What's the morale of this story?

What's the morale of this story?

There's no country for old men

dont mess with autisitc people with air cans

high morale. very upbeat. I'd say the only person who had bad morale was Llewellyn's wife's mother

morale? you mean moral?

I guess it's don't get yourself involved in shit that you can't get out of.

shit happens, whaddaya gonna do?

*tosses coin*
*teleports behind u*
*blows air through your skull*
nothing... personnel

He's actually pretty OP, considering that he finds everything at any given moment without Internet and apparently immune to cops
>supposed "smart written smart character"

As big as you may feel, as solid your roots my be, entropy is inevitable and the world will catch up. Take Ed Tom. He was a sheriff all his life, as was his father and his father before him. He'd seen it all, handled intense and violent cases, a practiced hand at his craft to say the least, almost to the point of being jaded. But old age halts for no one. And as you age, the world around you gets stranger, to the point of being almost unrecognizable. Ed Tom was a relic of a bygone era, and had to dishonorably check himself out. It was no country for old men.

I don't really get how that's shown in the film
Anton Chigurgh is just pure chaos and his unpredictability was too much for the old sheriff? Would a younger sheriff have handled him any better?

The morale is "There are no clean getaways"

Violence has always existed. You're not living through some terrible period of sadness because you saw something horrible on the news. Sadness and evil is unforgiving and uncontrollable.

if you steal a box of money from cartel guys who killed each other, make sure it doesn't have a tracker in it before you put it under your trailer.

also if you happen to be the sheriff of some county with a lot of cartel shootouts you should improve your methods beyond "borrowing rosa's horse and riding around" and afterwards going to a coffee house to whine about it

Old people get set in their ways. After so many decades you think you've seen it all, that you know it all. Which is why Ed Tom was so apparently disturbed by Antons actions. A younger sheriff's actions would not be colored by years of experience from a bygone era.

I guess tl:dr, adaptability is a mark of youth, becoming old signifies the end of such adaptability.

don't toss coins with friendos

there isnt one because not every movie needs one

You can't change shit, just roll with it

Anton is liberalism
Ed Tom conservativism

around latinos

the world is chaotic, the good arent rewarded the bad aren't punished the more you try to right the world the more you end up losing

Don't give agua to dying Mexicans

The other moral id say is, a psychopath is just that. Anton goes around acting like some harbinger of death, some otherworldly decider. I have to imagine this is why many of his victims entertain him for a short while with conversation before being killed. They sit or stand, paralyzed with fear, perhaps charmed, receptive. They give up details about themselves. They allow him to play his game.

The only one that didn't play back and got out alive was that landwhale at the trailer park.
"Did you not hear me? We cayn't give out no nformation."
She stared him down like the creep he was and didn't back down, and he left.

I think the point of the story is a little more clear in the book. While the title No Country for Old Men is lifted from the poem Byzantium by Yeats I feel it has much more to do with Nietzsche's aphorism of the death of God. Having read almost every McCarthy novel it seems to be incomprehensible that he isn't very familiar with Nietzsche. The precipetes events that lead to the death of God in the movie are the vietnam war (for Moss) and WW2 (for bell, though all of the WW2 stuff was cut for the movie).

The story is about how the moral certainties of older times has been shown to be hollow and about how one should act now that the external standards of morality are gone. Sheriff Bell is a man who recognises this but is unable to do so. Chigurh and Moss are put forward as the two people within the story who are able to do so.
Chigurh is not chaotic. He adheres to some sort of Sartrean conception of free will which entails we are completely responsible for everything in our lives and seeks to make people aware of this.

>I have to imagine this is why many of his victims entertain him for a short while with conversation before being killed.
This is better explained with his belife that he is an agent to make people come to terms with there own total freedom in a post-God society. He isn't playing a game.

>The only one that didn't play back and got out alive was that landwhale at the trailer park.
That and the gas station attended. He didn't spare her for any moral reason. He left her because killing her would have done nothing but hinder his ability to hunt down moss. While he does see him self as some sort of instructor he is primarily on a mission and does what he does in a practical way in order to achieve that end. There are a hell of a lot of people he kills without any sort of ceremony and many people he doesn't kill. I think you are reading too much into the one moment with the fat chick.

There is no morale