Superhero Finales

Every superhero has a defined origin story. Superman gets launched from the dying Krypton, Batmans parents were shot in front of him, Spidermans uncle was killed by a thief he could've stopped.
I don't know of any superhero that has a defined way that they end. Nor really should they. But were a superhero to have to definitively end, how would you want it to go down?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ohreiBenzM
youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk
youtube.com/watch?v=FQmyn7UwOdY
view-comic.com/adventures-superman-046-2014/
view-comic.com/adventures-superman-047-2014/
view-comic.com/adventures-superman-048-2014/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Marvel released a bunch of one-shots/miniseries called The End, including one for the Marvel universe as a whole.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow or All-Star Superman are pretty good ending stories

-Daredevil starts getting old, slowing down, but still helping anyone he can
-He ends up stumbling into something big (human trafficking?), but has no time to call for help
-Throught the whole story, we see bits and pieces of Matt's life, the good and the bad
-His age catches up to him, and is mortally wounded
-Despite this, he makes sure to save everyone, and gives them enough time to get away from the villains
-Some heroes show up, new and old, but they only find at least 30 on the ground, and Daredevil barely standing
-And then he dies
-Daredevil, in limbo, asks only one question.
-"Was it worth it?"
-He's suddenly infront of the gates of Heaven
-Cut to a page with Matt crying, then showing him naked, and with wings

The end.

Superman
>Lois Lane dies of old age, he hasn't aged a day
>Superman falls into a deep depression, but never shows it
>Still stays strong. Still gets cats out of trees, still has something nice to say about everyone he meets
>Centuries pass
>millenia pass
>Enemies come and go
>Millions of years after Lois' death, Superman has finally become an old man
>Earths sun has long since become a red dwarf. He is near powerless.
>Eventually, it becomes clear that Earth will go the way of Krypton.
>You guessed it. Two scientists. Dying sun. Last hope.
>Elderly superman helps them by supplying some pieces from the shuttle he originally came to earth in. The last human baby is placed inside, and nestled in Supermans tattered cape
>this playing the whole time. youtube.com/watch?v=6ohreiBenzM
>The gravitional pull of the sun is too strong for the shuttle to get out of the system or something
>Superman allows himself to tap into the last bit of yellow sun radiation he has left inside himself.
>carries the baby out of the solar system himself
And he watches the last of his adopted race go to repeat the cycle. He sits down in space. Fuck you, superman can do what he wants. He watches with a tear in his eye and a smile on his face as the sun engulfs Earth and Superman. His last thoughts are of Lois. The last panel should be him imagining the time he caught Lois from falling, the first time.

shit dude i got chills picturing that

The entire Marvel universe lynches Reed Richards with crowbars

Fuck. That's perfect.

I'd like them to all peacefully die in there sleep at old age.

Not sure if you'd call it an end, but we all know Captain Atom has to blow up at some point or another.

Bruce Wayne's Batman's "End" is pretty good.

Fuck that's red son by Millar

Doom, come on, while I know you are right at least be subtle

These characters are going to be published forever so all you can do is give them hypotethical endings.

I tend to view Batman's as Scott Snyder defined it, that every writer has his own version of the ending of his Batman:
Miller has The Dark Knight Returns
Morrison has the future where Damian is Batman
Snyder himself has what he shown in Detective Comics #27 (New 52)
The animated universe has Batman Beyond
And then there is Kingdom Come

Superman has:
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, the ending of Silver Age Superman
All-Star Superman
Kingdom Come as well
And probably whatever Millar is going to write next

My only headcanon is that Captain America dies fighting the good fight, maybe an intentional sacrifice, maybe just a lucky shot for the villain.

In times of war there are no old heroes.

Perfection.

I ever thought in Earth X like a perfect end for the Marvel Universe. Shows the future and fate of the characters but also wants explain the origin of each heroe like part of a superior plan. I liked the form that every story was made to fit.

The Death of Captain Marvel is the most important Captain Marvel story.

