Are Miyazaki's movies just Japanese Disney-tier or do they have more depth than that?

Are Miyazaki's movies just Japanese Disney-tier or do they have more depth than that?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/91985775
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc
youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are deeper than Disney films but are still children's films you should be able to understand quite well as an adult. The real appriciation from adults of Miyazaki is that it they have very few problems of the likes of Disney that often bastardizes the source material like Hunchback. Miyazaki however creates his own stories and builds his own worlds and add new imagery to the culture of the world. Disney just takes something like Aladdin and makes a cartoon version of it.

I should also add that if Miyasaki films weren't amazingly animated, nobody would give two shits about them

why would you watch an animated movie if the animation was shitty?

Random spirit bullshit.

The writing could be good enough to justify the viewing. South Park, both the show and the film, are absolute dog shit in terms of animation yet they are often pretty funny. There are other examples like Legend of Galatic Heroes that have an interesting narrative and setting. Had it been even a cheap TV show made by Syfy, it would be considered a science fiction classic on par with BSG and Star Trek. But since it's just some random shittily drawn Mongolian woodcarving, only the handful fo people who can over look that fact even bother picking the show up and even fewer people make it through the first episodes.

>DUDE TECHNOLOGY ISN'T AS GOOD AS NATURE LMAO
there, that's all the depth and the same message you'll find in all his films
very pretty but Isao Takahatas ghibli films have always been the superior

They are NOTHING like Disney films. It's such a dumb and annoying comparison. I like Disney, but their movies are completely different. They are more based on formula and very rarely try something new or different.
There is also a very clear divide between good guys and bad guys in Disney films. Outside of Muska from Laputa there are no real villains in Miyazaki films.

LOGH is overrated. Every Miyazaki film is better than LOGH.

Post your top 5s

>Nausicaa
>Mononoke
>Arrietty
>Whispers of the Heart
>Kiki

Special mention: Cagiliostro

Walking castle was good

Sure, but my point is that LOGH is still good enough to justify a viewing if you're into science fiction despite the fact that the animation is fucking horrible.

I can also cite Lord of the Rings book that is, quite frankly, badly written but which still manages to reveal a a world that is truly breathtakingly vast and well thought-out. Even today most fantasy authors would say that they are only aping some of Tolkien's method fo revealing their fictional world to the reader while also mostly making things up as they go along. If you pointed to a place on the map in the book and asked Tolkien to tell you something about that region, he would talk about the culture, the language, the martial tradition, what they eat, what kind of houses they live in, what is climate is like and so on.

So even though Lord of the Rings is a terribly written book, the book is still worth reading or at least recognizing as a great work of art that has had hugely positive impact on how people think when creating a new setting.

Perfect answer.

I like the way he incorporates his own childhood experiences into the movies. It adds a certain spark of childhood imagination to the stories.

Computer animation is worse than fucking genocide because of my retarded friend who has broken cripple legs and needs to be attached to wheels like some kind of freakish living rickshaw, and his life experiences as he struggles with daily life because of how he is a malfunctioning human being. Not that I understand much of what a human being is about because I am a Japanese man and my salaryman regime is so deeply ingrained that I may as well be an automaton living according to the programming of the computer that controls me, which in the end is kind of ironic given how I started this.

Japanese culture wank, but sometimes pretty culture wank, although Ghibli becomes homogeneous after a while. Very very similar style with little to no variation. Whimsy out the ass.

Takahata's films are different from Miyazaki's thematically, but imho Miyazaki's the better filmmaker. Takahata's great in his own right though.

In no order:

Whisper of the heart
Porco Rosso
Howl's moving castle
Nausicaa
Mononoke/ From up on poppy hill

I don't know. I think Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and The Wind Rises would be just as good if the animation was shitty or if they were live action

Spirited away showed several sins and why they're bad. The biggest among them being gluttony. It had nothing to do with tech.

Howl's Moving Castle made the technology wizard birdman the good guy.

Princess Mononoke was about respecting the habitat, not about technology at all.

Totoro was a cute story about girls making a spirit friend. This spirit also used a spirit bus and didn't hate technology.

Arietti was the same tiny people story we've seen a bunch of times, just told in a quaint Japanese way.

All of his movies basically have some kind of spirit and don't call technology bad.

A live action version of spirited away is in the works so you can decide for yourself when that comes out.

Miyasaki's thoughts are more complex than that. It's not really about technology vs nature.

If you read Nausicaa (the manga), you'll find that nothing in this world is "natural" anymore, every life form on this planet has been geneticaly enginered, even mankind. Yet people still have to fight for their survival, and like most post apocalytic world, the biggest danger is the other human factions.

There's also no definite good or bad, even Nausicaa herself commits a "genocide" in the last chapters.

It's an element that you can find in most Miyasaki movies since Mononoke, and something that makes them much more mature and complex than any Disney movies. Everybody have good reasons to act as they do, nobody is arbitrary becoming a "badguy".

