Isn't it weird how there are no real life superheroes?

Isn't it weird how there are no real life superheroes?

I'm not talking about the attention whoring dorks you see in pic related, I mean someone who has the money and means to become a fully capable vigilante.

Despite it being a crazy idea that probably wouldn't work, I still think it's odd that literally no one has ever actually tried to do it.

Ultimately, would it just be an impossible goal to accomplish?

Other urls found in this thread:

standard.co.uk/news/london/call-me-the-shadow-not-bromley-batman-masked-vigilante-speaks-for-first-time-about-his-war-on-crime-10320782.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Despite it being a crazy idea that probably wouldn't work, I still think it's odd that literally no one has ever actually tried to do it.
Because people who have tried must've failed or realized they've gone off the deep end.

It is very ineffective and risky, no way around it. That's why.

There have been a couple over the years. I think there was this ex-boxer who went around calling himself Phoenix or something.

To be fair, IRL lawenforcement is infinitely more competent than in any superhero world.

Phoenix Jones. The problem with guys like that is that they have fucking social media and promote themselves as a superhero. It's embarrassing.

>tfw having batman's grapple gun would make fighting crime so much easier

look up the guys who go to fight drug cartels in mexico or guys who go to fight poachers in africa.

turns out IRL Vigilantism isnt very effective so you need to work with local authorities or teams. The guy fighting poachers trained park rangers in spec ops and the guys fighting cartels are basically Frank Castle IRL.

>would it just be an impossible goal to accomplish?
We live in such a connected world that people are going to see you. It'll be pretty difficult to have a "hidden identity" for multiple reasons and once your identity is actually out there, everyone you know is basically in danger if you've at all managed to somehow be successful prior.

There are so many problems I don't know where to begin desu. Plus, if you had the funds to live life in luxury, not many are going to then go willingly put themselves in danger

Billionaires who want to make the world a better place do it by offering their resources and service as civilians and leave the death-defying feats and rescues to the people who are trained for that shit.

Want to put yourself on the line to protect other people's lives? Sure, go train to be an EMT or a firefighter or a cop.

For those of us who don't have the money to be Batman, you can train in preparedness and self-defense, but no one in their right mind goes out LOOKING for trouble like that. Even the careers I mentioned earlier never really want to be in those situations constantly, they're just the best-prepared and trained to deal with them, and willing to go in first when they do happen.

>look up the guys who go to fight drug cartels in mexico

You mean other cartels?

Mexicans are worthless in general. Their heroes are usually criminals

There's an army of punishers in the Philippines

I guess most people must realize that beating up crooks will never be an effective method to lower crime rate.
Someone with more liberal inclinations would be against the fascist action of assaulting someone who's actually a victim of society and someone with a more conservative mind would trust in the police to do their job

there are a bunch of autitstic manchildren who go out and try to be vigilantes, /fit/ is full of them, but you never hear about them because
>a. it's mostly b8
>b. some are genuinely good people who don't give a shit about publicity and want to actually do good work
>c. they are somehow smart enough to realize that the way to stay alive and not get caught by the cops is to not attract attention

>Pheonix Jones
He's a hack. At most, he drew attention from drunken brawlers and the media. No real crime fighting, no real vigilantism. Just an attention whore in a mask.

there are people who do this, you just don't hear about them

The Bromley Batman who would rather be known as The Shadow.

standard.co.uk/news/london/call-me-the-shadow-not-bromley-batman-masked-vigilante-speaks-for-first-time-about-his-war-on-crime-10320782.html

A. most real life conflicts of violence, real violence, involve guns....someone is going to die, making you dead or a murderer

B. Somewhat repeating the first point here, but life isn't a 1980s action movie....people don't go around committing crimes worthy of serious punishment armed with nothing but a mohawk, bandana, and switch blade....they have guns

C. Rich people don't get rich by being kind, the biggest criminals and sociopaths in this world are the ones with the means to possibly do this, and they got that money by being cut throat business people with little regard for the little man

And no, beating up someone cause they're getting picked on or sticking up for some girl at a bar does not a vigilante make

It would be hard to find crime randomly happening . I guess you could just walk around a high crime area but you're still not likely to see something all that bad happening besides a drug deal and some hookers

What are you going to do? Kill Hookers? Drug Dealers??
I'm sure people have done that

Besides all the points made in this thread. I think nobody mentioned the fact that it would be really fucking hard to actually fight crime to stop.
Just randomly walking down the street with a costume that draws all attention to yourself is not gonna work. At best you'll be stopping criminals from muggin you, but how many times have you seen a crime going down irl?

Saved this from /asp/ before they went full /wwe/

>guys who go to fight drug cartels in mexico

sounds interesting any links to read or watch?

