quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
junkyardheroes.com/
luckyhazard.the-comic.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme:tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site:pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV

>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Bumpan'.

What's the endgoal of your comic? Or as a comic illustrator in general? I suppose you people don't take all this effort just for fun

I just wanna get the story told for others to read. I always loved reading good webcomics, and I want to give something back.

>I suppose you people don't take all this effort just for fun
If you take all this effort for money, you should dedicate that time for a real career instead.

Pretty much this.

I used to make comics for my friends in school to read, it was fun. Now I want everyone to read them and have fun again.

and this too

I want to tell a cool story, mostly. I have a lot of good ideas all the time, and they do nothing but stagnate in my mind.

to be honest
i just want to hold my printed comic in hand...
i want to hold multiple copies of my work all boarded and bagged

i want to know that feeling

Professionally I want to be a storyboarder for animation. Comics-wise and in general I want to tell the stories I wish/wished existed and that I can see myself and my friends in.

My comic gives me means to try new things. I could never get myself to experiment with anything outside of it. Once I got into it, thinking of new things to try became easy.

Since the OP is missing a list of books, here's a short list of really great stuff that I found very instructive. There's some very popular stuff being omitted here for the sake of brevity. If you want a really long and complete list of texts and resources, you can find it on /ic/.

Here's the list:

- How to Draw by Scott Robertson (perspective, environments and man-made objects).

- "Comic Strip Artist's Kit" by Disney, it's free.

- Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre.

- The 5$ "bog witch" tutorial by Dave Rapoza for digital lineart and simple comic book colors. It's many hours of material by a god tier artist.

- Will EIsner's trilogy: Comics and Sequential Art, Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative.

This last book takes its anatomy instruction from Bridgman, who taught Eisner, Frazetta, etc. so you could technically just use that for anatomy basics.

If you want to expand on Bridgman's method (which is the simplest and most visually-oriented IMO) get Complete Drawing from Life. You don't need other books.

If don't like Bridgman's scribbly drawings and you want to learn from Loomis or Michael Hampton, etc. just get one book you like and stick to it. Too much information is only confusing.

Thanks a ton, I'm going to look into these.

How do I commit to something? I keep changing the details and I can't stick to anything.

This, basically. I have too many ideas stuck in my head, and I want to get them out.

Write down all those ideas and details. It doesn't matter where, just get them on something you can go back to later and see them. Then focus on the ones you find tell your idea better.

Just try to tell yourself "this is good enough," and start drawing/posting your comic. Finish your work and don't let yourself edit it after a point, just stop looking at it. Maybe a few days after you've finished it/posted it, evaluate what you could have done better so you can improve next time around.

junkyardheroes.com/

I liked drawing this sequence
check out the jiggle physics on this guy

>What's the endgoal of your comic?
To make a living doing it.

I am not a smart man.

Was going great up until the face in the last panel. Definitely need to work on faces from strange angels.

good to know, thanks! I'm not gonna edit this page itself probably to avoid getting stuck in a loop of constantly redoing the art, but there's gonna be weird angles in the future so i'll work on that

Tell a good story that people enjoy.

Inspire people and make some money along the way.

hahahahahahahahahaha

hAhahahahahhhahHAhahahahaaHAHAHA

...At least your spirit is trained, even if nothing else is.

the first six panels are killer, the last one is a bit weak-

But really great dynamic action overall!

thanks! I really appreciate the feedback!

Oh yeah, you guys reminded me, to make people laugh, glad I could do that too!

You want people to laugh with you, not at you.

yeah I was looking back over your stuff, wondering why I wasn't following it, and I realized it's because you're not finishing it. instead you're working on fun crossovers. So I guess I'll do what I usually do in these threads and wait for you to have a really solid project you're actively and devotedly working on, and then give you some fanart of that. As kind of a pep-up to keep you interested.
ooh I would not go with UNIT. It's not just that it's been done so many times but that the word itself is so generic and meaningless

at this point the world needs to keep existing. these people's lives just need to continue.
I'll just leave them alone and let timeskips happen every so often when I lose inspiration, but otherwise keep on thinking about them and coming up with new ideas for their adventures.

and have it yanked away by someone else? no thanks. at least in comics everything's under your control.. except random runaway popularity.

>except random runaway popularity
The only people who say that's not under their control are the people who don't truly see the 4D playing field of webcomics.

>but that the word itself is so generic and meaningless

I kind of see what you mean, honestly. I personally like the name, but I could definitely use something more interesting.
I'll keep thinking of names, thanks.

who cares about stories, lots of webcomics have shit stories and shit art, I'm just doing it for cash

Naturally, I would say "edgy", but those trips mean you're right.

>Inspiring people by copying other, better art.

Experimenting, drew angel.

Well, as AVGN said, if your laughing at me or with me, it doesn't matter!

