Marathoned Man of Steel and Batman v Superman last night...

Marathoned Man of Steel and Batman v Superman last night. Every time I watch those two films I gain a new understanding and appreciation for them. There's so much to draw from and interpret. Zack Snyder really does not deserve all the criticism he gets.

MoS/BvS thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500124410965.webm
youtu.be/lnNwMiOWDM0
youtube.com/watch?v=c1SChTYgSDg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

these films do not get enough appreciation for costume design and art direction

I agree. The amount of detail is staggering. Superman's cape makes him look like Kryptonian royalty. And Batman looks intimidating as fuck, the way he should look to criminals.

Can we meme BvS into being an unironic cult classic?

Who here hype for Supes' return? Even if he's a heel for a good portion of the movie, I'm still excited to be honest.

You know, I just watched BvS again and I have figured out why people didn't like it much: It's the sound.

It's a good movie but the sound design is vaguely unnerving and at its worst actively annoying. Even outside of action sequences there either the sound of cars or just a vaguely oppressive drone in the background and that makes it sorta unpleasant to watch, especially when you in a theatre and can't turn down the volume.

Or maybe I'm just being literally autistic. One or the other.

it's already on its way, lad. this film has a small but very passionate fanbase that shills it hardcore, and is hated by basically everyone else.

Both Batman and Superman's suits look fucking great. Don't necessarily LIKE Batman's, but I do respect and admire the detail that went in to it.

For me, it was the pacing of the movie. When I first saw MoS in the theater, it was hard to follow at first, because it would jump from scene to scene so quickly. It's when you watch it a couple more times you begin to understand and appreciate it more. You have to be able to think fast in order to understand the film's logic.

the JL suit looks pretty fucking rad

its already there

r/movies survey voted BvS 3rd in their Top 10 Underrated Films

Both, even BvS in the directors cut, feel like they've been cut down from something much longer. It feels like some scenes inbetween are missing which messe with the pacing.

Being a complete fucking nerd I'd kinda like to see the 4 hours rough cut Snyder originally had. I imagine some pretty good stuff was left on the cutting room floor.

You guys remember that dream sequence which made absolutely no sense and didn't contribute anything? Yeah, good times.

Favorite scene from MoS? Clark coming home to his mother. That scene really hits me hard. Least favorite? It's a tie between the tornado scene and young Clark posing in front of the dog with a red cape. I understand what Zack was going for, but Jon Kent's death could have been handled a lot better. And the other scene adds nothing to the film in my opinion.

Favorite scene from BvS? Day of the Dead. You can really see how Superman is racked with guilt over not being able to save everyone, juxtaposed with his frustration as being perceived as a god. Least favorite scene? Lois instinctively knowing to get the Kryponite spear. That was dumb.

t. pleb
It's okay to admit that the film was too difficult for you to understand

It showed what Bruce was afraid the world would turn into if he let Superman lived, delivered a visually interesting action sequence and appearently those flying insectoid aliens mean something to people who actually read comicbooks while also serving as a visual callback to Lex Luthors line about "demons that come from the sky" earlier.

Superman was from a house of kryptonian Nobility.

Also Reminder that MoS showed that a colonist's pod had been opened before the colony ship got buried in the Ice meaning that there is another kryptonian on earth.

Could the "metagene" have Kryptonian origins? Hopefully JL will touch upon that.

>bruce has a nightmare in which he is unable to stop superman and the world devolves into superman ruling other people like a god.

then I realised what it wasn't a dream

Metahumans seem to come from a variety of different sources. Killer Croc just looks like a freak of nature

This guy gets it.

I was legitimately frightened when Superman zapped those guys with heat vision. It was definitely an OH SHIT moment. I would have liked to have actually see Supes rip out Batman's heart lol

The reason the movie has a minority cult following is because it's just deep enough to convince plebs that it's deep, but said plebs are too plebian to grasp just how truly hollow it is. They think that being self-referential or repeating shots or nods to religious mythology is kino somehow.

Favourite scene was the montage where Clark puts on the suit and he begins to test his powers to his limit.

Favorite scenes from BvS were the punished Bruce and Snarky Alfred scenes.

I reckon there's more to it than that truth be told.