Someone said this about Batman in a thread once. He should just throw himself in front of two parents with their child, when they are about to be shot by some mugger. It kills him, naturally. Not ceremonious, but dying to prevent another child having to go through what he did.

>I don't know of any superhero that has a defined way that they end.

Captain Mar-Vell. Cancer.

The others all came back from the dead.

Screencap this

Spiderman finally catches a break and settles down with MJ. He mostly gives up the Spiderman thing in his late 30s or early 40s, but still goes for a swing now and then.

you forgot DC One Million Superman

With great power comes great retirement?

Don't tell me what to do

That's basically the same as All-Star Superman.

A fitting ending for Batman is where he dies while being Batman. Whether he's saving the whole city or just one person. I loved his death scenarios in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, especially pic related

yeah but he didn't turn gold or reunite with Lois after a million years

I think a perfect end for Batman is being able to give a child back his innocence/childhood.

>Superman has:
-Red Son
-DC One Million
-Being murdered by Superboy-Prime in Infinite Crisis and resurrected by Nekron in Blackest Night
-Superbro's death

So he basically gives up on all his responsibility shit and just decides to live a comfy quiet life while watching crime take over the city?
Great ending, I guess it can't be worse than making a deal with the devil

He has a responsibility for his family.

Superman gives his life while reigniting the sun of New Krypton. He is heralded as the First Father of the Super-Men and still gives life even in his death

Bruce Wayne dies alone in an alley after being mugged. His life was unrightfully taken by the hands of common crooks. A private funeral was held. The top headline that day was of Batman sending Joker the Arkham Asyllum after foiling his plans

Wally West proudly sacrificed himself for the greater good of every living thing on Earth during a multiversal crisis. His body was converted into light and his essence was absorbed into the Speed Force

Wonder Woman fulfilled her purpose of reuniting Themyscira to the rest of the Modern world and turned back into clay

Hal Jordan vanished into the unknown regions of space to which even the Guardians fear. His will echoes throughout the vacum of space, and the tale of the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 spreads far and wide

The Martian Manhunter is not dead. His body is at rest on his home planet of Mars, but his consciousnesses is still alive through the minds of every living being throughout the universe

There's a lot of heroes and he ain't as young as he used to be.

People are allowed to retire. There's always going to be more problems, but Peter only gets one life.

It's never the end for him. He just winds up blowing himself into a different dimension or across the timeline or some shit like that.

>Millions of years after Lois' death, Superman has finally become an old man
>Earths sun has long since become a red dwarf.
Hate to be that guy just kidding I love it but we're talking more along the billions.
If DC Earth hasn't sorted itself out by then, well, that's really their problem. More importantly by the time the Sun begins to even reach the giant phase the environment on Earth will be uninhabitable. Dried up seas, trees, breeze and sands.

You really need to have made plans to jump ship well before it gets to that point. Probably a better idea to store genetic material in cryo on an arc ship, throw every form of renewable energy and AI into powering it, wait for the ship to find a terrestrial planet goldilocked from its main star and any other moons, planets, asteroids, that sort of thing and hopefully uninhabited on top of everything, get the AI working on cultivating some crops and wild life and then begin breeding and educating humans.

A senile Kryptonian towing a single human baby into the vacuum of space would be about as helpful for its chances of survival, let alone the human race, as chucking into the Sun.
youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

That's all we have for you this week! From your host, Lex Luthor, good night!
youtube.com/watch?v=FQmyn7UwOdY

All-Star Superman ends with him going into the heart of the sun, that's where Superman Prime ends up coming back from.

>yeah but he didn't turn gold or reunite with Lois after a million years

Didn't he? Superman Prime showed up looking golden in All-Star, I think. I expect that something very like the end of DC One Million happened in All-Star.

If the name spiderman had to continue, I could see him giving advice to Miles whenever he needs it. There's at least a 10 year difference. Maybe Peter has a kid himself with his powers and they decide to continue the name for him.

I wanna see an el bueno-looking spiderman swinging around from time to time

are they supposed to be connected?

In all star he's seen working the forge inside the sun but he doesn't turn gold, he turned into energy like Superman Blue/Red but it was golden energy however he look like his old self inside the sun.

