Which costume is better, Sup Forums?

Which costume is better, Sup Forums?

with underwears

The right looks fine, but the left is a good compromise if they're going for no underwear. I would like to see a yellow belt someday, though.

First Superman, Best Superman.

Left might as well be a costume in the X-Men movies. If Superman Returns had a more subdued belt and chest log, and made the chest logo bigger, it would have been the perfect modern cinematic update.

FUCK YAH NU 53

The one that doesn't look like an unnecessarily-overdesigned piece of garbage, complete with muted colours, basketball texture and sliced-up biker boots.

Yeah, the Lois and Clark outfit looks like an old circus strongman with a cape, but that's the point. These characters aren't meant to look like a piece of over-textured concept art, that's not what makes them great. Their words and actions do that,.

Left isn't the worst he's had but it does have some problems.

The belt and boots are distractingly bulky and complex compared to the rest. Yellow belt works better than a red one to balance the colors, and having the cape attach that low makes his chest/shoulders look less wide.

The right but less shiny.

I actually think the CW suit is fine but having no briefs automatically makes any Superman costume look way shittier.

The briefs look terrible, I fucking hate that we're always going to have some autists who cling onto them.

What's it like to be so wrong all the time? Must be a terrible burden

both are bad. the left looks horrible with that belt and the right looks horrible with the panties on the outside of the pants

Both are bad but first is obviously better for today's settings. We can't just act like aesthetics norms don't change. Only fat manchildren neckbeards do that.

A better alternative has yet to be provided.

One without a stupid red shorts, only oldfags and a bunch of shit taste faggot like that silly red shit.

Huh, left looks much better than I thought it would. Belt and boots are really bulky looking though
Right is trash get over the trunks already

Sorry we can't all be as serious and mature as you, user. :^3

I like goofy shit but red trunks? Nah.

>silly

God forbid Superman be silly.

I fucking hate people like you, and that DC actually listens to you edgy tryhard dickheads.

>Spitcurl
It's already 10/10

Left. Left is better.

Even when it was actually airing, there's a reason they rarely used the Lois and Clark suit. It was not good. That S is so weirdly shaped.

>edgy tryhard
I hate that shit and that's the reason I prefer MCU over DCEU. The red trunk is just stupid, Why don't you oldfags get over it already?

>the people that defend superman being silly are the same that somehow see him as a paragon of justice, an icon of goodness and the ultimate superhero
Do I need to explain why you can't have both?
A dude that is goofy and stupid is not awe inspiring.

silly=/=goofy and stupid

>he still doesn't get Superman

>A dude that is goofy and stupid is not awe inspiring.

Superman is awe inspiring because of what he does, not because of what he looks like. His costume is supposed to be the most non-threatening thing in the world. He wears bright primary colors and doesn't cover his face.

Superman doesn't worry about looking scary or authoritative. His powers do that for him plenty.

No, he wears that because that was the aesthetic at the time, and the colors represented the United States' flag. You people read too much into it. Superman never had actual design behind his suit, it's just a fucking template with red and blue.
Look at this, this is not a suit. Those boots have been drawn that way for a million heroes, even Wonder Woman. The undies were fucking standard, so was a cape, then you paste an insignia on it, there's your superhero template.
You expect this shit to sustain itself for over 60 years?
It doesn't need the gross textured spandex that every live action hero has, but at least it should look acceptable to grown man, doesn't matter how fantastic his powers are and how out of reality his entire concept is, when it's brought to live action it is real.

Right. By a long shot.

The briefs provides a good pattern.

His suit looks awkward without a good portion of red in that area.

Same. This belt having some yellow is a nice reference to the undies though

Left would be fantastic if it weren't for those awful shoulder bits on the cape.

This.

>there's your superhero template

Yeah, it's almost like other capeshit comics artists used the same template! I wonder, was there maybe some really, really old superhero that wore a cape, those boots, undies, and an insignia on their chest? I wonder who the first hero to wear that type of get-up was!

If you think the first was Superman, then I have bad news for you.

>another textured rubber superhero suit
>dark, dull colors again

No, but the popularization of the look is divided up between Superman and Batman. Yeah, others may have had a few of those traits, but you're lying if you mean to tell me that you don't think of early Superman or Batman before anybody else when you see a colorful diaper and a cape on a comic book character

I know Superman inspired pretty much everyone else after him for a bunch of years, that doesn't make his costume any more inventive, as it was inspired by a couple of older heroes like the Phantom. A really bad design inspired another that inspired hundreds, just because nothing like that had been done before and because creative minds weren't really involved in comic books for a good while.

Apart from the belted briefs, there's not really any similarity between Superman and the Phantom's costumes.