Poopy linework

Also, put some anti-aliasing on your eraser yeeeesh

>brown! brown everyone!
so she grows back her arm but then the other one gets bandaged, and somewhere along the line she browns up?
I think he should be sticking with aliased lines, me. like ideally he'd be rockin' it more like scrublord

I want to tell stories, but showing my mind images of them.
I would love to do so professionally, but I doubt I will do ever because my bad eyesight. So I take it seriously, but not too much.
I know i'll never make an income with my work. Everyone says so.

I fucking wish he copied better art. His comic would look better.

I'm just talking about how on her hair, around her right bang you can see a big splotch of pixels because he erased with what seems to be an MS Paint eraser

Oh know, this is just what she would look like if she was human.
Yeah I fixed that after you said it.

Where's her ribcage? Why do her hips start at her vagina?

oh yeah i see that now.
Yeah what I meant was, if he had stuck to aliased lines in the first place, an aliased eraser wouldnt look so weird
ah. not a lot of humans with that skin color and those features, but sure why not.

>Replacing the inspirational cleese video with an overquoted cliche
cmon guys

okay so fuck i now have a steady commissioner who's way into heavy perspective giantess shit now, and that is, like, a huge weakness area of mine. he's pretty generous with taste, but now I need to get gud. I've seen some building/city perspective guides in our goodie bag, but are there anatomical ones? gotta make that money while i keep doing a comic for free

luckyhazard.the-comic.org/

reposting the update from last thread.

>tfw you realize your comic is suffocating you but you have a fanbase that gives you money and you can't just stop doing it

>tfw you genuinely enjoy working on your comic and have a small, but active and growing fanbase

I just like storytelling, this happened to be my medium.

More GG pages. going to stretch myself for these pages, more action and complex establishing shots.

To lend a veneer of credibility to my autistic fantasies.
And ideally to make friends, but to write realistic characters it may come that I have to make friends beforehand anyway, so that's not a workable goal.

I've made more friends in these threads than anywhere else in life outside of IRC, and I will be your friend, user

Pencils~
These look alright? Had some trouble with this page and would like another opinion before I start inking.

for a sketch it looks fine, youll be able to lineart over that easily

NICE

Haven't posted here in a while. Here's some new characters I'm working on. Since all the writing is done for the comic I'm now trying to create final designs for all the characters with speaking roles, after that I'll start preparing more backgrounds.

Here we have Certina the interplanetary sniper, 2-T the leading coolant processor of earth, Kyler the Jupiter residing radio show host, Villithist the erasure cultist, Merva the owner of a VR club, pizza guy I still haven't named who has received an order from beyond the grave, and Vestus the mysterious duality prophet.

Their color palette symbolizes their alignment. For examples blue characters follow a philosiphy focused on machinery, industry and pursuits of the mind while red characters focus on nature, organics and worldly concepts.

If you have any questions, critique, or things you like that I should focus more on, I'd be glad to hear it as always.

>posts this
>doesn't get quads
Failure.

Where do you personally draw the line between a character and a self-insert

these are good names, man.
fuck leave it pizza guy. it's funnier that way.

well, on a venn diagram, one is entirely inside of the other, so...
nah I know what you're trying to say. basically, are YOU going on those adventures, by making the comic? Do you feel like you're creating your own experiences?

I think it's pretty obvious if it is but it's really case by case. It's also not always a bad thing though. You mainly want to stay away from Scott Pilgrim syndrome where your character is just romanticized wish fulfillment. If a character you make is based on yourself don't make it seem like you're just making the audience watch you jack off to yourself. Giving more details on what you're doing would really help with giving better advice though. I think no matter what characters you create will always have a little bit of yourself in them so you can't worry about it too much.

If an example helps, working on some animated videos based in the same universe as my comic but since It is me voicing and hosting it I have a self insert avatar. I try to make him not seem out of place or special in universe and try to caricature my faults as well as the rest of my personality in him so the character doesn't feel self praising or contrived. In general I think a big key is humility and being self aware of how you actually are instead of how you wish you were. Otherwise it will just feel awkward and pathetic. I often worry that I'll get it wrong and mine will just come off as conceited.

Thanks! I am really happy with the names I've been able to come up with, it's a lot of fun. I think you're right though, I'll just leave it as "pizza guy" that'd be far funnier in contrast with everyone else's weird alien names.

When it feels like a character has a trait because the author has that trait, rather than because it contributes to the story.

Like, I'm a boring, introverted nerd. It would be fine if I made the main character exactly like me in a story about a boring introverted nerd.

It would reek of self-insertion, however, if I made the main character exactly like me in a story about a chivalrous knight traveling the land, righting wrongs, fighting monsters and wooing maidens*.

Mind you, making a character not seem like a self-insert doesn't make them immune to seeming like the writer's pet or a mary sue, by making them always right or never having anything bad happen to them. Don't do that, either.

*not that you couldn't make a story about a chivalrous knight errant who's also a boring introverted nerd, to the surprise of all the maidens he rescues. That could be a pretty funny story. But you'd have to make the story about that.

