haven't been made yet and it's all about finding a way to make interesting fresh things fit together as a whole that makes a show's quality.

So frankly, when I see Show A do what shows B-Z have dones already, the same way but with a different skin, it is pointless filler. Things need to be enjoyable AND have SOME merit in the timeline of the show, so when an episode that could take place ANYTIME with some townies that's never mentioned again is produced, it is a fucking wasted 11 minutes.

>It's wrong to point out bullshit
This whole Summer of Steven bombed, like they've been prophesying it with the whole "Steven Bombs" name brand. The characters just feel off from their established behavior, regarding too little for important things, regarding too major for the smallest thing like a Restaurant they've already financially ruined, and having practical Bi Polar disorder. Animation is feeling like a Late Season one rather than the high animation of "It Could've Been Great". That's what this summer could have been. Great, and it just feels like a let down for fans who have seen their potential, and they're just pulling solid shit out of their ass with warped and highly un realistic (to the shows standards) results of something with Greg's royalties. And at the rate of all that has happened, I may sadly expect that we have Jumped the Shark right at the week of Anime references.

I think a lot of you got way too into the hype when the show was in a big plot focused phase and forgot that all of this is completely fucking normal for SU.

Pointless filler has always been a part of the show. Characters caring about dumb shit for the sake of funny plots has always been part of the show. Huge gaps between plot development has always been part of the show.

You let your expectations get distorted.

Again how long have you watched this show, because it has always been like this. For fucks sake they introduced the ultimate fusion between the three gems at a lame dinner episode. And are you kidding me with "the week of anime references"? This show is nothing but anime references.

I love the show, I've seen every episode like ten plus times so trust me when I say it has not changed at all.

>Greg gets $10,000,000 from a fucking jingle? No company would pay that much for a fucking jingle!
First off we need to establish that you have no idea what you're talking about and would have benefited from just asking it as a question, without adding on that retarded presumption about how selling music works at the end.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty_payment#Music_royalties
It's not a one time payment. Greg received what would be referred to as "performance royalties" based on it being performed on television over the course of a decade or so.

Ok, Becca. If you say so.

Truth.

Between this and the constant spoilers in the general it's pretty much impossible to just talk about the show as it actually is, rather than what fans have hyped it up to be after so many hiatuses.

>we have Jumped the Shark
To be fair, I was looking forward to this. I could tell the show had too many loose ends it would need to tie up and it would probably lose track at sometime. I was hoping it wouldn't be so damn soon, though.

Was the crew just too ambitious?

I'm also curious to wonder if the accaim it got affected the production in any way. Cause you know how back when the horse show became super aware of it's audience and starting making episodes to pander to them? Did this show have anything like that? Maybe not pandering but, how do I put it, it's like they're writing the new episodes around ideas they know they're fans are on about, rather than what the story needs. Like the latest Drift one, what the FUCK was with the hardcore rape-relationship implications? I feel like it was just made to appeal to the tumblr crowd Sugar seems to love, and there is NO fucking reason canonically in the show for any of that shit to have happened-- Steven being so upset and hateful, Connie too. Kevin apparently making the kids 'obsessed' with him when he hasn't been fucking mentioned since his debut...

>Centipeedle didn't make you cry
fuck off bro

>Paid $10,000,000 up front
>by an independent label

>I feel like it was just made to appeal to the tumblr crowd Sugar seems to love
Did you miss the part where a huge portion of the episodes are like this? SU is very blatantly a show pushing feminist values, it's been that way from the beginning.

>Hey guys, we want kids to realise Greg is really rich!
>Put seven zeroes on there, that'll drive the point home
That's all it is. I really doubt the crew put much thought into it at all, it's a big number to show Greg is rich and will be for the forseeable future, that's it.

After the cluster was handled, there was really nothing to do. There really isn't any reason for homeworld to even care about earth anymore. They sent a ship of braindeads to find Jasper. For all they care, the whole place could be space debris, it might not be. They knew about the cluster and pretty much said fuck it. Homeworld gives no shits about shit that isn't going to expand their reach and Earth has been written off as an acceptable loss along with everyone on it, their own people included.

>up front
It's a decade after the fact you shitposting loon.

>blatantly a show pushing feminist values, it's been that way from the beginning.
I disagree. I mean I saw it coming from the beginning, but it was WAAAY more subtle in Season 1. It's just too fucking blatant now. I mean it doesn't even disguise itself as a basic family kids' show now.

The episodes you're seeing now were made a year ago with concepts from 2014.

I still firmly believe that the combination of a lack of good cartoons airing along with unreasonable expectations for a kids show is what's leading you to think the shows worse than it actually is. It's the same show it's always been and it's not going to suddenly increase in quality just because it's much more popular than it was two years ago.

FunFact: That hand is mentioned in the latest Star Trek movie.

There's no real threat anymore and some of the threat's that have been handled before have been lackluster.

Alone together was hardly what I'd call subtle.

Yellow Diamond clearly has a bone to pick, she'll totally be sending something to destroy earth.

I'm not sure if this applies to OP but I think the reason the story seems underwhelming right now is because of the spoilers. Nothing is really a surprise anymore. Also the plot goes so slowly that usually the fan base can predict it before it's revealed.

>isnt me or has Steven universe gotten pretty weak storywise

You say that like it was ever strong.

Personally I think Sup Forums has unreasonably high expectations for children's entertainment that they have to pick apart every little thing they don't like about an episode. Like the gravity falls ending which was perfectly serviceable but received endless threads bitching about how awful it was when in reality it was ok.

Still nowhere near as bad as adventure time and regular show have been in the past.

Thank God there's no idiotic love issues........for steven.

