Can we all agree this was the last genuinely good SW movie?

Can we all agree this was the last genuinely good SW movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4ESOrF_u1hg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, that would be Return of the Jedi.

Yes, patrician choice OP.

Shut the fuck up knobhead

yes
in 20 years people will still discuss the prequels
the disney movies will only be remembered as a forgettable cash grab

these movies were fuuu*BUUUUURP*cking retarded m-morty. kys

fpbp

Rogue one was decent

your opinion is literally more shit than return of the jedi was

This.

Nothing good has come from the franchise since 1983.

no, that was ESB

what the fuck is wrong with you
what.the.fuck.is.wrong.with.you.
what

reddit

empire strikes back is the only good star wars movie

>sw
>good

>in 20 years people will still discuss the prequels

Nobody discusses them NOW, except a bunch of millennial MUH CHILDHOOD faggots trying to rain on everyone else's parade.

100% this

If you love the prequels, you are 100% less than 25 years old and should be incinerated.

Empire sucked.

agree
disney sw trash so far

The good parts of Hope and Jedi together is as good as Empire, but yes you are right.

This whole "ironically pretending the prequels weren't complete garbage" thing is getting out of hand. ROTS is one of the single worst films of the 2010s, it's got Wisseau-tier writing and fight scenes that look like video game cutscenes. TFA might have been a glib fascimile or whatever the fuck buzzword the teenagers on here have picked up to repeat in lieu of actually understanding film criticism, but at least it's a very well-polished film.

ESB>ANH>TFA>ROTJ>RO>ROTS>TPM>AOTC

You will never be able to convince me that this isn't the correct ranking^

>Stopped being a fan of Star Wars a decade ago.
>Go to supermarket to buy food.
>Walk past kid toys aisle.
>Star Wars kid toys at the front
>Selling a full Darth Vader costume for kids less than six years old.
>People who watched an awesome sci fi movie in the cinema during the late 70s/early 80s with a scary villain now has young grandkids running around in his costume.
When your "awesome" franchise starts being marketed towards kids in kindergarten, you know it's time to ditch it.

I would put ROTJ above TFA but I would otherwise agree. I recently watched AOTC and holy shit it was so much worse than I remembered. Lucas deserved to become the laughing stock if he honestly thought this utterly godawful piece of shit was somehow acceptable.

>When your "awesome" franchise starts being marketed towards kids in kindergarten, you know it's time to ditch it.

That would've been 1999.

Star wars is all fucking reddit why should I care which turd is the best its all shit

>Disney trash so far
It was all, always trash.

It was one of the first franchises designed to be a big toy advert, just like Cars.

fpbp

Is the "last" Star Wars movie canonically
All the Disney movies are official fan fiction

ANH>ESB>ROTJ>ROTS>AOTC>TPM>TFA

Is objective

>Wisseau-tier writing

By the end of Attack of the Clones' public reception, you had a George Lucas who was probably entirely disenfranchised with the reception the prequels had gotten – you have to bear in mind Lucas is not someone who would see anything wrong with these movies.

Now, I sort of believe the ring theory, so the structure of the movie is only so adjustable, but I honestly think when he started working on ROTJ there was a sort of "fuck it" switch that went off in his head. He was probably tired of the original Star Wars saga he had drafted up so many decades ago, was annoyed it wasn't getting the reception [he felt] they deserved anyways, and except for necessarily having to set up for ANH, he decided to just write whatever the fuck he wanted, and then just fit in Star Wars to it afterwards.

The movie is literally a stage production of Faust, except all the roles are played by characters from the Star Wars prequels, and it's set in the prequel universe. The script is similar enough in cadence that it might still be inspired by old Flash Gordon serials and various soap operas, but I think it moreso draws from the works of Goethe and his contemporaries than anything the other films used for inspiration.

There is something daring about this, in a sense. Had Lucas put out a straight-up Faust adaptation, people would lose their minds demanding 'their' Episode III instead of "this shit". Had he put out Star Wars: A Faust Story, it would've been similarly received. Instead, he took what basically could've been a side-story and adjusts it enough to integrate it into the 'main' storyline and put it out as Episode III.

There's no doubt in my mind the version of Episode III we got in the end is very different from the original drafts, and even various ideas he had in his mind, up until late in the game. It also explains why you have that awkward sequence of scenes at the end to tie the movie into IV.

It's brilliant.

more like sw-J moive!

>Return of the Jedi
>good

tl;dr

>teddy bears beating elite empire forces with rocks and slingshots
>good movie
yea, no

Vietnam

Yes.

