Can we talk about Neill Blomkamp's current projects...

Can we talk about Neill Blomkamp's current projects? I'm a little irritated that he now has 3 current series that he's started and has no indication of any conclusion. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if each wasn't identical in tone and theme, but he's retread the same shit multiple times now without even finishing it.

Anyone else bothered by this? Let's just have a Blomkamp thread.

Also the musical theme for this thread is It Ain't Me
youtu.be/Tm0V24IEHao?t=477

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cItNwrrS_Og
youtube.com/watch?v=2YpX6MumIr8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He'll finish them if he gets enough funding.

Blomkamp is a really great producer. He has a great eye for the things he works on, but he's the best example of the filmmaker who needs other directors/writers to rein him in.

>give them a taste
>sell the next episodes as DLC on steam
thats his model
he needs a DOP, color grader, and director though. asap.
production values of a student film. you can shoot better looking footage with a $1000 camera

Why is EVERY Blomkamp production the exact same MUH CLASS DISPARITY bullshit?

Zygote was a cool monster though and I like Firebase if only because I have a boner for Vietnam.

The muh reverse District 8 one though is fucking retarded.

>class disparity

I'm glad you mentioned that, it was really predominant in Rakka in Chappie as well.

Add acting and writing to that list of student-tier values, Firebase was meme worthy with how cliche it was

youtube.com/watch?v=cItNwrrS_Og
>having to post an explanation because your dialogue is atrocious and your lead actor mumbles every single line
nice one neil lad

I thought the one where prawnkus played god was pretty fun
Other than that, they're all the embodiment of >dude just turn your brain off lmao
not that that's a bad thing

Brother, may I have some oats?

>muh class disparity
if thats what defined his formative years, being a white left-leaning south african this seems logical. Why wouldn't he make movies about a subject he cares about. Seems a bit silly, user

>I'll just make the same shallow, surface level thing over and over and over and over again! That'll be fun!

He keeps on making though, but worse each time.

Dead Space movie by Neil and Carpenter when?

>by Neil
Hopefully never.

Chappie was his best yet though

>turn your brain off

I agree it's not a bad thing especially when visually and conceptually he's one of the best in the sci-fi genre, but when everything else is so bad it distracts from the good qualities that's a big problem

Gee, there sure are a lot of 'professionals' in this thread.

Not saying that the man is above critique, but get a grip.

I really liked Zygote. Nice The Thing vibes with a cool monster design.

They were all shit.

Cool creature designs, but thats where it ends for me,

Which is sad because the guy really works hard and I want to support his alternative business model, but the films are just bad.

If he listened to my tweets he'd be a top 5 director

Fucking great weapon design. Was basically a Tavor with some extra stuff up front but it looked pretty damn neat

I dont understand how people enoy these
Yes, the concepts are cool, the designs are cool, and plots are cool.
But thats it. Just cool ideas. Execution is about as boring as it could possibly get. Literally half of every single one of these short films (and about 3/4 of Rakka) is just fucking voice over narration. Its awful. Fucking seriously Blomkamp just tone it the fuck down with the exposition.

>if neill listens to some autist who posts on a Cambodian knitting forum he will truly become great
Jogs the noggin

>specific and educated criticism is bad
ill just give it a rating out of ten from now on. thnx user

>how do i into elevator pitch

that's the focus of the thread, he's what some would call an 'ideas guy' but his execution always falls flat

what the fuck even was Zygote? his other shit you at least understood what was going on, here they just dumped you in the middle of it

I honestly enjoy them all and think theres a lot directors could take in terms of atmosphere and tone. Themes aside he manages to make something as silly as a monster made out of wood have real presence more than a fucking xenomorph did in the latest alien movie.

Also hist style of aesthetic I feel is the natural progression of the 80s used aesthetic. He should hold it in with the themes of classism but has yet made something that wasnt entertaining to me. Not to mention the level of competence he has with effects.
>those textures on the lizard aliens
Like holy shit man.

How did you not understand whats going on? They tell you everything straight up.

>short films

please see

blomkamp, like gareth edwards, has a good eye for visuals and good experience with SFX but sucks as a director and screenwriter

Once again, I seriously dont inderstand how you couldnt figure out that hey basically found a color out of space while mining for alien minerals and were using what is presumed to be a synthetic underclass to look for pockets of fatal areas in the asteroids. Like he pretty much said everything in it, or did half the people who watch shit on youtube lack ears or the ability to connect dots?

Dont answer that because I already know.

>anyone else bothered by free shit they don't have to watch?

Nope. Just you, you autistic fuck.

He should just do effects.

Hardly any of those things were properly explained and while I don't expect elucidation of every small detail he relied on many sci-fi cliches as a crutch to prop up his ideas

when 80% of comments in threads and on youtube were 'turn on subtitles', you can see the problem
the lead mumbled. the sound design was garbage. he was low and dwarfed by the atmos noises of the power going out
not to mention that during all of his exposition scenes dakota was taking the focus away from him by going through rations
on top of that, the dialogue was vague
why did he gauge his own eyes out again? did you catch that, or did you hear the same poetic drivel as everyone else?
he needs to tighten his crew. hes spending all of his money on set pieces that are barely lit, and when they are they are lit cheaply and amateurishly
hes surrounded by yes men or people just happy to be working

We were actually having a good thread before you showed up.

It would be freakin awesome that even one of those getting financed privately. BTW my fav of his new attempts goes like this: No 2 > No 3 > No 1.

Well, actually no you dumb faggot, the main actor mumbled and the sound was atrocious. I still like these a lot though. Neil Meinkampf is great conceptually. Some of the horror stuff in Firebase was great and I still think District 9 is a real great movie. I like getting free stuff from the dude every month. Still have no idea what Zygote was about apart from "ahhh working class we found a thing in the asteroid and it was bright and oh no it's katamari damacy". I liked the monster ok but it wasn't evil looking like the river god or his cockroach men, I wanted something like the monster from the album art for Abominable Putridity.

That's why science fiction always needs an introduction. Star Trek has "These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise." Star Wars has the scroll. Verhoevan movies have news propaganda. Etc, etc.

>can we talk about
>anyone else bothered by this
reddit btfo

Because he's from South Africa. It's completely different world that takes toll on men.

Very mediocre, and what's worse is that he hasn't pushed his boundaries as a filmmaker since his debut with District 9. I honestly suspect the reason he's making these short films is because he hasn't been able to get the funding for another project since Chappie underperformed.

I think he's throwing money at these short films quite carelessly, without even realizing what it takes to make a feature-worthy short film. IMO I will be surprised if he ever makes a comeback

>I think he's throwing money at these short films quite carelessly

He said it himself pretty much, listen to his answer to the first question

youtube.com/watch?v=2YpX6MumIr8