Does 'diversity' ruin a movie for you?

Does 'diversity' ruin a movie for you?

>Sup Forums

Yes cuz im a racist.

Remember the 90s when these were hardcore NY Bronx gangsters?

Not really, it depends

that kid is fuckin ugly

looks liek a Sup Forums meetup LOL

lol have you walked around queens lately? I'm surprised he was white

Only when characters who have been established to be as a specific race for decades suddenly become black for no reason other than Hollywood affirmative action.

Inner city schools in the US have black people?!?!? ALERT THE FUCKING PRESSES

if it's obvious pandering yes
ive never seen a truly good movie with pointlessly diverse roles

Only when it's forced
>which is basically every time

political posturing and moralizing is called 'didactic storytelling' - Edgar Allen Poe wrote a pretty amazing editorial called 'The Heresy of the Didactic'. Here's a quote:

>With as deep a reverence for the True as ever inspired the bosom of man, I would, nevertheless, limit, in some measure, its modes of inculcation. I would limit to enforce them. I would not enfeeble them by dissipation.

in other words, you ruin your own ridiculous cause by soapboxing when you could have championed your ideas better through real storytelling. Star Trek, for example, has ALWAYS been diverse, so has X-men, but you ruin the story if you try to force your current political agendas into it.

Not the issue. The point is none of these characters are supposed be this way, even if New York is only 40% white.

Not really, no.

WE WUZ MJ AN SHEET

I don't think you should change the races of established characters, but i have no problem with for example black panther being almost all black.

>The point is none of these characters are supposed be this way,

Well how are they supposed to be?

It annoys me that injecting artificial diversity is higher on their priority list than making a good adaptation of the source material. But I can live with it, as long as the actor is a good match for the character aside from being the wrong ethnicity. Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin and Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White are good examples.

This Spider-Man movie just made up its own characters and then named them after characters from the comics that have absolutely nothing to do with them.

They basically gave spider man the "videogame adaptation" treatment.

I guess it depends on how it's done. In Homecoming, an all-white cast doesn't make sense for a high school in Queens. The characters aren't really defined by their race. There's no character where it's like "he's the black one" or "he's the Asian one." They actually have personalities and roles that define them. I'd say Homecoming did a really good job with it.

Like the source material. You don't take a white character and suddenly brown wash them for the sake of being politically correct. I'm actually more surprised Sony had enough self control not to just swap Peter with Miles this time around.

yes

Most Western countries are now pretty diverse, at least in the major cities. Diversity is just normal.

>the source material was written back in like the 1940's, by and for white people
>you can't update this for modern day audiences because fuck brown people lmao

>Does 'diversity' ruin a movie for you?
no but those just look like an awful mix

>the characters arent really defined by race
>"""MJ""" goes on about refusing to enter monuments because they were built by black slaves

Black people don't watch capeshit. It's still meant for white people predominately.

So it should look exactly like that then? As far as I'm aware, besides MJ's skin tone most characters were in line with either ASM or USM counterparts.

Getting mugged by brown and black people is also considered normal, does that mean it's good?

But these are the characters. How do you think people would feel if the Black Panther movie featured a white actor, or at least predominately white cast? You shouldn't change the mythos of these creations to fit an agenda.

Yes because it is forced

>for the sake of being politically correct

How about for the sake of being accurate? They're inner city students, of course they're going to be black, brown, and yellow.

Or maybe they should make a fucking movie that isn't a carbon copy of a comic book. How about that? The movie is its own thing, not a shot for shot replica of the inspiration. They changed the racial makeup of the cast to accurately reflect what NYC looks like today. The fact that Peter was still white was practically charity for us.

No, but it's realistic, which is why that's also in the movie.

Makes sense for an inner-city school in queens.
>protesting is patriotic!

changing established characters to minorities is not accurate. It's one thing if original characters are but to straight up change who they are also changes the dynamic of those pre established characters.

>>goes on about...
I'm convinced you retards haven't seen the movie. It's a tiny scene that only serves the purpose of explaining why she's not on the elevator that crashes a minute later.

Fuck, if you even saw her character in the film, you would write off her bullshit as the musings of precocious but still very naive teenager.

>protesting while also being wrong is extra patriotic!

>YOU DON'T GET IT, THEY WERE ORIGINALLY WRITTEN BY WHITE PEOPLE TO BE WHITE, CHANGING THAT IS GENOCIDE

If its the wrong kind of diversity, yes.

I only accept whites, jews and female asians.

>Make a capeshit movie
>Ignore the source material

I don't know how much Disney and Sony have you on they're payroll, but this is starting to get ridiculous. I mean why do you even watch comic book movies?

It's funny, I expected Sup Forums to be a shithole of racism in answering this question but I find myself here reading at some actually rational responses.

It's only annoying when it's forced and especially when it violates the source material.
It also bothers me when they do the "blacked" meme and the guy is an undeserving ugly fuck.

Other than that, no problem at all with diversity, bring it on, as long as it makes sense. Good storytelling should be more important than memes, but unfortunately, modern industry doesn't think so.

>100% poo in loo
>name is Flash Thompson

the source material from 60 years ago you Sup Forums autist

The characters are entirely separate from their race, though. They can still have the same ambitions and traits if they're black. In fact, pretending like this is a big deal is more of an insult to those characters that have been steadily refined over decades of work.

Okay, if you are one of THOSE people that love to rationalize this, then you must hate when movies like beauty and the beast and thor, etc have colored people as 98% of the cast and are historically inaccurate?

