Pretentious garbage

Let's talk about films that pretend to be deep but are actually not

Hey here's a better topic, which films pretend to be deep and actually are?

Forest Whitaker is the GOAT.

Drive

>pretend to be deep
What do you mean by this, anonymous? Hardmode: avoid 'pretentious,' 'tryhard' and 'pseudo'

It's a pseudo intelligent, tryhard, pretentious piece of hot garbage

idk deep is very subjective. Like Malick's films have meaning very simply put and very surface level but that doesn't make them bad films

posting sci-fi is cheating, that's basically their thing

Everything by this nigger.

What kind of poster is this? Looks like a Kidz Bop album cover

Arrival is Edge of Tomorrow, but instead of action scenes you get a sappy drama

Casablanca is Scary Movie 4 but instead of jokes you get dialog.

I thought Edge of Tomorrow was pretty kino

but Edge of Tomorrow was actually good

1000 times this

>global effort to confront alien threat
>aliens giving humans time travel as a premise.
>main character given time travel abilities without their knowledge
>the two leads fall in love, but the main character is hiding knowledge gained from time travel
>both are resolved by completing the time loop

Everyone talks about movies being deep, but I think a good movie has layers of depth at every level, like a swimming pool.

That's the point

>he does not know about slaughterhouse 5
How does it feel to be a pleb OP.

Except there is no loop, nobody is given time travel powers, and you're an idiot.

Anything by harmony korine, specifically trash humpers

you are a retard. those 2 are completely different movies.
arrival doesn't even have time travel.

>The Abyss.

Look at my shit! look at my shit! look at all my fucking shit! look at my shit!

Arrival was garbage

Amy Adams can see time in a nonlinear way aka time power.
The time loop was the Chinese general who told her his wife's dying words which she used in the past to change his mind

We need to go deeper.

Fuck you, I prefer this "pretentious" movie than the average superheroes movies

Then it wouldn't be pretending

It was a 6/10 at best

Maybe nolan is more your speed.

Now you can have both

>arrival doesn't even have time travel.
So you didn't watch it?

They advertise themselves as deep when in fact they are shallow

Source: God

The film acts like it is smart until the last act at which point the writers realise they aren't as smart as they thought and can't think of a way to end the movie so they turn is into capeshit

Why watch nolan when I have cruisekino

Idk, I'm still scarred from the new spiderman movie

>muh cis male introvert aryan(like me :))))) )
>such good 10/10

>The film acts like it is smart
What did you mean by this, anonymous? Because like 'pretends to be deep,' it's a nebulous statement.

I'm not him but he is right. Just because you go with a deterministic approach (aka everything is fixed anyways thus you can go back and forth in time as you please) doesn't solve the problem that you still have information from a different point in time influencing another point which is a prerequisite for transferring the information in the first place.

You can't pull yourself up in the air by your own collar.

Also although the determinism is correct, time does actually move forward only because of entropy.

Did it pretend to be deep? It was just a movie driven (!) by aesthethics and it delivered in that front. That's all.

kek

>paying to watch capeshit
Do Americans really do this?

I didn't realize the first part where her daughter dies is AFTER the whole aliens thing until the third time I saw it.

Not really. There's really nothing pretentious about his films. They might even be better if that were the case.

I don't care buddy

Tarantino movies are a lot of things, but pretentious isn't one of them

The film definitely thought it was smarter than it was, but props to them for actually trying something different. I'd much rather have a lot of slightly pretentious but ultimately interesting and original films like this than the endless stream of sci-fi lite and capeshit garbage we actually get.

>Films that pretend to be deep but aren't
Basically Villenueve's, Inarritu's, McQueen's, and Nolan's entire oeuvres. Easily the biggest hack-frauds of modern flick-making.

This

People are still talking about it again now. It was actually memorable as opposed to 99% of other movies.

I hate her face

Wrong.

Name one flaw in the movie.

Nope. His post-2000 movies are trash, but they aren't trash because they fail at attempting to be "deep."

>pretend to be deep

Why are people proud to be stupid?

This is you

I'm sure Arrival felt like it was trying to be smart and that made you feel angry. That's what it happens when you're an idiot and try to watch something intellectually stimulating.

>instant reply

I get you're baiting but you are straight up saying that you're too stupid to understand a movie with a theme. Way to reinforce the shitposting attitude of other retards, clearly not enjoying something that can be discussed means you relieve yourself of having to actually develop an opinion.

Oh look, more people too stupid to understand a simple premise. Maybe stick with Star Wars.

>DEEP
>BLUE
>DEEPBLUE
>MUH TROOF IZ LIKAHSHARRKSFIN
the only thing I remember about this movie is Sam Jackson on the commentary track pretty much saying "fuck y'all... Im out" and leaving the comentary after he dies. and that awful LL Cool J theme song.
Never realized renny harlin directed it, which makes sense because who the fuck remembers renny harlin?

In what way was it pretending to be 3deep5u? How can people be confused by a simple time manipulation plot that they're literally led through by the hand?

They don't go "back and forth, as they please" though.
Once they master the hand ayy lmao language the have a simultaneous awareness of ALL time.
Seriously, you sound like a flatlander. They percieve the 4th dimension in total. The sphere doesn't magically appear as a geometric point, then expand into a circle that expands constantly before mysteriously decreasing at the same speed before vanishing. Its just A. Squares limited frame of reference that makes it appear to be thus. To anyone with a perception of the third dimension its just a sphere fucking with a 2D pleb.
Arrival is the exact same thing, except scaled into the third dimension... Which was the ultimate goal of Flatland to begin with, a way to meditate on a higher dimension. But not in a gay new agey way, but as a mathematical parable (not parabola) for lack of a better term.
Everything is fixed. She doesnt have any agency or ability to CHANGE anything. Cause and effect absolutely still exist, but in our subjective dim awareness of "time" sometimes it LOOKS like effect precedes cause, but just like in flatland, thats an effect of our internal frame of reference.

All of which is besides the point because all of that dumb bullshit, the language, the ayys, the military, forest whitaker's inexplicable accent, all of it, are just story elements. They're windowdressing for a story thats ultimately about someone learning to deal with loss.
It doesn't matter if they do or do not time travel because the movie isn't about that. It's about death process, and tfw.

check out this very smart philosophy major

you know he is intelligent

>Let's talk about films that pretend to be deep but are actually not
Anything Sup Forums unironically calls kino.

Hunger is fucking great desu

In what way?

i n t e r s t e l l a r

Stale b8.

>people's brains are so damaged by capeshit that they perceive anything without 9 quips a minute as pretentious

this one big time

>Villenueve flicks are intellectually stimulating

I bet you're quite the sight as you stride in to your community college PHIL class with your crisp, clean fedora, just waiting to squint your eyes and slightly grasp the edge of your hat as your neurons nudge each other in an ecstatic dance of deduction.

clockwork orange

I'll have to agree, that change of subject by the end that's supposed to be "lol it was about the old cop the whole time 2deep5me" just left me unsatisfied.

They weren't even 1 league under the sea while shooting this. Most of it was filmed on a soundstage.

>emily blunt will NEVER step on your balls
just die in my sleep already
( ._.) ( ;_;)

The story that Arrival is based on, Stories of your life by Ted Chiang, isn't even the best story of the collection. I would've much rather seen a rendering of Tower of Babylon or Seventy-two Letters.

any Sofia Coppola film.