I just want to ask a question that's been in the back of my head for a while

I just want to ask a question that's been in the back of my head for a while.

Is there a reason why there are a lot of Asian characters on American Dad? That's a secondary character, a main character raised in an asian family, and tons of one off characters.

Are there a lot of asian writers working on the show?

I mean, it's cool because I'm asian. But this is the first show I've ever seen where they make a significant non stereotypical presence.

Clearly it's a subtle commentary on Asia taking over the US government.

Francine has asian parents and Steve has an asian friend.
Simple as that.

one thing American Dad does right is Asians aren't a butt of the joke either
most Seth shows love to make fun of Asians
guess the writers of American Dad have Asian friends or something

China bought american dad

Toshi is literally a walking stereotype though.
However they also make a joke of how despite being a walking stereotype, none of his family is like that at all and they have no idea why he is.

Comparatively speaking, they are still a very minor percentage vs the entire cast. They just have a slightly higher presence then other McFarland material. The shitty mexifornica has more Mexicans than any other McFarland show, while Family guy has the most black guys not counting cleveland show which failed.

Despite saying that, other than the brows and the bartender there aren't many lack on family guy despite it having the highest percentage.

In American dad there is Toshi, his three family members, and Francine's three family members. Only one being reoccurring, and a few other guest and one offs.

It's really not that much.

God, toshi's sister...

Bruh

Toshi is close enough to the main cast to make him feel more than just a joke
i mean he gets some jokes played on his expensive that are basically just no one understanding him
but he really gets a lot of moments when he can shine as an actual cast member
so jokes that are about him being asian feel no different than ones about snot being jewish

its not like Family Guy when jokes involving an Asian person are just "LOL THEY'RE SO WEIRD"

>"I will not be a cliche!"
>Closes Japanese folding door behind him
>"SLAM!"

i think its more than just that
American Dad likes to put more background characters that are Asian in, and even one off jokes they put Asian in, jokes that don't involve them being Asian

Langley Falls refers to Langley, Virginia, which is now part of McLean, Virginia, whose population is 14.9% Asian.

Toshi is very stereotypical, isn't he?

There are lots of Asians in and around the Metro area.

needs to be mentioned

Toshi got the girl in the end. Just saying.

>Why do you speak Japanese? I don't even speak it!

Fung Wah sequel episode when?

he did kill a bunch of serial killers in a actual badass moment and is consistently the most competent of Steve friends

>is consistently the most competent of Steve friends
If we're not counting Steve himself, yeah.
Toshi's definitely the most deadly though.

APPLE APPLE APPLE

>toshi's sister dresses as chun-li
>Chun is chinese
That always pissed me off.

There's lots of blacks too.

American Dad just had good writers who don't fall back on lazy character design and keeps things from being samey. They can recognize there are options besides "white" and they can recognize they don't have to come up with convoluted reasons to make a recurring character a minority, they can just do it and it's done.

I know there'll be people who get triggered that I suggested having a decent amount of diversity has anything to do with good writing but you know, fuck 'em.

Í'm allways pissed off that americans cosplay as japanese characters i guess we share our autism

She's also a Japanese-made character and Japanese women cosplay as her too.

That doesn't bug me really. They're just having fun. I just viewed the toshi thing as getting the stereotypes wrong.

But Street Fighter is a japanese game.

Probably never, everyone hated that episode .