>went from shirt and pants to long johns
>has a belt for no practical purpose

Because they are hardly costumes. It's just a body suit in one color, boots, belted briefs and then remove the cowl and add an cape.
There's too many superheroes that use this template it's impossible to count.
When people change Supe's costume they are just trying to add actual design in it. Sure it's hard as balls given the source material, so normally it's garbage, but at least they are trying.

superman is a whole bunch of different shit that was ripped off and put into a single character, it doesn't make him any less iconic or any less the template for everyone's super hero.

cape, spandex, symbol on chest, that's the template.

you can credit phantom with being the briefs on the outside and a logo but it's not in the right place

This, plus those lines at the waist and where leg-joins body need something or else he looks like he's wearing NOTHING AT ALL...
NOTHING AT ALL...
NOTHING AT ALL...

what's with the boots on the left one

The one on the right. Color scheme and design are much better overall than the one on the left. Four red, two blue(even though the blue is really a one piece), two yellow all in locations that compliment and enhance each other making the costume look uniform.

Superman on left has a huge glob of blue in his center that overpowers both the red belt(which gets lost) and even the crest.

That's not my point, my point is that because Superman is a rip off of about 5 characters, visually he looks like shit, because only a handful of people had taken their time to actually design characters at that time. Because of that he just wore a pajama with a cape. People wanting that on a modern film is stupid, he wouldn't fit at all.
>he's not supposed to fit in it's a fantastical comical world superpowers realism is trash bring goofy light hearted back NYAA!!!
Well then what's the point of adapting him in the first place? If you want a comic Superman just read the bloody comics.

tacticool armor lines from the fucking terrible nu52

Stupid sexy Superman.

it's iconic, there's no reason to fuck with his costume, in universe or otherwise.

Batman has a million different suits because it fits his character, Superman can fly around naked it doesn't fucking matter what he wears.

what exactly would you change about the costume?

Its basic visual design you need to break up his suit.

Why do you take as a given that a simple costume is bad design?

The colors are the design
Phantom wears grey because he is mysterious. Superman is a public figure so he dresses to stand out.

It'd take time for me to engage that seriously, I need to sketch a bunch of things and see how they feel. That's the problem, it's hard to make his suit look good.
My problem with the Lois and Clark suit is the belt (there's nothing on it, so it looks like a plastic toy), the insignia should be a separate piece and the briefs should just be pants that are colored red around the waist.

>briefs should just be pants that are colored red around the waist.
That would work its not ideal but it at least works visualy.

It's a fine design for the time, it's shit now.
It's like how you watch 50's sci fi and all the robots and shit they create still follow the 50's aesthetic, because the human mind can only relate to what it knows and it has seen. Time change, so does the aesthetic.
Superman is living 2016 now, Want him a life action movie, then he should look the part, like everyone else should, like everything else should. It's about composition.
You'd don't put a man wearing something akin to a modern children's costume next to the Batman. While he needs to stand out opposite of Bat, and Aquaman and everyone, because he represents different things, he still can't break your immersion by looking like a Geroge Lucas late CGI addition to the movie.

Supes should stand out he is the moral center of the league.

You're confusing design with style.

so you wanna make him look like Spiderman?

rofl gr8 response

I'm okay with no trunks in the live action adaptations.

But I want him with the trunks in the comic books, because comic books are comic books.

See, he understands context.

In complete honesty? The one on the right.

Left isn't BAD per se, but it's not ideal either.

>Its basic visual design you need to break up his suit.

When will this meme stop?

The design without the red undies works perfectly fine visually, you're all just too much used to it. Just look at Batman, Flash, Shazam, Captain Atom, Red Tornado... nobody complains about their lack of undies to break up the color.

Why is every cape show and film so deathly afraid of using bright colours?

Well batman for one is meant to blend into the shadows.

What greater purpose do Supermans red underpants serve then?

I was never a fan of the spandex.

muh grimdark

I hate every single last motherfucker that says "DA RED UNDERWEAR IS JST STUPAD AND CHLDISH!" Red Underwear FTW

They're afraid of colors making everything look too cheap.

Agreed, I always saw the underwear like Jayne's Cunning Hat "A man walks down the street in that, people know he's not afraid of anything."

The DCEU suit is the best one. These look cheap. As for the new one, the red belt looks dumb, the way the cape attaches is stupid, and the actor is weak.

Meta reasons - They break up the blue of his costume and help conceal actor dick lines.
In universe - They're a disarming mechanism. You know how you guys that hate them always go "I can't tale him seriously! He looks silly!"?
That's a GOOD thing. Because taking Superman seriously or logically leads to fear of him.