Well it have the best scene in modern cinematic history so it is good only for that reason.
youtube.com/watch?v=4ESOrF_u1hg

>Last GENUINELY good
Yes. I don't necessarily know though. Fuck me for this but I was fully aware that TFA was a steaming pile of shit. I still had an alright time watching it but it's not very easy to watch more than once. That's the effect it had, watch it once to bring back that "star wars feeling" then forget it, sweep it under the rug and get back to watching movies that are worth your time.

Also anybody who though Return of the jedi was genuinely good needs to go back. As with TFA, it's kind of fun but ultimately not worth it. The final scenes with vader and luke are nicely executed but ultimately the rest is forgettable. The battles weren't very compelling, and the soundtrack that accompanied them wasn't much of an improvement on John's work from the previous movies. The lighting felt terribly generic, like standard studio lighting. This is a great contrast from Empire, which was very artistically shot and edited. I felt like too much time was spent freeing han from Jabba, a very uninteresting and badly written villain.

So yeah, I agree.

Try 1977. Remember, this is the franchise that sold an empty box with an action figure voucher inside of it for it's first christmas.

>Nobody discusses them NOW,

motherfucker, they're more relevant now than they were in years.

>Can we all agree
Of course not.

That might just be the most rare pepe I have ever seen.

IT'S TREASON, THEN

only a disneycuck deals in absolutes

I made it myself actually.
It's an honor.

IV > III > V > VI > I > I >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VII

Cancer:
Rogue One

>last good SW movie

Empire Strikes Back

Can I cop your pepe?

I'm 32 and love the prequels

Checkmate faggot

It's all yours my friend.

Reverse image search for proof.
I had made a previous version which I accidentally deleted. never got to post it. This one's better though.

You misspelled Empire Strikes Back.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>When your "awesome" franchise starts being marketed towards kids in kindergarten, you know it's time to ditch it
Lucas always wanted it to be for kids. Some people started taking into darker territories with ESB but Lucas went right back to where he wanted it to go with RotJ.

>teddy bears with the high ground beating the most incompetent military force in the galaxy

Only people as stupid as stormtroopers would be triggered by that.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>rots
>2010s

Holy fuck no way dude, I'd agree with you if you would've said the empire strikes back but definitely not ROTJ

p much its the lats "star warzy" star wars movie also a solid 7.7/10

I genuinely liked the prequels.

You mean the good SW movie, right?

Rollin

Episode I

Rolling for Sheev.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE PREQUELS ARE EVIL

fuck me sheev

Yes

>2010s

Failsafe way to ruin a Star Wars thread, well done idiot

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the prequels are absolute shite user, if you remember them fondly you should watch them again, take off those rose tinted shades mate those movies fucking sucked.
as other anons in this thread have said empire strikes back was the last good star wars movie, maybe the only one that could be considered higher than a 7/10

roll

rots is only considered good because it was better than attack of the clones, and attack of the clones is below ed wood tier.

Hooray, it's a prequelfag thread!

No. The prequels were garbage. TFA was actually good at least.

>this is what generation z actually believes

Roll

>can we all agree
no

Can I save your pepe?

k

Personally I much prefer Episode I to either of the ones that followed it

Am I the only one?

Perhaps it's because I was the right sort of age when it came out (8 years old), whereas I was older and more cynical for the other two.

But I still maintain it's a much better movie. It doesn't over-rely on CGI like the others. It's got a very clearly defined plot structure, a very clear story arc. I think it keeps things much more simple, whereas the two that follow it overcomplicate things a bit.

Also the final fight at the end is, I think, the best of those three movies - again, because it's not over-reliant on CGI.

What's wrong with CGI?

ep 1-3 + rogue one sucks muslim nigger cock. jew wars ep 7 sucks muslim srab cock.

Everything. It looks shitty.

Episode I is just a better movie in every way.

>TFA above RO
>TFA not last
kys

my sister and I talk about them all the time, you're a butthurt faggot

rolling

roll

emma stone fags confirmed for reddit

your sister sounds fat

5>4>6=7>3=R1>2=1

Why can't we accept the fact that the "franchise" only had two good movies? Episodes IV and V. Everything after that is hot garbage. Goerge Lucas is a hack. Even Spielberg said that while they were filming Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull he had to tell Lucas to chill it with his crazy ideas. The inter-dimensional super-intelligent alien species were Lucas. Everything George touches turns to shit.

But, if we were to rank garbage, prequels are better than the new movies coming out.

roll for Banesteel or Traitor

Close. Switch 1 and 2 and you got it.

Phantom and Return both had negative aspects about them, but honestly I think Phantom is close to Return in terms of goodness.

1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The rest

And no I'm not joking

1 is the only one I care about

agreed. possibly the best star wars ever

No, TPM feels much less like an edgy fanfiction than the two other prequels. It's still suffers from many shortcomings.

rolling

roll