Why does Sup Forums hate LoK's season 2 so much?

Why does Sup Forums hate LoK's season 2 so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YdwdBmuDjZ0&ab_channel=AvatarReymoth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're jealous.

Mostly from:
>The change from Studio Mir to Pierrot.
>"I AM THE DARK AVATUR"
I'm just saying, two avatars controlling all the elements nuking it out would've been better than the shit we actually got.
>Giant blue Korra
>The origin of the first avatar
The Ukiyo-e style that Mir did was neat and I liked Wan personally but I remember a good portion of Sup Forums said they hated it.

wut, wan was the best thing of this season

Even hardcore Avatar fans hate Korra season 2 so don't act like it's some mythical opinion only Sup Forums holds.

Wan was great, and its probably the best episodes in the entire show, mostly because they don't follow Korra.

The problem with Season 2 is the fact that they gave a backstory to the Avatar that really just sucked. Rather then it just being a random soul that was given these powers, its some shitty spirit that doesn't bother to help anyone because nobody knows she's part of the Avatar.

Then, after building up all this trash and basically taking the mysticism away from the Avatar and the cycle, they go and toss everything out the door and end the fucking cycle. Like fucking whyyyyyyyyy.

Oh and
>Dues ex Jinorra
>IM TEH xXxD4RK_AVAt4RxXx

the entire show is shit
for various reasons but mostly because of how amateur hour the writing had become and how they forgot a lot of what made ATLA good

I can't judge Season 2, as I refused to watch any more after the shitfest that was Season 1.

But from what I've gathered, it's not just a Sup Forumsntrarian opinion

It amazingly had both shittiest animation in all of Avatar franchise and best fight scenes in all of Avatar franchise.

Still gets me hard.

youtube.com/watch?v=YdwdBmuDjZ0&ab_channel=AvatarReymoth

It's a pretty mediocre tale and only seems much better by comparison with the rest of the season.

Don't forget regressing Korra's development just so they could basically rehash her and Tenzin's plot from s1.

I hated season 1 so much that I didn't even want to stomach season 2. Maybe the problem is with me because I was comparing it to the last airbender, and Korra was just a steaming shit pile compared to that.

Not just season 2
The cartoon in general is crap
Korra is like a typical shonen hero
Funny, extrovert and just want to fight
Aang was something new
Also the characters are as deep as a puddle
There are so many bad things in this show

>Funny, extrovert and just want to fight
Aside from last part, those apply to Aang.

Thats why he is not a standard shounen protagonist

>DARK

This. Season 2 destroyed all the lore previously stablished. Like the things user describes and I can add the animals being the first benders. I liked Wan character but the people who wrote this didn't have any idea about the concept of the Avatar. In the previous series he/she was like the incarnation (The Avatar) of the universe, the keeper of the balance. Here, they 'explain' that he's a human who got all the elements from some turtles, just asking for them (anyone could do that, then) fused with a "good spirit", and sealed the evil one. How is the avatar now supposed to keep the balance if he's only the light side?

Than villain... That "Dark Avatar" is the proof they didn't know a shit. Avatar should be only one.

Also, not even the writers could explain what the hell happened at the end. This season has the worst and most random writing of the entire series. Many plot holes that shows they didn't care about what they were doing.

And this las one is my personal thought, I think this was the season that started the pandering to fanfics. I sure hated Makorra given the way they managed it in season 1, but when I saw them breaking up a season later just like that I noticed something was starting to go wrong.

No. Even as a standalone series, it was mediocre and infuriating.

Like most anons have already said,the a lot animation was bad, the finale was a giant ass pull, and Korra pretty much completley reverted and learned nothing from season 1.

LoK Season 3 is the best season from either series though.

>LoK Season 3 is the best season from either series though.

I sure liked it more than the rest of LOK but having this season as a part of the rest of this series sure don't let it win the best season of all both series award. We had various flaws left there by the previous seasons.

I think that award is for ATLA S2 I think. Yeah, the villain personality is great and it goes 'further' and is darker and they show people killing people in some shocking ways but that's not enough, at least for me, for making it the best. Just has some stuff that the rest of the series doesn't have.