Superman is like Santa Claus. You take away the big red suit and the reindeer in an attempt to make him serious and you know what Santa becomes? An old fat guy that breaks into homes and spies on children.

>These look cheap.
Superman's costume is made by his midwestern housewife mother. It *should* look kinda cheap.

I kind of like this design. It's simple and is more humanizing than fucking ugly armor..

Don't be ridiculous. If it was the X-Men movies it would be black with red piping.

Is that true of Supergirl's Superman?

>You need to have something there to break up all the blue!!!

We don't know yet.
But I can say that home made costumes in general humanize characters and that if they go a route in which his costume is not home made that is probably a bad idea.

Supergirl's costume is homemade but it clearly uses the same blue material.

Yellow belt with a red motif on the sides of the blue

So far, Supergirl has generally leaned towards older iconic elements like "his debut was catching a crashing plane", I think they probably did mention Ma Kent sewing the suit at some point, given Kara made her own too rather than getting some prefabbed Kryptonian uniform out of a spaceship.

Red kidneys fan designs look retarded. They're like all the seams on the Nu52 outfits being random zigzag shapes, it looks like some awkward, nonfunctional, nonsequitur design idea like somebody's kid broke into the art department and started smearing crayon on the concepts and coloring outside the lines.

Honestly, you don't need red at the waist. Just a plain yellow belt is fine for color balance since there's so much red already with the cape and boots but the only other yellow on his outfit is the S-shield.

They costumes doesn't hate to be functional.
The yellow belt is fine, but it still lacks something. Maybe a red and yellow belt but that's the easy way.

>The undies were fucking standard, so was a cape, then you paste an insignia on it, there's your superhero template.
Gosh it's almost as if Superman is the genre codifier or something.

>You expect this shit to sustain itself for over 60 years?
It did.

perv

What exactly do you think you're proving with that picture? Because Zoom looks fucking weird with his arm covering his belt and Flash has a big thick yellow belt to serve the similar purpose to the trunks.

You do realize Flash is wearing red and Zoom is wearing yellow, right? You're not that stupid, are you?
Of course you are.

Also, red and yellow are complimentary colors, you can get away with solid red and yellow highlights, but red and blue are not complimentary, solid blue with red high lights looks off, same way a solid red suit with blue highlights would look off. You need more red to balance out the blue in Supermans uniform.

>Just look at Batman, Flash, Shazam, Captain Atom, Red Tornado... nobody complains about their lack of undies to break up the color.
Batman is black and grey, or lue and grey, complimentary colors. Flash and Captain Marvel (fucking kiddies calling him Shazam) are red and yellow, or red, yellow and white. Red Tornado is mostly red and yellow with no blue on the body, only on the cape. Captain Atom has blue and red, BUT his skin is supposed to be metallic so the artist can use lighting and reflections to break the blue.
You, you overbaked potato skin, know nothing about design.

The right. This weird basketball texture everyone seems to love to use for costumes now is getting real fucking old.

Red's complementary color is green, yellow's is purple, blue's is orange

Damn, that was fast.

Go drink cement mate.

I can't stop thinking about his ass.

That's true but I think that user is talking more about the whole warm/cold analogous colors deal. Like, red, orange and yellow are all warm so you can do a costume of just those colors and it works because they're all kind of similar. But Blue and red are polar opposites so there's a whole lot more contrast and thus you need to balance it more.

The right. The left nu52 design will never look good, and he's wearing fucking high heels.

Left without a doubt. Undiesfags are the fucking worst.

>The left nu52 design will never look good

It could've been good. But we're not allowed to have good things lately when it comes to Superman.

Is almost like the DCEU have a higher budget.

I laugh at the idea that the red undies and tights where acceptable in the 50's and only recently became silly. You know the idea was silly in the 30's, too, right? You know how many ancient comics have some wisecracking gangster asking what Superman is doing in that "crazy gettup" or whatever? Wearing a circus strongman leotard in public wasn't socially acceptable back then. It looked just as goofy back then. But you know what? That's just what the uniform is. When I see a naval officer or marine in full dress regalia, sword and all, despite the fact that wars haven't been fought in those uniforms for generations, I don't think it looks silly, I just accept that that's what the uniform is.

The 70's where one of the most cynical eras, but guess what, they still put Reeve in the red tights, right in front of the American flag.
Superman will be wearing underwear for the next hundred years, just like Mickey Mouse will be wearing his suspenders.There might be some periodic changes, but the iconic image is too entrenched for it to ever change permanently. This isn't the generation that's going to make a permanent change to Superman.

Mickey Mouse doesn't have suspenders.