Not if the main character remains clean.

no because i'm not a racist

I wish they would pay me to argue on the internet, I really do.
I'll take it a step farther and say I want entirely new characters in these movies. Why the fuck are they still adapting comics that are half a century old? It's easy money from name recognition. Instead of introducing characters to the mainstream "accurately," they should start building up their cinematic universe with original heroes alongside the old ones.

Depends how forced it was. Spiderman I gave it a pass since it takes place in the great melting pot that is New York City. I wouldn't have chosen the Mary Jane though.

>Thor
>Historically inaccurate

You know he's a fictional superhero, right?

Forced diversity yes, like a white Light Yagami and black L. Pic related is a cast of a movie based in Queens though, and the only problems I have is Ned being overweight(impossible to fit in a Hobgoblin suit) and Flash physically being nothing like the tall muscular Chad from the comics and every single other adaptation.

Only when it's forced, so about 'Homecoming', set in contemporary America, the answer is NO

whitey...

It was the 1960s you disgusting casual mutt

Flash doesn't really bully Peter on a physical level though. He just shit talks him and most of it is actually pretty deserved.

Fifty Shades of Brown

Blaming all your problems on Sup Forums won't change anything.

...your time is up

Sup Forums may have some hate but this post is actually awesome.

Exactly. I wanted to tell him Spider-Man was a creation of the early 60's, but decided not to. Why are there so many casuals here? They know nothing about comic book history.

it was nice being a superpower while it lasted I suppose.

>America is going to be genetically similar to the rest of the AMERICAS

What exactly is the problem?

You do when it is SET in a different time. if this was set in 70s it would be stupid.

Beauty and the Beast had like two black people. I was actually expecting SJWs to be outraged at that flick since Belle practically faints when she sees the prince's blonde hair and blue eyes.

How do this not look like a normal sampling from any inner city low income school district? Low income areas are predominately minority.

No, why would it?

Because its a fictional story set in a fictional city :^)

No because I'm an intellectual who doesn't take pride in the achievements of others. Why would I care about skin color or nationality? Soon we'll all be one big borderless world with the same beige skin color anyway.

>beige skin color
We're going to be pretty brown if African birth rates are anything to go by.

Whitey still think they are in charge. Not for long

why are her jeans on backwards?

Is Sup Forums Marvel country? Reading these replies are something and a half.

It's only white bois that are afraid of losing their privilege

Non whites don't deserve any representation, they're all scumbag immigrants who couldn't cut it in their own shitty countries. Go make a comic book superhero movie in Nigeria, faggot

It does actually.

I'd rather have the best actors rather than people that look a certain skin color so that a studio can sell more tickets.

Do you realize that even if white people represent a smaller and smaller percentage of the US population, it doesn't mean they'll be any less 'privileged', right? Just look at the Jews with 3%.

If Latinos and blacks continue to be low income earners, they're just going to break their backs for middle class whites.

I don't care if Peter has non-white friends. Miscegenation between whites and blacks is in poor taste, though.

>what kind of cast you want senpai?
>just black my shit up
>so no more

No, so long as it doesn't force it by taking originally white characters and making them something they're not. I'm all for diversity but changing a story to show off how capable other people are in doing what the original protagonist did does not make me like the new one as much as I did the original. Diversity is needed but people are going about it all wrong.

Can it, racist.

I don't give a shit about diversity in blockbuster films, it's just an attempt to appeal to a wider audience for a bigger box office. I've been annoyed by some book/historical characters getting turned black for no good reason but I'd probably go see the film if it had outstanding reviews.

Tbqh "diversity" in real life situations is 100x more dangerous than whether or not some capeshit cast remains 95% white

This, realizing nationalism is cancer is the true redpill

Being white has nothing to do with who the characters are though. They're never defined by their race or put into any racially sensitive situations.

Why is the Aryan race never represented in these type of movies?

But you will have less political clout. You won't be able to stop the wealth redistribution policies that the non-white majority will support. Face it bigot your reign is OVER

Flash Thompson was played by an Indo-Aryan

Are you really telling me that once whites are

Wonder how long until they reboot the film series and incorporate the diverse line? Will Marvel Pajeets be okay with this all new all different bullshit?

minorities do vote overwhelming democrat and we know they have been shifting further and further towards the left

Yes it does bother me on several levels. It's a reminder of how low and bastardized our once-proud civilization has fallen. It's a reminder that there are Marxists in a boardroom running focus groups demonstrating increased profits with no regard as to whether or not their product or story is of any quality.
Look to such paradises as South Africa and Zimbabwe.

It will be masked under the guise of class warfare. The effect will be the same just look at Brazil

One of the worst movies I've ever seen

Yes, nonwhite people are unpleasant to look at.

Race-based wealth distribution isn't leftist. It's not even on the damn scale, it's that unbelievable. Also, a Latin Republican with family values could easily sway the Latino vote.

I think the minorities in the US are pretty different from the natives of South Africa and Zimbabwe.

>just look at Brazil
Brazil is often cited as an example of a country that's moved past racism, though. What's the deal?

How much of the growth in the Hispanic population will be due to "white" Latinos?

Why are whites so much wealthier than blacks, pardos, and indigenous people in Brazil? Why do they commit much less crime? Why do they have much lower rates of disease?

>I think the minorities in the US are pretty different from the natives of South Africa and Zimbabwe
They'll stop being "pretty different" once whitey starts fading below 50%. Look at how Muslims operate in Europe. 1% of the population and it's whatever. 5% and you start getting domestic terror attacks every week. 10% and your daughters can't go out in the evening.

Minority groups are only ever docile when they are small, politically insignificant, and fear retribution.

Why do you care so much about about shitty pulp stories written for children.