What would the MCU have looked like if Marvel had the movie rights to all of their characters from the start?

What would the MCU have looked like if Marvel had the movie rights to all of their characters from the start?

A lot better, minus anything Deadpool related.

Well had they Spider Man from the start they wouldn't have to turn every character into Spider Man and we wouldn't have the quip fests we have now.

It will FLOP hard, the reason that MCU is so good because all the big shot characters are not with them.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

The reason why Fox and Sony went with F4 Xmen and Spiderman it's because they were Marcel's biggest characters. It gave Marvel Studio the opportunity to flesh out the rest of their other characters

Cry more, faggot

No one wouldn't had heard about GOTG; Ant-man and Strange wouldn't get a solo, and maybe not even Thor.

It would be shit because x-men belong in a seperate universe

Nothing but X-men and Spider-man films
Probably a F4 trilogy
Cap, Hulk and Ironman would probably get a movie too but we'd never get Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Black Panther, GotG ect.

It wouldn't have happened. They only did it in the first place because they didn't have any A-listers, but they DID have the founding Avengers.

Probably worse.
>more Spiderman movies
>more xmen movies
>Fantastic 4 movies

No Dr Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Ant Man which despite whether or not you like the films make for a more diverse roster of characters that might never have seen the light of day on the big screen.

SAY HELLO TO MOVIES STARRING HUGH JACKMAN, BABY

Dude... what if WB didn't have the rights to Batman?

They didn't originally, FOX did.

A lot less originality. Not having access to their most popular characters caused Marvel to start pushing their less popular ones. I'm pretty sure the general populace didn't know who Iron Man was and now he's one of the characters that is heavily associated with the company, along with GotG and Ant-Man and soon other characters like Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.

You didn't enjoy selective racism against mutants but not people who got their powers in other ways in ultimate?

Well, that leads to a whole set of other assumptions, doesn't it?

Marvel sold off its biggest characters' movie rights because they were bankrupt, and when they became un-bankrupt they had nothing left but B-listers like Iron Man.

So if they never went bankrupt that might mean a completely different marvel than the one that made the decisions that led to their bankruptcy in the first place would be the one handling Spider-Man, X-men, and F4 movies. Or they might not have gotten into movies at all, being secure in their finances, and superhero films would be as niche as they were in the pre-X-men, pre-Raimi Spider-Man days.

But if we put that all aside and assume that somehow MArvel stole back the rights from Fox et al but largely remained the company that eventually settled on what would become the MCU, I imagine that the whole MCU of this time period would be much more like the "X-Men universe", kind of like the way Fox is running its "Marvel U" now.

The thing with Iron Man, Cap, etc, and Marvel having to start with them is that for the most part the Avengers are different heroes, with different settings and different "worlds", so they got practice with introducing other parts of the Marvel U and eventually bringing it all together under the Avengers banner. Contrast that with X-Men, which started as a single group...and stayed that way.

That said, I imagine an X-Men centric MCU would be a lot more TV-focused, because having a larger ensemble works better in episodic formats. The movies might be the big events that bring the casts of multiple TV shows together for a big battle against the bad guy.

Probably a lot worse.

They would be too eager to focus on Spider-Man and the X-Men that all the other characters would probably be secondary. The Avengers probably wouldn't have been a big hit either. They would have gotten sloppy.

I think Marvel taking what they got and building a brand is what made it work. Nobody cared about Iron Man before his film, and now he's one of the most famous heroes out there. Then they built up to Avengers slowly. If Spider-Man or X-Men were involved from the start, it would have been a check list of the most popular stuff they done and the rest would have been an afterthought.

It wouldn't.

You're assuming they'd still exist, but without the money raised from the sale of the X-Men rights in the 90s, they'd have gone under because of the comic book crash. Without the payments they got each time a new movie was made - not just X-Men, but Hulk, Spider-Man, Blade, even Ghost Rider - in 1998, 2000, 2002 (twice), 2003 and 2004 (three times each), 2005 (twice), 2006, and 2007 (three times) there wouldn't have been much of a Marvel Comics, let alone a Marvel Studios. 16 movies in 9 years by other studios is the only reason they were able to get the loans they needed to start their own real production company - four times as many movies as were made in the previous 20 years.

Don't forget that they would also have made a little back from the Men in Black movies, which were huge; as well as from tv shows like Blade and Mutant X. Cartoon-wise, where they did hold the rights and only partnered with production companies on a temporary basis to get a show made, you have more of an idea of how things would have gone if they'd held all of the rights to live-action and somehow magically had the money to act on those rights - Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four.

But it's hard to play what-if, because it's likely that, just as those live-actions rights were sold off because other companies thought they had value, the cartoons were only made because the partners thought it was a good investment. Looking at the early MCU - Hulk and Iron Man, followed by Captain America and Thor - suggests they would have gone that route anyway. Yes, Spider-Man is the easily successful property in most media, but Cap and Iron Man and Hulk have all been so up and down over the years you might just as well make Hellcat movies. It's a question of whether they believed in their ability to make movies people wanted to watch, not of what was ultimately popular.

>Didn't like Deadpool
Sorry are we interrupting your serious comics for mature adults like yourself?

>they did have the founding Avengers
>but not really because Edgar Wright is a fucking diva and they didn't get Ant-Man out anywhere close to on time
>they also made Cap's Kooky Quartet impossible for no reason other than to decrease conflict with Fox

Fox has X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and had Daredevil.
Sony has Spider-Man and had Ghost Rider.
Lionsgate had Punisher and Man-Thing.
Universal has (or currently partially has) Hulk.

Most of these characters were huge franchises in comics at one point or another except for Man-Thing. So Marvel had to rely on Avengers which they hadn't sold off (but almost did; they almost sold off Thor to Sony and Captain America to WB until David Maisel stepped in and convinced them to do Marvel Studios).

If Marvel had all of them then they'd be focusing on just Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, and maybe a few others.

Actually that's a good question, Fox had the rights to Batman back in 1966. They even did a pilot for Wonder Woman that didn't go anywhere.

Imagine what would happen if the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman was somehow made under Fox and the Adam West Batman still did well enough in reruns like Star Trek that they go and do Batman films the way Star Trek brought back the old cast.

Oh yeah, forgot that New Line had Blade at the time, too.

I think he meant that Marvel Studious would have made worse Deadpool stuff

They would have wrapped it around Spider-man and X-men... it'd be dead by now.

>I have no counter argument to what he said.
>i'll call him a faggot
>h..here i go!

Funny. I thought the same thing about DC and the Punisher.

Uh you misread that bro. He's saying Deadpool was done so well by Fox that Marvel wouldn't have done as good a job.

It all depends on when Marvel decided to make their movies. Not now of course, I would say they'd try their "Universe" in either the 1980's or 1990's. Why? Because they had their cartoons on around that time.

I believe that Spider-Man would have been the focus, with X-Men being their second choice due to the popularity of X-Men:TAS at the time.

A third choice would have been either Hulk or the Four. Personally I'd wager the Hulk, but due to the Four being more classic Marvel that might be the choice they'd go with.

If Marvel had the rights for any and all characters we'd might never see anything more than mainstream heroes or villains.