Le gritty reboot of beloved and somewhat campy old franchise

>le gritty reboot of beloved and somewhat campy old franchise
>they somehow actually make three 9/10 movies in a row

What the hell is going on? How are these so good? And why isn't Hollywood learning anything from these to apply to other, failed reboots like Star Trek, DC movies, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

okay what the fuck, I frequent Sup Forums but I definitely don't live here

and this must be the twelfth thread in two days, how is this happening, who keeps making these threads and why

why aren't the janitors cleaning this up, what the shit?

I don't frequent Sup Forums, sorry if this came across as shitposting. I'm genuinely asking.

Story. Good story will always win out. They've told a good story. And Serkis is a god.

Hey if you want to pretend it's any different than Avatar be my guest

How many piano moments where there? meaning two or more characters made slow paced gestures while emotional piano music played in the background? I literally counted it 6 times. 6 fucking times they did it.

when Caesar sees his dead family and comforts his son, when Maurice hands the doll to the child, when the Gorilla gives the child a flower, when the little girl gives Caesar water and food, when the Colonel and Caesar have their final encounter, and when Caesar dies at the end.

I was sick of it the third time they played it. What a clunky fucking movie.

BUT
IT'S ART

it all comes down to production.
>one director with a long term vision
>minimal oversight because nobody thought this would be big
>consistent quality because of a team of dedicated professionals.
>a clear vision for how this trilogy was going to play out

good ingredients make great meals.

>gritty reboot
Did you see Rise, faggot? If you really think that's gritty, you should probably give yourself a .44 caliber lobotomy

First off. I saw this last night at a special thursday showing, and I'm not lying, probably 50 or more percent of the people in the theatre were seniors. Me and my girlfriend are 23 and we had an old couple in front of us and on both sides of us and it smelled like old people.

Second off, people were checking their phones 70 minutes in. It was distracting. The old man sitting beside me fell asleep and I knew when he fell asleep because his breathing changed from quiet to slow and heavy and the old lady in front kept turning around to see who was making so much noise.

Third off, when the movie ended, only 1 group of nerdy highschoolers awkwardly clapped. I felt so embarrassed for them, myself, and everyone around me. They started off clapping so confidently, like they thought they could get everyone else to clap too. Then the old lady on the other side of me was about to start clapping but when she saw no one else was joining along with them she changed her mind. Everyone left the theatre in dead silence.

WE

Apes make everything they are in better.

Avatar is about some white cripple assimilating into a new culture. The new Apes movies are about Caesar as a character, his evolution into a leader and how he forms a new society.

I'm not pretending, you're just an idiot.

It was boring. The Koba flashbacks were unnecessary and cringe worthy. Like they're trying to play Koba up as a comic book villain or something. Andy Serkis acting is so try hard it's almost embarrassing. All the apes act like apes and Caesar over acts with his facial expressions and acts like he's a human. Caesar doesn't even have a one on one fight with the Colonell or anything at the end, he just kills himself, and then all the apes hilariously survives a CGI avalance that conviently kills all the bad guys.

The first one was trash. I could determine that when I was like 13

Are the sequels genuinely good? Or is this just getting shilled?

Three paragraphs and nothing you said has anything to do with the film.

my experience and the people around me say everything about the film.

>this one isolated incident that happened to ME, a nobody, represents the entire film!

t. Matt Reeves

>Third off, when the movie ended, only 1 group of nerdy highschoolers awkwardly clapped. I felt so embarrassed for them, myself, and everyone around me.
You could have saved them by joining them man

>Are the sequels genuinely good?
No, number 2 just has spectacle ape cgi (which probably looks dated now). The plot is bare. Haven't seen the third.

Elaborate trolling at work. At least this one left out the word "masterpiece".

I wish. Then I'd use Batfleck's script for The Batman

It's technically a reboot, but it has relatively little to do with the original, and is thus, for all practical purposes, an original idea, smuggled into Hollywood under the pretense of it being a Planet of the Apes reboot, like the somewhat infamous Marky Mark one of 2001 was. But really, it's an original story with a few allusions here and there to the original as Easter eggs. Really it's more of an homage than a reboot, as I don't think we're ever going to get a straight-up remake of the story from 1968.