>Giant blue Korra
Honestly, I thought people would love this as I was watching it.
But I also thought you guys would like ASM2's final scene with the kid because you are cheesy as fuck and cry when Superman hugs an emo kid.

The jobbing and generic videogame plot

Jinora should've died. She should've sacrificed herself to help Korra.

The concept wasn't that bad, but having no explanation at all and it happening "just because"... that, that was the problem. It was just, too random.

Aang turned into a giant water elemental at the end of season 1 and it was great. I think they wanted to make something similar... and failed.

It would've been cool if it wasn't the giant dark avatar tenticles and Korra was some cool looking spirit monster.

Also I liked that ASM2 scene... seperated completely from the whole film of course.

S1: Great Villain
S3: Great Villain
S4: Great Protagonist
S2: DARK AVARTER!

>S4: Great Protagonist
Hahaha you can't be serious

I've watched S2 and I still haven't watched S3 and so on because I'm scarred to life thanks to xXxD4RK_AVAt4RxXx.

The finale sucked.

Yeah. Another potentially good villain turned into a mustache twirler and I'm still waiting for the fixing of the avatar cycle... forever, I suppose.

I know how to fix the avatar cycle forever, user.

I said I'm waiting forever, not to fix it forever, user. It's supposed to be broken and that's how it will keep. Bah.

Because it didn't make any sense. Think for a second: why Unalaq attacked the south? there is NO reason for him to do that other than move the plot. In the end the entire season could be avoided if they didn't make everyone brain-dead. Korra literally opens both portals and causes S02. That's just ridiculous.

I know. It was a joke. It wasn't supposed to make sense until you double checked the order of the words in your post and then become funny when you realize what was going on.

For what it's worth, people like me exist.

Huge huge fan of ATLA, watched it a dozen times, read the comics, read all the trivia and history and interviews I could. Fucking love it, might be my favorite cartoon ever.

Liked Korra Season 1, it wasn't great but it was okay. Had potential, had lots of good ideas that were just executed a little wonky, but not the worst thing I've ever seen.

Korra Season 2 was so bad I stopped watching it a little over halfway through and never watched anything after it. Once I saw where they were going with the main arc and villain I just thought "Oh. This is stupid." And it couldn't even be redeemed by the stuff that wasn't the main conflict. The side characters sucked. The subplots were boring. Worse than being "bad", where I could watch it and complain about it, it was just boring, where I didn't care what happened to anyone and lost interest forever.

>Huge huge fan of ATLA, watched it a dozen times, read the comics, read all the trivia and history and interviews I could. Fucking love it, might be my favorite cartoon ever.

I feel you user. This sequel maimed the avatarverse for me.

I believe the user is referring to Kuvira being the protagonist as she literally did nothing wrong to be labeled as a villain.

Probably why the other user thinks he can't be serious.

This is the main problem. Everything Korra learned, every step forward she took, was reversed in S2. Because of this choice, the entire scenario played out in a way that just made Korra out to be nothing more than an egotistical, dumb asshole.

The worst part of it is that the whole thing resolves with the Avatar cycle being broken and Korra becoming the new "first" Avatar for the Avatar to have to deal with. Like, can you imagine somebody less qualified? It's like if the only Avatar Aang could deal with was fucking Kyoshi. The next person in line is fucked.

On top of that it did a bunch of power escalation bullshit that the series didn't need. Threatening soul destruction of characters, dark Avatar, etc.

ATLA was like LoTR crissed with kung fu movies. It was cool.

Korra S1 was like a nolan movie crossed with shonen anime. It was okay.

Korra S2 was like Pacific Rim crissed with Bryke's personal sexual fantasies, written in a span of 14 minutes while the writers are sucking each other's cocks. It was shit.

Because it was shit.

Literally nothing happens until the last two episodes, not to mention Kai and that airbender filler. People just like the Lotus fight scenes and Korra getting the shit kicked out of her.