>Miyazaki
>Different

"Japanese girl(s) find(s) spirit(s) and go on adventure against a threat of surroundings or small establishment. Along the way friendships are made in this cozy tale, inspired by [insert old children's story] and animated by [who cares studio]."

Replace Japanese with any kid or wise-cracking young adult and spirits with something mythical - Disney.

>A live action version of spirited away is in the works

I don't believe you

Pretty redpilled desu. He's right though, his son is just as talented as Franck Herbert's one.

>A live action version of spirited away is in the works
is nothing sacred?

they're full of confused post-communist environmentalist garbage.
Miyazaki is still the greatest living animator and director of animation, tho

It's anime, therefor, it's automatically invalid and unwatchable dog shit that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

delete this

>Spirited Away (I have a big soft spot for dream reality movies)
>Princess Mononoke (Probably the best Japanese period movie made since one of Kurosawa's even though it has lots of fantasy)
>The Wind Rises
>Nausicaa
>Porco Rosso or Castle in the Sky

I've only seen Laputa and Porco Rosso. Laputa is pretty meh, the usual lost civilization story. Porco Rosso is better and has a more mature tone, satisfies muh Italy aestethics but still it isn't as deep as many people say

If it's made by a Japanese studio it will be low budget CG filled nonsense and if a US studio makes it it will be mediocre butchering like Ghost in the Shell. The only way it could turn out okay is if Disney makes a shot for shot remake.

Watch Spirited Away. It's like Japanese Wizard of Oz

Lazy shitposting.

Can't wait for the low budget japan version I can already imagine the wigs they will be using

they are 10 layers above Disney trash.

Is this the guy who made that movie about the pink cat bitch

so yes

how was I shitposting?

"If these great films didn't have this important aspect about them that makes them great, people wouldn't say they were great."

Wow, insightful shit Einstein.

You do realize that I was just answering OPs question right? Like all he wanted to know was whether or not there is anything beyond the animation to these films. I told him very bluntly that there isn't. Comparing it to Disney, yeah it is "deeper" than that, but it isn't something that should challenge you if you've finished high school.

>Lord of the Rings is a terribly written book
Terribly written? TERRIBLY, really?

>I can also cite Lord of the Rings book that is, quite frankly, badly written but which still manages to reveal a a world that is truly breathtakingly vast and well thought-out...
That seems contradictory to me. Your whole paragraph here does. You say it's badly written then do nothing but praise it and list positives.

wrong

what about ponyo

The only thing that is missing is a black background

By far the best two Ghibli films had nothing to do with Miyazaki.

they have more depth than evangelion, although that's not saying much

"I hate weaboos
Idolizing gook cartoons
Gas the otaku"
-Hideo Miyazaki

I honestly can't tell if bait or retarded?

what is it about this scene that i've seen as a child and makes me come back to it as an adult?

vimeo.com/91985775

>Outside of Muska from Laputa there are no real villains in Miyazaki films.
Check out his first film.

Who was in the wrong here?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc

Ghibli is leagues better. Most Disney films simply aren't very good outside the quality of animation, even the best ones struggle to hold a candle next to "real" movies. Ghibli films have such a richness to them though, they trance being great animated films and become great films full stop.

*transcend

the people showing their work. why are they showing it to an old man who spent his whole life doing hand drawn animations? he doesn't even have anything computer generated in his films. miyazaki is a old guy with strong opinions, they should have known.

Waste of trips on retardo's post

>vimeo.com/91985775
God damn this scene is kino in its purest form

Don't forget the masterful scores user it's part of the aesthetic experience

Tolkien tells an amazing story poorly.

It is the same with many great science fition writers like Asimov or Clarke. Nobody reads their work and is amazed at their use of the English language, or at least few are. What is fantastic is how they come up with fictional scenarios in which they can explore scientific concept like space elevators.

On the other hand you have people like Hunter S Thompson that tells insane stories with hardly any real meaning but does so in a way that is amazing in itself. Like he could write a story about a guy walking down and buying a jug of milk at the shop and it would no doubt be a fun read. If Tolkien wrote that it'd probably be 50 pages long and mostly be about the flowers the man passed by.

>So, what is your goal?
>Well, we would like to build a machine that can draw pictures ((((like)))) humans do.
How can we stop the android apocalypse?

So fucking true.
Miyazaki has higher standards for the technical side of animation, but his storytelling and character writing is terrible and painfully flaccid. I'm so sick of Hollywood elites and normies blowing smoke up that old geezer's ass like he's slant-eyed Walt Disney when he can't write a single character with an ounce of charisma.

Inability to write interesting or complex characters is a death sentence for any story. Miyazaki should start watching HBO's Rome or any of Villeneuve's films to actually understand what it takes to make a memorable story.