It just came out in burgerland

The movie just came out, user

No way, I only clap when I see lightsabres, Darth Vader, and/or AT-STs.

>Filename.

Marvel and DC fails because they can't fucking pick a demographic

They want their movies to be for adults which is fine since a lot of characters in marvel and dc had their fair share of gritty m rated stories in the 80s 90s and essepecially early 2000s but they also wanna make quipshit for reddit panderers and toys for babies. They can't pick of side.

I'll take "Things that Didn't Happen" for 200

>one director with a long term vision
He didn't do the first movie.

What kind of cuck enjoys these movies?

Who the fuck goes and roots for the chimps????

Someone explain?

Yes and theaters were empty when Wonder Woman premiered, we get it, you like lying on the internet

I'd rather that than a soundtrack filled with classic rock meme tunes.

Dawn>War>Rise

... imo

Seriously, same thing with avatar.

Apeshit was a mistake

Keep it simple. Keep it comfy.

Nice amount of drama but not over the top shit.

Solid performances.

Film shouldn't be rocket science.

I was actually surprised by how decent War was. Trailers made it look like Dawn 2.5, but it was a very different movie. There were some great sets, nice landscape shots, good sound design. Probably the best movie with a budget over $150 million that we're going to see this year.

>Apeshit was a mistake
It's one of the best trilogies of all time

Rise >>>>>> Dawn > War

last two movies are the same boring conflict dragged out for two hours

The reboots are terrible remakes and mediocre movies at best. They lack all of the social commentary of the original films.

This board had AMAs. Sup Forums is basically is reddit's cottage.

I was hoping caesar was gonna go full big boss mode in this. Instead it was passion of the ape.

I want the nudes + sex vid of Sarah Hyland to be leaked NOW

>trilogy
Nice meme

>clapping at a movie theatre

They aren't good retard. The second one was cliched action movie part after cliched action movie part with cliched characters that are just slightly different than action movie characters from other action movies.

These are in the same vein as capeshit, and certainly no better than mediocre capeshit (i.e., not nearly as good as good capeshit, such as Raimi).

They're good films but 4chin is contrarian as fuck so everyone will say something popular sucks just to fit in

>I'm a contrarian, the post

Just got back from seeing Apes with my crew. We roll pretty deep and let me tell you, not a dry seat in the house. The piss was intense. Piss dripping out the seats, piss flowing down the aisles, piss in the popcorn. Piss jets in every direction. I actually shit myself three times, I told the door monkey and he was like "Aww here goes" and we fist bumped. It was all a good vibe. Great night out and if you roll with a chill crew and not a bunch of permavirgin goobers then you'll have a wicked sick time. SLAYED.

The Rock had nothing to do with this movie

>Go into the film expecting a huge final battle between Caesar and the colonel
>Gets to the climax where Caesar enters the colonel's room and grabs his gun
>Was expecting the colonel to be playing dead so he could get the drop on Caesar
>Instead it turns out he became a victim of the disease that he tried so hard to destroy
>That moment where the colonel just stares at Caesar, begging him to kill him so he doesn't live the rest of his life as a simpleton
>That moment where Caesar finally lets go of his hate and realizes he's not like Koba after all, and decides to spare the man who killed his family
>That lone gunshot when Caesar leaves the room

9/10 film

>decides to spare the man

Not really, Caesar knew he was going to kill himself anyway, so he got a free pass. Felt like the scene was kind of a cop-out because Caesar didn't have to make hard decisions.

any Planet of the Apes prequel that isn't this
youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc

is pure quip shit

HA you fucking gay cunt anericans and clapping you guys don't literally fucking applaud the end of movies do you? It's not like the director or any of the cast are in the audience so why are you applauding?

how can you actually care about this stupid series? they don't even try to create a carrying plot so there is no series just movies with apes acting like colonial europeans.

Do you want another race baiting thread about a kids movie starring a teenager in blue and red underwear?

>How are these so good?

idek user, they are all 3 really good though

"ape not kill ape"

obvious shill at this point

oh look, ape movie shill thread #24556321

I haven't seen any of these movies because I'm rooting for the fucking humans the whole time, yet the monkeys are going to win. Fuck that, humans all the way.

Pretty much this. War was great. I thought Caesar's death was pretty cheesy though. "At last, we have won the War for the Planet of the Apes" and then he falls over dead.