The original Batman, that is to say, the one first published in Detective Comics 27, actually does have a finale.

Just because you say its impossible doesn't mean I can't find a way, Lex

I've always loved the idea that, at least for the more "super" of the superheroes, that their adventures never really ends but simply take on a new incarnation.

>are they supposed to be connected?

That was only at the start. He would turn golden eventually. Golden Superman Prime is one of the Supermen from the future who visits on the farm. See >Which one of my descendants are *you*?
>Ha.

oh yeah, I don't think the two stories are connected though even though they share a lot of the same characters and are both written by Morrison.

Because that would just make All Star a backup or prequel for One Million wouldn't it?

Although he never acknowledges the happenings of One Million in All Star, did the JLA have their minds wiped at the end of One Million?

All-Star Superman is supposedly non-canon, but Morrison uses him anyways because all of Morrison's stuff is interconnected.

oh ok that makes more sense

That's basically Red Son ending..

I thought that was a damn good book (or couple of).

I've always liked Batman Beyond's interpretation of Bruce's later years. A grumpy lonely old man who has driven away everyone who had cared about him through his paranoia and antisocial behavior..

You abandon his character if he ever retires while still having great power. 40 is way too old for that to be feasible. Think 70 or so at the earliest.

Ya'll niggers need to read adventures of Superman 46-48 (2014)

Hands down best ending for Superman put to page. It's a shame literally no one has read it.

view-comic.com/adventures-superman-046-2014/

view-comic.com/adventures-superman-047-2014/

view-comic.com/adventures-superman-048-2014/

>who has
They left. People like to play it up Bruce made them but he's said himself he's never ran everywhere. He's in the cave 24/7 they know where to find him they just decided not to.

It's the same thing with Superman, no one bothered to really look into how he was doing while an alien was titty fucking him for decades. The DCAU heroes are all terrible people, not just Bruce. Barbara's also the worst, she only ever showed up to give Bruce grief.

10/10

I like to think Bruce and Clark care about each other, at least a little. You're mostly right, though.

Bruce may not have gone anywhere but he certainly became a person not worth going to.

An open sewage line isn't chasing people off with a stick, but people will still avoid it because it stinks to shit. Bruce was a toxic person to be around.

Tommy Monahan was gunned down. Another crook in Gotham missed by few.

While not a superhero, this is something I always appreciated about Jonah Hex before the New52: we knew exactly when, how and at what age he died. We knew what happened to his body and (more or less) where it ended up. And that lent a whole new layer to his stories because no matter what crazy antics he got up to or how many times he cheated death, we as readers knew that there would come a time when death would catch up to him, and it wouldn't be a vague certainty: it would be historical fact, a recorded event, an actual tangible thing that we got to see.
Other similar cases are Sgt. Rock and Hans von Hammer, although their stories aren't quite as well documented as Hex, of whom we know pretty much everything there is to know.

>Bruce was a toxic person to be around.
I'm sorry, but I just can't see it. He's not a teddy bear, but he's still a good man.
He was still trying to keep Gotham safe as Batman and out of the hands of people like Powers while everyone else was either rolling over or retiring knowing they'd made the streets worse like Bane. He helped support Terry's family after their dad kicked the bucket, hell he's the only one who believed in Terry when everyone else figured him for just a punk.
I've found people just want to hate Bruce without clear reason to make it easier to dismiss his sacrifices. The worst that could be brought up on Bruce squarely is the nonsense the comics cooked up with Barbara getting pregnant.

No doubt considering it was Bruce sending Terry in his stead to figure out what was wrong with Clark that saved him and the rest of the planet from a Starro invasion when no one else could be bothered.

Spider-Man ending was perfect, but depressing as fuck.

I like to think Batman's definitive end is not actually dying in the line of duty, as I think he often gets shown doing.

A better end for him is, after living to a ripe old age, he gives up on helping the next batman and just goes back to Wayne Manor one last time as his health slowly gets worse and worse.