>Tolkien
>Badly written
JUST

GO ask your English teach what is great about Tolkien, I can assure you that they'll point out that the prose and dialog are fucking garbage.

that's because you are a cock sucking retarded son of a whore

Could you give some examples of his le horribly written characters and storylines please

>any of Villeneuve's films
maybe Incendies, but Sicario and Arrival were duds

Simply false

>prose and dialog are fucking garbage.
Long-winded prose isn't looked on favorably today, because everything has to be snark, and Whedon-esque quipping. See ASOIAF for an example.
It doesn't mean that LoTR has bad writing. I'm sure if Edgar Allan Poe was around today, idiotic critics would call him the absolute worst writer in human history even though it would be objectively wrong of them to say so.

because they admire the art in his movies? and want to know what his talented mind can come up with the new tech?
I swear to god, this board is filled with dumbass teenagers

What was Yubaba's tax policy?

They are Japanese Disney tier in the sense that they are on par with Disney's Golden Age/90s Renaissance.

subscribe to Info Wars
youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30

It sort of is though. He has a great vocabulary and a beautiful way of expressing his thoughts but his pacing is fucking awful. 65% of the Fellowship is him repeatedly describing the roads theyre walking in while leaving the Shire. I must have learned 30 new words to describe different kinds of hills and paths. He's much better with short stories like The Hobbit and parts of The Silmarillion.

>poorly written characters and storylines
>muh micromanaged writing

Have you actually read LotR? He is super repetitive at times and the plot progression is all over the place. He's a good writer but spends a little too much time writing about every little inconsequential detail. It drags the story down sometimes.

>watches Spirited Away
>Kamaji is introduced as grumpy asshole
>he's a total dick to Chihiro
>Chihiro tries to help him out a bit
>still a dick to her
>Chihiro almost gets caught
>Kamaji suddenly decides to help her out and is nice to her
>???????

>watches Princess Mononoke
>animals and humans want to commit genocide on each other
>horrible horrible atrocities all around
>Jigo almost destroys world when he steals god's head
>ashitaka and san reunite the head with body
>world is saved
>suddenly, entire world forgets about past atrocities and genocide and now there is world peace
>also, Jigo does not get punished for almost destroying world because reasons
>??????????

>watches Grave of the Fireflies
>dumb kid starves his sister to death because of 'muh samurai honor and stupid eastern mysticism'
>sits in utter shock at how retarded writers expect us to sympathize with this little shit
>hates movie eternally

>Watching films at this surface level
Thank god for not being this plebian

>implying that miyazaki films are anything deeper than surface level

Face it, weeb. Your senpai is a hack and an idiotic geezer. He's the fucking John McCain of animation.

His films are filled with layers of interesting storytelling commenting on the essence of life, the nature of mankind, Japanese history and modern society in a myriad of ways. If you seriously fail to see any of this in his work then you should stick to Marvel movies.

>interesting storytelling commenting on the essence of life,
Can you sound anymore pretentious and weebish?
Fucking kill yourself for being such an unironic weebstain.

Theyre more like Japanese Pixar with a dash of existentialism

Totoro
Kiki's
Whisper of the Heart
Ponyo
Kaguya

Most overrated: Spirited Away

>Can you sound anymore pretentious and weebish?
I could throw in some 'desu's here and there would that do the trick?
>Fucking kill yourself for being such an unironic weebstain.
Y-you too

And most underrated: The Cat Returns

You sound like a downright miserable person.

Read Nausicaa.

They're "just light things for kids" like he said but at the same time they're often anti-war or contain LOTS of his personal stuff like mother's sickness (Totoro, The Wind Rises) and the place where he lived as a kid (Totoro). Also planes, lots of planes which is also a part of his family history.

>1. NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind (three-way tie)
>2. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (three-way tie)
>3. Princess Mononoke (three-way tie)
>4. Spirited Away
>5. Howl's Moving Castle

Honorable Mentions:
>Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
>Arrietty
>When Marnie Was There
>Whisper of the Heart
>Only Yesterday

I love Disney but Studio Ghibli is better, for me, at least.

Also, Studio Ghibli films in 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision HDR when?

>90s Renaissance.
fucking awful time. this is the point when disney became all about cash grabbing and selling merchandise.

They always were like that, but Disney Renaissance had some legitimately good films.

Treasure Planet and Hunchback are probably their best animated films ever.

>Treasure Planet and Hunchback are probably their best animated films ever.

>The Hunchback of Notre Dame
My favorite of all the Disney films.

>Treasure Planet
Not sure if it's my favorite, but it's one of my most fondly remembered ones because it's my first movie date with my first and current girlfriend.
She wanted to go see an IMAX movie with me and we both chose this one, we were 14 at the time.
She had to move to another place a year after that date and we had to let go of each other but we still maintained contact with each other via e-mail.
She had a few exes while we were apart while I had so many exes that I lost count of them a long time ago.
We reunited with each other just two years ago, we continued are relationship and we are still going strong and smooth to this very day.

>You do realize
Didn't read past this point, you pretentious cunt.

*we continued our relationship
Damn phones, damn touchscreens.

How ironic that this post is literal lazy shitposting.