Is there a more overrated flick than this? It's just DDL overacting in a period piece like he has been for 30 years now

Is there a more overrated flick than this? It's just DDL overacting in a period piece like he has been for 30 years now.

No, this is objectively one of the best films of all time

Seek attention in another way faggot

it's a well constructed and nicely executed film. he may have overacted or not, it doesn't really matter. its atmosphere and theme along with the story are good enough.

it's not really that overrated
it's that they don't make that many good movies anymore, and it was good

classic film

shut up, Eli
They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.

This is high art you piece of shit.

TWBB is a film that plebeians flock to in awe, because they are nearly completely underexposed to cinema.

It is a film which exposes the tasteless, time after time.

>It's just DDL overacting in a period piece like he has been for 30 years now.
that's what makes him good though.

It's not even better than Boogie Nights or The Master. I think it's the ""DDL best actor" meme that people get caught up in. PTA's next motion picture is another self indulgent period piece featuring none other than DDL.

No, but NCFOM comes close.

I thought DDL retired

>over acted
>meh story
>good cinematography
>something about milkshakes

Solid 6\10. Maybe 7 if you try really hard. Pretty straightforward movie, considering the themes it tries to cover.

>objectively
By what metric?

he was in one last movie

Paul Thomas Anderson makes really crappy movies. I've never cared for a single character or a single scene in any film of his. It takes a special kind of tastelessness to fuck up a movie like The Master. The main character could've been so great, the whole movie could've been so great, instead Joaquin Phoenix plays some kind of retard and the point that the cult leader just invents his ideology as he goes along isn't developed enough to be interesting. He didn't make a single good movie. Everyone who disagrees with this is probably is probably trying to pass as an ebin film conoisseur but was probably deeply bored when watching any of his meme movies.

the non-contrarian-hipster one.

Even if you hate PTA Boogie Nights is hilarious.

The only thing he has for him is Jonny greenwood.

I remember one day I had decided to watch Inherent Vice...15 min in the characters were talking nonsense and in a way that was annoying at best, supposedly trying to reflect the way people talk in the 70's, but it just came out as boring and dull (like everything PTA does), a few minutes later I dropped the movie and decided to rewatch Dancer in the dark. The first few minutes i was already captivated. With a fuckin MUSICAL. Man i can only imagine if pta tried to do a musical how pathetic it would be...

The Master is "loosely" based on Scientology and it's founder. Joaquin was great as a brain damaged alcoholic with PTSD.

Nah he was just goofy. One of the problems I have with PTA is that his characters lack credibility, it's obvious that he puts a lot of thought into his characters story and behavior, but it's also obvious that they come straight out of PTA's mind. They're souless

It's a good movie, but definitely flawed and nowhere near the best.

This film was seriously so fucking boring.
It was filmed really well.
Great cast.
But NOTHING happened the entire movie.
It was like when someone tells one of those jokes that never ends... then it ends and you're like "what was the punchline?".
At the end of the film all I could think was "what the fuck was the point in that?".

Agreed, PTA does some things so amazing but needs to work on structure and tightening up his movies.

>It was like when someone tells one of those jokes that never ends... then it ends and you're like "what was the punchline?".

Fucking kek. I've never seen such an accurate description for this movie

It's actually riveting to watch for me. I have no idea why. I completely understand why everyone calls it boring, but it's one of the least boring movies I've ever seen. I probably have the same brain disease as pta

>nothing happened

Is this the most plebeian critique?

Suck my dick faggot i drink ur milkshake XD

Maybe. But what's really sad is that it's perfectly applicable to the movie. Normies will say that nothing happens in movies like 2001 or Barton fink but ultimately they're wrong. Someone who just pays attention will likely come out with his ideas renewed after watching one of these, but after watching There will be blood...what the fuck is the difference? What the fuck is the new insight you're supposed to get from that...on anything really? Watching this movie is as emotionally involving as lowering your pants to take a crap

You're like my idiot friend who thought there would be heaps of murder.

"YA KNOW FOR A FILM CALLED THERE WILL BE BLOOD THERES ONLY LIKE 2 CUNTS HE KILLS AY"

>unironically using "boring" or "nothing happens" as arguments ever
what a plot driven surface-level filthy casual manbaby you are

NOTHING

HAPPENS

If you spend the entire movie thinking about what great acting the lead is doing during every scene it's bad acting.

>Is there a more overrated flick than this?
Mad Max Fury Road

The effect of capitalism, the effect of religion, the representation of pure hunger/obsession for power etc, you can find the "meanings" and "messages" on google if you want like it even matters.

Sure. The movie covers a lot of themes. But all i wanted from it is to leave an impression on me

It's just my personal opinion.
There's no need to get upset as if you made the movie yourself you know.
I like loads of films that can be considered "boring and uneventful", but this particular one I was definitely unimpressed with.
My opinion isn't gospel, I just didn't enjoy it.
Stop getting so worked up over the opinions of others, your quality of life will improve tenfold.

But it didn't, and that's okay. Do you think you should like every single critically acclaimed film?
Because that literally means that you have no taste.

If you had any you would be aware that you can like a movie fully knowing it's flaws or dislike a critically acclaimed 10/10 movie while still being able to appreciate the redeeming factors in it.
I don’t particularly enjoy films by Tarkovsky but I would be a complete moron if I would say that his films are bad just because I don’t like them.

Maybe try watching it again in a few years if you really want to like it.

I'll bite, what are some films that I should watch to better expose myself?

Have you seen Batman v Superman?

>It's just DDL overacting in a period piece like he has been for 30 years now.
you can do this to literally any movie