How Black Panther solves the problem of M'Baku (Don't Call Him Man-Ape)

>M’Baku is trouble for Black Panther. He’s the ruler of the Wakanda’s mountain tribe and has serious issues with how T’Challa is fulfilling his role as the nation’s new king.

>But M’Baku was also a potential problem for Black Panther the movie.

>That’s because the comic-book version of this villain, who first appeared in Avengers #62 in March 1969, encased himself in white fur and attacked the hero under the moniker “Man-Ape.”

>Rather than abandon one of Black Panther’s most famous antagonists, Marvel Studios decided to rescue M’Baku. The character is a hard-bitten, ruthless warrior, but as played by actor Winston Duke (Person of Interest) he also has dignity and strength. Not that this makes him a nice guy.

>And in a fictional culture where leaders take on the symbols of native animals (like the panther), his tribe’s affinity for the gorilla is regarded as something noble — not cringeworthy.

>Still, the filmmakers felt that “Man-Ape” would never be an easy name for newcomers to accept.

>“We don’t call him Man-Ape,” executive producer Nate Moore told EW during our set visit. “We do call him M’Baku.”

>The problem was self-evident. “Having a black character dress up as an ape, I think there’s a lot of racial implications that don’t sit well, if done wrong,” said Moore. “But the idea that they worship the gorilla gods is interesting because it’s a movie about the Black Panther who, himself, is a sort of deity in his own right.”

>So he’s still adorned with elements of fur on his arms and legs and sports a chest-plate that hints at the animal that is symbolic of his tribe. But he doesn’t wear the full gorilla mask that, in the comics, often made him literally look like that creature.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HXguYwKGjrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Director Ryan Coogler and his co-writer Joe Robert Cole (American Crime Story) borrowed some inspiration for the character from Marvel scribe Christopher Priest, who had an acclaimed 1998-2003 run on the Black Panther series.

>“You learn that M’Baku is essentially the head of the religious minority in Wakanda and we thought that was interesting,” Moore said. “Wakanda is not a monolithic place. They have a lot of different factions.”

>In Priest’s story line, M’Baku was enraged that his White Gorilla cult was outlawed, leading to a clash with the Panther. The character’s exact role in the film is still being kept under wraps, but the filmmakers confirm that M’Baku and his Jabari tribe are, once again, not happy with the young, new ruler (played by Chadwick Boseman).

>“A lot of the writers who did some of the most interesting work around the character, they treated Wakanda like a truly African country,” Coogler said. “When you go to countries in Africa, you’ll find several tribes, who speak their own languages, have their own culture, and have distinct food and way of dress. They live amongst each other, and together they make the identity of those countries. That’s something we tried to capture. We wanted it to feel like a country, as opposed to just one city or town.”

>implying he needs the mask

Works for me.

>“Having a black character dress up as an ape, I think there’s a lot of racial implications that don’t sit well, if done wrong,”

Disney is so fucking stupid

tbqh there would be endless jokes about man ape's name...

It's just too easy of a target

Sho enuff! No need for a gorilla mask when you're already a total nigger.

Why are niggers so upset about looking like apes? They can't help it or change it, why not embrace it and brand it like racial slurs and stereotypes?

I don't mind and neither do the white girls I creampie

Black Manta is a nigger too but they didn't change his name to pander to a bunch of delicate flowers.

>My favorite character is He-Boon
you know it

There isn't a history of denigrating black people by likening them to rays.

Wouldn't him being "a hard-bitten, ruthless warrior" with "his tribe’s affinity for the gorilla is regarded as something noble" solve the problem of the silly sounding name? Also since when is Marvel pandering to people who would make jokes like that.

This is both pathetic and kinda actually racist. For one I think the average black person would know the difference between a black character taking on the moniker of a bad ass gorilla and "hurrr durrr dem black folk are monkeys" and second the average black person has thicker skin than to break down because of something like this. I can think of at least a few rappers who compare themselves to apes or gorillas in their songs.

>having to change a character's name because dumb americans and dumb american niggers can't comprehend different cultures

BIX NOOD GIBS ME DAT MUHFUGGENS BE CALLING MUH NIGGA A MONKEY WAT DA FUCK

Next up they'll need to call this guy Manta of Color.

Gorilla Zoe and Gucci mane to name a few

>the average black person has thicker skin
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>For one I think the average black person would know the difference
No

I don't understand, Europeans also lived in huts but we didn't put a log cabin on top of the Chrysler Building.

