FUCK YOU ALL: Frank Darabont's Furious Emails to his Walking Dead Coworkers

>The Walking Dead’s original showrunner Frank Darabont continues to paint a bizarre (and vulgar) picture about the first two seasons of the show, as his $280-million legal fight against AMC has unveiled thousands of documents and emails from his time on set. In short, he was pissed.

>“YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE MOTHERFUCKING SCRIPT!”

>A few years ago, Darabont and his agents filed a lawsuit against AMC saying he should’ve been paid, in full, for the second season of The Walking Dead—even though he was fired in the middle of it. He also claims he didn’t get his rightful percentage of licensing fees because the production studio licensed the show to the network at an obscenely low rate—on purpose, he adds—so people like him wouldn’t get the money they were owed.
[Cont...]

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/walking-dead-lawsuit-spills-obscene-emails-tales-greed-tvs-billion-dollar-hit-1020061
youtube.com/watch?v=KPxTVJWkbX4
youtube.com/watch?v=FBFj6PNnjIo
youtube.com/watch?v=bDvwH1WS4UU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>One of the biggest conflicts behind the scenes of The Walking Dead was AMC’s decision to cut the budget by almost half a million dollars per episode between seasons one and two. Darabont’s solution, which was to film the whole season in one location, the infamous farmhouse, created problems and resulted in arguably the series’ worst season. Darabont became overwhelmed, struggling to create more with less (plus, AMC demanded to see all the scripts ahead of time), and it showed in his behavior toward the team. Here’s an email to executive producer Gale Anne Hurd and others from June 2011, one month before he was fired:

>Fuck you all for giving me chest pains because of the staggering fucking incompetence, blindness to the important beats, and the beyond-arrogant lack of regard for what is written being exhibited on set every day. I deserve better than a heart attack because people are too stupid to read a script and understand the words. Does anybody disagree with me? Then join the C-cam operator and go find another job that doesn’t involve deliberately fucking up my show scene by scene.

>This email supports the earlier rumors that Darabont became difficult to work with, along with several other messages that contain just as many profanities toward dozens more behind-the-scenes crew members: camera operators (“Ray Charles could operate better”), an episode director (“It’s like we yanked some kid with no experience out of high school and put her in charge”), and even his writing staff, as shown in a particularly tense email to an AMC executive.

>Please let’s stop invoking ‘the writers room’ ... There IS no writers room, which you know as well as I do. I am the writers room. The fucking lazy assholes who were supposedly going to be my showrunners threw that responsibility on me after wasting five months of my time.

>AMC’s lawyer has argued that these emails, as well as his overall behavior on set, were part of the reason why he was fired in July 2011—along with “his failure to timely deliver scripts .... [and] adequately supervise the writers’ room.” Well, we already know how he felt about the writers room, but do we know whether Darabont regret his volatile attitude during his time on The Walking Dead? According to his affidavit, kinda-sorta-maybe... but also nope.

>Each of these emails was sent because a ‘professional’ showed up whose laziness, indifference, or incompetence threatened to sink the ship of production and added unfair and unnecessary burden to their colleagues in the cast and crew… My tone was the result of the stress and magnitude of this extraordinary crisis. The language and hyperbole of my emails were harsh, but so were the circumstances. As for the enormous problems they describe, I stand by these emails to the last detail.

hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/walking-dead-lawsuit-spills-obscene-emails-tales-greed-tvs-billion-dollar-hit-1020061

>I am the writer's room.

>According to the court papers, the license fees for Mad Men started out at $1.85 million per episode, Breaking Bad at $1.75 million, and Better Call Saul (a Breaking Bad spinoff) at $2.5 million, with negotiated bumps for subsequent seasons. By the end of its run, Mad Men, for example, would contribute about $4 million per episode to Lionsgate's coffers.

I stopped watching it during s2 does it actually get better

no

it gets worse and worse

s1 is the only good season

Not really, no. If anything, the show gets stupider and cheaper.

Season 1 is the best season by far, it only gets worse, I lasted until some point in season 5.

Yes
youtube.com/watch?v=KPxTVJWkbX4

>I am the writer's room.

what the fuck... wow
also why cant the zombies just sort of tumble over that railing, it's like 3.5 ft

So Darabont was actually right and AMC gave him a bunch of film-school amateurs to make a TV show with.

Yeah, and now it looks like they're trying to make him look bad to hide their own incompetence.

You just don't understand man
youtube.com/watch?v=FBFj6PNnjIo

>It’s like we yanked some kid with no experience out of high school and put her in charge
>her
Found the problem

I dropped after the cliff hanger in season 6 or 5, whenever they almost Lucilled someone.
In other news, the comics are infinitely better

lol fuck no it gets worse

You tell me
youtube.com/watch?v=bDvwH1WS4UU

I AM the motherfucking writer's room, motherfucker!

>Ray Charles could operate better
Darabont's got some good bants

Jesus Christ how can the emails be more right?.

He predicted the show downfall.

Yes, how fucking sad.
Imagine what could have been if he stayed.

I mean the emails at least show he cared.

Well not really. Also season seven is worst season. Just meh.

But I still watch it. Not paying any penny to it, but fuck it. It's monday bears and TWD.

And yes. You have to be drunk to watch it.

The comics are still bad though.

You guys are a bunch of masochists. I jumped ship about 4 episodes into season 3. It was very clear by that point that the ship had sunk.

It got WAY better in early season 3 then slowed down again and it's been constantly up and down since

>most popular cable series in history
>downfall

The first half of season 3 was like the best run the show has ever had. I think you're remembering things wrong.

It's obvious he was referring to the quality of the show.

>And yes. You have to be drunk to watch it.
This is true. Being drunk was the only thing that got me through this series.

I honestly cannot grasp the dogshit that is this show and it's brain-dead fans.

Literally, the only good episode was the very first one.

Nope. In season 3 the show devolved into a silly live-action cartoon.

17 million people would disagree with him about that.

based Darabont

gr8 b8

17 million normies.

17 million people with shit fucking taste.

FYI this guy directed Shawshank Redemption and The Mist.

Kino director

Nah bro it's shit especially seasons 3-6! By the way check out Better Call Saul! Bravo Vince!

Season 1 was cheesy dogshit besides the first episode. The show got better when Mazzera and Gimple ran things.

>CALL OF DUTY IS FUCKING TITS, MAN

>I don't like anything a lot of people like
Sure I believe you, Frank

>arguably the series worst season

is this what casuals actually believe? holy fuck.

see

>problems compositing onto a still image

that's pure fucking incompetence

>does it actually get better

No.

It got horribly worse, and downright stupid. It's as if they gave the writing, production, and directing duties to a junior high AV club.

Season 1 was the only decent season.