Geoff Johns & Sup Forums Recommendations

Hello Sup Forums I'm new to comics and I've just read his Aquaman and GL. While they were fun, it felt like something was missing. I didn't get any new questions about life or learn anything. Are his books just brainless fun? Is he a hack?

Also any writers that make you think?

Read his JSA

JSA, Action Comics, Flash

If none of them do it for you then he's not for you.

Stop reading capeshit if you want to think.

Jonhs is a fun writer but he is also retarded and pretty ignorant about almost everything. His comics are grewt fsst food when they are good.

Geoff Johns is the definition of mediocrity. Reliable and he won't feel like a complete waste of your time, but not all that good. Go get some of those books that they teach in schools. Persepolis, Blankets, Pride of Baghdad, Asterios Polyp, or even Watchmen. Look at Comics & Cola and The Comics Journal and Comics Reporter. Listen to Comic Books Are Burning In Hell, Wait What, and Inkstuds.

Just start reading comics.

If you want to think read:
>Warren Ellis
>Garth Ennis
>Tom King
>Grant Morrison
>Alan Moore
>Eric Powell
>Darwyn Cooke

For brainless fun these do it better:
>Gail Simone
>Jeff Parker

>not reading grant morrison

What did Darwyn Cooke ever make you think?

>While they were fun, it felt like something was missing. I didn't get any new questions about life or learn anything.

Do you really need all that shit to enjoy superhero comic books? Read something else then.

New Frontier

it was good but not very deep or thought-provoking

how?? he's basically johns

>Garth Ennis

capeshit is for manchildren op, start with some kinomedia

That's Geoff Johns for you. Overall, he's basically just really good at writing traditional superhero stories that expand on their respective mythos', fleshing out their characters and settings, perhaps around a simple theme or two.

Frankly while I don't think he's one of the greatest comic book writers ever, he's very, very good at what he does.

and Scott Lobdell

>Scott Lobdell
he makes me think about con booty

Well he thinks willpower is an emotion that should tell you enough about him. you read him to see your favorite characters be out of characterly badass

tbf not many American cape writers are deep. It's mostly the brits. Very few like Gerber and Ostrander make you think.

You should check out Doctor Fate by JM DeMatteis, The Spectre by either DeMatteis or Ostrander, or Hawkworld by Ostrander and Tim Truman

Ostrander and DeMatteis are easily two of the best writers in mainstream comics for the 80's, largely due to their strong interests outside of comics instead of just being professional fans

Johns isn't there to make you think, he's there to give you some seriously entertaining stories. Most comic books, superheroes or not, are like that.

A writer isn't usually thought provoking, it depends on the person reading the book and what they take away from it.

eh Johns isnt that bad. He has some good/exceptional superhero work. Like 52 is one of the most notable works in the entire medium.

Also Cooke's Parker The Hunter adaptations.

> Like 52 is one of the most notable works in the entire medium

For one thing, he can draw. Johns, when he suggests something to an artist in a script, can barely manage stick figures.

Cooke could manage a close-ended run that started and and ended and had numerous call backs to the entire DCU from the GA on.

This guy is right , it was good, but not particularly deep and thought provoking outside of DC canon knowledge, but deeply fun and satisfying if you need that stuff, way more so than Johns ever manages when he tries those call backs.

Johns mostly writes pablum. His best days are behind him. For example, I thought Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes was a good use of the mythos and had some very clever and interesting things to say that can actually be seen as more relevant politically and historically today than the days he wrote it (even if it's not that old). But his Brainiac from the same time frame? It's pretty unimaginative and uninteresting when compared to other things and while some stuff he's done in the New 52 was entertaining, it's like summer popcorn fare, no one is really going to be re-watching it in 50 years, much less in 5 years.

Mediocre is probably to strong (and I'm not that user), but he's pretty useless as a writer today and has been for most of the last decade.

He wrote the best post crisis Superman run. You're right that he doesn't write anything deep, but he got some good knowledge of bronze age mythos, which shows when he uses it in his Superman, Flash, jsa and gl. It's not like guys like Stern, waid or Wolfman are at a much higher level than him, but their works are still remembered.

We're going to have to disagree. I liked a lot of what other people did post-Byrne, once they got past the crew that did Doomsday, etc.

Johns is responsible for the shit storm that was New Krypton (an entire year of a lot of fucking noise just to do a classic Johns solution, hit that big ol reset button, where everything comes back to being essentially what was status quo before all the shit that Johns put the readers through). And New Krypton leads inexorably to the worse post crisis Superman arc - JMS' Grounded.

To be fair, I've never read his JSA and I hear a lot of people say nice things about it, but I hear as many people credit Robinson for that. His Flash is OK, I'm not impressed by it, as opposed to how I feel Waid and Morrison handled the character. He was a lot more respectful of the Flash there than he has been with stuff in the New 52, for example.

>but he got some good knowledge of bronze age mythos,

And at the same time he doesnt know the difference between romans and greeks

I had seen this dumbass point before, 52 isnt his achivement.

The main problem Johns have it's his ego he wants yo rewrite the canon version of characters, leave his mark in everything. His lex, his brainiac, those are the "real" versions in his mind. That was OK when he was a writer, the problem is that once he got the CCO title he abused his power.

What does it have to do with Bronze age?

The only work of his I ever liked was his Hawkman, though it was an incredibly frustrating read at times.

I disagree. Superman situation only got bad after Doomsday. Nothing really significant came out of pre Infinite crisis Superman. Rucka, Casey and Kelly had some good ideas, but I won't call anything they wrote as really significant. New Krypton wasn't even written by him. It would be much different if he continued writing it, but he had some other work. Probably DC's mistake. New Krypton was a continuation of a classic Superman story. Johns seemed like one of the only few writers alongside Moore, Millar, Morrison and Waid who could get Superman and had respect for his history. His up, up and away, last son, legion, brainiac and bizarro world were all great.

Robinson wrote less than a dozen issues of JSA. You can credit him with the setup, but as far as the actual series David Goyer had more influence.