I don't care for the writing and some of the casting is quite off.

Here ya go bud. Something for your PC :)

Cheers. Have a comfy pic

faggy millennial polls are faggy....

Sweet, thanks man.

I wont argue that but not really moreso than even some critically acclaimed movies in the genre. Nolans Batman trilogy had a lot of clunky writing aswell, both in terms of plotting and dialogue. Sure, they are a lot more focused and don't try to do as many things at once but I always feel bad blaming a movie for being too ambitious, even if it falls short of it.

Hell, I'm one of those people who like Southland Tales.

looks like the owl guy from watchmen

What parts of the casting did you not like?
I kinda grew used to Gal being a qt animuesque WW despite not liking her being casted in the first place.

Reminder that the theatrical version of BvS is the patrician's choice, and better than the director's cut, and most definitely also a Snyder-cut, and all the meme-speak about WB forcing him to cut it down is heresy. Theatrical is definitely a Snyder movie, and his best work yet.

Fight me in real life

the glass kinda gives it away.
on the other hand power armor Batman was neat.

Sorry user, I have an irrational fear of touching faggots.

>Quick, Bat of Manslaughter, you have to save my mother who is named Martha.
>Nevermind that I am suited better fir the task since I have x-ray vision and superhearing, plus I can hear my gf fall down a building from miles away or hear when she's in danger on another continent
>I am also sure that your subtle use of miniguns is very useful for the task at hand and that the kidnappers won't hear them and decide to kill Martha
What did he mean by this?

Henry Cavill is literally perfect casting. You cannot refute this.

I don't know. There weren't enough quips for me to understand. :(

No doubt about it.

Well when the whole movie is a joke you don't need quips.

That he was about to die and begging Batman to at least save his mother was his last wish? I mean, what the hell else was he gonna do? Hope that Luthor and his thugs were just gonna release her after she stops being useful for them?

>Zod's crew's military uniforms are dark
>they were made in the period of krypton's twilight.

>Superman's costume is bright and colorful.
>It was made during the golden age of krypton.

Bravo

>Hmm, I need to convince Superman to join me in my plan to terrarium Earth.
>He clearly has a connection to the humans here, should I trick him?
>Nah, I'll just drown him in human skulls in a vision. He'll join me for dure!

Definitely. Americans create characters that only Britons have the physique, gravitas and talent to embody.

>The world's too big, mom
>Then make it smaller

>My parents taught me to hone my senses, Zod... FOCUS, on just what I wanted to see

>I didn't see it, Lo. I'm afraid I didn't see it because I wasn't looking.

Does that help you to understand better? Also take into account that x-rays and sound cannot penetrate through lead.

>sound
come on now.

you forgot
>I can make sure kryptonians survive as literal gods in this world with a slightly longer incubation period.
>nah, lets just destroy this world so that we can go back to being boring again.

The whole scene was weird. Why would you refer to your mother by her first name? Was Superman some edgy teenager? I mean "Save my mother" sounds way more natural.
And then Batman thought "Holy shit, this dude's mother has the same name as mine. Better forget that I fear him because he is an all powerful alien"

>save my mom
yeah, and batman would magically know who superman's mom was.
Giving Batman her name is just common sense.

The bigger plot hole is how did superman figure out who batman was?

Maybe I'm just reaching to justify it but I assume he might have been about to say "save Martha Kent" so that Batman would actually have the name of the person he should save and not just the word "my mother" to go on which he might have very well assumed is another alien.

Wasn't that just Supergirl?

I want it to be her. There isn't any proof that she is even in the DCEU.

I fucked up on that. Sorry. But still, the main point that the movie drives home is that Superman isn't this guy that can be everywhere and hear everything all at once. He has to focus on something really hard in order to find it. That's the whole thing with the Senate hearing: He put his trust in humanity again when he went to speak to the committee, not suspecting that anything bad would happen. He let his guard down, and didn't focus.

Snyder is a hack director who occasionally stumbles upon a great shot. Marvel films all look like they were shot in a parking lot

I can see a decent film with her if they just nix everything from the CW. Make it way more edgy and grown up than the tv series

>and sound cannot penetrate through lead.
Ha ha ha

whatever like it fucking matters, they'll just retcon the existing movies to shit whenever they want to add anyone new. warner don't give a fuck about your "kino" they just want asses in seats.