Eventually, Bruce walks out to three grave markers on the back lot. Two for his parents, and one for Alfred. Using the last of his energy, he starts to dig a plot for himself when Terry shows up and offers to help. Bruce refuses at first, but eventually stumbles and can't keep his hands from shaking. He sits and judges Terry while he digs the plot and finishes at dusk.

Terry climbs out of the hole and sits down next to Bruce as they watch the sun slowly descend past the horizon.

"You know, I've never actually asked... were you happy with how it turned out? Your life, I mean."

"Being happy wasn't the goal."

"Then try and be Bruce for once, not Batman."

Batman glares at Terry for a second before gazing back out to sea as a swarm of bats erupt from the cave below them. A smile passes over his face for a moment and he puts a hand on Terry's shoulder.

"Take care of Gotham for me," he rasps out before closing his eyes and falling onto the ground.

The ending of this issue

>Batman
Honestly, I'd love to see Bruce break the cycle he leaves the mantle to Dick and settles down with Selina or Dianna or Talia. continue the Wayne family and hope he never puts his children through what he went through

>Superman
>Daredevil
Matt fights and fights and becomes the emblem Hell's Kitchen needs

>Spiderman
Basically the same with Batman just settledown with MJ raise a family and move away from the city after Norman is put 7 feet under dry cement.

>Punisher
Bang Boom dies fighting the war possibly having a kid with Black Widow or Electra but until he's driving around in an electric Wheelchair with a double barrel under his blanket he'll fight the good fight.

>Captain America
Steve becomes the leader of SHIELD "Steve always has his SHIELD" and passes the mantle on to Bucky or his kid. Cap will outlive almost all the other heroes but Hulk and Thor and Namor

>Thor.
Lord of Asgard..

>Iron-Man
Tony works himself to dead saving the earth.

>Fantastic Four
They become literal Gods, The start of a new Pantheon where all the old heroes go when their time is over on earth.

>Cyclops
Leader of mutantkind raises his kids and watches humanity and Mutantkind bond.

>Red Son
Not the regular Superman, but a very alternate one

>DC One Million
Essentially the same future as All Star

>-Being murdered by Superboy-Prime in Infinite Crisis and resurrected by Nekron in Blackest Night
That's not an ending to his story

>-Superbro's death
We still haven't seen what happens to him or who he really is

All of Morrison's stuff is connected. The Superman Squad that appears in All Star is supposed to be the same as DC One Million. The backstory is the same. Even Superman Secundus (whose creating is alluded at the last page of All Star) is mentioned in the back story of One Million.

Cheesy as fuck

I see Doctor Doom becoming more and more reclusive, rarely leaving his castle, if it is even him. There's no grand final battle with Richards, just a slow fade into obscurity as he becomes withdrawn from the world. Maybe he's working in his lab? Maybe he's become lost in another dimension? Maybe he just had a stroke and died quietly in his sleep? There's never a straight satisfying answer about the fate of Victor Von Doom and nor will there ever will be. And any attempts to enter Castle Von Doom are met with the Castle's defense system and an army of Doombots, powered by whatever infinite source Doctor Doom created when he designed them. In the years and generations that follow, Latveria is broken up and Balkanized and reintegrated back into Europe. But Castle Von Doom still remains, untouched, guarded forever by an army made in it's creators image.

I like the one comic where Batman has a funeral and everyone he's ever known each comes up and tells a different version of how he died

He retires from being an adventurer and opens a shitty dive bar with the Cage's called Petunia's (he won the right to name the bar in a poker game). It pretty much becomes the top spot for the retired and reformed street level heroes and villains, as well as a certain talking duck.

Batman gets killed. That's the only logical ending for him.

Retirement is certainly not an option he'd ever take, I don't think it's in him. And even the I like stuff like DCAU Bruce and Kingdom Come Bruce, I don't think him continuing into old age and still being a mentor/remote crime fighter is fitting either.

No, Batman gets a little too old, a little too slow, a little too tired. And he dies. It would be more fitting if it was to street-level crime and not the nth coming of Starro, but it really doesn't matter.