>she literally did nothing wrong to be labeled as a villain.
>betrayed her benefactor and sovereign
>didn't negotiate with the Earth kingdom governors in good faith
>reeducation camps
>attacked Zaofu and Republic City for no reason beyond personal gain
>pissing off spirit vines, leading to them ripping out peoples' souls
>not a villain
She was a terrible person.

Please tell me its just Korra that can't talk to her previous lives
Please tell me that's just your headcanon and isn't confirmed.

>Giant blue Korra
If they made a callback to Aang's giant glowy self, then it wouldn't have been so bad.

>Took charge when nobody else would (i.e., Suyin).
>Restored a fractured, anarchistic continent to its prime in just three years.
>Did not allow another puppet sovereign on the throne when, evidently, there is decades worth of political corruption within its offices (Dai Li, Prince Wu's "advisors").
>Offered absolute peace and protection to Earth 'Empire' cities for the price of resources.
>Did not allow filthy water inbreeds and flame tossers through her borders to soil Earth Empire's foundations.
>Negotiation reasonably for Zaofu to be assimilated into the Earth Empire as it is within her territory, only to be betrayed and almost assassinated thus rendering negotiations moot.
>Spirits wouldn't have even been present if not for Korra's terrible sense of judgement. Oh yeah, 10'000 years worth of Avatars must be wrong, I should totally let through these incredibly dangerous spirits into the real world again despite clear evidence against this concept via Wan flashbacks.
>A villain.

No user, cycle is broken. Forever. Next avatar will not talk to anybody, just to Korra. It was broken as part of the plan for making "Korra not depending on anyone to do stuff" because she's a strong woman. They saw the people was complaining that everything was handled to her just crying in season 1 and what did they do? ¡Let's fuck all the cycle now, you will see, Korra can do things by herself! That is how I see it. I think destroying all that to prove a point is pretty selfish.

That doesn't matter user, she was a grey morals villain until they decided to turn her into a full Evil Mc Badguy at the end in that fucking giant robot.

So, essentially, she is a victim of bad writing.

Bravo, Bryke!

The Unalaq/Tonraq fight was pretty good.

It wouldn't have taken much to make Kuvira an actually gray villain. Byrke just needed to tone down the Hitler/Mao parallels.

>make the negotiations with the governors go smoother with only hints of the terms not entirely being fair
>Have the concentration camps actually be education camps.
>don't round up foreign benders for the camps

They're all dead and gone forever. Can't have them upstage Korra :^)

I wish I could tell you those things user, but as was mentioned by the others who replied to you... but nope. Avatar Cycle rebooted wholesale. It was a ham fisted, badly-written plea by the series writers to stop comparing LoK to AtLA.

The other Avatar spirits, if they didn't just burn, are now entirely separate entities. (Since they existed separate from the Avatar and Raava after death, including literally doing shit like hunting Koh in their afterlife, this is reasonably likely.)

>Took charge when nobody else would (i.e., Suyin).
For personal gain.
>Restored a fractured, anarchistic continent to its prime in just three years.
Nothing suggests it was 'at it's prime' save diverting ridiculous amounts of resources to building super weapons. The people were no better off than they were under the queen, and arguably worse due with her repressing their rights, conducting purges, conscripting slave labor and stripping them of their natural resources.

>Did not allow the rightful sovereign to take his throne despite giving her word
Charming.

>there is decades worth of political corruption
You mean the Dai Li that have been wiped out within its offices or being advised by the only democratically elected head of state on the planet?

>Offered absolute peace and protection to Earth 'Empire' cities for the price of resources.
And giving up any independence, while stripping them to the ground and terrorizing the citizenry.

>Did not allow filthy water inbreeds
The only people on the planet who could stop a bloodbending hit squad or calm spirits. What forward thinking.

>and flame tossers
Who can crossbreed with her people to gain access to lava. She's almost as retarded as Korra.

>through her borders to soil Earth Empire's foundations.
Along with purging those who were there and had been for generations, regardless of whether they were productive, assimilated citizens or not.

>Negotiation reasonably for Zaofu to be assimilated into the Earth Empire
She walked to its front porch and demanded its leader (her patron and surrogate parent) surrender or she'd take it by force for no other reason than her own personal gain.