Ever notice how after Batman calms down after Lois arrives, Superman refers to Martha as his mother?

>my mother needs me

It's Batman that refers to her as Martha. When he says "Martha won't die tonight" Superman has kind of a puzzled look on his face. I think Batman was just hearing what he wanted to hear when he was about to kill Superman. At least, that's my theory.

The thing is MoS did leave the door open for supergirl to be present.

That's because most of them are directed by TV people like Whedon and the Russo brothers. Which is fine, because Marvel is treating them like very long and expensive episodes of a superhero monster-of-the-week television show but they don't feel very cinemativ. They feel like Big Budger Power Rangers.

Snyder is more of a cinema guy and, as far as I know, has a background in painting so, if nothing else, he makes movies that actually look like movies. And are usually written like movies, rather than like an ongoing series.

I think it just feels unnatural(even for a capeflick) referring to your mother by her name instead of mom in the moments of desperation.

I can't be the only one.

Well no shit sherlock.

>The bigger plot hole is how did superman figure out who batman was?

Well, he DOES have x-ray vision... lol. And I don't think Batman's cowl is lined with lead.

>Rewatching MoS last night

>Lex straight up taunts batman that he knows who Batman is in the prison.

>never noticed that before.

I watched Batman v Superman because of Sup Forums and I loved it. Best capeshit I've seen, far superior to anything Marvel. Is it worth watching any other Zack Snyder movies? I've already seen 300, which wasn't anywhere near as good as BvS.

>Why would you refer to your mother by her first name?
Superman's mother died when he was a baby. Only Clark Kent has a living mother. Superman takes his secret identity seriously.

Explain why Lex blew up the senate in the theatrical cut other than "Superman did it"

Watchmen is a lot like Batman v Superman and arguably has a somewhat more focussed story. You're probably gonna like it. Sucker Punch is a fun action movie but otherwise not too special. Man of Steel if you want to watch the origin story of that Superman but it has a pretty weak last third that drags it down quite a bit.

Just to get back at the senator lady?
He went ahead and pissed in a jar and labelled it.

Amen to that.

There are some questionable cgi but overall the aesthetics of bvs (and mos) were absolutely fantastic

For a movie that likes to talk about big topics like manlike gods, destiny and saviours it deals with them in a really shallow wage.

The planet of the apes movies deal with similar subjects and they really get their teeth stuck into them instead of subliminally alluding to them like Snyder does. Anyone that finds these films "deep" have a toddler's view of philosophy.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500124410965.webm

>questionable cgi
I hated the excessive lens flare. It's most noticeable in the Batmobile scene. Attention CG artists: simulating the shittiest lenses possible will not trick me into thinking it's real. It's incredibly distracting when most of the other scenes look so good.

Posting from other thread:

Sharing this from the other thread.

Argus: From Greek mythology; a giant with a hundred eyes. The Latin motto for A.R.G.U.S.: "Noster Quaerere Incipere" - "Our Search Begins."

Because if he was going to die, he would do so as Superman, and after he was gone mis mom would be safe from anyone coming Superman if she was just Clark Kents mom. Provided Batman saved her that is.

And this.

X-Ray vision, he had met Bruce at the aprty, remember? At this point, Batman has no reason to know Superman has x-ray vision, or that lead blocks it.

How did you miss that? Lex literally played both supes and bats throughout the movie like puppets

BvS isn't the best, but damn if it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.. Pacing is really the problem. If you look at every scene in YouTube you could see hundreds of people enjoying said scene. But the movie as a whole, as a collection of these wonderful scenes kinda fail. Even then, people who claim the movie as an "insult" or a "disgrace" have their rage blinding them.

I never got the explicit way he spelt it out to batman. Lex was clearly manipulating batman because of the phonecall he made saying that the knight was ready.

I really loved the autistical way FacebookMan delivered it.
>"Civilisation on the Wayne. Manors crumbling down."
This movie hides a lot in the subtext

In Superman's costume, there is a Kryptonian text that translates

“And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence; where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.”

Likewise, Wonder Woman's sword also has a Joseph Campbell quote

"Life is killing life all the time and so the goddess kills herself in the sacrifice of her own animal."

