Directors BOWING down to NOLAN - DUNKINO!!!!!!!

twitter.com/edgarwright/status/885547118223515648

twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/885554479449243648

Other urls found in this thread:

alumnus.caltech.edu/~ejohnson/critics/white.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>nolan helping to kill the mouse
BASED

>it's feels like a war movie you'd discover on TCM at 2 am

So it feels like a movie I'd be watching when I'm half awake and have jack shit else to do?

I really don't care about the opinions of Disney puppets

Nolan confirmed kino by digits

>wright
>disney puppet

Is this the same director who did The Plane Scene? I love his work.

Ant man? Wright?

GTFO

Looks pretty fucking generic judging by the trailers

>Edgar Wright
>Disney puppet

You fucked up m8

I don't trust Rian Johnson. As for the other guy, I don't even care. Why is everyone talking about Baby Driver? It's only $34 million budget. Who's behind the hype, who produced this?

He did a few little known movies before that but yeah that's considered his Magnum Opus

>dishonest films, dishonest tweets

>

>based nolan killing spidey
lol

WHAT WILL THE LEGEND SAY NEXT

APOLOGIZE

uno retardo @84916243

>Disney puppets
The guy was fired by Disney because he had too much artistic integrity. This is the same guy who did all those movies with Simon Pegg. Well, too much artistic integrity

Reminder that the plane scene is getting a sequel

HYPE

What does the budget have to do with anything?

t.readfag only watches blockbusters with >$100million budget

>The film made extensive use of practical effects such as employing 6,000 extras, assembling boats that had participated in the real Dunkirk evacuation, and using genuine era-appropriate planes for aerial sequences.

>Disney shill mad that a shitty reboot is underperforming and rambling about budgets
Everyday only on your best Sup Forums boards

>> NEW >>
>> NEW >>
>> NEW >>

>>
>>>>
>

The guy has made

>Spaced, a cult British TV show
>Shaun of the Dead, 92% on RT, a 30 million gross from a 6 million budget, regarded as one of the best zombie films ever
>Hot Fuzz, 91% on RT, a 80 million gross from a 12 million budget, regarded as one of the best action-comedies ever
>Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 81% on RT, box office flop, became a cult classic
>The World's End, 89% on RT, a 46 million gross from a 20 million budget, regarded as one of the best apocalypse films ever

He's a well liked, successful filmmaker with an unique brand, that's why people talk about his films. That's also why there are still regular threads about The Neon Demon even though it was released a year ago, was made for 7 million, grossed only 3 million and got assraped by the critics - auteur directors matter.

Bravo Nolan!

If Dunkirk is bad:
>Christopher Nolan reaches heights of action and drama that can almost be matched with Michael Bay's or Zach Snyder's best work
If Dunkirk is good:
>Christopher Nolan once again produces an obvious millennial-bait flick that pales in comparison to the best war film of all time, The Great Wall.

what will his review be?

>implying he won't compare it to Hacksaw Ridge with how sterile the violence inevitably will be

>Ignorant and proud

Is he just Denzel Washington in disguise?

in for Sup Forums finally bending the knee to Nolan.

That is Denzel in the pic, not Armond

He will call it racists for no blacks being at Dunkirk

Armond also acts under a pen name you goof

>Rian Johnson hasn't made a single good movie
>people take him at all seriously

Looper was okay and I've heard brick is really good if you like noir with a twist. I'm more confused by his tweet, was it meant to be a compliment or what?

b8?

It's obvious why. He's making muh star warrrrs! I can't wait to suck his dick for copying Empire Strikes Back!

I approve

Different user but that does look more like a pic of Denzel than armond but it doesn't really look 100% like either of them. It's like someone used that app where you can morph two photos together and then shooped it there.

A garbage meme flick praised by entry level /r/movie buffs

He's saying it has a "classic feel" like an old war movie you'd find on Tuner Classic Movies (A channel that basically runs older movies 24/7)

But given Nolan's track record I expect the writing, the action and the editing to be just as garbage as always and extremely watered-down and impact-less violence. So normal folk will probably suck its dick like that mediocrity that was Interstellar.

Anti-Disney shill detected

We've yet to hear a single negative comment/review about Dunkirk.
Actually, we've yet to hear anything else but extreme praise for it from all sides.

Pleb hasn't watched Brick or Brekaing Bad Ozymandis epsiode

>what is a review embargo aside from hand-picked shill """critics""" whose knowledge of film ends at 80s action and horror

name ONE actual BAD film nolan has made

>he's using breaking bad as an example of something "good"

You fucking gimp

I'm talking about that specific episode he directed you dumb cunt.

Memento, The Prestige, Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Interstellar, Insomnia, The Dark Knight

Every single one of those is at the very least average, bad bait

>le armond is a contrarian meme
He liked Baby Driver shill, I'm sorry he hates all those awful disney flicks, they should try to buy him again

Nolan is a literal tv-tier director with pretensions of artistic importance and scale and ineptitude in all things cinematic and written

whoa epic dude!

All those movies are better than anything Disney or Sony have made in this century

>with pretensions of artistic importance
Interesting. How did you come up with that?
Also, The Prestige and Memento are good movies. The Dark Knight was mostly good. Others vary from mediocre to ok-tier.