>Man Ape

Don't call him that.

Not to mention Black Manta has a nice ring to it, and he wears a mask 99% of the time. You wouldn't even know he was black.
Man-Ape just sounds ridiculous.

They're pushing a movie called BLACK PANTHER as the most important superhero movie of all time. Nothing political there?

>wonder why he didn't get the role
>google him
>he's dead
oh...

To be fair to blacks, BLM are SJWs.

>i dont know any black people IRL: the post

We all feel the pain of MCD to this day. Truly a legend.

>Hey Arthur, how's the wife and kid?

The people who would complain about it the most are white liberal women

Too soon boss. . .

It would be pretty ballin' though

how its it getting pushed as the most important?
infinity war is the hyped up one.
Plus apekino and dunkirk are also getting hyped up more

Faggots who post on twittergrams are not the average person user.

how many pretty white girls are going to get BLACKED in this movie?

You do know that the character predated the party by months.

They tried to rename him throughout the decades to names like Black Leopard or just Panther but everyone didn't buy into the new names so they just stuck with Black Panther

Hmmmm

Why is a black man dressing as an ape a self-evident problem?

What do they mean?

I'm not quite sure I understand.

Why are blacks so thin skinned? I'm expecting some JaMarcus shooting a white guy at a screening.

Why would you name yourself after gorillas, they're completely nonviolent unless attacked

That is the shittiest arrow placement I have seen on an image

Take that up with the Disney and Entertainment Weekly.

I don't understand, if the character was completely badass no one would make fun of him.

That's because you are not a racist. Up is down and down is up. Liberals are pushing for segregation of all races and war against Russia.

Is that nick cannon?

If so lmfao

>muh baku

Not even the same thing fucking faggot ass retard

>“We don’t call him Man-Ape,” executive producer Nate Moore told EW during our set visit. “We do call him Di'Ndu.”

Big hint: they're not doing this for black people

Why are neckbeards so triggered by kids film?

>implying based wans would do that

oh so comic fans and people that know the character will still call him man ape.

This. No big deal.

I've never encountered ONE single Man-Ape fan anyway.

The comic predates the party

Sounds like a fucking train wreck.

Does the black panther story ever explain how everywhere in Africa is a shithole but wakanda is the most advanced place on earth?

Surely millions of Ugandans, Nigerians, southafricans etc. Would have tried to emigrate there. Are the wakandans jingoists?

>oh so comic fans and people that know the character will still call him man ape.
So literally no one

"Have I ever told you about the M'Baka?"

youtube.com/watch?v=HXguYwKGjrg

They put walls to avoid those poorfags from coming in with the excuse of "they are to protect our resources from whitey"

Wakandians isolated themselves away from the rest of Africa after decades of war and invasions. They fought them back, built borders/walls, and refused to aid them after the white colonizes came.
That was part of the storyline for why the Black Panther's Father was at the UN meeting in Cap America Civil War, after the events of Ultron they decided to they needed to stop being isolationists.

Wakandas found the worlds only source of onubtanium, the shit they made captain americas shield off and other unbreakable stuff. For some reason this made them incredibly wealthy, even though nobody would be able to actually mine and process that kind of material until the 20th century. Also they don't sell it but are still extremely rich. shit's full of plot holes.

The reason they have a wall around the country and don't give a shit about other niggers is that the kings sacred duty is to protect his own people, the wakandians, not everyone else which sounds reasonable.

I hope the movie deals with religious persecution/freedom and fundamentalism. The White Gorilla cult might represent conservative Christianity, or radical Islam, and Black Panther is a moderate or something.

no thats Apollo creed's son. aka michael b jordan

>don't give a shit about other niggers is that the kings sacred duty is to protect his own people
Well. That is why so many Kingdoms sold their enemies to to the Spanish and Muslim slavers.

What about this ray?

>implying Sup Forums wouldn't chimp out and call them racists if they kept the man ape name and accuse libshits of being closet racists.

What's the problem with Man-Ape? or Gorilla-Man?

>Most beloved
>the filmmakers felt that “Man-Ape” would never be an easy name for newcomers to accept.
How can be most beloved if people don't know shit about his history and rogue gallery? Wait, can you call a group of black foes rogues? oh shit can you call black evildoers foes? damn, can you say black people can do evil?

Is this a movie, says prop of (((Disney))), but can't find out more/

I think there's going to be a scene where Klaw tells him "you filthy MAN-APE!" just so the audience hates him more because le white racist.