Thats not true right? You got source

Zod coming back as Doomsday to bite Superman in the ass after killing him was poignant. It is here where Supes realizes he has to take up personal responsibility for this fact and makes himself accountable by making the ultimate sacrifice. It's here where he shows the world who he really is and what he stands for. Only in death does the world finally realize he was here to do good. Very tragic.

>This THING, is from another world... MY world.

You can see how he holds resentment and disgust towards anything remotely Kryptonian. He sees himself as a Earthling, despite his powers, and wants to distance himself completely from Krypton and it's failures. Hence,

>KRYPTON HAD ITS CHANCE!

Its because the characters of superman and batman come directly from the movies that people have watched.

Their idea of superman is that of an almighty being that can literally turn back time by spinning around very fast to save the life of one person.

MoS and BvS are far more like comic book films adapted to the visual medium instead of being cartoon characters drawing inspiration from the comics. As a result you get a lot of very good high quality animesque scenes shot and produced wonderfully, but the characters are different from the ideas people have in their mind.

I think at least one of those sources is going to turn out to be flat-out mystical. I think it's going to turn out that under the right circumstances, literally anyone can become an echo of the "absent" gods.

I really liked the mexican gangbanger guy in sepukku squad, he sold the former killer turning a new leaf extremely well, but the entire family thing seemed rushed near the end.

To my knowledge, there isn't a single scene from the movie with anything close to a negative reaction on YouTube. Hell, the Batman being Batman scenes have millions of views and people praising the fuck out of them.

It actually did pretty well in the cinemas too. Sure, it could have done better, but it was far from a flop.

I don't claim this film is smart, but it's good at relaying its themes. Seriously, just fucking listen to Day of the Dead. You can just feel the existential crisis from the presence of "The Superman."

youtu.be/lnNwMiOWDM0

youtube.com/watch?v=c1SChTYgSDg

Watch from the one minute mark to the three minute mark.

I liked him too. Suicide Squad could have been so much better if it focused more on him, Croc and Captain Boomerang and less on Will Smith and Harley Quinn.

Captain boomerang seemed like he was lifted from Sup Forums

That's what made him fun. He made for much better comic relief than Harley.

It's true. Look at every scene. Look at every soundtrack. It's everyone praising the goddamn film. The only negative reaction you'll see are the counterarguments in the replies, which inevitably get muted.

I think BvS has become some sort of judgement test for other people for me. It's kinda obvious if someone's bandwagoning if they claim this film was the worst they've seen when there are so much worse, and so much more pretentious films. In fact, how is BvS even considered pretentious? It tries to show off the message and themes in very accessible ways, the opposite of being pretentious which seeks to look smart by obscuring the subject entirely. The equivalent of someone pulling words out of a thesaurus to substitute "good writing."

It's so weird after seeing Batman v Superman where the film is very earnest in the portrayal of an alien being among us, the next part is about an Australian with a boomerang with his gang of misfits in downtown LA.

Suicide squad would have been better if it spent like half an hour of family building between all the members of the squad.

I think he actually said, "My mother," and Bruce just heard what he needed to hear to stop himself. I think we're going to get the punchline to that setup in JL.

It has become my own test to see if a person is willing to judge a film independent of now-delegitimized critics and online narrative.

Honestly, this whole drama has made me really cynical on how easily influenced people are by online negativity. If this was a pre-Internet era film, all would've been different. But now where an opinion can spread like forest fire, people are more and more affected by the opinions of others. The hivemind expands, ever swallowing more and more.

No, that's certainly fair, these are superhero movies after all.

I don't know, it adds up, Clark Kent NOT knowing Bruce Wayne, Martha!, the way the conveniently fought on a deserted island.

It's quite messy.

Maybe this is also writing but Eisenberg was awful I think.

There was zero chemistry between Adams and Cavill.

What the fuck was the candy Senator about?

As for Gadot, I'm not hysterical about it, but I think they could have done better.

A man so beautiful that I have no problem believing he's an invincible Ubermensch.

the real world is full of people dying horrible deaths at the hand of ruthless regimes and people dressed as ponies.

You're not alone. I'd love to see it.