Autodefensas. Though from what little I know of them, they get in a lot of trouble since they regularly break Mexican Gun Laws because it's illegal to possess anything that would effectively resist the Cartels.

There is a documentary about the autodefensas called Cartel Land.

>its the violent criminals are the real victims meme

What if you don't live in a city with big buildings

What can Batman even DO if he's in the suburbs?

Urbanize them.

Isn't that middle aged dude with the long hair and silver costumes known for "fighting" crime drunk or something?

Working on it...

Not to mention lumping conservative and liberal into specific mindsets ignoring it's not really a straight spectrum. There are "conservative" groups predicated solely on not strongly trusting authority.
Though ultimately it's just bad idea, and most Vigilance Groups I assume end up being a lot more of NWAs or pretenious clubhouses for guys who want to feel badass.
Then he could just drive around town.

Well-intentioned vigilantism is just a few steps away from deranged fascism.

There's nothing wrong with a brave citizen stepping in to stop a criminal for a citizen's arrest within certain limits, but someone like Batman going above and beyond to, say, investigate a crime syndicate or whatever is just going to get too legally messy.

Civilian law enforcement that's certified by and is accountable to the public is what can hold up in court. Is it perfect? No, obviously you don't need to reach far to see how bad it can get or be abused by those on either side of the law, but it's the best system that can ensure fair justice is mettled out.

I knew this fat guy in school who wanted to be a vigilante like the Punisher. Who knows where he is now

Does Trump count as a superhero since he will be deporting all the drug traders, criminals and rapists?

>but it's the best system that can ensure fair justice is mettled out
>the best humanity has to offer after thousands of years of development is corruption and incompetence

yes he does user.
unfortunately he's the hero we need, and not the one this sjw infested world deserves

But Fascists were responsible for completely wiping out the mafioso.

because those people go to be cops and get destroyed by the System

I understand global conquest is frowned upon, but for the people who submitted to the nazis things were great. Hitlers only failure wasn't the fascism, it was being too ambitious and growing the empire too quickly

Its a lot of money for thankless work and police would try kill you. And you can't just dodge bullets irl. Its more effective to be undercover

A grappel gun wouldn't magically work on all surfaces like it does for batman though

The white guys look like they were shop'd in

What about Abu Azrael?

It's not a meme. Small time crooks who rob for a living are the most visible face of a system that doesn't work. We are educated since our birth to believe that those who don't own aren't worth anything and that the only way to be "somebody" is to have power and monetary comfort. It's natural that people who don't own anything and have no power or proper education don't valuate their own lives and much less value the life of someone who has nice things and casts you out for not having them.
It's pretty simple to think that bad people are just bad because they were born like that and that you have nothing to do with it.
But the only real way to stop crime from happening would come from a change in society and the system we function in, that's why Batman will never win.

Go back to bed, Miller!

To do it effectively takes a lot of time, money and resources. Also factor in decent health/physique. With enough money you could train your own super heroes. But.....how do you pick them? What do you have them do? Why not just use your money to change laws or use security or the mob?

like, I know it might feel cool to make things up but none of what you said is true.
People commit crimes because it's an easy way to get what you want short term. There is nobody in first world countries that is denied a basic education or the opportunity for work for no reason.
You have a right to both of those things

people who steal do so because they choose to maaaaan work is stupid!

oh thanks OP!
you just reminded me of wanting to make a comic about "real life super heroes"

aren't these the fuckers from gta liberty city stories?

he should have stuck with mma

Did you just read the opening to kickass?

he isn't good enough to make a living at it
he is what we in the business call a "strong spaz" He's very athletic but lacks the technical skills to fight at a high level

Here's the thing about real life superheroes. The ones you see are mostly just helping homeless people because that's all they legally can do. Stopping crimes Batman-style is against the law for a variety of reasons (mob justice, could potentially beat up a police informant who was just about to crack a major drug den, killing the wrong guy, etc.), so any actually competent real life superhero would be someone you've never heard of because he's doing all he can to stay the fuck out of the public eye and would never admit to people that he stalks the streets at night looking for criminals to beat up. Also, as said, IRL law enforcement tends to be more competent than in comics thanks to not having to deal with bullshit like a clown that can kill millions of people with a chemical weapon at any second eating up resources and time. As cool as the fantasy is, if you want to help it's best to just become a cop.

>There is nobody in first world countries that is denied a basic education or the opportunity for work for no reason.

Is this what Republicans actually believe

Theyre called the united states armed forces

doesnt flipland have some sort of punisher as president?

not an argument

>There is nobody in first world countries that is denied a basic education or the opportunity for work for no reason.