>Spirits wouldn't have even been present if not for Korra's terrible sense of judgement.

Which has nothing to do with the fact she pissed them off again for her own personal gain, which lead to innocents getting their souls ripped out.

>villain
Yes. Didn't the Hitler parallels give it away?

>It wouldn't have taken much to make Kuvira an actually gray villain.
Not arguing it wouldn't, but as presented Kuvira was a pretty awful person.

I hate all of the seasons.

To be fair, the first one was kinda fun if you ignore the sub par overarching story. The other seasons were just shit overall.

>kuvira is literally hitler, writers draw tons of examples hitler and other dictators
>season ends with Korra empathizing with Kuvira and understanding her desires

Bryke confirmed Hitler sympathizers

Very much disagree.

I just pretend it doesn't exist most of the time.

[citation needed]

Wan's origin doesn't match the lore of bending from ATLA.

Deus ex Jinora

Asami, Varric, and the Bending Bros' B plot arc was good, but took away from needed development time for Korra's story.

I can't. I'm not friend of headcanons, user.

At least, I have this. Korra decanonizes itself, no matter how many things its OWN creators say. There are plenty of things that doesn't match.

Just imagine that everything that happens in Korra is a fever-dream that Aang has about everything that can go wrong after he's gone.

The Wan stuff is very well-animated and competently-told, but it cheapens the mythology of the Avatar in a similar way that the Star Wars prequels cheapened the Force. Rava is the midiclorians of the Avatar world.

>or calm spirits
Man they loaded Waterbenders down with so many fucking special powers. Water! Ice! Healing! Blood! Spirits! Give spirit bullshit to Firebenders, since they're apparently the only ones whose emotions matter to their bending. There was that Firebending healer that Korra was taken care of by, it wouldn't even be weird.

They should have given spirit bullshit to the airbenders, since they're already starved for special abilities.

This. Exactly this. The only reason the Wan episodes stood out was because they were animated by Studio Mir.

That works too, though it would be fitting if Waterbenders healed physical wounds while Firebenders healed spiritual ones.

Airbending's pretty OP by itself but I agree, giving Spirits to Air makes plenty of sense too.

Giant blue Korea was dumb but it also had the worst villains. Uncle guy and evil spirit don't hold a candle to Anti-bender boogie man, scary fucking air bender and his team of super benders and the earth empire dictator. I wouldn't say I hate season 2 but it's the most forgettable

Damn I didn't realize there were others who feel the same way. Honestly I preferred the explanation that the avatar was the earth's spirit taking human form.

Legend of Korra season 2 is the star wars prequels and the matrix sequels all rolled into one.

It gave an origin story that while neato on paper, was completely unneeded and attempted to explain a powers that were well within suspension of disbelief. Then they take away korras avatar powers and destroy the meaning of the previous series by breaking the avatar cycle AND then giving it back to her, as well as make a being of pure evil for no other reason than to have something to fight. Add in bland characterizations, confusing motives and you get a really really bad season.

>Asami, Varric, and the Bending Bros' B plot arc was good,

No it wasn't. Asami's plot became the brothers since they literally had no reason to be in the story aside from one being a boyfriend and the other being the boyfriend's brother. Asami lost her agency, Varrick ended up just giving them a ship that they didn't use, the only thing from that plot they used was the bombs but instead of needing bombs they could have just not nerfed the Avatar State and had them still take on the blockade.

i think the only things about book 2 that really got me heated were her losing connection with all her past lives, no indication that vaatu would maintain the dark avatar cycle despite the fact that it was shown time and time again that you cant have dark without light and vice versa, and jinora SAVIN THA DAY which felt totally unnecessary and forced and dumb

really both book 1 and book 2 had some shit asspull endings that werent at all satisfying

i cant possibly hate book 2 because it brought in varrick and zhu li though

Oh I can hate Book 2 alright, fuck that shit. Season 3 at least was my favorite of all four.

I just finished watching season 1 and I thought the ending was really sad. Noatak knowing what Tarrlock was doing made it even sadder for me.