China’s Softening Ticket Sales Are Drawing Hollywood’s Focus

>New data from comScore, a Virginia-based analytics firm, indicates that Hollywood is having a tough time in China. From Jan. 1 to June 30, Chinese cinemas played 24 movies from Hollywood, generating $1.76 billion in ticket sales. In the same period a year earlier, the country let in 22 Hollywood movies, which collected about $1.73 billion.

>Over all, box-office revenue in China totaled $3.7 billion in the first six months of the year, up 2 percent, an alarmingly low growth rate compared with what the market has delivered in the recent past. The slowdown is one reason the Motion Picture Association of America, which represents the six biggest Hollywood studios, recently hired an accounting firm to audit the box-office figures reported by Chinese theaters.

>Hollywood also wants to receive a bigger portion of ticket sales. Studios receive about 50 percent of box-office revenue in the United States, but China allows foreign companies to receive only a 25 percent cut. Studios have asked for closer to 40 percent.
nytimes.com/2017/07/13/business/media/hollywood-china-box-office.html
Are you ready for complete and total studio collapse?

>B-b-but muh chinks will save my movies!

Good, burn it all down and start over.

>Are you ready for complete and total studio collapse?

Yes, the sooner, the better. I barely watch modern Hollywood movies and just want to shitpost about its decline already.

FPBP

>chinks already sick of muh diversity
loving every laugh

>Bu..but...China was supposed to save Spiderboy:Homocuckening.

I honestly wouldn't mind if all the studios went bankrupt and no more films were made. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 movies in the past 5 years that were good not great. The world would be a better place without new movies at this point and it would force people to read more books or watch older classic movies

I used to resent the fact Hollywood now makes movies for the Chinese, but ever since I read China recently banned all depictions of Gay, Lesbian and Transgender depictions in film and television I've been over the moon. It took the Chinese to force Hollywood to stop pushing the gay meme. If Hollywood wants to make a buck, they're going to have to treat homosexuality in movies the same way they treat depictions of smoking, omitting them entirely! I look forward to a glorious future of faggotless blockbuster movies

>hire an accounting firm to audit BO profits
>suddenly they aren't as successful as promised
you can't make this shit up

I want to see Hollywood go bankrupt

Thank god. I am so sick of these trash movies that keep pandering to China.

>Studios receive about 50 percent of box-office revenue in the United States, but China allows foreign companies to receive only a 25 percent cut. Studios have asked for closer to 40 percent.
You cannot out-jew the chinks.

>black MJ
>the one Asian kid is fat and unattractive
>Flash is some Pajeet

No one sane would have thought that.

i don't understand china
why would and why did anybody ever bother to do business there?

> Bayformers pulled disappointing numbers even in China
You might see that or something close in your lifetime. Sooner rather than later. People are losing interest. China won't even need Hollywood in a few years. They'll have their own formidable film industry kicking.

RDJ was suppose to counter all of this.

based dicklets saving kino

This narrative pretty dies when you realise that Fast and Furious is huge in China, maybe they just don't like shit boring by the number kid movies like the Disney shit they get every other week...whats more if Suicide Squad were to be released there it would have made even more cash that it did.

what happens when china finally gets bored of the fast and furious movies?

Labor and supply prices. But everybody overlooked all the ethical issues (being cheap, jewing people out of what they want, cutting corners everywhere, shitty employee protections) because they wanted their quick buck yesterday. They'll just move things to Africa or whatever bumfuck 3rd world country is willing to work for $1 a day and no safety.

>only huge american studios make movies
dumb pseud

The movies are all getting dumbed down because the Chinese market is even more "LOL JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF BRO" than the burgers. Also we're still gonna get all the gay SJW shit, they'll just remove that trash in the Chinese dub.

>Are you ready for complete and total studio collapse?

You act like capeshit has disappeared

A fuckton of consumers at lowest cost of labour. The only real problem for a company is that if you go to china your product will get pirated and sold for less.

China's isn't going to budge. Hollywood wants them more than the other way around. they have the high ground.

so essentially they said
>its cheap, but we're gonna get buttfucked in the long run
were they retarded?

There hasn't been a good Spider-Man film in over a decade. Maybe it'll take time to rebuild the brand. Though it makes me wonder if MCU has reached its peak profits and if it's only downhill from here. Disney better tread carefully with Infinity Wars.

Tbf the marketing for Homecoming was awful

Hollywood just has to figure out how to adapt to the Chinese market and pander to it better.

China is still by far the biggest chance for even the shittiest movies to make tons of money.

Even though China has all these restrictions, takes a big cut of the profits of Hollywood movies shown there etc., in a few years there will be so many fucking cinemas over there, that all those restrictions, problems won't matter and pandering to China will continue to be the best option.

There must be something about the recent crop of burger movies that doesn't appeal to the Chinese... hmmm.. I wonder what it could be...

Based chinks killing Star Wars

When you have shareholders who want their dividends, you stop giving a shit about what's gonna happen in 5 years when your stock options finally vest in 2. Just meet their demands and leave just before shit goes down.

Like if you go to Paris and visit a place like Gucci or whatever, they will not allow you to take pictures of products not yet released and will stand there demanding you delete the picture.

tbqh Star Wars is mostly a 'murrilard thing, the world like capeshit and stuff like that.

GTFO with the nigger/LGBT propaganda + add Chinese actors = PROFIT in China.

It's not rocket science.

C H Y N A
H
Y
N
A

For solo hero introductions, they are where they are except for when you got such a novelty as Wonder Woman. Besides, people really don't want to waste their money on shit movies when they can easily never see it or wait 3-4 months for it to come out on digital release.

It's not cut and dry like that. They have their own cultural touchstones that are different than America's. It's why the Chinese never really gave a shit about Star Wars, but will eat up Fast and Furious because (besides appealing to their car culture) was a franchise many of their consumers grew up watching (pirated).

They also love their mystical/fantasy movies based in Chinese folklore and remain one of the few countries that will go see a movie if a big time star is willing to kiss some ass. See: Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise. Not to mention Hollywood animation blows their shit out of the water and they don't want to support Japanese creations in large numbers.

Does this mean they were lying about how much money they made the whole time?

There were always rumblings about the Chinese fibbing which movies made money. It's just that the growth overshadowed those talks and now that things are looking to stabilize, Hollywood wants to take a peek.

They always do. According to their "accounting" LOTR trilogy, Harry Potter didn't make any money.

Then we get Kaijukino.

>tfw have a shot at making the next Raybert/BBS Productions once the big studio collapse takes place
What a time to be alive

>Pajeet

He's ain't from India, Columbus. His parents are from Guatemala. He's a beaner if anything.

I would argue that the ticket sales are low because its a fast changing market.
Hollywood just cant keep up with it since they are so comfy with what they have been doing for te past 20 years.