You know how some people get really obsessed with works of fiction? Where they know the material inside and out and get really passionate about it?
Like there are people who like Lord of the Rings so much, they write essays about Middle-Earth for fun. Or I've seen people who are so obsessed with Phantom of the Opera, they can name the cast from specific productions of the show.

There isn't any work of fiction that I'm that passionate about but I want there to be. So, I thought I'd try to make my own. Since comics are my medium of choice, it seems like I should focus on making my dream comic. Like the comic I've always wanted to read.

oh i dunno, scott pilgrim was pretty enjoyable in a bill n' ted kinda way, it was easy to just enjoy his life vicariously.. then again i don't know how the comics ended up going

>There isn't any work of fiction that I'm that passionate about but I want there to be. So, I thought I'd try to make my own.
dude. this is a huge part of my inspiration too

This is my comic.
This is my patreon.

this seems to be the case with a lot of people now. their comic stops updating because they promised like a million sketches as prizes or whatever.. or they have to hand-pack and address and ship a bunch of fucking books.

I am looking for so,e suggestions: wort sort of word/font- or preferably symbol, like a hieroglyph should I use to summon a gun that shoots the souls of the damned?
Pic related. Whatever it is will go in the far left panel.,

i would imagine it like a 'fwoom' like it's just appearing out of vapor, but going by th esymbols you have there, it looks like it appears with a powerful SPANG!

I can't seem to get the colors for this background to look decent. Any help? What am I doing wrong here?

Shit forgot pic, here it is

I think the background itself looks fine, but the issue is that the background has very cool and dull colors while your protagonist has a warm palette. I think it might work if you shaded your protagonist with some blue/green hues or made your background a warmer color.

theyre a little bit monochrome. the entire world, buildings, ground, sky, even cars, are all green.. i would vary them a LITTLE more, the way the leftmost upper background building is slightly redder, i'd vary the hues of the others a bit.

Hm. Funny that you mention it, this was an earlier version of the same panel. I decided to go more monochrome because I thought the background was just too distracting... but maybe I made it worse?

The way everything is so faded and thin-lined/light-lined already ensures it will never be too distracting. The characters all pop fantastically simply because of their clothes. and now the main character is less oversaturated so I think this is vastly better. the cops are a bit bright but that's fine. neat outfits, those cops..

well shut, guess I'm going back to that one then. Thanks user.

>their comic stops updating

Hah user you don't know me very well.

I would heavily advise making up your own symbol. You can find dozens of summoning symbols for demons and objects on google if you want a pre existing one, but I think coming up with something unique to the comic is a far better option. Here's a few ideas I drew up really quickly, maybe they'll help with inspiration.

One other thing is, I really don't like that gun. it doesn't look supernatural at all and just seems to be a cylinder with a bunch of lines that have no real purpose. You already inked it so you cant really undo it I just thought I'd say so.

That gunskull is cool af, thanks for tge advice!

>tfw you put pen to paper, close your eyes, sigh, and put the pen down

Alright I'm starting a series of short story comics that is high fantasy / swords & sorcery type stuff. I want to challenge myself by writing a story around one or two subjects or prompts, such as "ancient relics" and "reformed thief" for example.

Any prompt suggestions? I'll probably pick two then get planning.

hybrid monster breeder

Man who escapes a dungeon gets hired to escape-proof a dungeon

reformed thief gets to fuck the shewolf

Adventuring gourmand seeks rare delicacies in the desolate hinterlands.

An old man and repeat time traveller murders numerous alt-universe selves. Turns out the shit they're trying to prevent must happen for some reason.

A traveling minstrel accidentally starts a mass pilgrimage. Something between a heretical cult and Woodstock. The clergy want to put a stop to it. They can't afford to kill everyone, but they imagine killing the minstrel will suffice. Perhaps wrongly.

Picture this:

A webcomic about fat people.

The protagonist's goal?

To get FATTER.

I was thinking of making my SD comics again, as a way to stretch away from my usual workload. Not scheduled, no pressure, just fun.
Based in a real story

And, this is something I wanted to show. Let's say it's just testing the water. Excusing my usual artistic shenanigans, I'm trying to come up with a character, and this is what I thought so far.
I have to make some kind of 1000 years demon-like creature. So far we have the Sleepy Ram, the Salem Demon and the Cocky Pumpkin.
How does these look? Is any better than the rest, or should I try mix and matching stuff from all of them? I'll try to make new ones, but thoughts on this would be appreciated, personally, I'm not feeling it yet.

>sweating profusely
sweet lord

I think the salem demon's pretty neat, haven't seen too many demons based off of the northern US colonies. You should toy around with the idea some more.

Oh man that looks great! I'm glad my input helped out!

Neat, is the face ok? Should I try some different faces with the same concept?

Yellow sclera is usually a sign of renal failure.

Hey that's a pretty cute style! Got a site?