Have you seen the conditions of some schools in the U.S?
>So few supplies teachers have to pay for them out of their own pockets
>Textbooks older than the students
>60 children to a class
>Non-functioning heaters
>Lead in the water
>Mushrooms growing from the ceilings
>Massive closing of schools

It's pretty fucking hard to pull yourself up from your bootstraps if you're a child who has to go through 13 years of that, and that's if you don't drop out first for any number of reasons.

And no, you don't have a right to a job in most (if not all) first world countries. In the U.S. the government sold out its people by rewriting the laws to make it easier for companies to outsource labor to foreign countries. Plus for a large part of out history it was hard for minorities to find work because it was legal to refuse to hire them solely based on their race.

>for a large part of out history it was hard for minorities to find work because it was legal to refuse to hire them solely based on their race
oh I didn't know this was still a law on the books, oh it isn't? moving on

I will say it one more time, committing crime is easier than working, you don't even need a high school education to get a job at mcdonalds.
stop making excuses for people who choose a life of crime.

mostly its teenagers that are looking to make trouble, and young adults that simply refuse to work. Yes, refuse. I'm from harlem BTW so shut the fuck up and stop trying to tell me of all people all the reasons you THINK people become criminals

No, now go away

>oh I didn't know this was still a law on the books, oh it isn't? moving on
Oh yes because the effects of several generations being economically disadvantaged thanks to both legal and social discrimination just evaporates the second the laws are changed.

>committing crime is easier than working
Maybe easier as in it's the more available opportunity for someone who's flat broke, , unskilled, uneducated and needs to eat TODAY. But unless you've clawed your way high up the totem pole it's high risk for shit reward. Low-level gang members selling drugs literally risk their lives for less than minimum wage.

It would still greatly assist in break-ins and get-aways.

>inb4 "you need a ledge"

There are real world vigilantes running around. Most are just community watch and charity types, running around, helping out the neighborhood, collecting food and toys and whatnot for the underprivileged.

A few patrol their high crime area, using baseball bats and crow bars beating on violent people. Those tend to get into real trouble and end up in the hospital or morgue.

With the law the way it is, and attorneys being the ever eager to help sue people things they are, it really is safest to just be community watchmen. Run around helping your neighbors, call the cops when anything serious is found.

Let's say that people/groups like the oil industry, terrorists, the American military industrial complex, human traffickers, etc are real world supervillains.

Who are the real world superheroes?

Yeah, Good Samaritan laws generally are for people who offer medical assistance (to prevent them from being sued if the person winds up dying or having permanent injury afterwards), the criteria for self-defense on behalf of someone else is different.

Guns are cheap and super effective.

Why would a billionaire risk his life when he could just hire someone.

Why would stark wear a metal coffin when drone is much better.

Real life is terrifying.

>Why would stark wear a metal coffin when drone is much better.
Because punching bad guys makes his dick hard.

Dorner tried

it was illegal for asians to own property and businesses much more recently than it was for blacks, as recently as the 1910s. Stop making excuses for cultural shortcomings by pretending its systemized racism

you keep claiming there is something stopping minorities from walking in to a mcdonalds and asking for a job application, yet there isn't. And your whole world view is shattered just like that

>Low-level gang members selling drugs literally risk their lives for less than minimum wage
it's really cute you think that. Have you ever even sold pot? Hundreds of dollars a day even for the lowest level guy, that's why people do it

you are so out of touch with reality it hurts. Take a walk north of 110th after dark, make sure to apologize for your privilege while you are getting hassled by bored retards that have never held a job because standing on the corner cat calling while they sell crack and collect welfare is a better use of their time

this myth that criminals are generally good people who are down on their luck will get you killed.. at least it would if you actually gave a shit enough to enter a bad neighborhood, but since it's all a fictional talking point to you I'm sure you never will

You should remember that most Americans came up through schools like that. 40+ students to a teacher, teacher pays out of their own pocket for supplies, textbooks older than the students (as the students are less than 15 year old for most of their lives in school, after all), heating systems that are "spotty" at best, bad water (cause most places are behind the standards for "clean" water at all times), etc etc etc.

So if most of the population manages to get through such conditions, find work, and only break the law about not smoking a bit of weed or driving while occasionally buzzed, explain how the criminal 2% or less of America can't manage the same thing?

It's easy--- they don't give a damn about the future. They might be addicted to drugs, and so they only care about getting their fix as fast as they can. They might just need a lot of cash quickly, and they can't run to daddy for a personal loan of $2500.

It's not just a lack of opportunities or lack of intelligence to perceive their opportunities, its a lack of caring about the consequences in the future.