Question for non-native English speakers: when you speak English, what kind of accent do you speak it with? British...

Question for non-native English speakers: when you speak English, what kind of accent do you speak it with? British, American, etc.?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s01YvLkaoYls
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My own

vocaroo.com/i/s01YvLkaoYls

this
also de ja vu

German accent

It depends, usually General American though. But there are words like "scholarly" and "weird" that I pronounce the british way.

Trying to emulate general American.

Estuary English.

I like the Australian accent bc I can’t manage to get the hang of it.( British and American are easy, brutish is preferable

Why are the only people who emulate our accent our worst enemies?

My own, because I've learned English through media, mostly, and they've been from different countries.

Goblino accent

their own. duh

Ze russian accent obviously.

american, sadly
british is quite hard imo, very dynamic

I try to imitate a general American accent. I don't want to sound like a posh cunt.

a mix of British and typical Latin American accent

i like the british one

I've been told I speak with a Brooklyn-esque accent.

Fairly neutral but with a slight Malaysian accent that I had to apply. I also have vestigial Strayan accent from going to school there for a few years. Malaysians go blank if you speak to them in non-Malaysian accent (i.e. stereotypical Chinglish/Manglish drawl). I have kids. Two of them grew up in NZ and speak perfect English with Kiwi bed/bid lisp. When we returned to Malaysia, they went to a local school. The English teacher gave them low marks so that they will be forced to take her private home tuition (cram school). When I met the teacher, I first talked to her in the typical Manglish accent and she basically bullshitted me about how my kids have poor grammar and diction etc. and should take her extra $$classes. Then I switched to my neutral Biochem lecturer accent and her eyes went wide. I basically talked her down and threatened to report her to the Education Ministry. My kids' grades improved after that.

It's not really something you can choose unless you voluntarily immerse in one of those countries.

People tell me it sounds like British English, but I go out of my way to not sound too much like that because I know some people who fake a shitty British accent and now I can't hear a non-native speaking it without cringing.