>"The end of the story of Batman is, he's dead. Because, in the end, the Batman dies. What else am I going to do? Retire and play golf? It doesn't work that way. It can't. I fight until I drop. And one day, I will drop. But until then, I fight."

>Old Pig vs Bald Boss

I figure he'd just start working with a muscle suit or something, like Old Snake in MGS4. Maybe program it or something so it can do things like keep fighting even if he's knocked out? Neat idea for his last fight. Batman's dead, but the cowl, the image of him, is still fighting, still throwing punches, at whoever killed him.

This shit right here. So fucking much.

Death of Captain Marvel?

he wouldn't die. He'd become the new wizard.

>view-comic.com/adventures-superman-046-2014/

>batman using guns

dropped

>using the word toxic

might be time to lose the teddy bears and grow up son

>view-comic.com/adventures-superman-046-2014/

Batman used guns in his first appearances. Which is what that scene is showing, you dumbass.

Sup Forums doesn't read comics indeed.

I had no idea this site was a thing.
I like it.

kill yourself

dont care dropped

then i'll have to drop you too.
>dropped

>You really need to have made plans to jump ship well before it gets to that point. Probably a better idea to store genetic material in cryo on an arc ship, throw every form of renewable energy and AI into powering it, wait for the ship to find a terrestrial planet goldilocked from its main star and any other moons, planets, asteroids, that sort of thing and hopefully uninhabited on top of everything, get the AI working on cultivating some crops and wild life and then begin breeding and educating humans.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was the more logical recourse. Of course, some renditions of superman have his ship be a birth chamber and contain AI, so it was done limitedly in canon. Plus Jor-El knew earth was inhabited by a species similar to his...somehow.

But yea, any smart species wouldn't send a single male child. Either have a machine that can develop a child or send females cryogenically frozen with fertilized eggs to breed the next generation.

Also why only 1 ship, you should send as many as you can afford. Even the shit movie Interstellar got that right.

Jor El didn't know about Earth. He programmed the ship to scan for life on other planets and then go there when it found a suitable one.

which is weird considering that Krypton knew of New Genesis.

I guess Earth was just below their 'radar' of developed worlds.

1980s verison he was able to see what was happening on earth. Every take on superman origin is slightly different.

Birthright he also knew about earth.

The Immortal superheroes either keep fighting forever or eventually retire.

The mortal ones grow old, and those who can't/won't seek out some means of immortality will pass on their mantle to a new generation (likely their sidekicks).

Honestly, I'd love to see a run where the DC or Marvel universe worked within normal Real Life time. Like, Superman shows up in the 40's and is still around due to Kryptonian biology, but the original Batman has been dead since the 70's, with the current one either being a great grandson of some sort, or merely the latest Robin who took up the mantle when the last Batman got too old for this shit. I mean, the Flash basically does this, so why not other heroes? Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, and the Xmen are all characters from the 60's and 70's, but for fuck's sake Magneto is a WWII survivor! He ain't leading no Mutant League these days! Neither is Prof X! They should be regarded by the modern Xmen in the same way Malcolm X and MLK are in RL.

tl;dr: Make Comic Book Time and Real Life Time sync up.

Death
>the end of the universe
>or near enough anyway
>the last living organism is ready to die
>death comes to it and sits down next to it
>monologues about how she has seen every living thing in existence die
>how despite their own unavoidable deaths they all carried, with out exception
>some stuff about her family
>and then finally about how with this last organisms death means her death

The organism could be anything, a human like creature, superman but I think a mouse or something would work best

The only end of the hero's journey, I really remember was Captain Mar-vell.

He didn't know much about it. He found it at the last possible second and only knew about how the star would affect him.
But he did program the ship to seek life in Birthright.

whats with supermans bandages?

Batman gets shot by some random mugger somewhere

I'm not disagreeing with you that the current mythos has Jor-el programming machines to do the searching. I'm saying historically, the story was that he not only found earth himself, but knew about the inhabitants and what effects the sun would have on him.

callback to All Star. When Clark wore the lead lined bandages to protect his identity from his younger self.