This, man. It's fine to have standards but Sup Forums really goes overboard - Everyone here says they're being objective but they don't realize how much they're not. They pick apart every single detail and never step back to look at the big picture or think of it in the eyes of someone who DOESN'T spend all of their time on Sup Forums.

That could have been sent along with the Jasper rescue crew. I feel like there are these rules for writing the diamonds and they wrote stories that simply don't involve the diamonds giving a shit. They're sending skeleton crews like Jasper the guard, Peridot the techie, and Lapus the guide to deal with things on a planet I'm sure they understand is still being protected by the Crystal Gems. Then there's the dumb as rock rubies they sent to look for Jasper. The Yellow diamond might not like the Crystal Gems, but considering their power I'm sure they have more than enough shit to deal with.

It was more subtle than fucking 'Drift. In Alone Together, you could account all of what happens in it to the fact that it basically is two kids entering a more mature setting they don't belong in disguised as if they do. Of course it would be uncomfortable.

I get what you're saying though, and I can see it that way too. As in it does seem as some bullshit rape culture projecting if you look at it like that. That's the difference though, the episode didn't provide anything for us to see it like that directly, like I said, it could have just been uncomfortable just because of an age difference and understanding.

But yeah, the creator of this show and fucking gender politics... That's the fucking problem. If she could throw that shit out and just tell a story without having this agenda directing it, it could be great, I mean there's clearly a love and care for lots of thing animation and story-telling here, but this fucking feminist shit, like always ruins everything

This. People here are never fucking satisfied. Even if they like an episode, they have to find SOMETHING that they didn't like about it.

That'd be boring though. Realistic, but boring. They're not going to set up the diamonds as these big evil villains and not capitalise on that, let's be realistic.

>isn't me or has Steven universe gotten pretty weak storywise
>itsn't me
How.

The show's trying to teach lessons about interpersonal relationships to children, that's kind of the core point of the show. You're not the target audience.

Steve Urkel ate too much cheese.

why would you watch tumblr the show? seriously.

disgusting.

(YOU)

>The show's trying to teach lessons about interpersonal relationships to children
No? It's trying to tell a story? What the fuck makes you think anything in this show is educational at all? Magic

You're very dense if you haven't picked up on the very heavy handed metaphors this show employs practically every second episode.

"LEEPEST DORE" idiots need to die.

This shows strongest point has always been characterization, relationships and Steven's development. Stop calling everything that isn't a lore dump a "filler".

That was never the point.

Wonder if he enjoys being cucked by white lesbians.

>Decade after the fact

If the worth of an episode is a heavy handed moral lesson, it fails as a work of art. It's one of the reasons why so many kids shows just suck.

That is one nerdy nigga

> It's a "Sup Forums hates SU because they aired more than one townie episode in a row" episode

We literally just got a lore episode today, we're getting a plot episode tomorrow and maybe Friday, and after that it's two straight weeks of episodes so plot focused that Matt begged us to not watch the leaks for them.

We got into this knowing we'd have a string of townie episodes to make up for how plot focused we were getting during Peridempion, and yet you act like this is surprising.

Not that user, but Marty was 14 years younger in the commercial.

Stop looking to children's cartoons for art then, you manchild.

>Steven Univesre Story Writers (people involved in the pre-boarding writing, often having a level of overviewing things when episodes are being boarded)
>Executive Producer Rebecca Sugar
every episode so far
>Supervising Director/Co-Executive Producer Ian JQ
every episode until he left (which for the pre-boarding writing translates to upcoming season finale or possibly early next season)
>Storyboard Supervisor/Supervising Director Kat Morris
every episode so far
>Supervising Director Joe Johnston
every episode in the pre-outline writing stages after he became director (whatever it is it hasn't aired yet)
>Story Editor Matt Burnett
every episode so far
>Story Editor/Song Writer Ben Levin
every episode so far
>Lead Character Designer Danny Hynes
Open Book

No, I get that they're trying to cram in their agenda here and there and call it morals, but Sugar has stated it's a 'coming of age story,' and likes to go on about how she wants to improve as a storyteller. This show is story-driven as fuck. No one would still be watching if it was all townie filler shit about normal humans.

I mean if you see the confusing presentation of relationships and 'lessons' as metaphor for children, that's your thing, but, no one making this show is thinking about the children in the sense of what's best for them. IF they are considering younger audiences it's JUST to instill in them that being gay is okay. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when it becomes the focus fucking moral of the show, it makes for bad redundant entertainment.

That isn't the only worth of the episodes with moral lessons though. They pretty much all drive character development and present an interesting enough story, considering the short format.

You might be expecting too much of a cartoon made for children if you're complaining about artistic merit though dude, try to remember what you're watching.

Leepest Dorefags will ALWAYS want every Ep to be a plot dump survey of Homeworld, the war, and Daimond hierarchy.

The same idiots that pressured adventure time to stop playing around and give us artsy-fartzy explanations for everything.

It's funny how everyone bitches about townie filler but no one bitched about all the corrupted gem filler in the earlier episodes. It's almost like it's not filler you guys have a problem with at all.

This show for faggots is still going?

Sad, ain't it.

Considering they plowed through the Cluster at breakneck speed I'm glad they slowed down a bit.

That being said the rest of the episodes this month seem to full-on plot-related.

You guys always forget you're watching kids cartoons when you get dissappinted that it doesn't live up to expectations. And yes, "it's a kids show" is a legitimate excuse to an extent. They have to simplify things in order to make it easier to graspe to a younger audience. Even Avatar, the "greatest cartoon of all time" did this a lot. SU is fine for what it does and I have nothing but respect for sugar for making a show that's she's always dreamed of making. Plus I kinda give her slack for this being her first show, it's a kids show and its eleven minutes, so there's a lot of restrictions at place here.