>he fell for the "Sup Forums is contrarian" meme

This is objectively correct.

The fact that he manages to get travel all the way to Crater Lake before dying makes his death very anti-climatic IMO.

War was 7/10 at best.

Good overall events, but lacked any real engagement. Outside of Bad Ape.

Couldn't agree more. The effects were still great, but the story just couldn't live up to DAWN.

Yeah, I didn't hate it, but it could have hit harder.
I think trying too much to be poignant really hurt it, especially at the end. The moments just pile on top of each other in quick succession and come off very goofy.

>there are "people" on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who unironically enjoy the remakes
Disgusting.

Better than those movies

It felt kind of rushed trying to get us caught up to the original movie. Can't help but wonder if this was Reeves' intention, or if the studio told him to take it there so they could do a straight up remake with a new director in a couple of years

Beneath, Conquest, and Battle were absolute shit. Escape wasn't necessarily good, it was just an interesting premise.

I don't hate it either. It was still a good movie, just not as engaging as DAWN was. WAR really doesn't even try to develop the human characters, and as great as the ape characters are, they can't carry an entire movie on their own. They tried to develop the Colonel a bit near the end with the story about his son, but by then it was kind of too late, and it was just a massive exposition dump rather than actual character development.

I didn't mind that they were getting us caught up, I liked the allusions to the Mutants and to the scarecrows and all that, but they all come in like car crashes.

I expected Caesar dying and all, but just wasn't executed well. I have expected a "remake" of the original in this continuity and I am still hopeful of it. Just less so.

>beneath
>absolute shit

>Escape
>"not necessarily good"

Horrifically shit taste.

was anyone else disappointed that when they panned to the sky at the end that they didn't show a light in the sky signifying some kind of space station or shuttle?

It'd be too soon for that.

I was disappointed they didn't pan back down and show some semblance of their new civilization years later - like how Battle ended.

You'll always be a pleb if you keep settling for blockbusters

in 15 years humans (that are almost extint or in certain decadence) build space ships capable of traveling million of light years far

I honestly thought more was going to be made of Nova, but she became a prop for Caesar's morality, which was disappointing.

Can we just take a moment to talk about how ridiculously convenient the end was?

Caesar throws a grenade, which blows about a gas tank, which blows up some ammunition, which causes the entire base to explode, which causes an avalanche, which buries every single human soldier.

It's like a Goldberg machine of convenient events.

the original franchise was gritty too, it was just campy because of the time period it was made

Rise of the Planet of the Apes already hinted that there was a space shuttle about to head out before the plague hit

>tfw the director's cut of Conquest ends with Caesar ordering the execution of all the humans

That would have been great.

The original was campy by 1968 standards tbqh. Not gritty at all

>How are these so good?

The studio doesn't give a shit about the franchise because it's not marketable, so they let the directors do whatever they wanted pretty much. Same thing with Deadpool, Fox basically let Reynolds make his movie because he'd been bugging them about it for years so they gave him some money and told him to shut the fuck up. Then it made $800M and now they're interfering and the sequel(s) will be shit.

>three 9/10 movies
Rise was a 7/10
Dawn was a 9/10
War was a 10/10

hes talking about the ship that was launched in RISE which is supposed to be taylor from the original

He doesn't get away though. The guy he let go free kills him, and would not have been able to kill him if Caesar hadn't gone after the Colonel.

He made the right decision too late and it cost him his life. He got to die happy, but he died because of his need for revenge

Kino

Dawn was a pretty dark movie
War is one of the darkest blockbusters I can remember

and how can the monkeys develop technology and society in only 15 years??

They were only modestly popular so the creative minds and the corporate minds had the perfect level of checks and balances going on between them. The heart of the franchise wasn't big name celebrity personalities trying to sell it, it was actually a group of talented people passionate about the project and level headed producers who knew how to budget themselves.

Imagine being this pleb

Also, did Nova dyed her hair black or she was only blonde when she was a kid?

I'm guessing this is just another overrated generic emotionally manipulative blockbuster just like Logan

Why do you plebs rate movies out of 10? It's out of 4, 5 max.

She's just Nova's descendant if anything.

Rise - 1/5
Dawn - 0/5
War - probably a 0/5

Better?