>Nolan is a literal tv-tier director
How's that? What is television like in any of his work?

this is very accurate

>a big budget film that isn't an original story
>jews
>dehumanizing and anonymizing the characters, furthering the audience from the characters, making their deaths careless and emotionless
>focus on just setpieces
>a faceless inhuman antagonist
>outright admitting he doesn't give a shit about humans

Nolan is an absolute fucking robot autist and so was this user and anyone who likes Nolan

viral marketers leave

Seriously, kys

Watch any of his interviews during the production of the Dark Knight trilogy and also his interviews on Tree of Life and Side by Side. The man thinks he's the new Lang and insists Malick's aesthetic influence on him and how his narratives have developed while still being an entirely plot-driven director with no real aesthetic (unless you count switching from widescreen to imax periodically an aesthetic) and generally being an uninteresting middlebrow filmmaker

But because he made a consumable inoffensive capeshit saga he gets praise

So Nolan is basically Kubrick?

Really you're going to defend The Dark Knight Rises?

t. letterbox poster

I don't care what he thinks, we are talking about his movies not what he maybe said in an interview once.
Sure most of them are overpraised, but fact is that all of them are atleast average films, not outright bad.

B R A V O N O L A N ! ! !

R

A

V

O

N

O

L

A

N

!

!

!

Why doesn't he wear the mask?

>I have to know background about someone to empathize
>but Nolan is the autist, I swear

Yes TDKR is not completely bad.
It has poor writing and close combat choreography, but the set pieces are still impressive, the production design also, cinematography, soundtrack, costume design, sound design all pretty decent.
I'd say realistically a 6/10.

More like maintaining friendships with their famous filmmaker friends

/thread

How will contrarians and Marvel shills EVER recover from this Sup Forums?

Without any of the sense of framing, editing or set design or picking a half-decent screenplay
>said in an interview once
>once
The person has to actually be a person and not just some other anonymous casualty to inspire empathy
Why do you think no one gives a shit about the thousands of faceless enemy goons that get slaughtered in mainstream action movies? Because they're anonymous, they're not humanized.

Look at Peckinpah, he got a huge reaction from people by showing that when you shoot someone they do indeed bleed and suffer. Yet with Nolan's track record of bloodless distant violence, I see no possibility of this movie being impactful at all except to pseuds and people who've never seen good movies.

BRAVO NOLAN

>Without any of the sense of framing
Please post a single badly framed shot from any Nolan movie.
Are you implying that Hoytema or Pfister can't frame or compose a shot?

>The person has to actually be a person and not just some other anonymous casualty to inspire empathy

You're expecting the movie to go from one character to another in rapid succession. I'm sure that's not the case. I'm sure the film will show the same people over and over, some of them will die, some of them will live.

>Nolan's track record of bloodless distant violence

Now there's a decent argument. I agree that violence was lackluster, too clinical in Nolan's Batman films. But I'll give you Inception as a counter example. There was a lot of detail and tension to some of the fights in that. I don't think any movie Nolan has made really called for the kind of (realistic) violence you're talking about. Batman is a cartoon at the end of the day.

Imagine being this jaded

*Armonds Your Path*

Imagine thinking Nolan is a good director

>plebs actually doubting Nolan

>doubting Nolans genius
it must be hard living life as a brainlet

Even a good cinematographer is wasted if the director doesn't know how to compose a shot.

All of Nolan's movies, outside of the big special effect setpieces, look like television sets. With a complete disregard for dramatic lighting, shot in a completely flat or overhead angle, and absolutely no coordination in color aside from "Make it steel blue". Here's a movie with an actually competent visual director. That was shot on digital. So double-fuck Nolan for insisting that just shooting on film makes his movies look better. It doesn't, because he's an inept aesthete.
Even the violence in Inception is completely without impact or grit to it. Same with his Insomnia remake. Memento is the only thing that came close to being at all gritty, but that was mostly because of the fucked up situation moreso than the depiction of violence. His movies at their best have sort of adventure-film tier violence, and at their worst absolutely do not care about it.

>Dunkirk is the most insipid attempt at making war somber since the melodramatic soap opera of Saving Private Ryan. Director Christopher Nolan tries, and fails, to invoke filmmaking practices of Wolfgang Peterson and the result is nothing more than the film version of a monkey miming the actions of a street performer.

>muh empty "pretty" constant golden hour lighting as an example of good cinematography
Opinion discarded.

Armond picked SPR as his movie of the year that year you fucking dunce
alumnus.caltech.edu/~ejohnson/critics/white.html

>1998

I think we were all plebs 20 years ago. My tastes have become vastly superior since then.

Can you believe I actually LIKED Scorsese?

Dramatic lighting and color coordination is unironically dying out because of the influx of directors coming from directing television shows into directing major motion pictures.
He hasn't made a good movie since Bringing Out the Dead

>Discover on TCM at 2 a.m.
What does that fucking mean?

I think, if you are watching the new Twin Peaks, one of the most incredible parts of the show, that I believe is overlooked is the absolute command David Lynch has over lighting. It's the kind of thing you really don't see in television and even contemporary film anymore.

It's almost sad how the art of being good at lighting is a scene is a dying art.

He's attempting to describe an emotion that doesn't have an easily identifiable name. I understand what he's getting at

David Lynch is great because he's still a stylist instead of these talentless (realism) directors. But even directors who focus on realism can still be good Dennis Villenueve

He means the movie is like Das Boot.

Das Boot is that movie you find on TCM at 2 in the morning. Filmmaking that isn't afraid to just show soldiers/people doing what they do without need for dialogue/montage/soundtrack

go back to /lbg/ you pretentious queers